inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Fantasy Baseball

Written By: La Roche on 01/15/08 at 7:00 pm

I didn't know if this should be in sports or not, technically it's not really a sports thing, more a playful thing.. so, I'll leave Ant or whoever to be the judge of that.

Anywho, Yahoo being the best fantasy baseball service start their leagues in early February and I figured that because I'm the mack of all Fantasy Baseball I'd start a league for the members of this board. I guess you could all go ahead and start your own, but, I thought if everyone competed against each other it would be fun. Anyway, let me know if you'd be interested and we can discuss how to set up the league. I always do non-keeper leagues, I guess if others had issues with that we could discuss it, but that's how most leagues work, so let me know who'd be interested.

Subject: Re: Fantasy Baseball

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/15/08 at 8:16 pm

for money or just for fun?

Written By: La Roche on 01/15/08 at 8:30 pm

for money or just for fun?

Well, I don't tend to do it for money, I suppose there'd be no reason not to. I guess maybe if we had enough people, the winner could get the cost of his teams jersey split or something? Replica jersey is usually like $70-100. Figure on 10-12 players, I guess that might be a pretty cool prize?

Written By: Red Ant on 01/15/08 at 10:46 pm

I didn't know if this should be in sports or not, technically it's not really a sports thing, more a playful thing.. so, I'll leave Ant or whoever to be the judge of that.

Anywho, Yahoo being the best fantasy baseball service start their leagues in early February and I figured that because I'm the mack of all Fantasy Baseball I'd start a league for the members of this board. I guess you could all go ahead and start your own, but, I thought if everyone competed against each other it would be fun. Anyway, let me know if you'd be interested and we can discuss how to set up the league. I always do non-keeper leagues, I guess if others had issues with that we could discuss it, but that's how most leagues work, so let me know who'd be interested.

Fantasy Baseball Is Serious Stuff!!

It doesn't matter to me where the thread is (here is as good as the sports board), though it'll be less likely to get buried on the sports board. Let me or Tam or Bobo know if you want it there.

For someone like me who has no idea how fantasy sports work, could you explain it? I take it you pick players and a manager based on stats and work from there, but how are games decided vs another fantasy team? Or does it work completely different than that?

Ant

Written By: karen on 01/15/08 at 10:55 pm

I was once a champion Fantasy Football (soccer) manager at work.  Not sure I could do baseball so well though.  :-\\

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/16/08 at 1:02 am

Well, I don't tend to do it for money, I suppose there'd be no reason not to. I guess maybe if we had enough people, the winner could get the cost of his teams jersey split or something? Replica jersey is usually like $70-100. Figure on 10-12 players, I guess that might be a pretty cool prize?
I have zero experience in fantasy leagues, perfect opponent for you to dominate  ;D  are players allowed to use steroids since it's just fantasy?

Written By: La Roche on 01/16/08 at 7:37 am

Fantasy Baseball Is Serious Stuff!!

It doesn't matter to me where the thread is (here is as good as the sports board), though it'll be less likely to get buried on the sports board. Let me or Tam or Bobo know if you want it there.

For someone like me who has no idea how fantasy sports work, could you explain it? I take it you pick players and a manager based on stats and work from there, but how are games decided vs another fantasy team? Or does it work completely different than that?

Ant

It's all Math and Analysis.  ;D

Basically you select a roster of players in a draft format, putting the players you feel are the most valuable as your first draft choices. You do this by analyzing their stats and predicting what they will do in the upcoming season. For instance, say Derek Jeeter is your favorite player and you think he's just great, that doesn't necessarily mean you want to put him as your first pick, maybe there's another guy who's just been traded to a club who have a ballpark really helpful to hitters, maybe you want to pick him up because you think he's going to do well this season. You pick pitchers and position players and once the season has started you can always pick up free agents that haven't been selected by a team yet or trade with other players in the league.

I was once a champion Fantasy Football (soccer) manager at work.  Not sure I could do baseball so well though.  :-\\

It's more or less the same principal. One thing you have to appreciate though is that you don't actually need a knowledge of baseball to enjoy it. Baseball is the most statistically dependent sport there is, so if you have a good grasp of Math and Statistical Analysis you'll be able to do well. There are two ways to do it, be a baseball fanatic like Moi and just know.. who has/will do well, or be really smart and look at the Math side of it and use analysis technique to interpret the numbers and work out what might happen.

I have zero experience in fantasy leagues, perfect opponent for you to dominate  ;D  are players allowed to use steroids since it's just fantasy?

Really? I thought you might have a decent knowledge. But still, you're pretty up on your baseball.
Mike, if you want to juice up that's fine, just understand, I like a case of Stella delivered every Tuesday and a honey roasted Ham delivered every Friday.. unless of course.. Mr. Mitchell were to receive a phone call.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/16/08 at 11:57 am

I'd love to do it but my free time is like minimal :P

Maybe next season.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/16/08 at 12:02 pm

Who's on first?

Check for new replies or respond here...