inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I'm Out Of the Business

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 02/10/08 at 5:33 am

Some of you may be surprised to learn this, considering my love of music.

As of today, due to certain problems within the structure of the band "Salsa Bella", I have decided to do the only thing I feel is right, within my heart...........

I am officially band-less.

I am happy to explain for those who are curi9ous, or actually give a damn.

Subject: Re: I'm Out Of the Business

Written By: Gis on 02/10/08 at 11:11 am

As of today, due to certain problems within the structure of the band "Salsa Bella", I have decided to do the only thing I feel is right, within my heart...........

Oh mate I'm sorry to hear that.  :( Will you join another band?

Written By: snozberries on 02/10/08 at 11:17 am

Or start your own new one?

I am sorry too that sucks!

Maybe you should hook up with our musically inclined members and start an online band...something like I saw in a phone commercial... then when we get our gathering set up in Vegas... I will win the lotto soon and I am stealing Mike's idea.... then you guys can perform for us.

Hope things work out for you!

Um  have you auditioned for Don't forget the Lyrics yet? Don't forget I either want to be one of your back ups...I don't know music but I know lyrics.... or I want to sit in the audience. You don't have to give me money just a large supply of MD!!!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/10/08 at 12:38 pm

I'm sorry to hear this. I would love to know why-I am curious and I do give a damn.

Cat

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 02/10/08 at 1:26 pm

It's very simple:

Where I come from, my word is my bond.
I worked my butt off to get us booked!

The 1st gig was supposed to have taken place this Friday.
But our keyboardist decided that "we weren't ready".
This gig was booked before we had our new drummer, so we were going to use the drum machine, and bring the drummer in on the 2nd gig.

When I first booked this, no objection was raised. In fact, Julio (keyboardist) said, "If you book us a gig, we will play it."
At first, he was the only hold-out. But he talked with everyone while I wasn't there, and managed to bamboozle them. No matter what my explanation about things were, they insisted that I pull this 1st gig.

I cannot stay in a band that is afraid of success. When you book a gig, good or bad- you make the gig!
They're OK with playing "free" gigs, or private parties, but they won't play actual gigs that pay, and get exposure?
Tell me- what is wrong with this picture?

So- long story short, I pulled all gigs I booked, have turned control of the website over to Niobel (bass player), and am arranging to get what equipment I brought into this.

I hope this explains things.

Written By: loki 13 on 02/10/08 at 1:32 pm

Sorry it didn't work out Wayne but I have to ask, Are you out of the business or just
out of this situation? The experience I've had with similar situations is that one person
says the band isn't ready, it's actually that person who isn't ready. I hate to see you
leave the business because of one bad situation.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/10/08 at 1:37 pm

It's very simple:

This gig was booked before we had our new drummer, so we were going to use the drum machine, and bring the drummer in on the 2nd gig.

When I first booked this, no objection was raised. In fact, Julio (keyboardist) said, "If you book us a gig, we will play it."
At first, he was the only hold-out. But he talked with everyone while I wasn't there, and managed to bamboozle them. No matter what my explanation about things were, they insisted that I pull this 1st gig.

I cannot stay in a band that is afraid of success. When you book a gig, good or bad- you make the gig!
They're OK with playing "free" gigs, or private parties, but they won't play actual gigs that pay, and get exposure?

So- long story short, I pulled all gigs I booked, have turned control of the website over to Niobel (bass player), and am arranging to get what equipment I brought into this.

That is really too bad. What I heard of you guys (off the website)-you sounded great. Maybe this could be a blessing in disguise.

Cat

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 02/10/08 at 1:47 pm

Well, Loki- You are correct, in the sense that I am out of the band.
I could NEVER leave the Music Business! It's too much in my blood.

I am hoping that if this move to Chico goes through, I will be able to find musicians who are more like-minded in goals and priorities.

Cat, thank you for the vote of confidence.
I am looking to put some sound clips on my MySpace page.
I did my own Demo, shortly before I joined Salsa Bella.
Hopefully, it will help to garner some attention.

Written By: snozberries on 02/10/08 at 2:44 pm

You're absolutely right. It is too bad tho. Like Cat I enjoyed the clips I heard the website... I have a bone to pick with tho... why aren't we myspace friends???

myspace.com/tq44

Rectify it mister!  sorry I just stole from Erin!  ;D

I hope you get the clips up I look forward to hearting (I meant hearing) but hearting is good too! 

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 02/10/08 at 6:57 pm

You're absolutely right. It is too bad tho. Like Cat I enjoyed the clips I heard the website... I have a bone to pick with tho... why aren't we myspace friends???

myspace.com/tq44

Rectify it mister!  sorry I just stole from Erin!  ;D
I hope you get the clips up I look forward to hearting (I meant hearing) but hearting is good too!   

A-huh. huh. huh........you said "Rectify".

Written By: coqueta83 on 02/10/08 at 8:39 pm

I'm awfully sorry to hear about this, Hawk.  :( I wish you much success in the future with another band.

Written By: adagio on 02/10/08 at 9:48 pm

Sorry it didn't work out Wayne but I have to ask, Are you out of the business or just
out of this situation? The experience I've had with similar situations is that one person
says the band isn't ready, it's actually that person who isn't ready. I hate to see you
leave the business because of one bad situation.

That very true, Wayne-Hawk.  Thanks loki. I love mudic too and belonged to a choir, but becauses if internal situations there, had to quit. 

Now, I joined another choir where it is a  pleasure to learn the songs and sing.  I could sing all day with them.

You have a myspace site?  So do I ...same name.
Were you able to visit loki's thread. or don't really feel like it?

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 02/11/08 at 2:05 am

You have a myspace site?  So do I ...same name.
Were you able to visit loki's thread. or don't really feel like it?

MySpace/midrockjuggernaut

As for the other- I'm not quite sure which thread you mean.
If you're asking if I responded to his query, please regad the previous posts. You'll see my response there.
:)

Written By: Howard on 02/11/08 at 6:51 am

I wish you all the best.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/11/08 at 8:04 am

Sorry to hear of all the problems, but , that is the music business.  Different personalities, egos, and goals make it very difficult.  The best you can do is just keep moving in the direction you want to go, and hopefully find other musicians headed in the same direction, at the same speed.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 02/11/08 at 11:29 am

Sorry to hear of all the problems, but , that is the music business.  Different personalities, egos, and goals make it very difficult.  The best you can do is just keep moving in the direction you want to go, and hopefully find other musicians headed in the same direction, at the same speed.

Exactly. I take this as God's way of telling me that I am just gonna have to do it myself.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/13/08 at 2:07 am

A-huh. huh. huh........you said "Rectify".
;D  at least you still have your sense of humor.  hopefully there is something down the road that will be better. Wait... I read somewhere that another opportunity has already arisen  ???  yeah, I know I read that. 

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 02/13/08 at 2:30 am

;D   at least you still have your sense of humor.  hopefully there is something down the road that will be better. Wait... I read somewhere that another opportunity has already arisen  ???  yeah, I know I read that.   

Actually, what you read was that the bass/conga player, Niobel, wants to introduce me around to other musicians in Chico, and get a mroe serious thing going.
He also wants me to double as Manager.

Niobel was impressed with my efforts at getting things organized/gigs booked/band's website created, wtc.
He and I have always seemed to be on the same page, when it comes to performing.
Plus- he's a good guy, a great musician, and all-around authentic Cuban.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/13/08 at 3:02 am

I'm real sorry to hear about this Wayne...but I am confident that better things will come your way. I have visited your ex-band's website in the past and heard your singing voice, you have lots of talent...it won't go by the wayside. :)

Written By: Howard on 02/13/08 at 7:18 am

I wish you all the best Wayne and good things will come your way. :)

Written By: adagio on 02/13/08 at 7:30 am

Wayne, do you still have that website?  If you do, may I have it?  I really look forward to hearing some of your latest on myspace too.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 02/13/08 at 10:53 am

Wayne, do you still have that website?  If you do, may I have it?  I really look forward to hearing some of your latest on myspace too.

www.freewebs.com/salsabella

Written By: adagio on 02/13/08 at 1:07 pm

Thanks Wayne!! ;)

Written By: Bobby on 02/17/08 at 4:02 pm

It's very simple:

That is interesting because my mate, Manuel, did the same thing for exactly the same reasons. He was in a band but the band wasn't ambitious, they were happy to do low-key gigs but weren't prepared to make the effort and get the success they deserved so he had to leave them and go solo to look for success - he's doing alright for himself. :)

Some people are scared to take their talents to the height they deserve yet some hacks take their lack of talent all the way because they aren't afraid to do so. A shame really.

Written By: adagio on 02/17/08 at 6:24 pm

Is that you singing?

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 02/17/08 at 10:21 pm

Is that you singing?

Yes, that is me. When we recorded those bits, I was just coming off of a throat cold.
Apologies.

Written By: Red Ant on 02/17/08 at 11:09 pm

Yes, that is me. When we recorded those bits, I was just coming off of a throat cold.
Apologies.

Apologies? Wayne, you've got a great voice, man (those 5 sample MP3s are you, right?  :o). I remember you telling me a while back you had a 'music van' come around. Were those songs recorded that way, or were they taken from studio or live performances?

And again, sorry to hear you had to leave the band. I wish you the best in your future bands.

Ant

Written By: adagio on 02/17/08 at 11:10 pm

Apologies.

Apologies?  You sounded good.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 02/18/08 at 2:58 am

Apologies? Wayne, you've got a great voice, man (those 5 sample MP3s are you, right?  :o). I remember you telling me a while back you had a 'music van' come around. Were those songs recorded that way, or were they taken from studio or live performances?

That was recorded in the keyboardist's apartment.
The Studio Tech operated a "Mobile Music Studio".
That is- the Tech brought the recording equipment, set it up in Julio's apartment, and we recorded there.
Quite handy, and rather affordable, too.

Apologies?  You sounded good.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.
I felt that I could've sounded better. I was recovering from a throat cold, as I explained.

Check for new replies or respond here...