inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Prayers/Thoughts Needed

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/07/07 at 3:15 pm

We have just heard the most awful news-Carlos tested positive for prostrate cancer.  :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(  To add insult to injury, the doc who preformed the test knew about it since Wednesday but STILL haven't informed us. Carlos had to go through his regular doc to find out the results.  >:( >:( >:(

Anyway, we can use all the thoughts and prayers we can gather. We don't know much at this time but we will keep you all up-to-date.

Cat

Subject: Re: Prayers/Thoughts Needed

Written By: ladyhawk on 12/07/07 at 3:20 pm

If you guys need anyone to talk to Wayne and I are both here for you. I have some experience with a close loved one with cancer that I dealt with on a daily basis. So if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/07/07 at 3:21 pm

Oh no. My thoughts, prayers and get well wishes are with Carlos.  ((((HUGS))) for the both of you.

Written By: lorac61469 on 12/07/07 at 3:22 pm

Oh, God.   :(

Of course you and Carlos will be in my prayers.  

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/07/07 at 3:25 pm

I'd ask for a biopsy immediately if you haven't gotten one to see if it's local or if it's spread.  If it's local he'll most likely be fine, relatively simple surgery.  I am betting if the doctor didn't think it was serious enough to inform you immediately that it's a less aggressive, localized prostate cancer, but I'm not the doctor, you should follow up ASAP.

I don't think Carlos has to prostrate just yet :D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/07/07 at 3:29 pm

Oh, Cat...that's horrible news!  :\'(

I do hope it was detected early and that Carlos pull through this alright...my thoughts are with you both! (HUG)

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/07/07 at 3:40 pm

How awful!  I'm so sorry to hear this.  I'm sending good thoughts your way for a speedy recovery and for the strength you'll need through this trying time.

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/07/07 at 3:43 pm

Thank you all.  I'm sure this was detected early, and I guess I'll get through it.  I am pissed with the doc who did the test for not getting back to me asap.  I know that there are several treatment options, and we will explore all of them before I decide what to do.  Again, I know we will get through this, and I will still be the man I am now.  Again, thank you all for your good wishes.  We will keep you informed. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/07/07 at 3:54 pm

My thoughts are with you both.

Written By: Marian on 12/07/07 at 3:58 pm

Thank you all.  I'm sure this was detected early, and I guess I'll get through it.  I am pissed with the doc who did the test for not getting back to me asap.  I know that there are several treatment options, and we will explore all of them before I decide what to do.  Again, I know we will get through this, and I will still be the man I am now.  Again, thank you all for your good wishes.  We will keep you informed. 
That's good that it seems to have been caught early.A lot of people have survived this disease,so that should be a good thing to remember.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/07/07 at 4:03 pm

Carlos & Cat-

Our (Ladyhawk's & mine) sincerest prayers are with you.

Please feel free to contact us, either of you, should you need to talk.
Would that we lived closer to each other.....

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/07/07 at 4:05 pm

Thanks everyone for your good wishes.

Cat

Written By: Jessica on 12/07/07 at 4:24 pm

I'll light a prayer candle for you this weekend. I know you'll get better though. You're Hispanic. We live forever just to piss off everyone. :D

Written By: Red Ant on 12/07/07 at 4:28 pm

My thoughts will be with the both of you.  

Ant

Written By: Tia on 12/07/07 at 4:37 pm

im sorry cat and carlos. my heart goes out to you.

Written By: thereshegoes on 12/07/07 at 4:46 pm

Fuerza,compañeros.

http://i2.tinypic.com/6q28nb7.jpg

sorry Chucky

Written By: Jessica on 12/07/07 at 4:52 pm

Fuerza,compañeros.

sorry Chucky

Amen.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/07/07 at 4:53 pm

Fuerza,compañeros.

sorry Chucky

I wish I could give you more karma.

Cat

Written By: TigerMystic on 12/07/07 at 5:42 pm

I'm sorry to hear the news about Carlos, Cat.  ((((HUGS!!!))))   I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers, and envision Carlos enveloped in green healing light sealed with pink Love.

http://i14.tinypic.com/6xgrgwp.jpg

I found some very inspiring readings that perhaps, at some point, you'd find of interest and support: http://www.healingcancernaturally.com/healing-cancer-and-your-mind.html

Written By: karen on 12/07/07 at 6:38 pm

Sorry to hear your news Carlos and Cat.  Thinking of you both

I hope it was caught early.  If so, I've heard it is relatively easy to treat and get rid of.  My husband's uncle was treated five or so years ago and has been fine since.

Written By: Tia on 12/07/07 at 6:57 pm

I hope it was caught early.  If so, I've heard it is relatively easy to treat and get rid of.  My husband's uncle was treated five or so years ago and has been fine since.
those are the stories i like to hear.  :) for so many reasons.

Written By: Green Lantern on 12/07/07 at 7:00 pm

Hi Don. Sorry to read this news. Hope all goes well for you !

Al.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/07/07 at 7:16 pm

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry to hear this, but I am praying and hoping that if it is the localized kinds, you'll beat it just fine! You both have been fighters against many things this year, so don't let this one get you down! You can make it through this trial!

Written By: Red Ant on 12/07/07 at 7:16 pm

Fuerza,compañeros.

*image removed*

sorry Chucky

It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission.  

As much as I agree with the picture's sentiment, you know it had to come down. I've put up a slightly different one in its place.

Ant

Written By: Dagwood on 12/07/07 at 9:03 pm

Cat, you and Carlos are in my prayers.  {{hugs}}

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/07/07 at 9:11 pm

Oh no!

My thoughts are with you both at this time.  You have lots of friends here for support and with all our best wishes and healing energies going to you, I'm sure you will both get thru this quickly and successfully.  *hugs to you both*

Written By: snozberries on 12/07/07 at 11:44 pm

I am so sorry to hear this.... I don't pray so I'm putting all my energy into positive thoughts for you both!!!

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k151/apestrole/prayers%20and%20thinking%20of%20you/positivethoughts.gif

Keep us posted on the progress...cuz there will be PROGRESS!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/07/07 at 11:46 pm

Sorry to hear your news Carlos and Cat.  Thinking of you both

I'm thinking from the la-di-da way the diagnosing doctor treated this news that it was caught early, which means Carlos will have many more decades of bugging conservatives :D  If caught early, men have about a 95% chance of survival without recurrence so it should be all good :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/07/07 at 11:57 pm

I'll be praying my ass off for you Carlos, and for you too Cat. very emotional news. I hope for the best treatment for you from wherever it comes.  It's a blessing that you have each other. Take good care

Written By: La Roche on 12/08/07 at 12:02 am

Yeah, give him my best won't you!

I'll expect him to use his time resting up to prepare for a good argument debate!  ;D

Best wishes mate, I hope you're feeling top of the world soon.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/08/07 at 1:03 am

oh sweetie, I'm so sorry to hear of this news. Please know that the two of you will be in my daily prayers. My mom, grandma, and aunt ALL had cancer, and survived. Please don't ever give up hope. If you ever need to talk, PM me.

Hugs to you both.

Written By: whistledog on 12/08/07 at 1:17 am

Dang, that's terrible news :\'(

My thoughts and prayers are definately with you guys

Written By: Davester on 12/08/07 at 2:16 am

My best wishes coming your way Cat & Don...

Written By: NbC on 12/08/07 at 3:54 am

So sorry to hear of this terrible news.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and Carlos. 

Written By: Henk on 12/08/07 at 5:01 am

Very sorry to hear this news, Carlos & Cat.  :(
I can't imagine what you must be going through right now...Probably some kind of whirlpool of emotions. But I also know that the two of you have always managed to stick together and pull through so far, so why should this time be different?

Know that you're in my thoughts & prayers.

Written By: Howard on 12/08/07 at 6:59 am

My condolences are with you. :)

Written By: karen on 12/08/07 at 8:10 am

Another useful (?) resource

support group

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/08/07 at 10:57 am

Thank you one and all for your good wishes. Yesterday seems like a dream-well, more like a nightmare. Didn't sleep that great last night-which I'm sure is no surprise. Carlos slept pretty good with the help of a few glasses of rum last night-again, I'm sure is no surprise. Today seems like any other day but yet, it seems like the whole world has changed.

Cat

Written By: statsqueen on 12/08/07 at 6:50 pm

Carlos & Cat,

I'm in Rice's camp....you should definitely be furious with the doctor sitting on the results, but maybe it is also a sign that it hasn't metastasized.  I know you will follow up with an oncologist to see exactly the location, size, etc.  I have known several men who had it, caught it early, treated it, and have gone on to live active, full lives cancer-free.  I wish the same for you.

My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

If there is anything I can do, please PM me.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 12/08/07 at 11:10 pm

Carlos and Cat - what a shock. My thoughts are with you both through this.

My dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer 5 or 6 years ago and came through it all very well.

Sending you Aussie warm fuzzies and positive thoughts.

xxx

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/09/07 at 11:22 am

Thanks again everyone. I have finally convince Carlos to tell his family. He told his sister, dad & two of his kids (one was sleeping and the other he hasn't called YET!). I haven't told my family yet. I want to talk to one of my sister's first-which we keep missing each other. I'll talk to her before the end of the day.

It still doesn't seem real.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 12/09/07 at 11:26 am

so is he getting a follow up appt soon? a second opinion? what's the next step?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/09/07 at 11:39 am

so is he getting a follow up appt soon? a second opinion? what's the next step?

Good question. He is going to call the doc tomorrow to ask that very same question.

Cat

Written By: Paul on 12/09/07 at 11:52 am

I am betting if the doctor didn't think it was serious enough to inform you immediately that it's a less aggressive, localized prostate cancer

I'm with Rice on this point of view...but still a 'cavalier' attitude for the medical profession to take!

My thoughts are with you both, but I'm sure he'll be fine... :)

Written By: ninny on 12/09/07 at 12:00 pm

My thoughts and Prayers go out to Carloshttp://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q108/marj69/HELLO%20KITTY/hellokittywalking.gif.http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h205/Sylviaann/2bighug.gif and you

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/09/07 at 12:16 pm

Thanks to all of you for the good wishes.  I will be seeing a couple of docs soon to discuss treatment options.  We will keep you all posted.  Again, thanks for the good wishes.

Written By: TigerMystic on 12/09/07 at 1:16 pm

Thanks to all of you for the good wishes.  I will be seeing a couple of docs soon to discuss treatment options.  We will keep you all posted.  Again, thanks for the good wishes.

You're welcome, Carlos.  :)  Good to hear from you.

All the best,

Cin  :)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/09/07 at 10:59 pm

You'd best be with us to see the next season, mi amigo.

Otherwise, I'll have to kick your coulo! ;)

Written By: Howard on 12/10/07 at 7:42 am

Glad you're feeling well.

Written By: Tia on 12/10/07 at 3:19 pm

Fuerza,compañeros.

sorry Chucky

qft

Written By: Dawg on 12/10/07 at 3:43 pm

Carlos & Cat-

I am so sorry to hear this news, I've even come out of lurk status just to tell you I'm thinking of you both and hoping for the best.

Love, The Dawg  :-*

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/10/07 at 3:55 pm

Carlos & Cat-

I am so sorry to hear this news, I've even come out of lurk status just to tell you I'm thinking of you both and hoping for the best.

Love, The Dawg  :-*

Man, it takes something like this to bring you out of lurk status. I guess it would be too much to ask to you stay out. Anyway, love ya, too.  :-* :-*

Cat

Written By: coqueta83 on 12/10/07 at 8:17 pm

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Carlos.  :\'( Please take care and I wish Carlos will have a complete recovery!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/11/07 at 4:21 pm

I FINALLY told my family. I called my mother but emailed everyone else. I will call my grandmother tomorrow.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 12/11/07 at 4:25 pm

I don't know how I missed this thread.  The only thing I can say is that I know a few people who have been through this and they are all fine now.  It is the scariest thing, and we can all give lots of advice, but I can't tell you what to do, or how to handle it.  Our thoughts are with you.  :\'(

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/12/07 at 1:31 am

I'm praying for you Carlos & Cat 

Written By: snozberries on 12/12/07 at 2:36 am

I heard that in some cases visualization works so I found this for you... this is how I picture Carlos' warrior....see he's kicking cancer's ass!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/redlion145/HolyWarrior.jpg

Peace, love & happiness!

Q

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/12/07 at 2:39 am

I heard that in some cases visualization works so I found this for you... this is how I picture Carlos' warrior....see he's kicking cancer's ass!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/redlion145/HolyWarrior.jpg

Peace, love & happiness!

Q
that's a very strong visual. I like it.

Written By: Gis on 12/12/07 at 2:54 am

I'm sorry to hear your news, fingers crossed all is well.

My Dad had a biopsy earlier this year and had precancerous cells, again the doctor had the same casual attitude as yours. He said a very high precentage of men have prostrate cancer for many years, never know and usually die of either old age or something completely unrelated! That did make my Dad feel a bit better, at the moment they are just testing him once a year. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/12/07 at 11:27 am

Thanks everyone.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/19/07 at 1:01 pm

An Up-Date

We had a conference with two docs yesterday about what the options are. They gave Carlos a book that has the all the latest info that was put out by the American Cancer Association (he started reading it today). They mentioned about 3 options and all them really suck: Surgery, internal radiation or external radiation. The book does mention a few other options that we will look into. So, at this point, it is basically educating ourselves and then making a decision.

The very strange thing was that one of the docs kept looking at me while explaining some of the procedures. I felt like saying to him, "Why tell ME? You need to be telling CARLOS!!"

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/19/07 at 1:23 pm

An Up-Date

We had a conference with two docs yesterday about what the options are. They gave Carlos a book that has the all the latest info that was put out by the American Cancer Association (he started reading it today). They mentioned about 3 options and all them really suck: Surgery, internal radiation or external radiation. The book does mention a few other options that we will look into. So, at this point, it is basically educating ourselves and then making a decision.

The very strange thing was that one of the docs kept looking at me while explaining some of the procedures. I felt like saying to him, "Why tell ME? You need to be telling CARLOS!!"

Cat
Please take the best possible time to chose which treatment is the best to choose.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/19/07 at 2:01 pm

Please take the best possible time to chose which treatment is the best to choose.

We will.  I know I shouldn't say "WE". It is his decision. And which ever way he decides, I'm there. Nothing will be done until after the holidays anyway-there still is plenty of time. It is not like this is fast growing. And in fact, one of the options is to wait and see-which we are thinking about. The big question is surgery now or surgery later? What are the benefits of doing it now or later? He wants to talk to his regular doc about all this.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/19/07 at 2:03 pm

We will.  I know I shouldn't say "WE". It is his decision. And which ever way he decides, I'm there. Nothing will be done until after the holidays anyway-there still is plenty of time. It is not like this is fast growing. And in fact, one of the options is to wait and see-which we are thinking about. The big question is surgery now or surgery later? What are the benefits of doing it now or later? He wants to talk to his regular doc about all this.

Cat
Promise me that will not go online seeking the answer, for any website may lead you up the wrong garden path.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/19/07 at 2:09 pm

Promise me that will not go online seeking the answer, for any website may lead you up the wrong garden path.

We are looking on-line for info-the book does recommend a couple of websites. But, it is for info only. We are not going to make any decision without talking to the doc first (and we now have 3 different docs to talk to-the GP, and the two we had a conference with yesterday).

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/19/07 at 2:12 pm

We are looking on-line for info-the book does recommend a couple of websites. But, it is for info only. We are not going to make any decision without talking to the doc first (and we now have 3 different docs to talk to-the GP, and the two we had a conference with yesterday).

Cat
It is the experts that know the best.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/19/07 at 2:34 pm

Look into area support groups.  They help

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/19/07 at 2:47 pm

An Up-Date

Cat

I think from what you have told me that the cancer has indeed been localized because they didn't suggest chemotherapy or targeted drug therapy.  I would suggest that you go with the surgery to remove the primary tumor and then go with the radiation therapy.  Radiation isn't as scary as chemo because they are able to focus the beams pretty well so that it only hits the affected area and nothing else.  Very rarely though, radiation may end up mutating some other cell and Carlos could suffer a relapse but I doubt it.

Good luck and keep thinking positive.

Written By: Howard on 12/19/07 at 2:47 pm

An Up-Date

Cat

So you could take either or?  ???

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/19/07 at 11:53 pm

my mom, aunt, and grandma all only had to have radiation...and it took care of all of the cancer. I will continue to keep you guys in my thoughts/prayers. :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/20/07 at 12:19 am

thanks for the updates and I will continue to keep Carlos in prayer. and you too Cat.

Written By: wildcard on 12/20/07 at 12:57 am

When I had my brain tumor it was surgically removed and I had radiation.  My dad was told at the time that even if my surgery was successful I'd die in two days.  I have found that nearly all of the doctors I can remember have given the worst case scenario and or the not so great view points.  I'll be thinking about you both.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/20/07 at 2:57 am

Having an uncle who is going through chemotherapy for 2 kinds of cancer, as well as having beaten the worst odds my case has given me for 7 yrs., I have to believe that Carlos will pull through this.

Besides, he has much to teach me....like how to speak better Spanish, and how to effectively pose for a coulo shot.  ;)

Prayers to the Leading Powers Of the Cosmos, Great Spirit, God & Goddess, Allah, Yhwh, and Nodens- the Outer God are all in for you two.

You two are in my heart, and should you find you need a sympathetic ear/shoulder/heart/brain/nerve, remember your friend in the backward town of Oroville.

God Bless.

Written By: Gis on 12/20/07 at 4:25 am

Thinking of you both.
Was there any method they thought would be the best?

Written By: thereshegoes on 12/20/07 at 6:38 am

An Up-Date

Cat

That's the toughest thing,having to decide... Every treatment has pros and cons,but i'm glad chemo wasn't suggested because it can mean it hasn't spread,like Rice said.

Oh and if you ever feel uneasy about your doctors or team of doctors,don't hesitate to look for another,this is sheeshty enough to go through without having to worry about if your doctor is the best for you or not.

I agree with that,it's good to be informed but most of the info you get online will make you doubt everything your doctors tell you. There are so many different approaches to this disease,in the end you have to trust your doctor or you'll go crazy.

Written By: Howard on 12/20/07 at 6:40 am

My condolences go out to you and Carlos. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/20/07 at 12:06 pm

Thanks everyone.

Having an uncle who is going through chemotherapy for 2 kinds of cancer, as well as having beaten the worst odds my case has given me for 7 yrs., I have to believe that Carlos will pull through this.

Besides, he has much to teach me....like how to speak better Spanish, and how to effectively pose for a coulo shot.  ;)

Prayers to the Leading Powers Of the Cosmos, Great Spirit, God & Goddess, Allah, Yhwh, and Nodens- the Outer God are all in for you two.

You two are in my heart, and should you find you need a sympathetic ear/shoulder/heart/brain/nerve, remember your friend in the backward town of Oroville.

God Bless.

If you want to speak better Spanish, Carlos isn't the person to go to.  ;D ;D ;D  He did not grow up speaking the language because his mother took someone's advice about not teaching her kids to speak it. His sister is fluent because she went to college in PR. Carlos can get by but I wouldn't say he is fluent.

Cat

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/25/07 at 12:28 am

I agree with that,it's good to be informed but most of the info you get online will make you doubt everything your doctors tell you.

I'll quibble with that -- a functional requirement for any human being attempting to retrieve medical inf-- no, anything from the Intarwebs is a working BS Detector.

My BS detector says that the scientific method works.  People who follow it get repeatable results.  People who don't get lucky -- but no luckier than can be expected from random chance.  The stuff I read on sites like WebMD is consistent with the sort of experiments performed by people who follow scientific method.  The stuff I read from random googling of medical terms is either consistent with the scientific method, or with pseudoscientific quackery.  For anything that walks, talks, and sounds like a duck, I usually go to QuackWatch to find the debunking.  Then I get sidetracked on either some weirdo quack cure and what kind of huckster thought it up, or on some new disease I've never heard of, because the human body's a fascinating machine, and even when it breaks down, we learn something about it through its failure mechanisms.

Funny quack story:  after a long-distance move, I had to find a new dentist.  As a prospective patient, I interviewed a couple of dentists, and I hinted at the "usual" quacky questions about TMJ, the toxicity of fluoride and mercury fillings.  Unlike the first guy (who said "Sure, we can fix that!  The ADA doesn't know everything, glad you've got an open mind, you're a smart cookie!"), the second guy was visibly confused as he struggled to find a polite way of telling me while there might be something to TMJ for some people (and not for others, and that he had no reliable way of telling a good candidate for work from a poor candidate), but that it was pretty darn conclusive that the fluoridation of drinking water had saved millions of teeth, and that mercury-amalgam fillings don't expose anyone to any more mercury than they'd get from eating fish more than once a month.  I grinned and said "Awesome!  You dig science as much as I do!  You're hired!"

10+ years later, the guy's never recommended anything more invasive than the regular 6-month cleaning.  As for me, no fillings, no pain, no gingivitis and no worries.  If I get a cavity, I'll gladly let him slap some mercury amalgam onto it -- and he'll gladly put it in because he knows he won't get sued 20 years down the road.

Obligatory motivational poster: (Picture of derivation of Maxwell's equations or the last few lines of Special Relativity) "Science: It works."

Back to the topic at hand, yeah, I've lost a couple of grandparents to cancer.  Yeah, that sucked, but it beats the hell out of losing grandparents to quackery and fraud.  They got good medical care.  Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you. 

Which is my long-winded way of saying -- good luck, and while you should always keep your BS detector handy and double-check everything, remember what others have said in this thread:  the odds are greatly in favor of you being able to trust your doctor over anything you read on the Intarweb. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/25/07 at 11:05 am

I'll quibble with that -- a functional requirement for any human being attempting to retrieve medical inf-- no, anything from the Intarwebs is a working BS Detector.

My BS detector says that the scientific method works.  People who follow it get repeatable results.  People who don't get lucky -- but no luckier than can be expected from random chance.  The stuff I read on sites like WebMD is consistent with the sort of experiments performed by people who follow scientific method.  The stuff I read from random googling of medical terms is either consistent with the scientific method, or with pseudoscientific quackery.  For anything that walks, talks, and sounds like a duck, I usually go to QuackWatch to find the debunking.  Then I get sidetracked on either some weirdo quack cure and what kind of huckster thought it up, or on some new disease I've never heard of, because the human body's a fascinating machine, and even when it breaks down, we learn something about it through its failure mechanisms.

Funny quack story:  after a long-distance move, I had to find a new dentist.  As a prospective patient, I interviewed a couple of dentists, and I hinted at the "usual" quacky questions about TMJ, the toxicity of fluoride and mercury fillings.  Unlike the first guy (who said "Sure, we can fix that!  The ADA doesn't know everything, glad you've got an open mind, you're a smart cookie!"), the second guy was visibly confused as he struggled to find a polite way of telling me while there might be something to TMJ for some people (and not for others, and that he had no reliable way of telling a good candidate for work from a poor candidate), but that it was pretty darn conclusive that the fluoridation of drinking water had saved millions of teeth, and that mercury-amalgam fillings don't expose anyone to any more mercury than they'd get from eating fish more than once a month.  I grinned and said "Awesome!  You dig science as much as I do!  You're hired!"

10+ years later, the guy's never recommended anything more invasive than the regular 6-month cleaning.  As for me, no fillings, no pain, no gingivitis and no worries.  If I get a cavity, I'll gladly let him slap some mercury amalgam onto it -- and he'll gladly put it in because he knows he won't get sued 20 years down the road.

Obligatory motivational poster: (Picture of derivation of Maxwell's equations or the last few lines of Special Relativity) "Science: It works."

Back to the topic at hand, yeah, I've lost a couple of grandparents to cancer.  Yeah, that sucked, but it beats the hell out of losing grandparents to quackery and fraud.  They got good medical care.  Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you. 

Which is my long-winded way of saying -- good luck, and while you should always keep your BS detector handy and double-check everything, remember what others have said in this thread:  the odds are greatly in favor of you being able to trust your doctor over anything you read on the Intarweb. 

We have talked to a few people who said they knew people who went through it (we will be talking directly to those people after the holidays) and were told they went to Dartmouth as opposed to Rutland Hospital for treatment and was please with the results. So, that tells us that Rutland isn't the only game in town. So, we are going to see what Dartmouth has to offer as well as a few other places. But, all of this will happen AFTER the holidays. In other words, second-even third opinion.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...