inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Physical punishment in public places

Written By: Stompgal on 12/18/07 at 10:55 am

In my opinion, it should be banned because i find it distressing towards young children. As an NSPCC supporter, I am against this kind of punishment.

Subject: Re: Physical punishment in public places

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/20/07 at 2:08 am

What we got here is... failure to communicate. Some kids you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you. 

but seriously, i don't like the idea of physical punishment in public places, but in your own home, with restraint, I feel it's useful for behavior modification. some kids need an attention getter and it doesn't take much, and then you can communicate more easily after. I do not want to witness it in public and feel if a parent finds it necessary to punish in this manner, that they need to be patient, and not angry, and to wait until they are home. But my kid almost never needed physical punishment and was very well behaved. I think I gave her 2 swats in her young life with a ruler. I swat per incident and hardly made any contact, and then after that it was no longer needed. there are some kids that, no matter how much a parent tries to communicate to them, they do not get through, or are simply ignored with no respect or honor to the parent as an authority. Raise your kids well in your home and they will behave wonderfully in public.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/20/07 at 5:41 am

Depends on who is getting punished. I think parents should be first in line.  Usually if a child is out of control in a public setting it is because the parent has failed in the home.  I don't know how many times I have seen young children who are so obviously completely tired out being dragged around shopping for inconsequentials. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/20/07 at 5:52 am

No it should not be banned.  Unless we're planning to ban corporal punishment altogether.

That said I would never give my kids a spanking in public.  The public need not view "family business".

Written By: Howard on 12/20/07 at 6:51 am

I don't think the public needs to see a Mother or Father punish their son or daughter.

Written By: Jessica on 12/20/07 at 9:35 am

No it should not be banned.  Unless we're planning to ban corporal punishment altogether.

That said I would never give my kids a spanking in public.  The public need not view "family business".

This is where the discreet pinch comes in handy. I don't have to use it much because I have "THE LOOK", but yesterday the boy was being a pill in the grocery store, so I pinched his hand. He knew what was up and promptly knocked the crap off.

But yeah, I'm not gonna go balls out and full on spank him in public. Shoot, I've cut down on spanking anyways with the implementation of "THE CORNER". The only time I'll swat him is if he's deciding climbing on his dresser is a good idea. That is serious and dangerous. Other than that, the corner wall and a talking to does nicely.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/21/07 at 1:04 am

One thing I'll add that I think is important when talking to your child is eye contact. Let's you know they are listening and paying attention to what the parent is saying. I saw this mom in the post office trying to get her 2 boys to stop running. several idle threats were made and not once did the boys even look at her.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/21/07 at 10:03 pm

you parents with bad kids need to bust that ass  ;D

Written By: ninny on 12/21/07 at 10:46 pm

My husband & I have never physically punished are kids in public, on the rare occasions where they misbehaved,they either got the evil eye,or were told they will be dealt with at home. There was one occasion when my daughter was 13 she was mad because she was not ready to leave the store and she started to cuss,so I decided to give her hair a little tug..bad mistake she yells right out loud " quit pulling my hair"of course I was so embarrassed, my husband got angry,grabbed her arm and lead her out of the store.

Written By: Red Ant on 12/22/07 at 12:30 am

because I have "THE LOOK"

*cue music*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tRWNjI8xLc

;D

Depends on who is getting punished. I think parents should be first in line.  Usually if a child is out of control in a public setting it is because the parent has failed in the home.  I don't know how many times I have seen young children who are so obviously completely tired out being dragged around shopping for inconsequentials. 

QFT

Ant

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/22/07 at 11:53 pm

I don't see what difference whether or not you're in public makes.

Check for new replies or respond here...