inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite Vintage Pyrex pattern?

Written By: wsmith4 on 12/21/07 at 8:18 am

My pick: Spring Blossom, followed closely by Horizon Blue

But there are many promotional pieces that have patterns that I like even more than these.

Any others here inflicted with Pyrexia?

Subject: Re: Favorite Vintage Pyrex pattern?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/21/07 at 8:26 am

OMG....there are just so many different patterns..I cannot decide which one I love the best!!!  I just cannot get enough of these awesome vintage/retro designs!! LOVE THEM!

http://www.pyrexlove.com/vintage-pyrex-pattern-guide/

Written By: wsmith4 on 12/21/07 at 8:30 am

OMG....there are just so many different patterns..I cannot decide which one I love the best!!!  I just cannot get enough of these awesome vintage/retro designs!! LOVE THEM!

You go to Pyrexlove too?!?!!? Do you ever put pictures up on the Pyrex Flickr Group?  Do you have a favorite? Do you collect it? Were we separated at birth?  ;D

Written By: thereshegoes on 12/21/07 at 8:38 am

Bill,you've been giving us pyrexia everyday. Karma to you cause you're a riot ;D

Written By: wsmith4 on 12/21/07 at 8:40 am

Bill,you've been giving us pyrexia everyday. Karma to you cause you're a riot ;D

;D and karma to you for making me smile

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/21/07 at 8:42 am

You go to Pyrexlove too?!?!!? Do you ever put pictures up on the Pyrex Flickr Group?  Do you have a favorite? Do you collect it? Were we separated at birth?  ;D

no, I haven't posted any pictures on there. Gosh...there are so many cool ones..but I tend to like the ones with retro starburts and stuff..I have a thing for that.  No, I don't have a collection of Pyrex...would love to start though. I have so many collections..I need a bigger house!! LOL! And oh....maybe we were seperated at birth....it would be cool to be your twin!! ;) ;D

Written By: wsmith4 on 12/21/07 at 8:56 am

no, I haven't posted any pictures on there. Gosh...there are so many cool ones..but I tend to like the ones with retro starburts and stuff..I have a thing for that.  No, I don't have a collection of Pyrex...would love to start though. I have so many collections..I need a bigger house!! LOL! And oh....maybe we were seperated at birth....it would be cool to be your twin!! ;) ;D

Yeah that's my problem too, too many collections.  But my Pyrex collection has gotten out of control.  I don't know what I'm going to do with all of it.  I started collecting it after I moved back home with my parents and I've been putting it all in storage.  Now I'm moving into a house in January and I think I'm going to be in for a HUGE shock when I start unpacking and realize how much I've actually accumulated over the last year.  It's kinda scary  :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/21/07 at 8:59 am

Yeah that's my problem too, too many collections.  But my Pyrex collection has gotten out of control.  I don't know what I'm going to do with all of it.  I started collecting it after I moved back home with my parents and I've been putting it all in storage.  Now I'm moving into a house in January and I think I'm going to be in for a HUGE shock when I start unpacking and realize how much I've actually accumulated over the last year.  It's kinda scary  :D

hahah..that's how I am too! I have like no room for all of my collections...most of them are sadly packed away in the attic.  So, where do you normally obtain your vintage Pyrex from? Ebay? Antique shops?  What is the average price that you pay for a vintage piece?

Written By: wsmith4 on 12/21/07 at 9:03 am

hahah..that's how I am too! I have like no room for all of my collections...most of them are sadly packed away in the attic.  So, where do you normally obtain your vintage Pyrex from? Ebay? Antique shops?  What is the average price that you pay for a vintage piece?

I try not to buy too many on Ebay because of shipping prices.  And antique shops are waaaay overpriced, but I will occassionally find something I can't resist.  Most of what I've found is from yard sales, flea markets, and Goodwill.  You can pay anywhere from $.25 to $100, which is how much I paid for a set of Pink bowls for my boyfriend for Christmas.  I got him into Pyrex too and he loves the pink bowls, which just happen to be the most sought-after color and hardest to find in good condition.  Figures  :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/21/07 at 9:12 am

I try not to buy too many on Ebay because of shipping prices.  And antique shops are waaaay overpriced, but I will occassionally find something I can't resist.  Most of what I've found is from yard sales, flea markets, and Goodwill.  You can pay anywhere from $.25 to $100, which is how much I paid for a set of Pink bowls for my boyfriend for Christmas.  I got him into Pyrex too and he loves the pink bowls, which just happen to be the most sought-after color and hardest to find in good condition.  Figures  :D

OMG..I would LOVE the pink ones! I LOVE thrift shopping too! I will have to start looking for them..on my adventures to Goodwill and such.  Do you have like a piece of furniture or something that you can/will display your collection on? It would be cool to have one of those retro/antique baker's racks to display them on.

Written By: wsmith4 on 12/21/07 at 9:16 am

OMG..I would LOVE the pink ones! I LOVE thrift shopping too! I will have to start looking for them..on my adventures to Goodwill and such.  Do you have like a piece of furniture or something that you can/will display your collection on? It would be cool to have one of those retro/antique baker's racks to display them on.

I'm on a desperate search now for something to display them on!  And I've been thinking the same thing... I think they're called hoosier cabinets, made back in the 40's.  That would be AWESOME, but my collection is far too enormous for that.  Maybe if I bought about 50 of them and just set them up everywhere around the house  :D

But I love thrifting so much.  I usually go every Sunday to these 3 Goodwill stores that are within just a couple minutes of each other.  I'm trying to create a vintage 60's/70's kitchen and I've actually found some things that my mom used to have and I cannot wait to display/use them.  She is the one who inspired me to collect Pyrex because I grew up with the Early American bowls, which is also one of my favorite patterns.  But I can't believe some of the things I find at Goodwill... it's great!

Written By: laffytaffy on 12/21/07 at 10:42 am

Didn't even know Pyrex came in "designs" other than the white with the blue designs

I like retro, because I loved the 60's, so:
Spirograph
Green-Dot design

Had a Plymouth Sprint in acid green once, they just don't make 'em like that
anymore!  :D

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/21/07 at 2:38 pm

Wow, it is hard to choose!  I went with the new dots though, because I LOVE polka dots and orange is one of my favorite colors.  The moon deco comes in a veryclose second.

Written By: gemini on 12/21/07 at 5:26 pm

Holy crap! I didn't know there were so many. I love the starburst and any that have the 50s mid century modern geometric designs. Wonder if they had a boomerang style. Those would be my fave for sure if they did. Something new for me to look for when I go antiquing.  :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/21/07 at 5:55 pm

I'm on a desperate search now for something to display them on!  And I've been thinking the same thing... I think they're called hoosier cabinets, made back in the 40's.  That would be AWESOME, but my collection is far too enormous for that.  Maybe if I bought about 50 of them and just set them up everywhere around the house  :D

But I love thrifting so much.  I usually go every Sunday to these 3 Goodwill stores that are within just a couple minutes of each other.  I'm trying to create a vintage 60's/70's kitchen and I've actually found some things that my mom used to have and I cannot wait to display/use them.  She is the one who inspired me to collect Pyrex because I grew up with the Early American bowls, which is also one of my favorite patterns.  But I can't believe some of the things I find at Goodwill... it's great!

OMG...I wish we lived closer, Bill....I would totally LOVE to go thrift shopping with you! It's too bad that you live closer to Philly and I live closer to Pittsburgh. I try to hit all of the Goodwill/Salvation Army stores as much as I can....I can't get enough of thrift stores!  The pyrex would look so awesome displayed like that. I get all excited thinking about it!!

Written By: wsmith4 on 12/21/07 at 7:19 pm

OMG...I wish we lived closer, Bill....I would totally LOVE to go thrift shopping with you! It's too bad that you live closer to Philly and I live closer to Pittsburgh. I try to hit all of the Goodwill/Salvation Army stores as much as I can....I can't get enough of thrift stores!  The pyrex would look so awesome displayed like that. I get all excited thinking about it!!

That would be so cool! I would love to go thrifting with you!  Do you do yard sales?  My boyfriend was all into it for a couple weeks but then he got tired of getting up early on Saturdays so I'm on my own again LOL  I'm a hardcore yardsaler, though, I'm out the door by 7:30AM.  But I love it, it's such a nice way to spend summer Saturday mornings.  My very favorite few hours of the whole week :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/21/07 at 7:37 pm

That would be so cool! I would love to go thrifting with you!  Do you do yard sales?  My boyfriend was all into it for a couple weeks but then he got tired of getting up early on Saturdays so I'm on my own again LOL  I'm a hardcore yardsaler, though, I'm out the door by 7:30AM.  But I love it, it's such a nice way to spend summer Saturday mornings.  My very favorite few hours of the whole week :)

OMG!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE yard sales! Around here, in the summer...there are a few community yard sales, where whole neighborhoods participate...and sometimes you will have over a hundred houses or so involved. Hey...maybe next summer we can plan a day out of it..and do some yard sales/fleatiques (those are awesome too..not AS expensive as antique shops..but you can still find some great antiques), and thrift stores...how about it!!??! :)

Written By: Davester on 12/21/07 at 9:13 pm

Well, not strictly Pyrex, but I have some Corel Butterfly Gold plates and bowls.  They're all over eBay...

God, we had those since as far back as I can remember.  Mucho nostalgioso...

Written By: wsmith4 on 12/22/07 at 10:13 pm

OMG!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE yard sales! Around here, in the summer...there are a few community yard sales, where whole neighborhoods participate...and sometimes you will have over a hundred houses or so involved. Hey...maybe next summer we can plan a day out of it..and do some yard sales/fleatiques (those are awesome too..not AS expensive as antique shops..but you can still find some great antiques), and thrift stores...how about it!!??! :)

ABSOLUTELY.  That would be so much fun!!!  We seriously should do that.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/23/07 at 12:31 am

ABSOLUTELY.  That would be so much fun!!!  We seriously should do that.

YAY!!! We definitely will then. That will be awesome! :) I'm always looking for fellow bargain buddies!! ;D :D

Check for new replies or respond here...