inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: that just doesn't make sense

Written By: snozberries on 02/02/08 at 10:55 pm

So I was watching Gremlins earlier today...for the umpteenth time... and just realized something.

The Gremlins who were out in the snow were not multiplying.... snow is wet right?

That just doesn't make sense...

Subject: Re: that just doesn't make sense

Written By: Dude111 on 02/02/08 at 11:05 pm

Yes but its not really WATER until it starts to melt...

Written By: Red Ant on 02/03/08 at 12:22 am

From Wiki:

"The performances were shot on the backlot of Universal Studios in California. This required fake snow..."

;)

Snow can be wet or dry. If Mogwai were real, they'd never exist in VA - the humidity is too darned high!

Ant

Written By: Tam on 02/03/08 at 12:27 am

^ ok, but for the sake of us movie nuts.... the snow would ultimately melt once it touched their fur, thus forcing them to multiply!

It definitely doesn't make sense! 8) ;D

Written By: Red Ant on 02/03/08 at 12:30 am

^ ok, but for the sake of us movie nuts.... the snow would ultimately melt once it touched their fur, thus forcing them to multiply!

It definitely doesn't make sense! 8) ;D

True, but "don't feed them after midnight" is even worse. Technically, all times are after midnight.

I think I mixed up my 'Mogwai Don'ts' in the above post - watering them causing multiplication, feeding them after midnight causes Gremlins, right?

Ant

Written By: Tam on 02/03/08 at 12:33 am

True, but "don't feed them after midnight" is even worse. Technically, all times are after midnight.

I think I mixed up my 'Mogwai Don'ts' in the above post - watering them causing multiplication, feeding them after midnight causes Gremlins, right?

Ant

Right you are Sir!

I am sure we could debate this all evening! LOL ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/03/08 at 12:37 am

You're right, It just doesn't make sense, but now how can I enjoy this movie when I see them on snow and think about the melted snow turning to water and them not turning evil.     

it's ruined now  :\'(

Written By: Tam on 02/03/08 at 12:43 am

You're right, It just doesn't make sense, but now how can I enjoy this movie when I see them on snow and think about the melted snow turning to water and them not turning evil.     

Sorry Mike - how 'bout I send my < mad kitty and fix 'em ALL!!!!!!?? ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/03/08 at 12:46 am

Sorry Mike - how 'bout I send my < mad kitty and fix 'em ALL!!!!!!?? ;D
thanks Tam, I think that will help a little  :(

Written By: snozberries on 02/03/08 at 2:38 am

sorry Mike I didn't expect this to turn into a Gremlins theoritical debate... although I am quite pleased that it has... I had never thought about the after midnight theory before...

Really I just figured you guys, knowledgeable as you all are would find inconsistencies in other films and bring them to the forefront also.

and Tam is right... has anyone successfully come home dry after being in the snow?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/03/08 at 4:31 am

I guess corhoberating with the After Midnight theory, which time zone midnight?  Since they come from Chinatown, would it have been Midnight in China?
and why Midnight?  Does he have bad digestion, will he have nightmares and tummy aches if eating before sleeping?

I kinda went philosophical when thinking about the movie, that even nice cuddley cute mogwai have an inner evil gremlin in them, so does that mean that even the nicest person has an inner evil that must be controlled?

If food turned them evil, does that mean maybe they have food allergies?

Written By: Howard on 02/03/08 at 6:23 am

Don't feed them after midnight.

Written By: whistledog on 02/03/08 at 10:58 am

You know what else doesn't make sense? At the end of the Back to the Future trilogy, all things go back to normal, but you'd think that knowing full well all of the events that will happen, 1955 Doc still goes ahead and invents the time machine

Written By: Tia on 02/03/08 at 11:09 am

for the past few days i've been watching people argue back and forth about why the space shuttle blows up in "armageddon" when there is no oxygen in space to create flames with. one guy is saying it doesn't make sense and the other is saying that there's oxygen in the space shuttle. but the first guy is saying there isn't enough. it's quite a scandal.

...and if you're not supposed to feed gremlins after midnight, when does it become okay to feed them again? it seems like you'd have to say you can't feed them between midnight and, say, 6 am. and add eastern standard time. but then the movie would be like four hours long and full of really long lines of dialog packed with qualifications, clarifications and disclaimers.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/03/08 at 11:17 am

...and if you're not supposed to feed gremlins after midnight, when does it become okay to feed them again? it seems like you'd have to say you can't feed them between midnight and, say, 6 am. and add eastern standard time. but then the movie would be like four hours long and full of really long lines of dialog packed with qualifications, clarifications and disclaimers.
After the little ones have slept?

Written By: KKay on 02/03/08 at 11:36 am

next time they should use real gremlins.
that'sll teach them.

Written By: Tia on 02/03/08 at 11:37 am

that'sll teach them.
or at least have one or two on hand as technical consultants.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/03/08 at 11:49 am

After the little ones have slept?

But don't babies have 2 a.m. feedings?  ???

Written By: Tam on 02/03/08 at 12:30 pm

You know what else doesn't make sense?

Have you seen The Game Plan?

At the end, Kingmen isn't playing football because he separated his left shoulder, yet when he holds his daughter up and says he is taking her home - she is being held by his LEFT arm!!!

Written By: snozberries on 02/04/08 at 11:43 am

I guess corhoberating with the After Midnight theory, which time zone midnight?  Since they come from Chinatown, would it have been Midnight in China?
and why Midnight?  Does he have bad digestion, will he have nightmares and tummy aches if eating before sleeping?

I kinda went philosophical when thinking about the movie, that even nice cuddley cute mogwai have an inner evil gremlin in them, so does that mean that even the nicest person has an inner evil that must be controlled?

If food turned them evil, does that mean maybe they have food allergies?

nice analysis. . .  I think that we all walk a fine line. Everyone of us has the potential for evil but control for various reasons... for me the reason I have never murdered anyone (for example) is because I would never survive prison.  Not in general population way but more of a, I can't stand people telling what to do, sharing a room and communal showers way!  ;D

Anyway, I think those born without the filter are the ones who act on their impulses.  Stripe was born inherently evil. He was a sociopath however the other Mogwai/Gremlins really were just buying into the mob mentality of evil. They got caught up in the excitement of the night and paid for it. 

Also if you think about it the other Mogwai had no time to adapt. While Gizmo had spent time being nurtured- first by the old man and then (sort of) by Billy he wanted to stay good. The others acted out and turned into Gremlins rather quickly....the ones Stripe spawned were born Gremlins so there was little or no hope for him.  This lends itself to an excellent debate of nurture versus nature.

Written By: snozberries on 02/04/08 at 11:46 am

that'sll teach them.

kind of like the way they used real skeletons in Poltergeist?

If I were JoBeth Williams I'da been pissed when I learned of this...they would've had to  double my salary too!

Written By: snozberries on 02/04/08 at 11:48 am

You know what else doesn't make sense?

Have you seen The Game Plan?

At the end, Kingmen isn't playing football because he separated his left shoulder, yet when he holds his daughter up and says he is taking her home - she is being held by his LEFT arm!!!

Haven't seen Game Plan yet... I'll check that one out.

I just saw Next with Nick Cage, Julianne Moore and Jessica Biel.

In the flash forward...why does he see everything but her being kidnapped... I mean witnessing  the abduction in the first place would have changed everything before changing everythng...confused? so was I.

Check for new replies or respond here...