inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Take a poll that answers the age old question...

Written By: wsmith4 on 02/13/08 at 1:41 pm

I'd say if that ever happened, I don't knwo what I'd do!!!  :o

Subject: Re: Take a poll that answers the age old question...

Written By: wsmith4 on 02/14/08 at 8:02 am

this ain't never happened to no one?

Written By: Tia on 02/14/08 at 8:58 am

even by bill standards, this poll is unusually strange. ;D i went with circles and huffing.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/14/08 at 9:07 am

I'd be pissed.

Written By: whistledog on 02/14/08 at 10:17 am

If my monitor broke, I'd run screaming through a shopping mall wearing nothing but a fig leaf.  Then I'd rumble with an Irishman in the back alley of a 7-11, while we listened to showtunes on an old 8-Track player

Written By: wsmith4 on 02/14/08 at 10:36 am

If my monitor broke, I'd run screaming through a shopping mall wearing nothing but a fig leaf.  Then I'd rumble with an Irishman in the back alley of a 7-11, while we listened to showtunes on an old 8-Track player

I was thinking the same thing! It's truly the only solution.

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/14/08 at 11:20 pm

When I seen a monitor that din't work, ah hooks up my other monitor that works jest fine, and then ah gits to fixin the first one.  Then ah gots two monitors that work!

After a couple of iterations of "the office is throwing out old hardware today", you stop worrying about this sort of thing, but I'll always spend at least one weekend trying to at least diagnose, if not fix, any failed electronic device I own, more out of principle than out of necessity.  Problem with modern electronics is that they hardly ever fail anymore, and when they do, it's a crapshoot as to whether the failed component is a $0.99 generic part that you've got in your parts box, or some custom part that hasn't been manufactured in years.  If it's the $0.99 part, I fix it, but if it's custom, it goes off to China's toy factories by means of the local "recycling" place. 

Fixing it is technically no harder than diagnosing it, but it's a hell of a lot more fun.  No feeling on earth quite like pressing a power button and wondering if you did it right or if it'll try to catch fire, and to be rewarded with a happy little hum and a picture on your screen.  A human never stands so tall as when he stoops to help a small computer.

Written By: Tia on 02/14/08 at 11:22 pm

i demand -- DEMAND! -- that the original answer options be put back. i will pace back and forth and smoke cigars until this is done. >:(

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/14/08 at 11:43 pm

the answer is obvious. it's all about motivation and what the heck does the 80's have to do with it?
Bill, lemme ask you a question; did your parents drop a lot of acid?  :D  J/K  but this is sad, Bill is dragging us into his world of incoherency  :o

Check for new replies or respond here...