inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hunting for Happiness

Written By: Tam on 02/11/08 at 12:31 pm

Happiness defined is:

Dictionary.com
1. the quality or state of being happy. 
2. good fortune; pleasure; contentment; joy. 

American Heritage Dictionary
1. Characterized by good luck; fortunate.
2. Enjoying, showing, or marked by pleasure, satisfaction, or joy.
3. Being especially well-adapted; felicitous: a happy turn of phrase.
4. Cheerful; willing: happy to help.

How do you define your happiness? And have you found your complete happiness?

In talking to many of my friends, they feel that they are happy, but I notice that a lot of their happiness is defined by their status or success. Do they have the power vehicle? Do they have the power job? Do they have tons of money in the bank? Do they wear the name brands that so-called celebrities wear? Like I said, all status symbols. They confuse their professional fulfillment with their personal fulfillment.

Happiness, to me, is knowing that I am healthy, knowing my husband is healthy, knowing that my son is healthy and he doesn't go without a meal. It is knowing that my husband loves me for me, and not because I meet a certain appearance criteria that the tabloids make us think is beautiful. It is knowing that the volunteer work I have done has made a difference, that I have made a difference in someone's life. Of course this is just the basis, and I know I am far from being 100% happy, but I also understand that I do not have to compete with anyone in order to reach my happiness.

Your happiness is from within yourself. No one else can define your happiness for you. Only you can.

Are you truly Happy?
Are you still hunting for happiness?
How do you define happiness?

Subject: Re: Hunting for Happiness

Written By: danootaandme on 02/11/08 at 12:44 pm

I'm content, but don't know if it translates to happy.  I know things could be better, but I also know that things could be seriously worse.  I laugh most everyday at something,  and don't often cry. I tend towards melancholy, most everyone says I am "dark" or "deep" so I am not sure the standard definition of happy would ever apply to me. 

Written By: Jessica on 02/11/08 at 12:53 pm

I define my happiness as having a happy healthy son and a loving husband. It also includes good health, enough money to live on without going broke or having to use credit cards, and helping people who are less fortunate than I am (for no matter how bad off we think we are, there is always someone experiencing worse problems).

From those listed above, I only have the first two. My health isn't that great (not only physically, but mentally, no matter what silly front I put up online), we're pretty broke right now, and I don't feel I'm right to volunteer for anything as long as my mind and health are screwed up. I had examined myself thoroughly for the new year and made resolutions (all to improve myself), but I could tell you how those are going. ::)

I have been told before that I should be more positive about things and that I'd find happiness, but it is easier said than done.

I have never been one to find pleasure in material things or define people by what they have or how they look. It is a ridiculous attitude, and I swore to myself to never fall into that trap. At the same time, I find myself without a lot of friends because I don't subscribe to that BS and can NOT tolerate people talking about what they have all the time. I'm not jealous (can't be jealous of something you never possessed in the first place), I just think it is weird.

Written By: Dagwood on 02/11/08 at 1:19 pm

I have found true happiness in God.  I am a religious person and, in my opinion, it is the key to happiness.

My daughter and I both have health and I am able to keep a roof over our heads and food in the cupboards plus sometimes extras.  We don't have a nice, new car but I don't have a car payment so that is good.  We live in a mobile home, but I don't have a big payment so it's all good.  When I get bummed because I don't have XYZ  or can't give my daughter XYZ, I think of others who don't even know where their next meal is coming from and it makes me feel better about my life.  I do try to help others where I can.  It isn't much, but I have always figured if everybody gave even just a dollar so many problems could be solved in this country.  Every little bit helps.

Happiness is not material.  It is inside you.  Like Jess said, loving family is happiness.  Money can buy stuff, but it can't buy that. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/11/08 at 1:49 pm

I think the one thing that REALLY makes me happy is the fact that I have someone in my life that truly loves me with every fiber of his being-the same way I love him. He treats me with respect and he listens to me (well, most of the time  ;) ). I feel at this point in my life I am truly, truly happy and I'm not going through the motions (like I have done in the past). To me, that is the most important aspect to being happy-loving and being loved back. It doesn't have to be a partnership relationship-it could be parent/kid, siblings, etc. etc. But to be loved unconditionally is a wonderful feeling.

Now that I have achieved that, another thing is that we don't have anything to worry about. We have a roof over our heads, our bills paid, we are not hungry, cold, sick, (well... :-X ) etc. If we do get sick, we have the means to go see a doctor (i.e. health insurance).  Sometimes I feel guilty that we have it so good when others are without.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: KKay on 02/11/08 at 3:23 pm

I define my happiness as having a happy healthy son and a loving husband. It also includes good health, enough money to live on without going broke or having to use credit cards, and helping people who are less fortunate than I am

I agree that these are the things that SHOULD amount to happiness. To me they are a drop in the bucket. The things I take for granted.  The list for happiness is long and includes purely selfish stuff.  Happiness is fleeting.  it can come from something nice you did for someone, but when you get a thank you or recognition your'e happy for a selfish reason.
Contentment is being at home warm and safe...but is that happy?  I think at my happiest I'm not even aware- at this moment I'm very very happy.  I'm not with anyone- I'm not working. I don't need anything.  for me, that is the finest of moments.
The definition is different for everyone but I think the core of happiness is selfish (and that is NOT a bad thing.)

Written By: Jessica on 02/11/08 at 4:07 pm

The definition is different for everyone but I think the core of happiness is selfish (and that is NOT a bad thing.)

It's not a bad thing at all. I've heard that a lot of experts (I use that word reluctantly) want women to be a bit selfish about things in their lives, like having time to themselves, or making sure that they get that physical with no balking, or even buying that nice outfit that looks good on you and fits perfectly. A lot of the time, women forget that and they dedicate themselves to doing stuff for others and just completely neglect their minds and bodies and own wants.

I don't know if men feel the same way, but some input from them would be nice. ;)

Written By: gemini on 02/11/08 at 4:46 pm

I agree with all the other posts that my family being healthy and happy makes me happy, and it's not material things because we don't really have alot of money or stuff. Sometimes we have more things going against us than we have going for us. Hell, most of the time really. But, I just try to stay postive and let the little things make me happy like watching the dogs run around the house acting crazy stealing toys from each other, or getting the best parking spot, or the dentist sending a bill for Linz's crown instead of making me pay up front, or breathing a sigh of relief when I get a text message saying sorry I didn't call, but I made it here ok.  Those are just temporary little quick fixes that get me through the day sometimes, but it keeps me going.  Does that make sense?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/11/08 at 4:55 pm

I'm happy because I'm lucky.  Lucky that I don't have some debilitating disease, that my boy is healthy, that there's a roof over our heads, that someone is always looking out for us even though we should be old enough and wise enough to do that ourselves.  Lucky that the people in my life love me and that I have the opportunity to make something of myself.

Wouldn't have it any other way...well, I'd like to be self-sustaining, but that day will come.

Written By: Tam on 02/11/08 at 7:19 pm

Great feedback all!

I enjoy reading how other people define their own happiness.

I think I really started this thread because I have been reading a book that has gotten me to think about my happiness, and if I think I have reached it yet. I know for a fact that I have not achieved full happiness, but I do know that being a stay at home mom gives me more happiness than I have ever felt. I actually enjoy cleaning the house and doing the laundry and such. I like things a certain way, so it gives me the opportunity to have them that way, and be able to say that my son and husband came home to dinner on the table and a clean house. (Ok, so a bit of it could be that I am anal about where things go  ;D )

I asked my husband to define his happiness, and of course a lot of it has to do with success and money. I notice in talking to him and other people that very seldom do people not say money. So even though it can't, do we believe that money can buy happiness?

I can say that I am happy because I have a roof over my head, food in my belly, clothes on my back - but then I would be confusing my happiness with security. See, to me, security means everything I just said, plus health care, bills being paid on time etc. Sure, they can make you happy - at knowing you're secure for yet another month or year...

Maybe I am thinking about this too much. I know my brain is starting to hurt! ;D

Written By: thereshegoes on 02/11/08 at 7:47 pm

I discovered that happiness is all about tiny moments of bliss.

when the one you love tells you he loves you back
when your mom makes you your favorite dish and you kiss her cheek for it and she gives you a tiny smile that she doesn't want you to see
when you arrive at work and your co-worker brings photos of her baby to show off how cute he is,although it is the ugliest baby you've ever seen!
when your boss says you're a great worker and we're glad you're with us
When something you were fearing doesn't come true
when you hear a catcall in the street 'cause today you were looking pretty.
when you watch a great movie that makes you laugh and cry and think about life
when you hear a song that touches you deep and then you singing all the time until you just can't stand it anymore
when your favorite author has a new book out and you go buy it as soon as you can and read it all in one night.
When your friend that you haven't talked to for awhile says she's been missing you too,when you know that the ones you're thinking about still remember you too
when you reminisce about your childhood and just focus on how great it was to be a kid
when you know that you're stronger than you ever imagined to be
when you dream about what you want and know that sooner or later you will get it

when when when you truly live!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/11/08 at 8:14 pm

I'm still searching..... :-\\

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/11/08 at 10:04 pm

I find it is best to keep some form of perspective.  I chose the book "Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are?" by Dr. Seuss for the boy based on my philosophy.  I mean, yeah, sometimes it's lame that you have to work your dead-end job, but would you rather be the guy who doesn't have a job? 

Be happy in the present, but don't be afraid to aim high in the future.

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/11/08 at 10:07 pm

"Happiness is the absence of the striving for happiness."
- Chuang-Tzu (ca. 350 BC)

On the spectrum from Stoicism to Epicureanism to Dionysianism, I'll take Epicureanism.  Everything in moderation, including moderation.  (I'm too goofy to ever make a good Stoic, and what's the point in being a Dionysian if you burn your liver out in a week.  The Epicureans have it nailed -- enjoy your food and wine in moderation, not because moderation's a particularly wonderful thing, but because you'll live long enough to enjoy more of it than the 300-pound Dionysian who keeled over from heart attack at age 40!)

Written By: Howard on 02/11/08 at 10:32 pm

I define happiness as having a roof over my head,place to go to after work,having a decent job and making ok money.

Written By: Green Lantern on 02/11/08 at 10:54 pm

Ok ...

I've had the quickest of glances at your opening post ... then skipped all ... straight to here ... so I won't be influenced by anything said before (read them after) ..

It to me is something fleeting .... a bit like confidence.

Like something you have to work at day to day  .... to maintain. Will money make you happy? I'd rather be an unhappy millionaire (of which there are plenty) than  unhappy poor. Still, if you're unhappy poor ... you have certain excuses ... if you're unhappy rich ... you can beat yourself up further still, cos you think .. .. 'Hey ! ... I've got all this loot' ... better off than so many .... what the hell IS wrong with me !'

I guess its to a large extent ..... counting your blessings / seeing the good things in your situation .... CHOOSING either consciously to do so or perhaps being indoctrinated that way ? (that higher power .. there for me .... 'You've GOT a friend' ?

Am I happy ? Too lazy for that ...  :(  :-[

Written By: Red Ant on 02/11/08 at 11:50 pm

I like all of the above responses! I'm going to take a slightly different approach on this (no particular order with these)

Happiness to me is when the small things go right. The days when even the simplest of things constantly go wrong are the days when I'm most unhappy. Some of the small(er) things that make me happy (or, can make my day - not just instant gratification):

When you talk to a friend and they know what you mean, even if you don't.
Seeing my wife smile.
Playing with my cat.
Listening to an awesome piece of music.
Teamwork that works.
Getting things done (accomplishment)

There's lots more, but it's getting late here, so I'll stop with this list for now. A great night's sleep makes me happy : it's even better when my neighbor doesn't repeatedly test his car's rev limiter at 8 in the morning.  ;D

Ant

Written By: Gis on 02/12/08 at 1:18 am

I like all of the above responses! I'm going to take a slightly different approach on this (no particular order with these)

Happiness to me is when the small things go right. The days when even the simplest of things constantly go wrong are the days when I'm most unhappy. Some of the small(er) things that make me happy (or, can make my day - not just instant gratification):

When you talk to a friend and they know what you mean, even if you don't.
Seeing my wife smile.
Playing with my cat.
Listening to an awesome piece of music.
Teamwork that works.
Getting things done (accomplishment)

There's lots more, but it's getting late here, so I'll stop with this list for now. A great night's sleep makes me happy : it's even better when my neighbor doesn't repeatedly test his car's rev limiter at 8 in the morning.  ;D

Ant
I agree wholeheartedly! This is what happiness is to me. All the small stuff that happens everyday.
I guess it helps that on the whole I am a Pollyanna so I do try to see something good in whatever happens. It is amazing how much good can come out of terrible things, not always straight away. Why waste your life being sad is now my philosophy and before I get things thrown at me for being annoyingly upbeat, I would like to point out this comes from someone who suffered clinical depression and still gets bouts. Happiness is definatly a state of mind.  :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/12/08 at 2:43 am

Seeing my wife smile.

Ant

just knowing that something like that would make my mate happy....would be pure bliss.

Written By: Howard on 02/12/08 at 6:43 am

coming home from payday
living life to the fullest
having people who care
positive people

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/12/08 at 2:43 pm

Happiness is a warm gun

Written By: whistledog on 02/12/08 at 4:07 pm

According to the Ontario Lottery, "Happiness is playing BINGO" :D

Written By: KKay on 02/12/08 at 4:14 pm

ok. i've established that having good people in my life and having a home is great and all that, but these are not the things that generate KK's happiness.  my true happiness, when i'm undeniably myself and all is right:

goofing around in the park with Bode
singing some cool song at the new place I work at in Brooklyn
driving around in summer with ice cream
when i worked in the garden center and it was really hot and the hose was going everwhere and so was the dirt
getting in bed with clean sheets
being looked at with respect or love

all selfish, all making me glad I'm me.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/08 at 4:15 pm

According to the Ontario Lottery, "Happiness is playing BINGO" :D
"There was a farmer who had a dog,
And Bingo was his name-o.
B-I-N-G-O
B-I-N-G-O
B-I-N-G-O
And Bingo was his name-o."

Written By: KKay on 02/12/08 at 4:19 pm

B-I-N-G-O
B-I-N-G-O
B-I-N-G-O

happiness is BINGO if he brings me a few grand!

Written By: Howard on 02/13/08 at 7:44 am

happiness is getting a full time job.

Written By: Green Lantern on 02/13/08 at 8:42 am

happiness is getting a full time job.

Not necessarily !  >:(

E.g. .... I go to one firm, work 3 days a week ..... they pay me 600 bucks for the 'full time job'. I go to another firm .... they too pay me 600 bucks for a 5 day week ! Hmm . Great to be employed FOOL time !  :\'( :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/13/08 at 9:55 am

Not necessarily !  >:(

E.g. .... I go to one firm, work 3 days a week ..... they pay me 600 bucks for the 'full time job'. I go to another firm .... they too pay me 600 bucks for a 5 day week ! Hmm . Great to be employed FOOL time !  :\'( :D
What is this work thing?

Written By: Jessica on 02/13/08 at 10:14 am

Another thing that makes me happy is the sun being out. It is clear and bright today, although cold. I feel great though.

Written By: Green Lantern on 02/13/08 at 4:34 pm

http://seis.bris.ac.uk/~rs1909/photo/happiness.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/13/08 at 4:44 pm

Hunting high and low?

Written By: Green Lantern on 02/13/08 at 4:54 pm

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/2783/imageskj4.jpg

Written By: Green Lantern on 02/13/08 at 4:56 pm

http://www.fatladysings.us/photos/uncategorized/happiness_fairy.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/13/08 at 5:05 pm

http://cover6.cduniverse.com/msiart/large/0000531/0000531426.jpg

Written By: Green Lantern on 02/13/08 at 5:10 pm

http://www.technovelgy.com/graphics/content07/map-of-world-happiness.jpg

^

The first World Map of Happiness has been published by scholars from the University of Leicester. The map is a global projection of subjective well-being (SWB), taken from a variety of recent sources, and compared with related data from UNESCO, the UN and even the CIA.

LINK: ->  Here

Written By: Green Lantern on 02/13/08 at 5:21 pm

An interesting link that emerges from that page ^

Your Country

Worth a look ! ^

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/13/08 at 5:23 pm

An interesting link that emerges from that page ^

Your Country

Worth a look ! ^

Why does the UK have to be included in with Europe?

Written By: Green Lantern on 02/13/08 at 5:27 pm

You're anti-European ?

You can just click on the UK ... and zooms right in !  Then you see where the UK rates .....

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/13/08 at 5:29 pm

You're anti-European ?

You can just click on the UK ... and zooms right in !  Then you see where the UK rates .....
Will it be a huge rain cloud over London?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/13/08 at 5:31 pm

Because the UK is like 23 miles off of France, which is attached to Europe, so it stands to reason that UK sits on the same continental shelf as the rest of Europe?

I dunno...maybe this European affiliation doesn't make you happy?

Written By: Green Lantern on 02/13/08 at 5:42 pm

I dunno...maybe this European affiliation doesn't make you happy?

There IS a sad irony to  that  ^  .... in this ... the 'Happiness' thread !  :(  ;D :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/14/08 at 3:01 am

"I want to be happy
But I won't be happy
Till I make you happy too."

Written By: whistledog on 02/14/08 at 3:22 am

B-I-N-G-O
B-I-N-G-O
B-I-N-G-O

Scratch and win tickets ...

http://www.citynews.ca/images/2006-11/nov2206-scratchandwin-12.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/14/08 at 3:33 am

Scratch and win tickets ...

http://www.citynews.ca/images/2006-11/nov2206-scratchandwin-12.jpg
That is certainly one road to happiness, but...

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/14/08 at 3:57 am

Mr. Happy  http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S020wxELRH1m0AhyKjzbkF/SIG=131jktca8/EXP=1203069361/**http%3A//forbiddenplanet.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/Mr%2520Happy.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/14/08 at 4:01 am

Mr. Hunthttp://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/03/15/arts/15hunt.jpg

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/14/08 at 4:02 am

he's getting ready to shoot someone, yet he looks happy  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/14/08 at 4:04 am

he's getting ready to shoot someone, yet he looks happy  :)
Make my day?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/14/08 at 4:06 am

Make my day?
exactly, making his day makes him happy

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/14/08 at 4:09 am

"Happy talk, keep talkin' happy talk,
Talk about things you'd like to do.
You got to have a dream,
If you don't have a dream,
How you gonna have a dream come true?

Talk about the moon floatin' in the sky
Lookin' at a lily on the lake;
Talk about a bird learnin' how to fly.
Makin' all the music he can make.

Happy talk, keep talkin' happy talk,
You got to have a dream,
If you don't have a dream,

Talk about a star lookin' like a toy
Peekin' through the branches of a tree;
Talk about the girl, talk about the boy
Countin' all the ripples on the sea.

You got to have a dream,
If you don't have a dream

Talk about the boy sayin' to the girl:
"Golly, baby, I'm a lucky cuss"
Talk about the girl sayin' to the boy:
"You an' me is lucky to be us!"

You got to have a dream,
If you don't have a dream

If you don't talk happy,
And you never have dream,
Then you'll never have a dream come true!"

Written By: Howard on 02/14/08 at 6:32 am

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1295/945401490_ba7b7b002b.jpg?v=0

Written By: Green Lantern on 02/14/08 at 8:52 am

Mr. Happy  http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S020wxELRH1m0AhyKjzbkF/SIG=131jktca8/EXP=1203069361/**http%3A//forbiddenplanet.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/Mr%2520Happy.jpg

Mr. Hunt ?  ???

How could I forget THAT one !  :-[ :(

After going on about trying to get people to say 'Pork Hunt' rapidly .... well, a few were too stupid to catch my drift, the poor ....'s  :P

So, now we have Mr. Hunt !  8)

Well, I've played MORE than a few trivias in my time, and we've tried to come up with amusing team names, heard a few ourselves. One of the staples /oft repeated favorites over here is:

'Has ANYBODY seen Mike Hunt' !  :o  :P  :D

Well, since Valentine's has just passed here, probably a few 'Mike hunt's in the equation ?  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 02/14/08 at 12:20 pm

I had that book when I was a kid ;D

Written By: nally on 02/14/08 at 12:24 pm

I read it too! Along with all the other Mister Men and Little Misses :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/14/08 at 12:26 pm

Which one is happy?

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1299/1331149496_4f9b70692c_m.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 02/14/08 at 9:11 pm

I'll read the responses later...

I just wanted to chime in and say that I am not looking for happiness but satisfaction I just want to be satisfied with the life that I have

Dictionary.com
sat·is·fac·tion      /ˌsætɪsˈfækʃən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. an act of satisfying; fulfillment; gratification.
2. the state of being satisfied; contentment.
3. the cause or means of being satisfied.
4. confident acceptance of something as satisfactory, dependable, true, etc.
5. reparation or compensation, as for a wrong or injury.
6. the opportunity to redress or right a wrong, as by a duel.
7. payment or discharge, as of a debt or obligation.
8. Ecclesiastical.
a. an act of doing penance or making reparation for venial sin.
b. the penance or reparation mad

American Heritage
sat·is·fac·tion      (sāt'ĭs-fāk'shən)  Pronunciation Key
n. 

1. The fulfillment or gratification of a desire, need, or appetite.
        2. Pleasure or contentment derived from such gratification.
        3. A source or means of gratification.
        4. Compensation for injury or loss; reparation.
        5. The opportunity to avenge a wrong; vindication.
        1. Compensation for injury or loss; reparation.
        2. The opportunity to avenge a wrong; vindication.
  3. Assurance beyond doubt or question; complete conviction.

I don't know maybe the difference is subtle but there is a distinct difference in my mind.

The truth is...monetary issues and current living conditions aside I am relatively happy...but then it doesn't take much. Carly, a mountain dew and a something to watch on TV makes me happy but when I get to the end of my life I don't want that one big accomplishment I am too scared to go for hanging over my head. 

I won't be satisfied until I take the leap and try to do what it is I was truly meant to do.  :\'(

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/14/08 at 11:48 pm

aww, that's just too precious  ;D            umm, do you still have it?  ???

Written By: Howard on 02/15/08 at 3:12 pm

I'm Happy.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/15/08 at 11:56 pm

http://www.fatladysings.us/photos/uncategorized/happiness_fairy.jpg

Yours is much more profound then mine.  :-[ 

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/16/08 at 6:24 am

He's Happy!

http://disney.go.com/vault/archives/characters/sevendwarfs/a11a3h.jpg

Written By: Howard on 02/16/08 at 6:25 am

He's Happy!

the 7 Dwarfs?

Written By: Green Lantern on 02/16/08 at 6:32 am

He's Happy!

http://www.loupiote.com/rainbow/images/8133-hippy-jesus.jpg
He's  ^  HIPPY !  :P

http://www.wightwash.org.uk/images/bg_hippy.gif

Written By: Howard on 02/16/08 at 7:11 am

http://www.loupiote.com/rainbow/images/8133-hippy-jesus.jpg
He's  ^  HIPPY !   :P

http://www.wightwash.org.uk/images/bg_hippy.gif

He said Happy not Hippy. ::)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/17/08 at 2:29 am

I agree that happiness is rather fleeting. It's one of those things that's hard to attain for a long period of time and then if you do, it takes a long time to really realise just how happy you were.

I think happiness has to do with appreciation. I find that the two are very close in relating how something gives me joy or pleasure. I often have to step back and actually "appreciate" something, someone, etc. to actually feel some happiness in my heart and let it land there permanently (hopefully). It's kinda like the Grinch. He had to step back from the miserably thing he did to realise his happiness at them not being unhappy for taking everything they had away from them. He had to appreciate the moment.

It's easy to be content with our loved ones, money or material things - but it's much harder to be content with things we're not usually accepting of. I think a lot of happiness has to do with opening our hearts and minds and being accepting and appreciative of certain things. Then we won't feel so down all the time.

Well, I guess this is how I get by; that's my most positive approach at staying happy  :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/17/08 at 2:48 am

I find it is best to keep some form of perspective.  I chose the book "Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are?" by Dr. Seuss for the boy based on my philosophy.  I mean, yeah, sometimes it's lame that you have to work your dead-end job, but would you rather be the guy who doesn't have a job? 

Be happy in the present, but don't be afraid to aim high in the future.

Dr. Suess also wrote that great inspirational book "Oh, The Places You Will Go!" That's a great one to pick you up!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/17/08 at 3:33 am

Dr. Suess also wrote that great inspirational book "Oh, The Places You Will Go!" That's a great one to pick you up!

Yes, that is a great book!

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 02/17/08 at 5:25 am

For what my two cents may be worth out here:

IMHO, happiness is a constant work in progress. There will always be something to strive for, whether it's a better job, getting a project finished, or "that last piece of cheesecake".

For me, this old Hawk's happiness depends on many facotrs, but I'll just give the abridged version, so no one thinks I'm being too vainglorious:

-A loving family (my wife & daughter)
-A healthy family (no major blows, yet...*knock wood*)
-Bills paid on time each month (am now back on even keel)
-Necessities being met consistently (more or less- yes)
-A successful career (both the wife & I are striving for those respective careers)
-Music available on a daily basis (Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
-The occasional break/vacation (What are those?!?)

Most of these are doing well. On the overall scale, I guess my happiness is about 7 1/2.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/17/08 at 5:28 am

"Happiness, happiness, the greatest gift that I posses
I thank the Lord I've been blessed
With more than my share of happiness."

Written By: Howard on 02/17/08 at 6:03 am

I'm trying to stay happy but I'm stuck right now after what happened with Robin And I. :-\\ :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/17/08 at 6:11 am

I'm trying to stay happy but I'm stuck right now after what happened with Robin And I. :-\\ :(
You will be happy without her.

Written By: Howard on 02/17/08 at 4:55 pm

You will be happy without her.

That should make me happy.

Written By: snozberries on 02/17/08 at 5:29 pm

great with all this happiness I have that stupid Don't Worry Be Happy song in my head.....dang it...

Where did I put that........

*CLANG*

*TOSS*

*SHUFFLE*

I know its in here somewhere......

AH HERE IT IS.....

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj130/KEMMYE/grumpy.jpg

yeah that's better! 

Written By: coqueta83 on 02/17/08 at 8:10 pm

Happiness to me is having good health, dear friends, wonderful family, and having the basic necessities of life (food, clothes, etc.).

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/18/08 at 2:51 am

Just remember Snow White goes to bed feeling grumpy and dopey, and wakes up feeling happy and bashful.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 02/18/08 at 2:52 am

Just remember Snow White goes to bed feeling grumpy and dopey, and wakes up feeling happy and bashful.

And starts looking for her Doc?

Written By: Howard on 02/18/08 at 7:05 am

Happiness is having a relationship with a girl that'll love you for YOU and not what kind of job you have or how much money you're making.

Written By: Tam on 02/18/08 at 11:26 am

I'll read the responses later...

I just wanted to chime in and say that I am not looking for happiness but satisfaction I just want to be satisfied with the life that I have

Dictionary.com
sat·is·fac·tion      /ˌsætɪsˈfækʃən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. an act of satisfying; fulfillment; gratification.
2. the state of being satisfied; contentment.
3. the cause or means of being satisfied.
4. confident acceptance of something as satisfactory, dependable, true, etc.
5. reparation or compensation, as for a wrong or injury.
6. the opportunity to redress or right a wrong, as by a duel.
7. payment or discharge, as of a debt or obligation.
8. Ecclesiastical.
a. an act of doing penance or making reparation for venial sin.
b. the penance or reparation mad

American Heritage
sat·is·fac·tion       (sāt'ĭs-fāk'shən)  Pronunciation Key
n. 

1. The fulfillment or gratification of a desire, need, or appetite.
         2. Pleasure or contentment derived from such gratification.
         3. A source or means of gratification.
         4. Compensation for injury or loss; reparation.
         5. The opportunity to avenge a wrong; vindication.
         1. Compensation for injury or loss; reparation.
         2. The opportunity to avenge a wrong; vindication.
   3. Assurance beyond doubt or question; complete conviction.

I don't know maybe the difference is subtle but there is a distinct difference in my mind.

The truth is...monetary issues and current living conditions aside I am relatively happy...but then it doesn't take much. Carly, a mountain dew and a something to watch on TV makes me happy but when I get to the end of my life I don't want that one big accomplishment I am too scared to go for hanging over my head. 

I won't be satisfied until I take the leap and try to do what it is I was truly meant to do.  :\'(

Good point Girl!

Can a person be unsatisfied and still be happy though?
--------------------------------------------------------

Since starting this thread, I have talked to more people about it and still I find that most of them base their happiness on their professional status. Do they have the best job with the most amount of money? Is the house they live in their dream? Is their vehicle top of the line?

I did however speak to one woman who said she wasn't happy because she was unable to help all of the needy children in her community. She has already adopted 4 children, but wanted to be able to adopt them all. Adopting them all would make her happy.

One extreme to the other and yet tons of people are still hunting for their happiness.... :-\\

Written By: Jessica on 02/18/08 at 11:46 am

Good point Girl!

Since starting this thread, I have talked to more people about it and still I find that most of them base their happiness on their professional status. Do they have the best job with the most amount of money? Is the house they live in their dream? Is their vehicle top of the line?

I still don't understand that mentality. Maybe because we didn't have a lot growing up, but I've never expected to be rich or have a McMansion or whatever. Just being able to afford necessities, help out in the community, and have some left over for fun trips (I love road trips) is good enough for me.

I mean, I've been looking at new cars, mainly because we're planning on having another kid eventually, but I'm not going to go out and invest in a Hummer or something just to hold another child. ::)

Written By: snozberries on 02/18/08 at 11:53 am

Good point Girl!

I did however speak to one woman who said she wasn't happy because she was unable to help all of the needy children in her community. She has already adopted 4 children, but wanted to be able to adopt them all. Adopting them all would make her happy.

One extreme to the other and yet tons of people are still hunting for their happiness.... :-\\

I think you can be unsatisfied and happy depending on where you find happiness.  I am unsatisfied because I have failed to take the risk I need to do but I still experience happiness.  It just that those moments of happiness are fleeting.  I can spend a whole day happy because I am away from home but once I get home I am surrounded by all the things telling me I should be living differently and the happiness I had earlier is gone...

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/18/08 at 11:58 am

I still don't understand that mentality. Maybe because we didn't have a lot growing up, but I've never expected to be rich or have a McMansion or whatever. Just being able to afford necessities, help out in the community, and have some left over for fun trips (I love road trips) is good enough for me.

I mean, I've been looking at new cars, mainly because we're planning on having another kid eventually, but I'm not going to go out and invest in a Hummer or something just to hold another child. ::)

I agree. I've never valued my happiness by how much I have or the material things I've got. I've always found it superficiial (well, at least in the last 13 years I have). When my parents got divorced, I started to realise that material things weren't all that great. I would've much rather traded the big house we had to keep my parents together. Then that house was kinda like a prison becuase we couldn't afford to live there, yet it was hard to sell it because we didn't have a lot of equity in it, so we tried to make ends meet until we did have enough equity. It was like we were poor people living in a big house. A very strange situation. We lived extremeley modest. Ate at home all the time, never had a computer, didn't have a lot of cable channels, never bought anything new.

Anyway, those were not happy times, even though we did make the best of them.

I always find it funny because people seem to always buy more than they can really afford. Those people with Hummers, Mercedes, Jaguars, and their Big houses, expensive wardrobes - they actually probably as poor as someone living on the street - when you look at their debt. Now yesterday, my boyfriend and I were driving through some Moibile home parks, and some I were impressed were pretty nice. Some of them even had Mercedes (brand new!), but I bet you - they actually could afford that vehicle because they don't own a house that's worth $700,000. I was thinking, "So, they're living modestly and here they've got themselves a nice Mercedes and them rich folk in Danville and Walnut Creek think they're smart, heh" lol  ;D  I am sure the people in their mobile home with their brand new Mercedes are a lot happier than those people living in Blackhawk who have to figure out how to make payments for next months bills.

Written By: snozberries on 02/18/08 at 12:03 pm

I agree. I've never valued my happiness by how much I have or the material things I've got. I've always found it superficiial (well, at least in the last 13 years I have). When my parents got divorced, I started to realise that material things weren't all that great. I would've much rather traded the big house we had to keep my parents together. Then that house was kinda like a prison becuase we couldn't afford to live there, yet it was hard to sell it because we didn't have a lot of equity in it, so we tried to make ends meet until we did have enough equity. It was like we were poor people living in a big house. A very strange situation. We lived extremeley modest. Ate at home all the time, never had a computer, didn't have a lot of cable channels, never bought anything new.

I always find it funny because people seem to always buy more than they can really afford. Those people with Hummers, Mercedes, Jaguars, and their Big houses, expensive wardrobes - they actually probably as poor as someone living on the street - when you look at their debt. Now yesterday, my boyfriend and I were driving through some Moibile home parks, and some I were impressed were pretty nice. Some of them even had Mercedes (brand new!), but I bet you - they actually could afford that vehicle because they don't own a house that's worth $700,000. I was thinking, "So, they're living modestly and here they've got themselves a nice Mercedes and them rich folk in Danville and Walnut Creek think they're smart, heh" lol  ;D  I am sure the people in their mobile home with their brand new Mercedes are a lot happier than those people living in Blackhawk who have to figure out how to make payments for next months bills.

where was this mobile home park... a mobile home in Santa Barbara runs 190K to 500K (for the ones in the 400,000 to 500+ you actually own the land it sits on...but not the 190,000 - 390,000)

A condo costs 525,000 and up...

Written By: Jessica on 02/18/08 at 12:31 pm

I always find it funny because people seem to always buy more than they can really afford. Those people with Hummers, Mercedes, Jaguars, and their Big houses, expensive wardrobes - they actually probably as poor as someone living on the street - when you look at their debt. Now yesterday, my boyfriend and I were driving through some Moibile home parks, and some I were impressed were pretty nice. Some of them even had Mercedes (brand new!), but I bet you - they actually could afford that vehicle because they don't own a house that's worth $700,000. I was thinking, "So, they're living modestly and here they've got themselves a nice Mercedes and them rich folk in Danville and Walnut Creek think they're smart, heh" lol  ;D  I am sure the people in their mobile home with their brand new Mercedes are a lot happier than those people living in Blackhawk who have to figure out how to make payments for next months bills.

Man, that sounds like it was a really difficult time for your family. Karma to you for getting through it all. :)

My in-laws live in Danville and they have a HUGE house...except they can afford it. They are very frugal with their money, and are able to afford that, decent cars (nothing fancy, they have hybrids and stuff), and dinners out all the time.

Mobile homes are wonderful, and I would have no problem living in one. My mom's friend lived in one, and it was HUGE. I think she paid $120,000 for it, and then $500 on the space in the park each month.

Written By: Dagwood on 02/18/08 at 12:48 pm

where was this mobile home park... a mobile home in Santa Barbara runs 190K to 500K (for the ones in the 400,000 to 500+ you actually own the land it sits on...but not the 190,000 - 390,000)

Wow, huge difference in Utah and California.  My mobile home cost $36,000 and I pay $340 a month for the lot. 

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/18/08 at 12:57 pm

A condo costs 525,000 and up...

Yes, ours are in Concord area. I'm not sure how familiar you are with NoCal, but Concord is like a middle-class city with over 100+ people in it. Santa Barbara is much different because of course you've got the ocean, which hikes up the cost. But, Mobile homes are still not a bad price to pay for some other properties in rich areas.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 02/18/08 at 1:00 pm

Ahhh, to be a child again.....if only for a day.....

-Ever notice on children's birthdays, happiness equates to friends, presents, cake & ice cream, presents and games?
And did I mention presents?!?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/18/08 at 1:03 pm

Man, that sounds like it was a really difficult time for your family. Karma to you for getting through it all. :)

My in-laws live in Danville and they have a HUGE house...except they can afford it. They are very frugal with their money, and are able to afford that, decent cars (nothing fancy, they have hybrids and stuff), and dinners out all the time.

Mobile homes are wonderful, and I would have no problem living in one. My mom's friend lived in one, and it was HUGE. I think she paid $120,000 for it, and then $500 on the space in the park each month.

Thanks, they were rough times, but also a good eye opener for me. They made me more humble.  :)

I hope I didn't sound too harsh about people in Danville and Walnut Creek. I guess I was making too broad a judgement there with my fast typing fingers -  ;D But, you're right there are many people who do live in nice houses and do live frugally. I am glad your in-laws (this must be Rice Cubes fam, as I remember him saying he hailed from Danville) live a good example of not trying to outdo everyone. I guess it does get frustrating living in these areas and seeing these people you know buy stuff you know they can't afford. It does seem that is the norm for most, while the rich frugal people are the exception.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/18/08 at 2:02 pm

Why spend money you don't have to try to buy happiness you're not even guaranteed to get?  :P

Written By: snozberries on 02/18/08 at 2:09 pm

Yes, ours are in Concord area. I'm not sure how familiar you are with NoCal, but Concord is like a middle-class city with over 100+ people in it. Santa Barbara is much different because of course you've got the ocean, which hikes up the cost. But, Mobile homes are still not a bad price to pay for some other properties in rich areas.

I have a friend who lives in Concord and another who lives in Danville.... danville is like Santa Barbara in mentality and attitudes of some of the residents but you're right we have the ocean.  The problem is Goleta which neighbors Santa Barbara has outrageous housing costs...that's where you can get the mobile homes at the price I quoted but its not as prestigious as Santa Barbara

Written By: Jessica on 02/18/08 at 9:52 pm

Thanks, they were rough times, but also a good eye opener for me. They made me more humble.  :)

I hope I didn't sound too harsh about people in Danville and Walnut Creek. I guess I was making too broad a judgement there with my fast typing fingers -  ;D But, you're right there are many people who do live in nice houses and do live frugally. I am glad your in-laws (this must be Rice Cubes fam, as I remember him saying he hailed from Danville) live a good example of not trying to outdo everyone. I guess it does get frustrating living in these areas and seeing these people you know buy stuff you know they can't afford. It does seem that is the norm for most, while the rich frugal people are the exception.

Oh, not at all. My inlaws are frugal anyways. They're Asian. :D

Okay, that was bad. Nah, they're just frugal because they grew up REALLY poor, then they came to this country and worked their asses off to get where they are today.

Written By: Howard on 02/19/08 at 6:23 pm

Why spend money you don't have to try to buy happiness you're not even guaranteed to get?  :P

Does that include a girl too? ;D

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 02/19/08 at 6:48 pm

Does that include a girl too? ;D

Never pay for the girl....all the right parts are usually out-of-stock.

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/19/08 at 8:10 pm

Happiness is a warm gun...

But seriously, if I feel I have an underidding purpose to whatever I'm doing - even if that's to gorge on my hedonistic tendancies - than happiness comes.

Written By: KKay on 02/19/08 at 8:16 pm

I made a lot of comments about being selfish....however:
I find that no matter what happens i love the world; it's crazy and unpredictable and nasty and smelly and fun.

I find happiness there.

Written By: Howard on 02/20/08 at 7:31 am

Never pay for the girl....all the right parts are usually out-of-stock.

And all of the parts should be locked until you get a full time job. ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...