inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Share you stupid injury stories

Written By: wsmith4 on 12/13/07 at 7:27 am

When I was about 15, I pulled a few muscles in my neck and had to wear a neck brace for several days because I was flailing my head around, dancing like Madonna does in front of the choir in her "Like a Prayer" video. 

STUPIDEST INJURY EVER.

Subject: Re: Share you stupid injury stories

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/13/07 at 7:52 am

When I was around 15 years old (haha..it must be the age, I think)...I was hurrying to open the door of our clubhouse, that I didn't notice that my right hand was placed on the window..and just as I was about to pull the door open....someone from the inside pushed the door..and my hand/arm went right through the glass...OUCH! Needless to say, I needed a bunch of stitches.

Written By: statsqueen on 12/13/07 at 8:02 am

A pick up truck with a bunch of JV football players in the bed of the truck stopped on top of my foot during a parade--all so I could get some tootsie rolls Micah had saved for me.  No broken bones, but it took 6 weeks for the swelling to go down so that I could wear shoes.

Written By: Gis on 12/13/07 at 9:03 am

Dear god how long have you got? I guess the most memorable one was falling down a manhole.............

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/13/07 at 11:47 am

Let's see...where do I begin?

Last year I walked around the corner in my apartment into this room, my arm swung around and hit the corner and ripped my fingernail off.  It hurt like the dickens for awhile, but was fascinating to watch grow back.

A little wooden box fell off the top of one of my bookcases, hit me in the head and gave me a bump.  Yeah that bookshelf was cleared of all stuff from the top of it soon after.  lol

Burned my hand on the oven door a couple times.

When I was a child, we were playing hide and seek, I was a dummy and hid behind the clothes dryer, and I accidently bumped up against the dryer from behind and got a big shock! 

Written By: wsmith4 on 12/13/07 at 12:15 pm

Dear god how long have you got? I guess the most memorable one was falling down a manhole.............

I laughed out loud when I read this.... my god, how...what...where....?? ?? ?? you poor thing! how terrifying that must have been!   ;D  ;D  :D  :D

Written By: ninny on 12/13/07 at 1:27 pm

I was 14 and insisted my mom buy me bell bottoms,she did not want to but I begged and plead so she finally gave in, that very night I was going to my friends house, when her mom came I ran down the front steps, stepped on my bell bottoms,and landed face first on the front step,luckily I did not need stitches,but I had to listen to a lecture from my mom about safety, plus she was mad because the jeans ripped.
Then there was the famous "look mom no hands" incident when I ran my bike into a tree.

Written By: snozberries on 12/13/07 at 8:10 pm

When I was about 5 I ran to open the front door I was wearing sandals and slide across the carpet into my father's box speaker... it required several stiches and I still have a scar in my left eyebrow.

In 1st or 2nd grade I was wearing overall/pants suit...it was the 70s... and somehow the zipper caught on my stomach and zipped with my skin all the way up (think There's Something About Mary without the franks & beans  ;D )

When I worked at Toys R Us I had a box of skates fall on my head. 

I threw my back out putting on sweats... don't ask me how cuz I don't know.

Written By: Howard on 12/14/07 at 7:13 am

During work at Pathmark,I banged my foot about 2 times,banged my head 1 time and banged my knee into a cart 1 time. ;D

Written By: ADH13 on 12/14/07 at 10:06 pm

Actually just the other day the shower head slipped out of my soapy hands and landed right on my big toe... it hurt like hell...

Written By: ladyhawk on 12/14/07 at 10:13 pm

Wow here is a catergory for you! I have the worst ones I think. I have lots and lots of stupid injury stories.
Here is one example:

The tetherball had broken it's rope and I was putting a new one on it. The end of the rope was slightly frayed so I took my lighter and decided to melt it so it would fit better. I was wearing sandals and my foot was right under the part I was burning. It dripped and landed on the knuckle of my big toe, I looked down at what I had just done. Melting plastic on the knuckle of my big toe and said "ah sh*t, I can't believe I just did that." It left a perfectly circular scar.

I do have a much worse one that I will tell about later. It is the one that Hawk cracks up about to this day.

Written By: ADH13 on 12/14/07 at 10:30 pm

Pain is when your insensitive husband drives over a speed bump really fast and you're not wearing a bra. :P

Written By: ladyhawk on 12/14/07 at 10:35 pm

I have a huge tolerance to pain. I watched the melted piece land on my foot, I never felt it. I just couldn't believe I had let myself get 1 more scar. I have plenty of them. Too many if you ask me. I have put my poor body through so much I don't even really know when I am hurt anymore, I just don't feel it.

Written By: Gis on 12/15/07 at 4:08 am

I laughed out loud when I read this.... my god, how...what...where....?? ?? ?? you poor thing! how terrifying that must have been!  ;D  ;D  :D  :D
It was christmas eve and I was out in London. We were walking through Picadilly Circus and some joker had thought it would be fun to take all the manhole covers off the drains. I was lucky because it was very icy that night so when one leg went down the manhole the other slid forward on the ice otherwise I would have spent christmas in hospital with broken bones. Of course all my friends were laughing so much they couldn't help me up. The bruises were spectacular and I did have to go and see the doctor about my leg.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 12/15/07 at 7:07 am

Pain is when your insensitive husband drives over a speed bump really fast and you're not wearing a bra. :P

How fast was he driving?

Written By: coqueta83 on 12/15/07 at 8:07 pm

When I was 8 I fell off my bicycle and skinned my elbow and knee because I got distracted by my neighbor's Yorkie yipping and yapping at me.  :-[

Written By: ADH13 on 12/15/07 at 8:24 pm

Not an injury, but today I was coming into a room juggling several shopping bags and a roll of wrapping paper, and I didn't realize I was holding the wrapping paper horizontally, so when I tried to go through the doorway, the wrapping paper couldn't get through the doorframe and I slammed right into it... :-[

Written By: snozberries on 06/30/09 at 6:44 am

*bump*

Written By: Howard on 06/30/09 at 6:46 am

I bumped my leg on a cart while I was pushing them,wound up with a black/blue mark.

Written By: wsmith4 on 06/30/09 at 8:14 am

I bumped my leg on a cart while I was pushing them,wound up with a black/blue mark.

Howard, do you have a nice butt?

Written By: danootaandme on 06/30/09 at 8:24 am

I went flying over the handle bars of my motorcycle and have the scar across my lip to prove it.  The surgeon who sewed me up was good, though, and most people don't notice it.

Written By: Bobo on 06/30/09 at 8:34 am

There was the time when I fell frontways off my bicycle, only to go back onto my bicycle ten minutes later and do exactly the same thing. My elbow got beat up pretty bad from it, but I didn't feel anything until about five minutes afterwards. That's the most painful time.

Several sports–related injuries, but you could say I brought those upon myself. Playing soccer, I've injured my limbs several times, including, somewhat inexplicably, both my arms. "It's soccer, for heaven's sake, what were you doing using your arms?" You may well ask. Yes, quite.

I'm sure others will come to me.

Written By: Bobo on 06/30/09 at 8:35 am

Oh. I remember in my family's foolishness, we went to climb up some hill. During the snowiest season we've had for three years. Needless to say, I took two hours climbing up, and 90 seconds sliding down.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/30/09 at 9:43 am

When I was three I fell of a rocking horse and split my lip.

I put my hand on an electric fence just to see what would happen.  Yep, they do carry voltage. :(

Written By: Ashkicksass on 06/30/09 at 1:25 pm

I went flying over the handle bars of my motorcycle and have the scar across my lip to prove it.  The surgeon who sewed me up was good, though, and most people don't notice it.

You have a motorcycle?  That's rad.  8)

Written By: Frank on 06/30/09 at 3:14 pm

When I was young and stupid, my friends and I used to play tackle football in the winter, on ice ( in Montreal).
Some of us got bruised legs, separated shoulders. I only had a bruised shoulder. We did this every year until we turned 14 or so, then we became mature enough to realize that smashing our body parts on the ice had a negative side.  :o

Written By: Howard on 06/30/09 at 7:00 pm

why should I tell you?

Written By: La Roche on 06/30/09 at 7:22 pm

My current injury is my knee.

It got trapped between a truck and a dock plate.

I tore the medial meniscus and did some other damage.

Before that I was pissy drunk and fell down a flight of stairs, breaking my foot in the process.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/30/09 at 7:25 pm

When I was a child, a friend and I were dancing on the last day of school (I had brought my new album, Queen - the Game, to school with me that day).  She wanted to swing around, so she grabbed my hands and we started twirling around and around (in the classroom), well she let go and I slammed head-first into a row of desks.  lol  Bit through my bottom lip (so now all the scar tissue inside makes my lips fulls - who needs collagen?) and I broke my two front teeth. 

Written By: Howard on 06/30/09 at 7:30 pm

When I was a child, a friend and I were dancing on the last day of school (I had brought my new album, Queen - the Game, to school with me that day).  She wanted to swing around, so she grabbed my hands and we started twirling around and around (in the classroom), well she let go and I slammed head-first into a row of desks.  lol   Bit through my bottom lip (so now all the scar tissue inside makes my lips fulls - who needs collagen?) and I broke my two front teeth. 

Wow,that must've hurt.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/30/09 at 7:43 pm

Wow,that must've hurt.

I don't exactly remember since it was 26 years ago.

I'm sure it didn't hurt nearly as much as Davey's injuries, everytime he posts about one of his injuries, I wince in sympathetic pain.  I'm such a girl!

Written By: La Roche on 06/30/09 at 9:40 pm

I don't exactly remember since it was 26 years ago.

I'm sure it didn't hurt nearly as much as Davey's injuries, everytime he posts about one of his injuries, I wince in sympathetic pain.  I'm such a girl!

I only do it for the attention... and the oxycodone.

Written By: Frank on 07/01/09 at 12:12 am

Is that why there was a movie titled "Howard's end"?

Written By: snozberries on 07/01/09 at 12:43 am

;D  good one!!!!

Written By: Howard on 07/01/09 at 7:01 am

and I'm glad I never watched it.

Written By: snozberries on 07/01/09 at 8:04 am

and I'm glad I never watched it.

I guess from where you're sitting it'd be pretty hard to see  ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/01/09 at 4:02 pm

I guess from where you're sitting it'd be pretty hard to see  ;D

::) Not if my butt was in the way.

Written By: Henk on 07/01/09 at 4:28 pm

::) Not if my butt was in the way.

Wouldn't that be an awkward position to sit in? :-\\

Written By: Howard on 07/01/09 at 4:35 pm

Wouldn't that be an awkward position to sit in? :-\\

Yes it would if my face was there. ;D

Written By: Henk on 07/01/09 at 4:36 pm

Anyway...

Not sure if any of you are familiar with cheese slicers. In the past, I've used them to remove the rind of the cheese. Not a smart idea, because it slipped and sliced right through the top of the thumb on my left hand. That hurt and bled like hell.
A couple of weeks later the wound had healed. And lo and behold... I made the same mistake again. Another slice of thumb in almost exactly the same spot. I finally learned my lesson after that.

You can still tell, though it's not as prominent as it used to be.

Written By: Howard on 07/01/09 at 4:38 pm

Anyway...

Not sure if any of you are familiar with cheese slicers. In the past, I've used them to remove the rind of the cheese. Not a smart idea, because it slipped and sliced right through the top of the thumb on my left hand. That hurt and bled like hell.
A couple of weeks later the wound had healed. And lo and behold... I made the same mistake again. Another slice of thumb in almost exactly the same spot. I finally learned my lesson after that.

Wow you must've bled profusely?  :o

Written By: Henk on 07/01/09 at 4:39 pm

Wow you must've bled profusely?  :o

Indeed it did, but I've survived. :)

Written By: Michael C. on 07/01/09 at 4:40 pm

Let's see....
There's the time My Friend {who's taken Martial Arts classes for 26 yrs.}showed Me how He can stop short of hitting a person...Just before He hit Me in the head.......................I had a headache for 3 days !!!!!
Or...the time My Friend {who's taken Martial Arts classes for 26 yrs.} had Me hold a sparring mitt,for Him to hit........Just before He broke My finger...........................
Or...the time My Friend {who's taken Martial Arts classics for 26 yrs.}...........

Written By: Howard on 07/01/09 at 4:40 pm

Indeed it did, but I've survived. :)

That's wonderful,you could've lost a finger.  :o

Written By: Henk on 07/01/09 at 4:52 pm

That's wonderful,you could've lost a finger.  :o

Not a finger, surely. Maybe just the tip of my thumb.

Written By: Michael C. on 07/01/09 at 4:57 pm

Ouch !!........... :o :o :o :o
Anyway...

Written By: danootaandme on 07/01/09 at 7:09 pm

You have a motorcycle?  That's rad.   8)

Used to, well I still have it but haven't ridden in about 15 years. 

Written By: statsqueen on 07/01/09 at 8:22 pm

When Micah was a sophomore in high school, she was on the boys' JV football team.  They were in the homecoming parade riding in the back of a pick up truck.  Our apt is pretty much on the parade route, I just have to walk to the end of the block.  She called me over to the truck because she had snagged some tootsie roll midgets for me.  I wasn't paying attention to anything but talking to her, so it wasn't until the truck rolled forward and stopped that I realized my foot was in the wrong place.  The pickup literally stopped for about a minute right on top of my right foot.  I limped back (of course there had to be witnesses) to the corner and when I got to my apt and it felt like my shoe was too tight I decided to go to the ER.  Obviously Micah was worried, but not til I didn't show up at the game (I never missed her games) as she only saw me limp, she didn't know exactly what had happened.  I drove myself to ER (THAT was interesting).  The xray showed no broken bones.  No, I don't know how since it was actually parked on my foot, but I was grateful.  They had to call the police, but I made him promise not to go after the driver as he probably had no idea and it was totally my fault.  Not only that, but even though I was right there, I couldn't tell him who the driver was or even what color the truck was!!!  I was on crutches for a week, but it took over a month for the swelling to go down enough to wear regular shoes again.

The most recent one was when I hyper extended my right foot (see a pattern here?) when I stretched out to run at the gym.  Crutches for 2 weeks, off the track for 2 months.  It still hurts from time to time.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/01/09 at 8:37 pm

Let's see....
There's the time My Friend {who's taken Martial Arts classes for 26 yrs.}showed Me how He can stop short of hitting a person...Just before He hit Me in the head.......................I had a headache for 3 days !!!!!
Or...the time My Friend {who's taken Martial Arts classes for 26 yrs.} had Me hold a sparring mitt,for Him to hit........Just before He broke My finger...........................
Or...the time My Friend {who's taken Martial Arts classics for 26 yrs.}...........

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  I'm sorry for laughing.. but  ;D ;D ;D

Is he still your friend?

Written By: Michael C. on 07/01/09 at 8:56 pm

Absolutely.....!!!!
Friends like that don't come along every day !!!!
;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  I'm sorry for laughing.. but  ;D ;D ;D

Is he still your friend?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/02/09 at 3:32 am

Absolutely.....!!!!
Friends like that don't come along every day !!!!
;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Thank goodness!  It could be rather injurious if they did!  Can't say that I've ever been roundhouse kicked by a friend.

Check for new replies or respond here...