inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite Seasonal Stories

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/20/07 at 3:18 am

This probably belongs in a different board, but I feel the need to ask:

Growing up, or perhaps in your own family today, were there any special stories or poems you read during the Holidays? Were they tradition, or simply something to do?

I remember growing up, we would have a contest each Christmas as to who could remember the most verses from "A Visit From Saint Nicholas", or as some know it, "T'was the Night Before Christmas".

Later on, I came across a story that I now read each Christmas to my own family, called "The Golden Cobwebs".
It's a very touching story, and one that has spiders in it, that isn't scary for small children.

Does anyone have a similar tradition or memory?
What holiday was it for?

Subject: Re: Favorite Seasonal Stories

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/20/07 at 12:16 pm

We didn't have the tradition of reading stories but there were some stories/books that were part of our decorations. My step-father was giving back in the 60s (?) (can't remember by whom) an abridge version of A Christmas Carol that sort of looked like a Christmas card that was put out every year. When I was about 9 or 10, my mother gave me a Hallmark book called "The Spirit of Christmas" that I keep with my Christmas decorations. the book is sort of falling apart now but it is very sentimental to me.

Some other favorite season stories:

A Christmas Carol-Charles Dickens
The Gift of the Magi-O Henry

I'm sure I will think of more later.

Cat

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/20/07 at 12:27 pm

My Mom would read The Greatest Christmas Pageant Ever to me before Christmas.  Two chapters a night before going to bed. :)

Written By: danootaandme on 12/20/07 at 4:13 pm

A Christmas Carol.  I have to have it every Christmas, or it isn't Christmas at all.  :)

Written By: loki 13 on 12/20/07 at 4:41 pm

I don't know if I would call it a tradition but every Christmas Eve my children and I watch
How The Grinch Stole Christmas. It started with just me reciting the dialog along with the
show but now that my kids have kids, they recite it with me to their children.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/22/07 at 3:28 pm

I don't know if I would call it a tradition but every Christmas Eve my children and I watch
How The Grinch Stole Christmas. It started with just me reciting the dialog along with the
show but now that my kids have kids, they recite it with me to their children.

Sounds like a bonafide Christmas Tradition to me!

Written By: Dagwood on 12/22/07 at 3:43 pm

A Christmas Carol.  I have to have it every Christmas, or it isn't Christmas at all.  :)

Same here.  It just doesn't seem like Christmas without A Christmas Carol.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/23/07 at 12:49 am

My Mom would read The Greatest Christmas Pageant Ever to me before Christmas.  Two chapters a night before going to bed. :)

Oh ya...that one was big in our house too! :)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/25/07 at 3:56 am

Same here.  It just doesn't seem like Christmas without A Christmas Carol.

I'm debating as to whether to watch "Scrooge" or not.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/25/07 at 8:41 am

Oh ya...that one was big in our house too! :)

Yeah, Imogene Herman was my kind of kid. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...