inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Question On Replying...

Written By: Davester on 01/25/08 at 5:03 am

With the myriad "The Thing You Bought" or "80s Song You're Listening To"-type threads someone will reply with, "bought a ham sandwich", for instance.  I was never sure if one expects a comment on that.  Like, "Was it a good sandwich?" or "Was it honey roasted ham?"  "What kind of bread?"  Or if the post, itself, is the whole point with no comments needed or expected...

Anyone..?

Subject: Re: Question On Replying...

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/25/08 at 5:13 am

Replies are optional.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/25/08 at 5:15 am

My opinion is, it's not mandatory, but if you think of something to carry on the conversation, then that's the better.  Alot of people might not have the patience to reply to blow-off answers, but then again, I guess they would just skip those kinds of threads probably, huh?  ;D

Written By: Davester on 01/25/08 at 5:48 am

My opinion is, it's not mandatory, but if you think of something to carry on the conversation, then that's the better.  Alot of people might not have the patience to reply to blow-off answers, but then again, I guess they would just skip those kinds of threads probably, huh?   ;D

A blow-off answer.  So that's what you call it.  I'll add it to my lexicon.  Having a librarian around is handy...  ;D

It's the times I'm logged-in, that's all.  Depending on the shift I work, I'm logged-in late at night/early in the morning and these are the threads that get the best workout, many times the only threads that do...

Replies are optional.

I know.  So you don't really expect replies.  It's post-and-go..?

Written By: karen on 01/25/08 at 7:48 am

Sometimes I am kind of disappointed that I don't get a reply.  For example if I posted something exotic in the 'last thing you ate or drank' thread I might expect someone to comment on it.

On any of the song threads I might comment on a particular song someone mentioned, say, if it was a particular favourite of mine or I had been singing it recently.  But I don't think people are looking for comments in those threads.

Written By: Davester on 01/25/08 at 8:35 am

Sometimes I am kind of disappointed that I don't get a reply.  For example if I posted something exotic in the 'last thing you ate or drank' thread I might expect someone to comment on it.

On any of the song threads I might comment on a particular song someone mentioned, say, if it was a particular favourite of mine or I had been singing it recently.  But I don't think people are looking for comments in those threads.

That's what I thought.  Case in point, a "This Day In History" thread and I replied to a post which included a well known and controvercial political figure in history.  In attempting to discuss this figure I was discreetly notified that I was taking the thread off topic, or bringing in politics or somesuch.  But I, but you, but we, but...

The threads with the least interaction among members (ie. no discourse) are among the longest and most on-topic threads there are...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/25/08 at 10:31 am

Sometimes I am disappointed if someone doesn't comment on certain things but then I realize that I don't always comment on everyone's posts-when I should.  :-[  As for the mundane things (What was the last thing your ate, What was the last song, etc), I don't always comment unless there is something I can add other than, "Oh, that's nice" or "Good for you".

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/25/08 at 10:38 am

I feel the same as you, karen... :-\\

Comments are always welcome...

I always enjoy hearing what people think of the songs I listen to... :)

Check for new replies or respond here...