inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Boxing Day Sales

Written By: whistledog on 12/26/07 at 1:37 am

For you folks in Canada, UK, Australia and NZ, are you going to cash in on the Boxing Day sales this year?

In an effort to beat the usual crowds, I'm not even going to sleep so I can be at Wal-Mart right at 7am when they open ;D

Every year, Wal-Mart has loads of TV on DVD sets at 2/$35.  This year, I'm going to get all the ones that I don't have 8)

Subject: Re: Boxing Day Sales

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 12/26/07 at 2:02 am

Ive never been at one of them sales, no thanks! I hate shopping at the quietest of times.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 12/26/07 at 2:03 am

And I also went a bit over budget with Christmas shopping. I'm not allowed to buy anything of value over $20 for the next 2 weeks.

Written By: McDonald on 12/26/07 at 2:35 am

I'm definitely going to give Zellers, Walmart and Future Shop a good look around at the very least. I love a good bargain if I can find one. Although a lot of Boxing Day bargains aren't as good as they seem, and you sort of just assume it's the best one you'll find simply because it's Boxing Day.

I'll report what I find later on today.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/26/07 at 7:08 am

You gotta be nuts to run out and get beat up in the stores for what is usually too much of nothing.  ::)

Written By: La Roche on 12/26/07 at 7:15 am

You gotta be nuts to run out and get beat up in the stores for what is usually too much of nothing.  ::)

Yeah, I'd have to agree.

There are several things I need to pick up, but I'll wait until January 3rd.. 4th kind of time. The sales are still going on so I can pick up a decent bargain and save some cash, but at the same time, the mad rush has slowed down. Plus, I'll take Pete and we'll just bounce people.  ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 12/26/07 at 7:21 am

People seem to think you have to go out the day after, far from the truth because the prices stay pretty much the same until mid February when they start exchanging for the spring and summer stuff.  You probably will make out better, especially this year, the retailers have all their panties in a wad because it was a pretty bad year for them, which will make it good for us.

Written By: Jessica on 12/26/07 at 9:26 am

People seem to think you have to go out the day after, far from the truth because the prices stay pretty much the same until mid February when they start exchanging for the spring and summer stuff.  You probably will make out better, especially this year, the retailers have all their panties in a wad because it was a pretty bad year for them, which will make it good for us.

Oh, we're going out. But not for shopping. I'd rather shoot myself in the foot that venture into a store.

We're just heading to the Goodwill to give up some more perfectly good toys that Jason has outgrew. What with his giant gift yesterday (a train set), I could probably give away all his other toys and he wouldn't give a crap. ;D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/26/07 at 11:21 am

I'm gonna wait just so I can give the stores a chance to 'restock'... :)

Written By: Paul on 12/26/07 at 12:12 pm

I'm gonna wait just so I can give the stores a chance to 'restock'... :)

I'm gonna wait just so I can give my bank balance a chance to 'restock'... :P

Written By: Gis on 12/26/07 at 2:26 pm

I may go into town tomorrow, not sure if I can be bothered this year which isn't like me. I don't have anything I really want and I am skint anyway.
:-\\

Written By: Howard on 12/26/07 at 3:18 pm

Could this also be a day to buy Boxing Gloves? ;D

Written By: Marian on 12/26/07 at 4:05 pm

Could this also be a day to buy Boxing Gloves? ;D
LOL why can't they call it thaT IN aMERICA1

Written By: McDonald on 12/26/07 at 4:55 pm

I got a new coat for $30, and a toque for like $6. But man, there were so many people in the mall today. None of the stores opened until 1pm, but when they did, my god. I remember going to HMV and seeing a bunch of good DVDs for cheap. "Knocked Up" was like $7. Seasons of Family Guy, Simpsons, Futurama, Arrested D. were like 2 for $30. Craziness.

Written By: whistledog on 12/27/07 at 12:19 am

At Wal-Mart, they had every season of 'I Love Lucy', 'Charmed', 'Everybody Loves Raymond', 'Friends', 'The OC', 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' and 'Angel' for $14.88 each.  I bought all the Lucy sets for my mom

Written By: danootaandme on 12/27/07 at 5:57 am

At Wal-Mart, they had every season of 'I Love Lucy', 'Charmed', 'Everybody Loves Raymond', 'Friends', 'The OC', 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' and 'Angel' for $14.88 each.  I bought all the Lucy sets for my mom

I heard they also had a gift card melt down.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/27/07 at 9:05 am

wow...I wish our Walmart would have great sales like that.

Written By: Gis on 12/27/07 at 9:26 am

I braved the sales. The trains were in chaos so I spent more time travelling to and fro than I did going round the shops! I managed to resist all the stuff I really didn't need for once. I bought some half price christmas paper for next year two tops and a dress for the party I'm going to on saturday.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/27/07 at 10:17 am

I braved the sales. The trains were in chaos so I spent more time travelling to and fro than I did going round the shops! I managed to resist all the stuff I really didn't need for once. I bought some half price christmas paper for next year two tops and a dress for the party I'm going to on saturday.

Well done, Gis!  :D

Written By: whistledog on 12/31/07 at 5:07 pm

Boxing Week sales.  Check out these deals ...

DVD Box Sets ...
Three's Company (Season 2) - $14.99
Three's Company (Season 6) - $19.99
L.A. Heat (Season 1) - $10.00
21 Jump Street (Season 5) - $29.99

Single DVDs ...
License to Wed - $5.00
Shooter - $4.99

Written By: whistledog on 12/26/08 at 10:18 pm

It's that time again for Boxing Day sales.  So, what did I get this year?

DVD Box Sets ...
Lois and Clark - $19.99
ER - $19.99
ER - $19.99
The Michael J. Fox Collection - $10.00
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - $10.00

Single DVDs ...
Get Smart - $19.99

Written By: Howard on 12/27/08 at 7:01 am

Would they sell boxing gloves on Boxing day?

Written By: Gis on 12/27/08 at 10:48 am

Would they sell boxing gloves on Boxing day?
In a sports store I should imagine.

I went today they were pretty pants because most of them started before christmas this year.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/27/08 at 10:50 am

I went today they were pretty pants because most of them started before christmas this year.
Was all the produce at 70% off already gone?

Written By: Gis on 12/27/08 at 10:55 am

Was all the produce at 70% off already gone?
Very little had that much off, if you look closely at the signs they say 'Up to 70% off' and them one crappy item in the whole store has 70% off and the rest has 30%.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/27/08 at 11:10 am

Very little had that much off, if you look closely at the signs they say 'Up to 70% off' and them one crappy item in the whole store has 70% off and the rest has 30%.
My wife was in Oxford Street yesterday and she was disappointed.

Written By: whistledog on 12/27/08 at 5:11 pm

"Up to 70% Off"

Most of the stuff in stores that are 70% off is the left over Christmas stock.  Every year, I see people buying Christmas decorations, paper etc on Boxing Day which is stupid.  You buy it for next year, but come next year, you forget where you put it, so you have to buy it all over again

Written By: Howard on 12/27/08 at 6:47 pm

What color were they?

Written By: Gis on 12/28/08 at 6:19 am

What color were they?
Pants = crap, useless, no good.

It's a slang word in the U.K. So I was saying the sales were no good not that I bought any trousers.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/28/08 at 6:32 am

Pants = crap, useless, no good.

It's a slang word in the U.K. So I was saying the sales were no good not that I bought any trousers.  ;D

I'm guessing you must've returned them?

Written By: Dagwood on 12/28/08 at 8:37 am

She didn't buy any, Howard.  It was slang for there were no good sales.

Written By: Gis on 12/28/08 at 2:47 pm

As Dagwood says I didn't actually buy anything, I was saying the sales were pants, ie the sales were crap.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/28/08 at 2:49 pm

As Dagwood says I didn't actually buy anything, I was saying the sales were pants, ie the sales were crap.
We got new plates, etc for the dining table.

Written By: Howard on 12/28/08 at 9:47 pm

She didn't buy any, Howard.  It was slang for there were no good sales.

I'm sorry,I guess I didn't understand.

Written By: Gis on 12/29/08 at 6:38 am

I'm sorry,I guess I didn't understand.
That's ok, I forget sometimes when I use slang words that not everybody knows what the mean!

Today I bought a cool purple and black hoodie and a half price make-up kit.  :)

Written By: Gis on 01/04/09 at 11:20 am

Did a little more shopping on friday, I ended up buying a couple of presents for other people and a couple of tops for me.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/04/09 at 12:09 pm

On Friday on our way to the pantomime, we past an open Woolworths, but we had no time to stop and stare, or buy.

Written By: whistledog on 01/05/09 at 12:38 am

Boxing Week sales are still going on in some stores around here.  Bought a bunch of Blu-Ray movies for $9.99 each

Written By: whistledog on 12/26/09 at 6:27 am

Best Buy @ 6:30am.  Longest line-ups at the checkouts ever.  Worth it though as I got a whole whack of Playstation 3 games for $19.99 each.

Also got a bunch of 'Law and Order' Seasons plus Season 6 of 'Northern Exposure' for $12.99 each and Seasons 3-5 of 'Martin' for $10 each.  Good times!

Written By: Howard on 12/26/09 at 6:34 am

Worth it though as I got a whole whack of Playstation 3 games for $19.99 each.

Hey,That's not bad,But What about Playstation 2 games?  ???

Written By: whistledog on 12/26/09 at 6:52 am

Hey,That's not bad,But What about Playstation 2 games?  ???

Old technology now.  Gotta keep up with the times

Written By: Howard on 12/26/09 at 7:12 am

Old technology now.  Gotta keep up with the times

I can never part with my Playstation2.

Written By: whistledog on 12/26/09 at 7:26 am

I can never part with my Playstation2.

PS2 is still popuar; New select games are still being made for it, and as soon as the PS3 will be compatible with PS2 games, the PS2 as a console and new games for it will probably no longer be sold.

Written By: whistledog on 12/26/09 at 10:54 am

A breakdown of what I got ...

Playstation 3 Games ($19.99 each)
- Metal Gear Solid 4
- Fight Night: Round 4
- Street Fighter IV
- MLB 09: The Show
- NBA 09: The Inside
- NHL 2K10

TV on DVD ($10 each)
- Martin (Season 3)
- Martin (Season 4)
- Martin (Season 5)

TV on DVD ($12.99 each)
- Law and Order (Season 5)
- Law and Order (Season 14)
- Law and Order: SVU (Season 5)
- Northern Exposure (Season 6)

Written By: Howard on 12/26/09 at 6:46 pm

PS2 is still popuar; New select games are still being made for it, and as soon as the PS3 will be compatible with PS2 games, the PS2 as a console and new games for it will probably no longer be sold.

And the PS2 is still cheaper these days.

Written By: whistledog on 12/26/09 at 7:36 pm

And the PS2 is still cheaper these days.

Yes, but it's lower technology than the PS3.  Most video games stores give almost next to nothing for PS2 trade-ins. 

Written By: Frank on 12/26/09 at 10:32 pm

Went to Best Buy today, loads of people, the DVDs I wanted were not on sale (less than $15 for TV shows, less than $10 for movies)

Written By: Howard on 12/27/09 at 6:51 am

Yes, but it's lower technology than the PS3.  Most video games stores give almost next to nothing for PS2 trade-ins. 

How much would I get for some wrestling games?  ???

Written By: whistledog on 12/27/09 at 6:56 am

How much would I get for some wrestling games?  ???

For PS3?  Don't know if normal pricing would be the same for the States, but before Xmas, I got 'Legends of Wrestlemania' for $34.99 and 'Raw vs. Smackdown 2009' for $19.99

Written By: Howard on 12/27/09 at 7:31 am

For PS3?  Don't know if normal pricing would be the same for the States, but before Xmas, I got 'Legends of Wrestlemania' for $34.99 and 'Raw vs. Smackdown 2009' for $19.99

No,PS2

http://docdz.com/Images/SmackdownHereComesThePain.jpg

Here's one of the games I have that I don't play anymore.^

Written By: whistledog on 12/27/09 at 11:51 am

Oh ok I setcha.  You mean to sell them.  It would depend on the game that you are selling.  Older games generally get next to nothing for trade-in value.  If you get even $5, consider yourself very lucky

Written By: Howard on 12/27/09 at 6:46 pm

Oh ok I setcha.  You mean to sell them.  It would depend on the game that you are selling.  Older games generally get next to nothing for trade-in value.  If you get even $5, consider yourself very lucky

That game is 2004,5 years old.

Check for new replies or respond here...