inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Concert Last Night (Beethoven and Rachmaninov)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/20/08 at 7:27 am

At the Royal Festival Hall in London last night was a concert in a series celebrating the 75th annivesary of The London Philharmonic Orchestra.

The two pieces for the concert were Beethoven’s Piano Concerto No.1 in C, and Rachmaninov’ Symphony No,2 in E minor. The Orchestra was The London Philharmonic Orchestra, the conductor was Roberto Minzcuk. The soloist for the Piano Concert was John Lill, who is “acclaimed in particular as a leading interpreter of Beethoven”.

The evening started, to my surprise, there was short interview on stage with John Lill before the concert. He told of his love for piano playing at a young age and could pick out tunes at the age of three. He has a career spanning over fifty years after his first piano recital at the age of nine.

The Piano Concert was played well, I have only heard several times before so really it was new to me. John Lill in that interview described the Largo as “broadly expressive and should be not treated as an Adagio”, meaning it will be slower but with masterful playing.

The Rachmaninov Symphony which celebrates its 100th anniversary this year was performed well, with its mournful sounds portrayed hauntingly. It was from the Adagio of this symphony Eric Carmen took the melody for his song “Never Gonna Fall in Love Again”, which was made popular with Dana in the UK back in March 1976.

The applause at the end was a standing ovation, but no there was no encore.

Subject: Re: The Concert Last Night.

Written By: adagio on 01/20/08 at 11:31 am

I read the whole thing twice, not because I didn't understand, but it was music to my ears.  I'm trying to imagine Rachmaninov's playing, which I heard before.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/20/08 at 11:51 am

Sorry no pictures were taken last night.

Written By: adagio on 01/20/08 at 11:58 am

That would certainly go in your scrapbook.

Written By: adagio on 01/21/08 at 8:11 am

Do you sit there and wish that you could play like they do?  Or do you play something?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/21/08 at 8:37 am

Do you sit there and wish that you could play like they do?  Or do you play something?
I am self taught on the piano (never had any lessons) and I totally admire the playing of the musicians on stage.

Written By: adagio on 01/21/08 at 8:52 am

I don't have any training of any musical instrument, but being in choir (I guess that was kind of self taught since I must blend with the choir and sing the right notes and I really don't read music).  Now I find myself humming or singing the alto part to a song.  Guess you might guess how much I like music by daring to put adagio as my screen name.  : )

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/21/08 at 12:55 pm

I don't have any training of any musical instrument, but being in choir (I guess that was kind of self taught since I must blend with the choir and sing the right notes and I really don't read music).  Now I find myself humming or singing the alto part to a song.  Guess you might guess how much I like music by daring to put adagio as my screen name.  : )
In the same way, I try to imagine which keys are played on the piano, for I can pick out a tune very quickly, but it is my finger that let me down.

Written By: adagio on 01/21/08 at 1:01 pm

I can imagine that...any particular finer or all of them?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/21/08 at 1:07 pm

I can imagine that...any particular finer or all of them?
The main melody of the tune or piece.

Written By: adagio on 01/21/08 at 1:11 pm

Do you read music?  Maybe if you do you could get sheet music to the ones that interest you.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/21/08 at 1:23 pm

Do you read music?  Maybe if you do you could get sheet music to the ones that interest you.
Yes, I can read music (self taught again), I go into music shops, read the sheet music, remember the basic melody and chords, and then walk out.

Written By: adagio on 01/21/08 at 2:04 pm

Hehe...but a whole concert?  Maybe you'd better buy one.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/21/08 at 2:06 pm

Hehe...but a whole concert?  Maybe you'd better buy one.
No, when read the sheet music, just the first notes and chords, the rest will follow with practice on the keyboards.

Written By: adagio on 01/21/08 at 2:10 pm

Dang...you're good!

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/21/08 at 2:11 pm

Dang...you're good!
No good, but passable.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/21/08 at 2:13 pm

At the Royal Festival Hall in London last night was a concert in a series celebrating the 75th annivesary of The London Philharmonic Orchestra.

The two pieces for the concert were Beethoven’s Piano Concerto No.1 in C, and Rachmaninov’ Symphony No,2 in E minor. The Orchestra was The London Philharmonic Orchestra, the conductor was Roberto Minzcuk. The soloist for the Piano Concert was John Lill, who is “acclaimed in particular as a leading interpreter of Beethoven”.

The evening started, to my surprise, there was short interview on stage with John Lill before the concert. He told of his love for piano playing at a young age and could pick out tunes at the age of three. He has a career spanning over fifty years after his first piano recital at the age of nine.

The Piano Concert was played well, I have only heard several times before so really it was new to me. John Lill in that interview described the Largo as “broadly expressive and should be not treated as an Adagio”, meaning it will be slower but with masterful playing.

The Rachmaninov Symphony which celebrates its 100th anniversary this year was performed well, with its mournful sounds portrayed hauntingly. It was from the Adagio of this symphony Eric Carmen took the melody for his song “Never Gonna Fall in Love Again”, which was made popular with Dana in the UK back in March 1976.

The applause at the end was a standing ovation, but no there was no encore.

excellent review. It should be printed in local paper.  I'm sure the concert brought you pleasure and should be noted on another thread as well

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/21/08 at 2:15 pm

excellent review. It should be printed in local paper.  I'm sure the concert brought you pleasure and should be noted on another thread as well
There is another concert this Friday, more about it nearer the time.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/21/08 at 2:16 pm

There is another concert this Friday, more about it nearer the time.
I would love to go.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/21/08 at 2:17 pm

I would love to go.
It will be a good one.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/21/08 at 2:20 pm

It will be a good one.
I will look forward to the next review

Written By: adagio on 01/21/08 at 2:24 pm

As will I.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/21/08 at 2:25 pm

I will look forward to the next review
I am already impatiently waiting for Friday.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/24/08 at 1:38 pm

Stand by for a new thread on Saturday on the concert I will be attending tomorrow night.

Written By: adagio on 01/24/08 at 1:48 pm

What music?  Or should I wait for the thread?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/24/08 at 1:49 pm

What music?  Or should I wait for the thread?
The whole board will have to wait.

Written By: adagio on 01/24/08 at 2:00 pm

doggone!  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/24/08 at 2:02 pm

doggone!  :)
You (or anyone) are welcome to find by "Googling" the concert I am going to tomorrow.

Written By: adagio on 01/24/08 at 2:06 pm

You (or anyone) are welcome to find by "Googling" the concert I am going to tomorrow.

But, which one?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/24/08 at 2:07 pm

But, which one?
There are clues in the origin of this thread.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/28/08 at 4:40 pm

I have re-heard Rachmaninov's 2nd Symphony since this concert, and still enjoyed it.

Written By: adagio on 01/28/08 at 6:45 pm

I would hope so!  (were you saying goodnight a few posts back or was that the thread?

Subject: Re: The Concert Last Night (Beethoven and Rachmaninov)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/29/08 at 1:49 am

I have re-heard Rachmaninov's 2nd Symphony since this concert, and still enjoyed it.

I would hope so! 
It is worth hearing the 2nd and 3rd movements again.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/29/08 at 1:50 am

...were you saying goodnight a few posts back or was that the thread?
That was another thread.

Written By: adagio on 01/29/08 at 6:19 am

oh, I see the rational...pick up some points while saying good night.

Check for new replies or respond here...