inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Gotta Love the IRS...

Written By: Henk on 01/12/08 at 8:02 am

Look what I found in my Yahoo! spambox recently...

After the last annual calculations of your fiscal activity we have determined that
you are eligible to receive a tax refund of $109.23.
Please submit the tax refund request and allow us 3-6 days in order to
process it.

A refund can be delayed for a variety of reasons.
For example submitting invalid records or applying after the deadline.

To access the form for your tax refund, please click here

Note: Deliberate wrong inputs will be prosecuted by law.

Regards,
Internal Revenue Service

I've no idea what this email is doing there. I'm not even a US citizen... Can anyone tell me if this common practice? ??? Should I contact the IRS?

Subject: Re: Gotta Love the IRS...

Written By: karen on 01/12/08 at 8:49 am

Maybe they are getting contact details from inthe00s now?

Written By: Jessica on 01/12/08 at 9:18 am

Could be a scam.

Written By: Henk on 01/12/08 at 9:24 am

Could be a scam.

That's what I was thinking. I know the Dutch tax office doesn't work via email, anyway, and I figure the IRS doesn't either. But I need to be sure.

Maybe they are getting contact details from inthe00s now?

I don't know how my Yahoo! account could be linked to inthe00s... I don't use it that much. :-\\ But then, there's a lot of things I don't know.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/12/08 at 9:27 am

That's gotta be phony. The IRS wouldn't send out an email like that.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/12/08 at 9:30 am

The IRS sends you correspondence in the form of snail mail or an actual IRS agent that audits you.

Written By: Henk on 01/12/08 at 9:32 am

That's gotta be phony. The IRS wouldn't send out an email like that.

The IRS sends you correspondence in the form of snail mail or an actual IRS agent that audits you.

Just as I was thinking. I suppose someone is trying to diddle some confidential information out of me. Well, I'm not buying.

I'll just ignore the email and delete it. Thanks for your help. :)

Written By: Paul on 01/12/08 at 9:42 am

Sort-of related, but rather than receiving mail from the IRS, I seem to be a red-hot contact for poor Nigerian souls who have a ton of cash going spare, but no bank account to put it in ('so please forward your banking details and we'll ensure you get a cut of the money, etc.')

Just as I was thinking. I suppose someone is trying to diddle some confidential information out of me. Well, I'm not buying.

Congratulations and well done, sir!  :)

Written By: Henk on 01/12/08 at 9:47 am

Sort-of related, but rather than receiving mail from the IRS, I seem to be a red-hot contact for poor Nigerian souls who have a ton of cash going spare, but no bank account to put it in ('so please forward your banking details and we'll ensure you get a cut of the money, etc.')

Only a ton...? Nah...I wouldn't go for those either. ;)

Congratulations and well done, sir!  :)

I'm not half the fool people think I am...or something like that.

Written By: whistledog on 01/12/08 at 10:28 am

It's obviously phony.  Heck, I get e-mails all the time telling me that I've won the UK National lottery

Written By: Dagwood on 01/12/08 at 10:54 am

It is a scam.  I was looking for information on their website and they warned of emails like this. 

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=170894,00.html

Updated Nov. 7, 2007 — In a variation, an e-mail scam claims to come from  the IRS and the Taxpayer Advocate Service (a genuine and independent organization within the IRS whose employees assist taxpayers with unresolved tax problems). The e-mail says that the recipient is eligible for a tax refund and directs the recipient to click on a link that leads to a fake IRS Web site. The IRS recommends that recipients do not click on links in, or open any attachments to, e-mails they receive that are unsolicited or that come from unknown sources.     

I have won that same lottery numerous times, whistledog.  My favorites are the ones from banks telling me that I need to set up a new PIN and I don't even have an account there. ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/12/08 at 11:35 am

It is called phishing. Don't respond to it at all.

Cat

Written By: Gis on 01/12/08 at 11:37 am

If you hover your mouse over the 'click here' link (but whatever you do don't click on it!) it will show you the address of the link. It's always a completely random email address with absolutely nothing to do with the people who are meant to have sent it.

Written By: Henk on 01/12/08 at 2:40 pm

It is called phishing. Don't respond to it at all.

Cat

Don't worry, I won't. :) In fact, I've already deleted the message.

It is a scam.  I was looking for information on their website and they warned of emails like this. 

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=170894,00.html

Well, getting an email from the IRS in the first place (when I've no business in US at all, and never have) seemed weird to me. I'm glad I asked around, though.

And again: thanks for the help & info. :)

Written By: statsqueen on 01/12/08 at 5:15 pm

I see I'm a little late with this, but glad other members told you it was fake.  It may be obvious due to the fact that you have no dealings in the US, but you would (or maybe not) be surprised how many in the US believe it.  I have gotten it a few times on my work e-mail.  Someone else must have gotten it, too, and contacted another department because shortly after a University Wide Notice was sent out that whatever you do, don't click on it and don't believe it because it was a scam (just like the one from the Nigerian consulate telling you that they need your help transferring a large amount of money--or something like that).

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/12/08 at 5:20 pm

Look what I found in my Yahoo! spambox recently...

After the last annual calculations of your fiscal activity we have determined that
you are eligible to receive a tax refund of $109.23.
Please submit the tax refund request and allow us 3-6 days in order to
process it.

A refund can be delayed for a variety of reasons.
For example submitting invalid records or applying after the deadline.

To access the form for your tax refund, please click here

Note: Deliberate wrong inputs will be prosecuted by law.

Regards,
Internal Revenue Service

I've no idea what this email is doing there. I'm not even a US citizen... Can anyone tell me if this common practice? ??? Should I contact the IRS?

It's a scam, no one in their right minds does their taxes before February.  Besides like you said you're not even a U.S. citizen.

Check for new replies or respond here...