inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pleasurable Music To My Ears (The Concert Last Night)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/26/08 at 8:04 am

The concert attended by my son and I last night.

Orchestra: London Philharmonic Orchestra

Conductor: Adam Fischer

Soloist: Shlomo Mintz

Beethoven: Leonore Overture 3
Beethoven took five attempts at writing an overture for what would be his only opera. Due to war situation in 1805, Leonora was panned by the critics and the public and was only performed five times. The opera was not heard again until 1814, when Beethoven completely rewrote the work and renaming it Fidelio to avoid confusion.

This piece is typical for the sound of Beethoven but the melodies within seemed to be going nowhere. This overture does contain the sound of a trumpet played offstage.

I enjoyed it, but my son said that he would not wish to hear that again. 

Bartok: Violin Concerto No. 2

Written a few years before the Second World War, the concerto was a cross between romantic and what I call “crash bang wallop”. The six variations of an original theme in the second movement were a challenge for the soloist. As I had not heard this before, I found it a bit tiresome, wishing it to quickly end.

…following an interval

Dvorak: Symphony No. 9 in E minor (“From the New World”)

What can be said before this symphony? Personally it is my favourite non-Beethoven symphony. Its portrayal of homesickness of the Czech composer in New York pining for his home land, with a mixture of themes and melodies, based on American music of the time and Czech dance music. The American music was based on the feeling of Negro-Spirituals and American Indian music. Disguised in the symphony is “Swing Low Sweet Chariot”.

The wonderful Largo of a sad tune played on the Cor Anglais, overwhelmed the concert hall. This music Dvorak has wished to use this melody for a possible Hiawatha opera which never was written.

The last two movements followed with pace and finished leaving the feeling of more. We heard extracts again when we arrived home, and woke up with the sound of themes in our heads.

No pictures were taken.

Subject: Re: Pleasurable Music To My Ears

Written By: danootaandme on 01/26/08 at 8:19 am

Dvorak: Symphony No. 9 in E minor (“From the New World”)

This one always brings tears to my eyes.  This and Danny Boy are my Achilles heel.

Subject: Re: Pleasurable Music To My Ears (The Concert Last Night)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/26/08 at 8:20 am

This one always brings tears to my eyes.  This and Danny Boy are my Achilles heel.
The "Goin' Home" theme always get to my heart.

Written By: adagio on 01/26/08 at 8:30 am

What a nice evening you had...I'd be interested in getting that Dvorak.  I might have to order it online...getting classical music around here is hard...most is country.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/26/08 at 8:33 am

What a nice evening you had...I'd be interested in getting that Dvorak.  I might have to order it online...getting classical music around here is hard...most is country.
This symphony is a most in every CD collection, and guess what it was not in mine till yesterday afternoon.

Written By: adagio on 01/26/08 at 8:39 am

My collection seems to be a scattering of just about everything,,,CD's from choir, rock music for listening and writing parodies too and a lot of classical I bought on my own.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/26/08 at 11:14 am

This is the last of our arranged concerts until late April 2008, but there is a chance of impromptu concerts being booked.

Written By: adagio on 01/26/08 at 12:23 pm

This might seem off topic, but not really.  Have you ever heard the Moody Blues?  I am sure that it's the London Philharmonic that plays while they sing...they don't sing anything not in keeping with the orchestra.

Written By: adagio on 01/26/08 at 12:27 pm

Just looked...they do.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/26/08 at 12:32 pm

This might seem off topic, but not really.  Have you ever heard the Moody Blues?  I am sure that it's the London Philharmonic that plays while they sing...they don't sing anything not in keeping with the orchestra.
I was brought up on the Moody Blues, my elder sister had all the albums.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/26/08 at 12:34 pm

The LPO does have an affilliated choir, the London Philharmonic Choir, and I heard (and saw) them in Beethoven's 9th last December.

Written By: adagio on 01/26/08 at 12:40 pm

It's not the choir that sings with them...they sing while the LPO plays.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/26/08 at 12:44 pm

It's not the choir that sings with them...they sing while the LPO plays.
The next concert to feature the LPC is in February with the Hong Kong Philharmonic Orchestra, in Hong Kong.

Written By: adagio on 01/26/08 at 12:49 pm

oh...

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/26/08 at 1:01 pm

oh...
That will be one concert I will not be going to.

Written By: adagio on 01/26/08 at 1:03 pm

Understandable.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/26/08 at 2:55 pm

There is a possible Beethoven concert in the first week of Febraury.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/26/08 at 3:01 pm

You are so lucky to have gone to such a concert.  To be in such a great hall too.  Did you get good seating?  Not too close and not too far?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/26/08 at 3:11 pm

You are so lucky to have gone to such a concert.  To be in such a great hall too.  Did you get good seating?  Not too close and not too far?
We always try and sit in the usual seats (the cheap ones) but last night we were sitting on the other side of the hall.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/26/08 at 3:13 pm

Philip, the concert sounds wonderful and I need to get some of this music on CD. any recommendations?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/26/08 at 3:15 pm

This picture was taken at the Beethoven 9th Concert last December and it shows how close were to the orchestra.

Also, the picture shows the London Philharmonic Choir all dress in formally in black.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/26/08 at 3:15 pm

excellent pic and fantastic seats

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/26/08 at 3:16 pm

We always try and sit in the usual seats (the cheap ones) but last night we were sitting on the other side of the hall.

I suppose tickets are expensive.  With modern sound set ups I guess if wouldn't matter where you sat.  Close enough for pictures.  Wow!!!

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/26/08 at 3:18 pm

Philip, the concert sounds wonderful and I need to get some of this music on CD. any recommendations?
If you wish to make a start, try out the symphony I heard last night, Dvorak's Symphony No. 9 in E minor (“From the New World”)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/26/08 at 3:20 pm

If you wish to make a start, try out the symphony I heard last night, Dvorak's Symphony No. 9 in E minor (“From the New World”)
by the London Philharmonic?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/26/08 at 3:20 pm

I suppose tickets are expensive.  With modern sound set ups I guess if wouldn't matter where you sat.  Close enough for pictures.  Wow!!!
The tickets for where we were last night (and the Beethoven) costed £9.00 (how many $ to the £ ?). These seats do have a restricted view, but half of the orchestra can still be seen.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/26/08 at 3:21 pm

by the London Philharmonic?
If you can find a CD? I cannot recommend the best orchestra.

Check for new replies or respond here...