inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dinner with the family?

Written By: loki 13 on 01/31/08 at 4:29 pm

I sat down to dinner tonight, just like any other night with the family but tonight The Boy had two friends
stay for dinner. It was spaghetti, meatballs and sausage tonight so we had plenty to offer The Boy's friends.
I overheard one of his friends ask him, "You have a dinner made every night?" I was perplexed by this question,
call it naivete but doesn't anyone eat as a family anymore. Both these kids say they hardly ever eat dinner as a
family.

I've been married for 26 years and my wife made sure there was a dinner on the table almost every night of those
26 years. Anyone else still eat dinner as a family or is it a hit and run on the refrigerator?

Subject: Re: Dinner with the family?

Written By: Jessica on 01/31/08 at 4:39 pm

We do. I usually make dinner every night, unless I'm feeling ill or we get take out (a rarity right now). Same with my folks, except my dad usually cooks dinner because he's the better cook. ;D

I think that people just overload their lives with stuff and need to chill out and eat with the family.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/31/08 at 6:18 pm

Carlos makes dinner every night. With just the two of us, we usually eat in the living room in front of the tube. When his youngest comes, the 3 of us will eat in the living room. Any more-then it is at the dinning room table. Once in a great while, we will have a "fend for yourself" night (or as Carlos calls it "Go for yourself") but that is usually when we have had a big lunch or something like that.

I read this thread to Carlos and he just thought it was so sad-and I agree.

Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 01/31/08 at 7:04 pm

Carlos makes dinner every night. With just the two of us, we usually eat in the living room in front of the tube. When his youngest comes, the 3 of us will eat in the living room. Any more-then it is at the dinning room table. Once in a great while, we will have a "fend for yourself" night (or as Carlos calls it "Go for yourself") but that is usually when we have had a big lunch or something like that.

I read this thread to Carlos and he just thought it was so sad-and I agree.

Cat

Your right Cat, it is sad. The Boy told me that none of his friends Have a sit down dinner. I think dinner is the perfect time
for a family to bond, so to speak. A chance to talk and find out what going on in each others lives. Call me old fashioned
but I wouldn't have it any other way. As Jessica pointed out, it seems that so many people have so many things going on
in their lives that they have no time for each other.

Written By: Midas on 01/31/08 at 7:16 pm

Your right Cat, it is sad. The Boy told me that none of his friends Have a sit down dinner. I think dinner is the perfect time
for a family to bond, so to speak. A chance to talk and find out what going on in each others lives. Call me old fashioned
but I wouldn't have it any other way. As Jessica pointed out, it seems that so many people have so many things going on
in their lives that they have no time for each other.

I agree with you.  When it's just me or my girlfriend and me, we usually sit in front of the TV during dinner.  Sometimes we'll sit at the table.  My sister has a tribe of kids (6) and they usually eat dinner together.  When I'm over there we all sit down at the table for a meal.  It's nice to have that together time.

Now to get my parents to move back here so I can have Sunday dinners at their house :D  At the table, of course. ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/31/08 at 10:37 pm

Growing up, it was also a very important thing for our family to eat together. We almost always sat down at the table together for dinner. Even when my mom started working, she still made sure that something was ready for us to eat, and if she wasn't there..we would sit down and eat dinner with our dad.

Nowadays, I still try to do the whole family dinner thing. I feel that it is important to sit down and be able to relax and eat, talk, and spend quality time together.

Written By: karen on 01/31/08 at 10:37 pm

We always sit down together and eat our evening meal.  At the weekends we generally eat all our meals together.

It is our chance to talk about what has happened during the day, discuss what's on our mind, anything really.

Also our children still need reminding of their table manners, cutlery usage etc. and this is easier to do when sat at the dining table.

Written By: ninny on 01/31/08 at 11:44 pm

My husband and I eat dinner together and depending what I fix my daughter will take her plate to the computer or the living room.My son does the same thing on the weekends when he's home from college. Usually at least once or twice a weekend we will bring home takeout or order a pizza. Other than Thanksgiving & Christmas dinners at my father's the last time we all sat down to dinner was 2 years ago, it's not that we didn't want to but between my husband's job and my son being involved in band & school we just never ate together.

Written By: Gis on 02/01/08 at 1:19 am

It's pretty bad here in the U.K too. Noone seems to eat at the table as a family anymore. We always used to as kids and we were NEVER, ever allowed to eat in front of the T.V. Now I cook almost every night but Himself has got me in the habit of eating in front of the box instead of at the table. When I visit my parents we still eat around the kitchen table.

Written By: whistledog on 02/01/08 at 1:59 am

Whenever I go to my relatives house, it's dinner at the table.  In my own home, we eat infront of the TV whenever.  I can't even remember the last time I set the table.  I can't even remember the last time I used the table ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/01/08 at 2:40 am

I sat down to dinner tonight, just like any other night with the family but tonight The Boy had two friends
stay for dinner. It was spaghetti, meatballs and sausage tonight so we had plenty to offer The Boy's friends.
I overheard one of his friends ask him, "You have a dinner made every night?" I was perplexed by this question,
call it naivete but doesn't anyone eat as a family anymore. Both these kids say they hardly ever eat dinner as a
family.

I've been married for 26 years and my wife made sure there was a dinner on the table almost every night of those
26 years. Anyone else still eat dinner as a family or is it a hit and run on the refrigerator?
you are blessed to have that family time regularly at the dinner table Kevin.  before Julie went off to college, we rarely ate together as i get home too late from work, so my wife & daughter have already eaten & i usually just fend for myself. Diane & I both take turns and share in cooking. Before Julie left, we did make it a point to have dinner together on Sat or Sunday night and that was nice.

Written By: ladybug316 on 02/01/08 at 8:01 am

My husband, 5 year old and I eat dinner every night at the table together, even if it is a bit late (around 7:30).  I usually cook a meal and rarely ever get take-out.  Wendy's is a treat for my daughter as it's the only fast food we eat (and even then, she eats the nuggets, a side salad, some baked potato and fries).  She bugs us almost every night to eat Wendy's and has asked me indignantly "Why do you have to cook EVERY night?"  ;D 

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/01/08 at 9:28 am

Growing up, it was almost always dinner in front of the TV.  My wife however wanted nothing to do with that bad behavior when we got married, made me get a proper kitchen table and we sit there for all the meals.  It took me awhile to get used to it, but it's better. 

As for making dinner, well, take out is maybe a two or three times a week thing right now, since Neal has days when he can be stressing to a point where he leaves Susan no free time to make one.  It's never fast food though, usually something from a family restaurant type of place like Pub 99 or Applebees (which can be worse than fast food due to the portion sizes) or grinders/pizza. 

Susan won't let me tell Neal that Ronald McDonald is an evil clown that fattens kids up so he can eat them later.  Personally I think it'll be easier than listening to him ask for it when TV pushes that message on him.

Written By: Jessica on 02/01/08 at 9:31 am

Susan won't let me tell Neal that Ronald McDonald is an evil clown that fattens kids up so he can eat them later.  Personally I think it'll be easier than listening to him ask for it when TV pushes that message on him.

I think as long as you don't bring it up or take him there, it just sort of passes by. We don't set foot near McDonalds, and rarely go to BK or A&W, and Jason doesn't even care, not even when he sees commercials for it.

Written By: KKay on 02/01/08 at 9:32 am

I make dinner a lot. Now I get home really late from work and I don't do it as often. 

I like cooking, but i don't miss cleaning up.

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/01/08 at 11:10 am

I think as long as you don't bring it up or take him there, it just sort of passes by. We don't set foot near McDonalds, and rarely go to BK or A&W, and Jason doesn't even care, not even when he sees commercials for it.

it's the whole Happy Meals toys tie-ins that concern me.  Then again, the toys are usually so lame I doubt it could be enough of a reason to make him want to go for just a piece of cheap plastic.

Written By: karen on 02/01/08 at 1:10 pm

it's the whole Happy Meals toys tie-ins that concern me.  Then again, the toys are usually so lame I doubt it could be enough of a reason to make him want to go for just a piece of cheap plastic.

Don't you believe it.  The adverts make the toys look wonderful and exciting. 

Written By: Howard on 02/01/08 at 3:44 pm

Once in a while,I have dinner with my Family but not all the time only between Monday and wednesday.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/02/08 at 4:14 am

We grew up never eating at a table together.  In fact, rarely were we even in the same room together. 

Now, the only time we ever eat around a table is if we eat out.  Hubby spends 90% of his time at his computer, so I just bring his food into him there.  Sometimes I wish we had more traditional family type things, but I don't like to rock the boat too much for fear of falling overboard.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 02/02/08 at 3:40 pm

I grew up eating dinner with the family,now that I'm working I rarely have the time.

Written By: jaytee on 02/02/08 at 6:41 pm

I cook dinner almost every night and we all sit at the dining room table to eat it.  We have news - everyone has to tell one interesting thing that happened during the day.  It's a treat when I tell the kids they can sit wherever.

Written By: thereshegoes on 02/03/08 at 9:52 am

No we never would eat at the same time,only at family get togethers or birthdays,my parents were too busy and my siblings were out doing their thing.

That's one of the things i really want to do if i ever start a family of my own,make sure that we all have at least one family meal a day.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/03/08 at 2:08 pm

With the comings and the goings of a modern family, we always try to sit down for a meal every Sunday, but you know the younger generation, they are hardly at home.

Written By: Howard on 02/04/08 at 7:40 am

With the comings and the goings of a modern family, we always try to sit down for a meal every Sunday, but you know the younger generation, they are hardly at home.

perhaps they have jobs?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/04/08 at 7:56 am

perhaps they have jobs?
That certainly is a stong reason why.

Written By: Gis on 02/04/08 at 7:58 am

Never under estimate the attraction of shiney cheap plastic! 

Written By: Howard on 02/04/08 at 8:02 am

That certainly is a stong reason why.

Even I rarely eat dinner with my family cause I work late too.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/04/08 at 1:27 pm

Never under estimate the attraction of shiney cheap plastic! 
It is easier and quicker to cook...

...gives you more time to be online.

Written By: loki 13 on 02/04/08 at 4:59 pm

I think The Boy's friends found a good thing, today was roast chicken with stuffing, rice, corn and
green beans. Sure enough, when The Boy came home from work his friends happen to be waiting for
him. My wife is the type of person who believes if your in the house, your eating.

I understand how hard it may be to eat as a family, a two income household makes it tough but these
kids crave family time, even if it isn't their family.  ;D

Written By: Jessica on 02/04/08 at 5:09 pm

I think The Boy's friends found a good thing, today was roast chicken with stuffing, rice, corn and
green beans. Sure enough, when The Boy came home from work his friends happen to be waiting for
him. My wife is the type of person who believes if your in the house, your eating.

I understand how hard it may be to eat as a family, a two income household makes it tough but these
kids crave family time, even if it isn't their family.  ;D

You guys sound like my family. Whenever my sister or I had friends over, my dad would stuff them full of food. Most of our friends were considered other "daughters" or "sons" and called my parents "Mom" and "Dad". Same goes with my dad's side of the family. All of his brothers and sisters can cook, and the ones that had children usually wound up feeding an army. ;D My grandmother is still like that as well, even though she's almost 80 and rarely cooks anymore. She usually just offers you what she has and yells at you if you don't take it. I love my grandma. :D

Written By: chicago girl on 02/09/08 at 11:33 pm

Hi. It's my first post ANYWHERE....although i read posts, hungrily, no pun intended, given the subject at hand!    I am 44, (where DID the time go?) and I am a throwback to the 50's and 60's. . . . an old fashioned housewife and mommy.  Yeah yeah yeah, i know all the crap people say about this. . . . and I am not lying here. I love being 'my own boss' and if I choose, I'll skip toilet scrubbing duty and go get my nails done!  BUT, one thing I do, each and every day, is cook a meal from scratch. DISCLAIMER. . . . one night a week, we WILL have leftovers. Free choice. But, they are leftovers from 'scratch ' items I have made. Each night we DO sit down at the table, to a family dinner. It might be as simple as hamburgers, homemade french fries, tossed salad and wine (for the grownups)  with homemade cream cheese brownies for dessert. . . or it could be a baked ham, marinated veal roast, roast beef, steak, ALWAYS fresh vegetables, ALWAYS homemade roasted potatoes, mashed potatoes, rice, brown rice, fried rice, SOME type of '''starch' gotta get my carb fix in . here in canada there IS no everlovin sun. . . .)  or else, salmon, or some other seafood.  Hell, I even love pasta dishes. but only with homemade sauces. 
I feel incredibly lucky that I can choose to not work, outside the home, and I do love cooking dinner each night for my family (husband is a pilot. but there is usually a child at home. . . ages range from 10 to 25 (that one DOES have her own apartment) and the total is 6 kids . . . . .

the most important thing is that we do sit down at the table, and eat together each night. even if it IS leftover night.  that is our family time. and we do NOT have to 'enforce' it. . . . all the kids WANT to show up here, ''''at table'''. . . . .  we talk. we laugh. we connect. we are NOT a perfect family, not in ANY way.  but we COMMUNICATE and we spend time together, at the family table. it is the highlight of the day, for EACH ONE OF US.
i am SO interested, in all of your replies and comments.  it is an interesting topic, and one thing is for sure. . . . . ALL FAMILIES ARE DIFFERENT.  we all do things our own way - and we can learn from each other.  this just happens to be something i love to do (cook) and something i feel fortunate in, that i can stay home with my kids. though i have many friends who raise their kids,  , ,,  but they maintain careers outside the home as well.    this world is a wonderful place - it is refreshing, to share these varied opinions. . . . . by the way - thanks for allowing me into your 'space'. . . .
chicago girl - now in canada. . . .   

Written By: karen on 02/09/08 at 11:36 pm

Just one question.  When can I come for dinner?  ;D

Written By: chicago girl on 02/09/08 at 11:45 pm

:)  so cute . . . . you can come for dinner, anytime. . . . !    i will make sure to set an extra place. . . . . .

Written By: Jessica on 02/10/08 at 9:55 am

Hi. It's my first post ANYWHERE....although i read posts, hungrily, no pun intended, given the subject at hand!    I am 44, (where DID the time go?) and I am a throwback to the 50's and 60's. . . . an old fashioned housewife and mommy.   Yeah yeah yeah, i know all the crap people say about this. . . . and I am not lying here. I love being 'my own boss' and if I choose, I'll skip toilet scrubbing duty and go get my nails done!  BUT, one thing I do, each and every day, is cook a meal from scratch. DISCLAIMER. . . . one night a week, we WILL have leftovers. Free choice. But, they are leftovers from 'scratch ' items I have made. Each night we DO sit down at the table, to a family dinner. It might be as simple as hamburgers, homemade french fries, tossed salad and wine (for the grownups)  with homemade cream cheese brownies for dessert. . . or it could be a baked ham, marinated veal roast, roast beef, steak, ALWAYS fresh vegetables, ALWAYS homemade roasted potatoes, mashed potatoes, rice, brown rice, fried rice, SOME type of '''starch' gotta get my carb fix in . here in canada there IS no everlovin sun. . . .)  or else, salmon, or some other seafood.  Hell, I even love pasta dishes. but only with homemade sauces.   
I feel incredibly lucky that I can choose to not work, outside the home, and I do love cooking dinner each night for my family (husband is a pilot. but there is usually a child at home. . . ages range from 10 to 25 (that one DOES have her own apartment) and the total is 6 kids . . . . .

the most important thing is that we do sit down at the table, and eat together each night. even if it IS leftover night.  that is our family time. and we do NOT have to 'enforce' it. . . . all the kids WANT to show up here, ''''at table'''. . . . .   we talk. we laugh. we connect. we are NOT a perfect family, not in ANY way.  but we COMMUNICATE and we spend time together, at the family table. it is the highlight of the day, for EACH ONE OF US.
i am SO interested, in all of your replies and comments.  it is an interesting topic, and one thing is for sure. . . . . ALL FAMILIES ARE DIFFERENT.  we all do things our own way - and we can learn from each other.   this just happens to be something i love to do (cook) and something i feel fortunate in, that i can stay home with my kids. though i have many friends who raise their kids,  , ,,  but they maintain careers outside the home as well.    this world is a wonderful place - it is refreshing, to share these varied opinions. . . . . by the way - thanks for allowing me into your 'space'. . . .

Welcome to the boards and man! You cook more than I do! ;D I was going to ask where you live in Chicago (I live in Hyde Park, but I'm originally from California), but I see that you have moved. Bummer.

Written By: loki 13 on 02/10/08 at 10:22 am

an old fashioned housewife and mommy. 

First off, Welcome to the boards.  ;D

My wife hears this often from The Boys friends but I don't see it as old fashioned at all. I think Family time is
important to development of the family and dinner just seems to be the best time to gather. Have you
noticed that commercials are starting to see the value of a family dinner. Whether it is KFC, Boston Market
or the package stir fry from the Supermarket, meals in ten minutes, they show the family around the table
having actual conversations. I feel for The Boys friends because they miss out on the quality time, I think that
is why we have then so often.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/10/08 at 12:16 pm

Hi. It's my first post ANYWHERE....although i read posts, hungrily, no pun intended, given the subject at hand!    I am 44, (where DID the time go?) and I am a throwback to the 50's and 60's. . . . an old fashioned housewife and mommy.  Yeah yeah yeah, i know all the crap people say about this. . . . and I am not lying here. I love being 'my own boss' and if I choose, I'll skip toilet scrubbing duty and go get my nails done!  BUT, one thing I do, each and every day, is cook a meal from scratch. DISCLAIMER. . . . one night a week, we WILL have leftovers. Free choice. But, they are leftovers from 'scratch ' items I have made. Each night we DO sit down at the table, to a family dinner. It might be as simple as hamburgers, homemade french fries, tossed salad and wine (for the grownups)  with homemade cream cheese brownies for dessert. . . or it could be a baked ham, marinated veal roast, roast beef, steak, ALWAYS fresh vegetables, ALWAYS homemade roasted potatoes, mashed potatoes, rice, brown rice, fried rice, SOME type of '''starch' gotta get my carb fix in . here in canada there IS no everlovin sun. . . .)  or else, salmon, or some other seafood.  Hell, I even love pasta dishes. but only with homemade sauces. 

the most important thing is that we do sit down at the table, and eat together each night. even if it IS leftover night.  that is our family time. and we do NOT have to 'enforce' it. . . . all the kids WANT to show up here, ''''at table'''. . . . .  we talk. we laugh. we connect. we are NOT a perfect family, not in ANY way.  but we COMMUNICATE and we spend time together, at the family table. it is the highlight of the day, for EACH ONE OF US.
i am SO interested, in all of your replies and comments.  it is an interesting topic, and one thing is for sure. . . . . ALL FAMILIES ARE DIFFERENT.  we all do things our own way - and we can learn from each other.  this just happens to be something i love to do (cook) and something i feel fortunate in, that i can stay home with my kids. though i have many friends who raise their kids,  , ,,  but they maintain careers outside the home as well.    this world is a wonderful place - it is refreshing, to share these varied opinions. . . . . by the way - thanks for allowing me into your 'space'. . . .

First of all, welcome to the Insane Asylum   message board.

I, too chose not to work outside the home. But, I am luckier than you are-I have a "chef" who cooks for me-and all the food he makes is from scratch, too.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/10/08 at 1:02 pm

:)   so cute . . . . you can come for dinner, anytime. . . . !    i will make sure to set an extra place. . . . . .
How many can your dining room hold?

Written By: karen on 02/10/08 at 8:57 pm

How many can your dining room hold?

Hey, I got in there first!  And I'm nearerer

Forgot to say welcome to the boards chicago girl

Written By: Howard on 02/11/08 at 7:05 am

:)   so cute . . . . you can come for dinner, anytime. . . . !    i will make sure to set an extra place. . . . . .

make me one too.

Written By: Stompgal on 02/27/08 at 3:58 am

I don't live with my parents anymore and the only times I ever eat with them are when I visit them at their house or if they come down to London and visit me. Two weeks ago, I saw my mum and my grandad. My grandad drove my mum and me to Brent Cross Shopping Centre and at lunchtime I sat down with my mum eating Marks and Spencer food.

Sometimes my grandad takes me out. If we go to a car boot sale on a Saturday morning and I relax at his house, he usually takes me out for lunch to a restaurant like JD Wetherspoon's.

I sit down with the whole family for special dinners such as Christmas and I'm actually going to visit them over Easter.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/27/08 at 5:47 am

Whenever we have an occasion for a meal out, we try and make a meal of it and invite several members of the family or close friends. Meals like this helps to counterbalance the non-family meals at home.

Written By: Howard on 02/27/08 at 6:52 am

I still live with my parents and once in a while we eat together as family but the other days,I work so I don't.

Check for new replies or respond here...