inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Panic attacks/anxiety

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/28/08 at 8:25 am

Have any of you ever suffered from panic attacks or severe anxiety? What did you do to remedy the situation? If you opted for meds, which ones did/do you feel helped you the most?

Subject: Re: Panic attacks/anxiety

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/28/08 at 10:22 am

Oh yeah, every time I fly. I recognize the fact that it is only anxiety. I try to take deep breaths, listen to music and Carlos is so nice to hold my hand. Also, a few drinks doesn't hurt either.  ;)  I also have the same thing when I have to have a needle (whether it be to get a shot or if they have to take blood). Again, I take deep breaths and it does help that Carlos holds my hand.  ;D ;D ;D 

I am aware that these two situations causes my attacks so I try to counter them.

I have come to the conclusion that I could never give blood. I tried one time and I started hyperventilating, my heart was pounding, and I started crying-and they didn't even get the needle into me.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/28/08 at 10:27 am

Oh yeah, every time I fly. I recognize the fact that it is only anxiety. I try to take deep breaths, listen to music and Carlos is so nice to hold my hand. Also, a few drinks doesn't hurt either.  ;)  I also have the same thing when I have to have a needle (whether it be to get a shot or if they have to take blood). Again, I take deep breaths and it does help that Carlos holds my hand.  ;D ;D ;D 

I am aware that these two situations causes my attacks so I try to counter them.

I have come to the conclusion that I could never give blood. I tried one time and I started hyperventilating, my heart was pounding, and I started crying-and they didn't even get the needle into me.

Cat

have you ever, on a daily basis....from being overwhelmed by life's situations...end up in a panic attack?

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 01/28/08 at 10:27 am

I have anxiety attacks in very high-stress situations.

I opt for drinking teas that are specifically for calming down.
Soothing music tends to help out.

I try to stay away from medications, because the Mood stabilizer I'm on is supposed to keep me on an even keel.

However, natural herbs do tend to help- and I don't mean "Mary Jane".
Things like mint, valerian, Kava kava....that kinda stuff.

Written By: Gis on 01/28/08 at 11:12 am

I used to get them very badly back in my late teens early twenties. I went down the route of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) because I didn't want to take anti-depressants. It worked really well for me.

Here is a link that will give you an idea of what it involves.

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinformation/therapies/cognitivebehaviouraltherapy.aspx

Check for new replies or respond here...