inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Merry Christmas to inthe00s!

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/21/07 at 4:46 pm

On Sunday I will be away with friends for Christmas and will be returning late on Firday, so tomorrow will be my last true day online by the big day. As Saturday will be a day of packing and last minute buying, I may be less on the boards than usual (but don't quote me on it! http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/santa/grin.gif ). I will be in The Borders area of Scotland, having a good time with Turkey etc and sighting-seeing the area, as I have never been there before.

I may sound premature, but please have a Happy Christmas and enjoy the holiday season.

Subject: Re: Merry Christmas to inthe00s!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/21/07 at 4:54 pm

Mele Kalikimaka to you, Phil...and to everyone else here at inthe00s.com!  :)

Written By: Paul on 12/21/07 at 4:59 pm

Happy Easter Christmas one and all... :)

Written By: gemini on 12/21/07 at 5:19 pm

Merry Christmas to you too Philip and to all the other 00s cast members!  :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/21/07 at 5:21 pm

Merry Christmas to you too Philip and to all the other 00s cast members!  :)

How wonderful to see you again, Rhonda!  I hope you're doing well!  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/21/07 at 5:25 pm

Happy Solstice to one and all and may we truly have peace of earth.

Cat

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 12/21/07 at 6:16 pm

Merry Christmas!!! :)

Written By: Step-chan on 12/21/07 at 7:03 pm

Here we come a wassailing among the trees so green, here we come a wassailing so fair to be seen.

Love and joy, come to you. And to you, your wassail too.

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/21/07 at 7:59 pm

A happy, healthy holiday to one and all.

Written By: coqueta83 on 12/21/07 at 8:01 pm

Feliz Navidad to everybody here that celebrates this wonderful holiday!  :) :) :) :) :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/21/07 at 9:57 pm

Good tidings to you, to you and your kin. Good tidings for Christmas and a Happy New Year.  :)

Written By: wildcard on 12/21/07 at 10:25 pm

Merry Christmas to all and to all a night light Sir night food fight forget it just have a good one. And a happy ewe   new year.

Written By: ninny on 12/21/07 at 10:32 pm

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL :)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 12/22/07 at 2:06 am

Have a good Christmas Phil. It's gunna be quiet 'round here.  :-\\

Written By: Gis on 12/22/07 at 4:37 am

On Sunday I will be away with friends for Christmas and will be returning late on Firday, so tomorrow will be my last true day online by the big day. As Saturday will be a day of packing and last minute buying, I may be less on the boards than usual (but don't quote me on it! http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/santa/grin.gif ). I will be in The Borders area of Scotland, having a good time with Turkey etc and sighting-seeing the area, as I have never been there before.

I may sound premature, but please have a Happy Christmas and enjoy the holiday season.
Have a lovely time Philip, I can't imagine you away from your computer for any length of time!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/22/07 at 6:39 am

Happy Holidays Phil. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/22/07 at 7:56 am

Have a lovely time Philip, I can't imagine you away from your computer for any length of time!  ;D
I will go cold turkey!

Written By: Marian on 12/22/07 at 2:58 pm

God Jul!

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/22/07 at 3:11 pm

From the wind-swept swamps of Oroville doth the Misadventurer Supreme known as HawkTheSlayer send a myriad of Holiday Greetings to the Online Society known as "In the '00s":

Merry Christmas!
Happy Chanukah!
Blessed Ramadan!
Happy Kwanzaa!
Blessed Solstice!

And for those who celebrate nothing, like Jehovah's Witnesses:

Have a wonderful day!

Written By: snozberries on 12/23/07 at 1:59 am

HAPPY FESTIVUS FOR THE REST OF US

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r224/num1fandmb/festivus-card.gif

Written By: nondiva234 on 12/23/07 at 4:57 am

Merry Christmas everyone! And since I'm a one-way quadlinguist, Joyeux Noël à tous, Maligayang Pasko sa Inyong Lahat, and Naimbag na Pascua nga Tawen!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/23/07 at 9:41 am

Merry Christmas Phillip.  I hope it's a lovely one.

. . . Merry Christmas, Happy Winter Solstice, Kwanzaa and other really cool holidays from my family to yours!!! :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/23/07 at 12:13 pm

Merry Christmas everyone! And since I'm a one-way quadlinguist, Joyeux Noël à tous, Maligayang Pasko sa Inyong Lahat, and Naimbag na Pascua nga Tawen!

Wow, that's cool. I'm a bilingual illiterate. I can't read or write in two different languages. (I'll let you guess which languages).  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: jackas on 12/23/07 at 12:30 pm

Merry Christmas, Phil! :)

Written By: statsqueen on 12/23/07 at 2:38 pm

Merry Christmas, Feliz Navidad, Joyeux Noel, Feliz Natal, Buon Natale

Happy Hanukah/Chanukah!

Blessed Kwanzaa

Blessed Ramadan

Blessed Eid  (sorry, I'm a few days late)

Happy Solstice

Written By: Brian06 on 12/23/07 at 4:46 pm

Merry Christmas and a Happy Holiday season to everyone at inthe00s!

Written By: Howard on 12/23/07 at 5:35 pm

Feliz Navidad. :)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/23/07 at 10:51 pm

Happy Holidays everyone!  :)

Written By: snozberries on 12/24/07 at 1:30 am

Happy Holidays everyone!  :)

The way I'm feeling its more like Happy Holi-Daze  ;D

Written By: Gis on 12/24/07 at 4:47 am

I hope Philip got off ok yesterday. The weather here has been bad, thick freezing fog. Over 150 flights were cancelled from Heathrow airport alone and all the motoways were backed up because of the poor driving conditions.  :-\\ 

Written By: Howard on 12/24/07 at 6:23 am

http://www.thealarmclock.com/mt/archives/yulelog.jpg

Merry Christmas!  ;)

Written By: NbC on 12/24/07 at 7:52 am

"God bless us everyone"

Hope everyone has a wonderful and safe holiday season.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/24/07 at 10:46 am

Merry Christmas everyone! :)

Written By: wsmith4 on 12/24/07 at 1:16 pm

Wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

:)

Written By: nally on 12/25/07 at 12:42 am

In short...

Merry Christmas to everyone on inthe00's!!! :) ;) :D ;D 8) O0

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/25/07 at 2:24 am

"HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ALL, AND TO ALL A GOOD-NIGHT."

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 12/25/07 at 2:37 am

Pretty much over here. Eaten way too much, drank way too much and yeah, now I'm just chilling. On my own (First chance to be on my OWN today.)

All in all not a bad day.  8)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/25/07 at 2:42 am

Pretty much over here. Eaten way too much, drank way too much and yeah, now I'm just chilling. On my own (First chance to be on my OWN today.)

All in all not a bad day.  8)
sounds decent Luke. eat, drink, and be merry.  and now you get some chill time on your own in New Zealand.  enjoy  8)

Written By: Howard on 12/25/07 at 6:49 am

Relaxing after a long exhausting day at work yesterday.Everyone,take care and have a good holiday.  ;)

Subject: A Christmas commentary I thought I'd share.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/26/07 at 9:09 pm

Even though it's after the actual day, I still thought I'd share this related essay from Jerry Springer about the Christmas season. Before you cringe lol, this was a Final Thought from when his show was normal and upstanding back in the day (probably 1991-'93). I got it from his autobiography.

By tomorrow at this time, the toys will already have been broken, the kids out of sorts from too much food and too little sleep, and we'll all have spent more than we said we would. But it will all have been worth it, for all the post-holiday exhaustion is confirmation that we did it. We upheld the tradition, we bludgeoned ourselves into the irreversible fatigue. Indeed we celebrated the family. With everything else in the world and in our lives changing, that of all things, once again did not. So the ritual survives, and in that predictability there is comfort and security.

Every time I hear somebody talk about Christmas, invariably they're talking about their childhood. The time dad was out of work, so the stockings left for Santa were leaner...but it was a great Christmas anyway, because mom made these dolls. Or the time grandpa came home from the hospital in time for the holiday, but he wouldn't stay in bed. just so he could come downstairs and play with the new electric train set under the tree.

It is always the memories, but not simply nostalgia. It is instead, a concerted effort beginning shortly after Thanksgiving to recreate the holiday season we had as kids. Just as our parents recreated their childhood for us, and our kids will recreate their joy for their children. We will work at it, often beyond what we can physically, emotionally and financially afford, almost as if it's our one unchanging tie past and future generations.

Our kids will grow up, move out, move away and be different. But whatever they wil become, they will remember the moment they were young, when they first saw the tree, when they didn't know quite how to say it, but they knew they were loved and were never happier. And the fact that the ritual of overindulging is always too much, and always the same, and always a little bit silly, the point is that it is always.

And when you're talking about family, that's the nicest holiday gift of all. The fact that it is always...forever.

You know, on a personal note, I can relate so much to that. Although with as bright and insightful as Jerry is, I do think the magic sort of fades during the "in between years" - once you're no longer a true literal child. Like age 12 (or certainly by 14ish) up until you have your own kids is that weird in limbo period where you're always comparing it to the way things used to be. When you feel alone, this makes these kind of holidays even sadder.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/27/07 at 4:51 am

Y'know, Jesse, it truly depends on what you do with it....

I grew up until the age of 8 knowing and believing in "Santa".
I found out that "Santa" was a perpetuated myth by my brother, who is now a cocaine-addicted artist.

However, I came to realize in my teenage years that the "spirit of Santa Claus", and the "spirit of Christmas" are one and the same. Not in the sense of having one without the other, but in the sense that it evokes a feeling in mankind that is very seldom seen, especially in the world today.

Therefore, when Teela starts to ask questions about "Santa", I will sit her down, and tell her about the true St. Nicholas, and explain about the "spirit of Christmas". How even though the corporeal man died almost 800 years ago, his spirit still lives on in the hearts and souls of those who would believe in the true dream, and help keep the dream alive in a world that has lost so much of its wonder and magic.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/27/07 at 9:00 am

I found out that "Santa" was a perpetuated myth by my brother, who is now a cocaine-addicted artist.

However, I came to realize in my teenage years that the "spirit of Santa Claus", and the "spirit of Christmas" are one and the same. Not in the sense of having one without the other, but in the sense that it evokes a feeling in mankind that is very seldom seen, especially in the world today.

Therefore, when Teela starts to ask questions about "Santa", I will sit her down, and tell her about the true St. Nicholas, and explain about the "spirit of Christmas". How even though the corporeal man died almost 800 years ago, his spirit still lives on in the hearts and souls of those who would believe in the true dream, and help keep the dream alive in a world that has lost so much of its wonder and magic.

karma Wayne...that was better than a Hallmark card! ;)

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 12/27/07 at 9:03 am

Merry two days after Christmas.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/27/07 at 9:04 am

Merry two days after Christmas.

don't you just feel the warm coziness of it all? ::) :-\\ I simply hate the week between christmas and new years. UGH..

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 12/27/07 at 9:12 am

don't you just feel the warm coziness of it all? ::) :-\\ I simply hate the week between christmas and new years. UGH..

Yeah, me, too. I hate New Years, actually.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/27/07 at 9:17 am

ya...me too.

Written By: Gis on 12/27/07 at 9:24 am

God so do I. Infact on the whole, january sucks.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/27/07 at 10:13 am

God so do I. Infact on the whole, january sucks.

yes it does...the only good thing about January...is my birthday!! ;D :D

Written By: Howard on 12/27/07 at 4:38 pm

It's just another day.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/27/07 at 5:24 pm

Those who think that New Year's Eve sucks are just jealous that they're not partying down with me!

-Of course, those who aren't too far away from me are welcome to journey to my neck of the woods and celebrate with me...I'm running entertainment for the Pheasant Club.

Music, dancing, karaoke, laffs......and introducing this year- the Dancing Moose!

Written By: snozberries on 12/27/07 at 7:11 pm

Those who think that New Year's Eve sucks are just jealous that they're not partying down with me!

-Of course, those who aren't too far away from me are welcome to journey to my neck of the woods and celebrate with me...I'm running entertainment for the Pheasant Club.

Music, dancing, karaoke, laffs......and introducing this year- the Dancing Moose!

aw man if I weren't working I would so be there!!!! Have fun!

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/27/07 at 7:22 pm

You might have a point, Hawk. I never thought about it that way before, but it's the spirit that matters, I agree. Even though I wasn't exclusively talking about believing in Santa (which I did fully until I was 7 or 8 before kinda getting doubts, lol) for the downfall of Christmas, it did coincide with alot of other things in my life slowly going downhill. Such as my grandparents all dying, and not always being able to take trips to see the ones I have (they live in Florida and I'm in northern California). Along with me "growing up" more and more, I guess we stopped putting as much effort into it, so I've always longed for the chance to do that again.

Every holiday season since 1996, even if it's good, I can't help but compare it with the ones I had as a (literal) kid and think of "the way things used to be". Although I can see that changing back the other way again, just in a different sense.

Written By: Howard on 12/28/07 at 7:00 am

Happy New Year. :)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/28/07 at 1:26 pm

You might have a point, Hawk. I never thought about it that way before, but it's the spirit that matters, I agree. Even though I wasn't exclusively talking about believing in Santa (which I did fully until I was 7 or 8 before kinda getting doubts, lol) for the downfall of Christmas, it did coincide with alot of other things in my life slowly going downhill. Such as my grandparents all dying, and not always being able to take trips to see the ones I have (they live in Florida and I'm in northern California). Along with me "growing up" more and more, I guess we stopped putting as much effort into it, so I've always longed for the chance to do that again.

Every holiday season since 1996, even if it's good, I can't help but compare it with the ones I had as a (literal) kid and think of "the way things used to be". Although I can see that changing back the other way again, just in a different sense.

It all has to do with how magical you can help make the Holiday, no matter which one it is.
My Mom used to make Christmas very magical, and she passed that knowledge to me.

Written By: Gis on 12/28/07 at 2:50 pm

It all has to do with how magical you can help make the Holiday, no matter which one it is.
My Mom used to make Christmas very magical, and she passed that knowledge to me.
Dolly knows how to party at christmas time!  ;D

Written By: Dude111 on 01/06/08 at 10:57 am

I hope everyone had a good christmas :)

Check for new replies or respond here...