inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: English is weird...

Written By: wsmith4 on 12/14/07 at 12:42 pm

Why is the word through pronounced throooo but the word rough is pronounced ruff?  The only difference is the T and the H and they're not next to the letters that have the pronunciation change so they shouldn't be affecting the way that part of the word is pronounced!  What a difficult language this must be learn.

Subject: Re: English is weird...

Written By: wsmith4 on 12/14/07 at 12:46 pm

and for that matter, why do f, ph, and gh all create the same sound??  I know that gh isn't always pronounced that way, but it is in the word "enough".  why wouldn't that be spelled "enuff" or if they wanted to be fancy, "enouph".  Well.....why??  For the love of God, WHY?

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/14/07 at 1:41 pm

Methinks it's just to drive you batty!  :D ;) :)

Written By: karen on 12/14/07 at 2:43 pm

Perhaps Bill had better not read this page.  I love the first poem, learnt most of it at school

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 12/14/07 at 3:18 pm

XD I never really thought about it. This thread leads me to imagine you in the corner of an empty grey room, sitting in a fetal position, with your hair tossled, same clothes that have been on you for months, no socks, cracker crumbs all around you, counting with your fingers, for some reason.

You're funny.

Written By: Tia on 12/14/07 at 3:26 pm

XD I never really thought about it. This thread leads me to imagine you in the corner of an empty grey room, sitting in a fetal position, with your hair tossled, same clothes that have been on you for months, no socks, cracker crumbs all around you, counting with your fingers, for some reason.

You're funny.
wow, that's quite an image.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/14/07 at 11:43 pm

This thread makes me realize just how much I love Bill. ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/14/07 at 11:59 pm

AHHH! =D I was just thinking about this today.

... And yesterday, and pretty much every day before that.

I love English. It's one of the few things I almost have mastered; and being as difficult as it is, I feel like I've accomplished something very big. You should, too!

Written By: Howard on 12/15/07 at 7:09 am

http://www.engrish.com/

;D

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/16/07 at 12:28 am

Also, what's up with the pronunciation of Kansas and Arkansas?

Written By: karen on 12/16/07 at 1:50 pm

Also, what's up with the pronunciation of Kansas and Arkansas?

Is the river pronounced how you would expect and the state pronounced weirdly?  Or did I dream that?

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/16/07 at 2:05 pm

Is the river pronounced how you would expect and the state pronounced weirdly?  Or did I dream that?
They are pronounced Kansas and Arkansaw

Written By: karen on 12/16/07 at 2:11 pm

They are pronounced Kansas and Arkansaw

I know.  But I thought there was also a river Arkansas that was pronounced like Kansas?

Written By: thereshegoes on 12/16/07 at 2:25 pm

"English: a language that lurks in dark alleys,beats up other languages and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary"

I've read that once on a forum board,it was someone's sig line :P

Written By: TigerMystic on 12/16/07 at 2:32 pm

If the plural of tooth is teeth, then shouldn't the plural of booth be beeth?

And if many a mouse is mice, shouldn't many a house be hice?

If  laughter is pronounced like lafter, then shouldn't daughter sound like dafter ?

???   :D   ???   :D

Written By: TigerMystic on 12/16/07 at 2:56 pm

"English: a language that lurks in dark alleys,beats up other languages and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary"

I've read that once on a forum board,it was someone's sig line :P

Good one!  I'm always looking for clever email sigs, and that definitely fits the bill.  :)

Written By: Bobo on 12/16/07 at 3:01 pm

It may just be me, but although f and ph produce quite a similar sound, the location in my mouth at which I pronounce, for the sake of argument, the /f/ sound in "fun" (blowing air out of the side of my mouth, for want of a better way of describing it), is a different location to where I pronoucne the /f/ sound in "phonetic" (blowing air through my two front teeth).

and for that matter, why do f, ph, and gh all create the same sound??

Written By: karen on 12/16/07 at 8:04 pm

It may just be me, but although f and ph produce quite a similar sound, the location in my mouth at which I pronounce, for the sake of argument, the /f/ sound in "fun" (blowing air out of the side of my mouth, for want of a better way of describing it), is a different location to where I pronoucne the /f/ sound in "phonetic" (blowing air through my two front teeth).

But is that just because the second letter is different?

How about foam and phonetic?

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/16/07 at 10:09 pm

Well, you are from the UK.

I pronounce both exactly the same way, with the same technique.

Written By: Red Ant on 12/16/07 at 10:26 pm

I think I get at what you are saying. Fun is a short "f" sound, and I don't close up my mouth much to pronounce "fun". With "phonetic", I do push the air more, creating a longer "f" sound, like "fff-netic".

English is weird. How come "phonetic" isn't spelt phonetically? (I know it has to do with the origin of the word, but it's still pretty goofy).

Ant

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/17/07 at 11:30 am

I know.  But I thought there was also a river Arkansas that was pronounced like Kansas?
Sorry for the confusion.  I don't know how they pronounce the name of that river.

Written By: DoRitos on 12/24/07 at 11:16 pm

and for that matter, why do f, ph, and gh all create the same sound??  I know that gh isn't always pronounced that way, but it is in the word "enough".  why wouldn't that be spelled "enuff" or if they wanted to be fancy, "enouph".  Well.....why??  For the love of God, WHY?

One would appear to be a 'tard if they spelled enough like enuff which I think is quite enough.

Check for new replies or respond here...