inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anything unusual happened today / DID you do anything different ?

Written By: Green Lantern on 02/14/08 at 11:42 am

Well, I'm quite 'knackered' now .... almost asleep, enough to drink, as usual  :-X .... but something jogged my memory at the last moment.

Occurred to me on the way home ... we have the 'At this exact moment' thread.  Also, 'What are you going to do today' .....

Do we have one such as this ? (Those, the immediate future/ present). Probably is one, but down in the vaults ?  :-\\

Well, guess I've missed it.  :-[ Maybe this fills a void ?  :-\\

So, the idea is ....

DID something unusual happen today in your life / did you do anything out of your normal programming ..... and if so ..... how did you feel about it /what was the result, etc; ?

Me ? I went to a local quiz up the road. Played solo. Somehow managed to fluke 2nd place, got $40 worth of vouchers to spend there.

Jumped about (danced ?) to Nancy Sinatra's 'These boots' ..... and took the mic to tell the crowd a lame joke ... that was sorta anti-Valentines  (which is what the host WANTED !  :-X ).

Think I was a mini-hit for all of about 5 mins, and the crowd gave me good applause when the host noted my achievement. 8)

Since I've won jackpots solo, and once in a while come first too (solo) .... it wasn't the GREATEST surprise to me .... but still nice.

Subject: Re: Anything unusual happened today / DID you do anything different ?

Written By: adagio on 02/15/08 at 6:51 am

Why is no one answering?

Ah....I think I will be doing something different, after an appt., I'll go to BestBuy to get some CDs and stop off somewhere else to get a bunch of movies.

Nothing like what you did, though, Alan.  What is a quiz?  If I reached for a mic, I would have an anxiety attack!!

If you want to see another person from here (2nz...Glenn Stollenburg) making it to the Comedy club and doing stand up, there is a list in a thread that Snoz made about you tube favorites.  Did you  have it taped, Alan?  That would be interesting.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=31023.0

Written By: Green Lantern on 02/15/08 at 7:42 am

Why is no one answering?

Ah....I think I will be doing something different, after an appt., I'll go to BestBuy to get some CDs and stop off somewhere else to get a bunch of movies.

Nothing like what you did, though, Alan.  What is a quiz?  If I reached for a mic, I would have an anxiety attack!!

If you want to see another person from here (2nz...Glenn Stollenburg) making it to the Comedy club and doing stand up, there is a list in a thread that Snoz made about you tube favorites.  Did you  have it taped, Alan?  That would be interesting.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=31023.0

Why ? Well not every thread can be a hit ... just like some groups have had their share of flops too ... so this one looks likely to rapidly disappear (as if I care).

Quiz as in 'pub trivia' .... just a bunch of rounds of question over a 2 hour period (approx) re some general knowledge, sports, music, current affairs, oddball facts, etc; etc; Oh .... and there's often a pic round where you have to name the people pictured. If they're recent entertainers/ sports people, I usually flop badly there ...

Taped nah, probably best forgotten !

Written By: adagio on 02/15/08 at 8:02 am

Maybe not...you ARE  funny....and you can tape it for us.

Written By: Gis on 02/15/08 at 8:29 am

Nah we are all just boring with nothing exciting in our lives!  ;D

Actually something unusual happened to my collegue yesterday. She went to wind a moving bookcase so she could go in that block and fetch a reader's order. As the case moved a book fell out onto the floor, and yes you guessed it, from all the hundreds on that bookcase it just happened to be the one the reader wanted!! :o

Written By: Green Lantern on 02/15/08 at 8:33 am

Nah we are all just boring with nothing exciting in our lives!  ;D

Actually something unusual happened to my collegue yesterday. She went to wind a moving bookcase so she could go in that block and fetch a reader's order. As the case moved a book fell out onto the floor, and yes you guessed it, from all the hundreds on that bookcase it just happened to be the one the reader wanted!! :o

Was the book's title 'Serendipity' ?

Written By: Gis on 02/15/08 at 8:45 am

Was the book's title 'Serendipity' ?
I didn't ask, that would have been too freaky.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/15/08 at 8:47 am

One thing that has happened today and is still occuring is that my e-mail host has gone down...

Written By: Green Lantern on 02/15/08 at 8:51 am

One thing that has happened today and is still occuring is that my e-mail host has gone down...

That' s pain. Maybe if you have it set to forward emails to another account ? Though I think that's not an option in Hotmail (to forward to non-Hotmail accounts) ... not the free version, anyhow.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/15/08 at 8:53 am

That' s pain. Maybe if you have it set to forward emails to another account ? Though I think that's not an option in Hotmail (to forward to non-Hotmail accounts) ... not the free version, anyhow.
I don't mind for how am I to know if there is an offer of a job for me awaiting to be answered.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/15/08 at 8:54 am

BTW, the dog photo website is playing up too, it is all texted based at the moment and all the images of the dogs are "red crosses".

Written By: Green Lantern on 02/15/08 at 8:56 am

Sounds like they're trying to push you into unattractive employment ...

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/15/08 at 8:57 am

BTW, the dog photo website is playing up too, it is all texted based at the moment and all the images of the dogs are "red crosses".
Doggie website is back to normal now and Carly is close to the top...

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/15/08 at 8:58 am

Sounds like they're trying to push you into unattractive employment ...
I will just sit here and wait.

Written By: Green Lantern on 02/15/08 at 8:59 am

I will just sit here and wait.

And continue to improve your typdnsding skills !

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/15/08 at 9:01 am

And continue to improve your typdnsding skills !
My typdnsding skiils, yes in ded

Written By: Green Lantern on 02/15/08 at 9:02 am

Are there any postwhoring paid jobs one wonders ?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/15/08 at 9:05 am

Are there any postwhoring paid jobs one wonders ?
I can offer my services.

Written By: Green Lantern on 02/15/08 at 9:12 am

I can offer my services.

It would seem like a posthwhore has died and gone to postwhore heaven ?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/15/08 at 9:16 am

It would seem like a posthwhore has died and gone to postwhore heaven ?
Where?

Written By: Green Lantern on 02/15/08 at 9:18 am

Where?

The firm that hypothetically would pay you for those services. Wherever they might exist ?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/15/08 at 9:18 am

The firm that hypothetically would pay you for those services. Wherever they might exist ?
I could my own training school.

Written By: Green Lantern on 02/15/08 at 9:23 am

I could my own training school.

Explain about having multiple windows at the ready, for a trigger happy response ?  Give them all the pw tricks of the trade ?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/15/08 at 9:27 am

Explain about having multiple windows at the ready, for a trigger happy response ?  Give them all the pw tricks of the trade ?
I have an idea...

Written By: Green Lantern on 02/15/08 at 9:35 am

I have an idea...

Go on, I'm interested, although very close to going to bed ...

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/15/08 at 9:37 am

Go on, I'm interested, although very close to going to bed ...
Watch out for your PM Inbox, but do not expect to receive it for a while yet.

Written By: Green Lantern on 02/15/08 at 9:39 am

Watch out for your PM Inbox, but do not expect to receive it for a while yet.

Ok ... as long as within ten minutes ?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/15/08 at 9:43 am

Ok ... as long as within ten minutes ?
It will take longer than that.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/15/08 at 9:46 am

Do you go directly to it ... ie, something like www.hotmail.com  (maybe with uk on end) ...or do you access it via something like 'Thunderbird' ?
They must have been reading here, it is up and running now...

...and I am waiting for the apolgy!

Written By: Howard on 02/15/08 at 2:59 pm

My hospital will be renovated the one where I volunteer in most likely will be completed by the fall of 2008.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/15/08 at 3:01 pm

They must have been reading here, it is up and running now...

...and I am waiting for the apolgy!
So far the aplogy has not arrive.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/15/08 at 4:16 pm

Took the hubby to the dentist WITHOUT an appointment.  I was so nervous (as I am totally not a rule-breaker).  :D  But he was in pain, and I've been calling for two days to MAKE an appointment and they never answered my calls.  But alas, I was worried for naught.  They squeezed him in and at the very least prescribed him antibiotics and mega doses of ibuprophen and gave him a proper appointment (over a month and a half away).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/15/08 at 5:21 pm

My husband bought me a red rose and something else happened today.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: adagio on 02/15/08 at 5:55 pm

Bought  a bunch of movies.  I usually don't do that.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/15/08 at 7:55 pm

It rained today / is raining today. That's kinda unusual for February... especially 2 days in a row.  :o

Written By: Green Lantern on 02/15/08 at 8:13 pm

Took the hubby to the dentist WITHOUT an appointment.  I was so nervous (as I am totally not a rule-breaker).  :D  But he was in pain, and I've been calling for two days to MAKE an appointment and they never answered my calls.  But alas, I was worried for naught.  They squeezed him in and at the very least prescribed him antibiotics and mega doses of ibuprophen and gave him a proper appointment (over a month and a half away).

That sounds terrible ! What kind of a health system have you got over there !  :-\\

I can't imagine I couldn't find a dentist somewhere here to see to it there and then (or at least, on the day) ? Not just anti-biotics, pain killers, but actually sort the problem out ? Well, if I'm in that pain, I ain't gonna be waiting around for weeks/ getting on for 2 MONTHS !!  ???  :-\\

Is it a matter of cost ? I'd say in this situation, raid your bank account, or go further afield to find someone to do it when YOU want !

Written By: adagio on 02/15/08 at 8:46 pm

That sounds terrible ! What kind of a health system have you got over there !  :-\\

I can't imagine I couldn't find a dentist somewhere here to see to it there and then (or at least, on the day) ? Not just anti-biotics, pain killers, but actually sort the problem out ? Well, if I'm in that pain, I ain't gonna be waiting around for weeks/ getting on for 2 MONTHS !!  ???  :-\\

Is it a matter of cost ? I'd say in this situation, raid your bank account, or go further afield to find someone to do it when YOU want !

Sometimes it's pretty bad, and may get worse...depending on the politician.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/15/08 at 10:14 pm

I can't imagine I couldn't find a dentist somewhere here to see to it there and then (or at least, on the day) ? Not just antibiotics, pain killers, but actually sort the problem out ? Well, if I'm in that pain, I ain't gonna be waiting around for weeks/ getting on for 2 MONTHS !!  ???  :-\\

Well that is just the way it is.  Hubby has health care at the VA hospital (Veterans Administration) and they are so totally swamped.  It's excellent care otherwise, just they have way way way too many patients and not enough doctors/hospital etc.  And it's only getting worse (busier and busier) with the number of vets coming out of the current war.  I have no complaints though since it's discounted (financially) but top quality care.  They did say that for me to keep calling them every couple of days to see if somebody might have cancelled their appointment and since we live reasonably close to the hospital we can just slide into the appointment given the chance.  Meanwhile our "official" appointment isn't until a month and a half away (if there is no cancellations before then). 

We won't get paid until Wednesday at earliest so if it gets much worse, yes finding a dentist is an option.  We live paycheck to paycheck and it's already spent before we even get it.

Written By: Green Lantern on 02/15/08 at 10:29 pm

Well that is just the way it is.  Hubby has health care at the VA hospital (Veterans Administration) and they are so totally swamped.  It's excellent care otherwise, just they have way way way too many patients and not enough doctors/hospital etc.  And it's only getting worse (busier and busier) with the number of vets coming out of the current war.  I have no complaints though since it's discounted (financially) but top quality care.  They did say that for me to keep calling them every couple of days to see if somebody might have cancelled their appointment and since we live reasonably close to the hospital we can just slide into the appointment given the chance.  Meanwhile our "official" appointment isn't until a month and a half away (if there is no cancellations before then). 

We won't get paid until Wednesday at earliest so if it gets much worse, yes finding a dentist is an option.  We live paycheck to paycheck and it's already spent before we even get it.

That does make things difficult then ... if you're so financially restricted ...  :(    ..... well,  :-\\  I'm suspecting if it's so bad, they'll probably find a way to accommodate your husband sooner, rather than later ...... (hopefully).

What is the exact diagnosis / procedure required ?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/15/08 at 10:50 pm

Don't know exactly, they had put a bridge in last year and apparently without taking this bridge out they won't be able to tell what's wrong.  They even took x-rays today but since the bridge is metal, nothing underneath the bridge came out on the x-ray.  The think that the tooth root (or whatever the technical term is called) is decaying.  I don't really know all the details, I try to avoid talking medical things with the hubby because I have a very weak gag reflex.  Unfortunately he has a big interest in medical details (he dated several nurses before he married me) and he loves to talk medical details.  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/pukey.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...