inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 'Oldest human being' dies at 116

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/16/07 at 4:56 pm

From BBC News Online

Hryhoriy Nestor, a bachelor who was thought in his lifetime to be the oldest person in the world, has died at the age of 116 in Ukraine.

Mr Nestor died in his sleep on Friday night in the village of Stary Yarychev, in the eastern region of Lviv, the Kiev newspaper Segodnya reports.

He died before proof of his age was submitted to Guinness World Records.

The world's recognised oldest living person is currently Edna Parker of the United States, who turned 114 in April.

Just a few close relatives and neighbours gathered for Mr Nestor's funeral, Segodnya writes.

In accordance with his wish that there should be no crying, a hearty meal was served of his favourite dishes: warm potato and herring, and cabbage with home-made sausage.

Subject: Re: 'Oldest human being' dies at 116

Written By: ninny on 12/16/07 at 5:12 pm

Wow 116 that's a long life,both my grandma & greatgrandfather lived till 101 and the only reson he died was he fell asleep smoking a cigar and the chair caught afire along with himself.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/17/07 at 2:41 am

Wow 116 that's a long life,both my grandma & greatgrandfather lived till 101 and the only reson he died was he fell asleep smoking a cigar and the chair caught afire along with himself.
Sorry to here that, he must had years in him yet.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/17/07 at 3:30 am

Wow.

That is a great idea (about having the dinner with their favorite foods). 

I don't know that I'd actually want to live to that age (or longer), I mean, everybody that you were really close to probably would have already passed, you probably wouldn't be able to get around the way you used to, pop culture certainally would have changed several times during your lifetime.  Alot of times, younger people aren't so patient with the older folk when they want to share their stories with people.  I mean it's cool that you get recognized as being the oldest, and perhaps that may be your one claim to fame, but I think I'd just as soon pass quietly earlier and not be a burden to anyone (especially since I won't be having any children to take care of me in my old age.)

Check for new replies or respond here...