inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Romance Stories- Ladies here's one for us. Guys are welcome too of course.

Written By: ladyhawk on 12/29/07 at 11:11 pm

There is a Romance story that was written for a magazine in July of either 1996 or 1997, I was the the main charactor of this particular story as it was written by someone I knew. They told me about it, but I never got to read it. So if anyone knows about it or could help me find it, I would appreciate it. But anyhow how about we discuss some Romantic Stories that we like. Sound like fun?

Subject: Re: Romance Stories- Ladies here's one for us. Guys are welcome too of course.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/31/07 at 11:08 am

Well since no one else will respond-I will.

In terms of fiction, I like Jude Deveraux. I don't have ALL her books-but most of them. I love the fact that she uses the same family throughout many of her books. There was one book that even had a genealogy of her characters and which book their story could be found in. Not ALL of her books are related-so to speak. But a good majority of them are.

As for non-fiction, I would have say my own story. I fell in love with a very romantic guy and just my luck, he fell in love with me, too.  ;)

BTW, if you PM me info about that story that was written, maybe I can help you locate it.

Cat

Subject: Re: Romance Stories- Ladies here's one for us. Guys are welcome too of course.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/31/07 at 8:03 pm

For fiction, my favorite romances are usually by the Bronte Sisters. I also like Kazuo Ishigaro, L.M. Montgomery, O. Henry, etc.

For non-fiction, probably Ava Gardner and Frank Sinatra, C.S. Lewis and Joy Davidman, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, and more. And, of course, my boyfriend and I are quite blessed in our relationship and I find our love story only getting richer and richer.  :)  :-*

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 01/02/08 at 7:35 am

If you are speaking about stories that spark romance of the Ages, consider well Dante and Beatrice.
He saw her only twice in his life, yet the romance that was there lives on even today.

One might consider also the love described in Hugo's "Les Miserables".
The love between Marius and Cosette was powerful...as was Eponine's unrequitted love for Marius.
You also have the secret love that Valjean had for Fantine. Hidden on both counts from each other, yet when Valjean was at last dying, who did he turn to, among all the ghosts in his mind?

-Of course, if you want special love stories, "The Hunchback Of Notre Dame" is exceptional.
Quasimodo's unblemished love for Esmerlada was more powerful than most, since he not only gave her sanctuary, but also defied the mobs of villagers in France, as well as Dom Frollo, who was a wicked wretch in his own heart.
Purportedly, when their skeletons were found, the sole attempt to separate them caused them both to crumble into dust.

This story hits me especially, since not only am I "physically challenged", but I once performed bits of this tale in HS Speech & Debate. When I got the score sheets back, I had trouble reading a couple, because of what I was told were teardrops.

And of course, some of you know a bit of my own romance story.
One I would not trade for the entire Unverse.

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/04/11 at 4:27 am

(Old copypasta is old.  But old thread is old.  Can anyone find the original version/attribution to the following Guy's Fairy Tale?)

Once upon a time, a Prince asked a beautiful Princess, "Will you marry me?"

The Princess said, "NO!"

And the Prince lived happily ever after and rode motorcycles and went fishing and hunting and played golf and drank beer and scotch and had tons of money in the bank and left the toilet seat up and farted whenever he wanted.

The End.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 07/05/11 at 12:20 pm

Not sure if they're really considered "romance" novels, guess they're more "softcore smut" :D, but I'm a fan of Jackie Collins 8)

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/08/11 at 12:00 am

Not sure if they're really considered "romance" novels, guess they're more "softcore smut" :D, but I'm a fan of Jackie Collins 8)

*headscratch*

There's a difference?

Written By: wsmith4 on 07/08/11 at 8:20 am

I prefer the romance novels of yesteryear, such as Romeo & Juliet, Hamlet, or Capricornius.  Specifically, I love the scene in Capricornius where Foosius and Poopisus are wondering in the desert and stop for quickie at the oasis. 

Did anyone ever read Apollo 13?  I believe it was released sometime in the mid 18th century France.  I find it so interesting how people viewed Romance back then, almost with an iron fist.  Was there no romance until the 19th century when wigs and bras were introduced?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/08/11 at 11:13 am

I prefer the romance novels of yesteryear, such as Romeo & Juliet, Hamlet, or Capricornius.  Specifically, I love the scene in Capricornius where Foosius and Poopisus are wondering in the desert and stop for quickie at the oasis. 

Did anyone ever read Apollo 13?  I believe it was released sometime in the mid 18th century France.  I find it so interesting how people viewed Romance back then, almost with an iron fist.  Was there no romance until the 19th century when wigs and bras were introduced?

Have you been learning your history from Sarah Palin and/or Michele Bachmann again?

Cat

Written By: 2kidsami on 07/08/11 at 12:45 pm

She's great!

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 07/24/11 at 2:53 pm

*headscratch*

There's a difference?
Yes....she gets a bit more graphic at times ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...