inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Infomercials

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/17/08 at 11:49 pm

So, it's the middle of the night and you can't sleep. You turn on the tube and flip through numerous channels, only to find that most are filled with infomercials. You semi cringe at the thought of some over zealous spokesperson attempting to sell a vacuum that most likely wouldn't pick up most dust, let alone the chocolate chips/pebbles/wood chips/etc. that the "amazing vacuum" is picking up during the infomercial, YET, for some reason...you find yourself SO intrigued that you CANNOT change the channel. Has this ever happened to you? Why is it that I can sit and literally watch the exact same infomercial over and over again? I guess I would classify my love for watching them as a guilty pleasure.

What are some of your favorites?

My favorite is the Magic Bullet. That blender thing that chops food real fast and you can also make neato drinks with it too.

I also really like the Midnight Special infomercial. Everytime I watch it, I feel very nostalgic and wish that I could turn back the clock at least 25-30 years.

Subject: Re: Infomercials

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/18/08 at 12:13 am

Here are some famous infomercials throughout the years, that I remember seeing:

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/1941/flowbeepn6.jpg

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/8183/chiapigzf9.jpg

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/6139/hmgdcutleryallginsuclasuk0.jpg

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/5889/magbulset1fa7.jpg

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/3166/nadsnhrg350gkv2.jpg

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/1528/image69sq5.jpg

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/2462/image74wl0.jpg

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTb_y7IblHNfwAXBWjzbkF/SIG=129t6cdkk/EXP=1203401531/**http%3A//lonestartimes.com/images/Bramanti/oxiclean.jpg

Written By: Red Ant on 02/18/08 at 12:34 am

The Ronco knife informercials are a guilty pleasure of mine.

Although I've never seen them on TV, the Will It Blend? commercials are great.

Ant

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/18/08 at 2:22 am

A few weeks back, I saw an infomercial late at night with two stunningly attractive women who were enthusiastically hawking adult sex toys. Needless to say I was quite shocked (though not entirely offended ;)), not only that they were advertising these on TV in the first place but at how intricately engineered and complex some of these devices actually were.

Apparently, not everyone who graduates from MIT with a degree in mechanical engineering gets to work for NASA or Boeing. Some of our best and brightest end up working for Amber's Erotic Novelties, Inc.  And if that's not bad enough, what are the R&D departments like in these places?!?

THESE PEOPLE COULD BE YOUR NEIGHBORS.  :o :o :o

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/18/08 at 2:24 am

A few weeks back, I saw an infomercial late at night with two stunningly attractive women who were enthusiastically hawking adult sex toys. Needless to say I was quite shocked (though not entirely offended ;)), not only that they were advertising these on TV in the first place but at how intricately engineered and complex some of these devices actually were.

Apparently, not everyone who graduates from MIT with a degree in mechanical engineering gets to work for NASA or Boeing. Some of our best and brightest end up working for Amber's Erotic Novelties, Inc.  And if that's not bad enough, what are the R&D departments like in these places?!?

THESE PEOPLE COULD BE YOUR NEIGHBORS.  :o :o :o

wow...now that's one that I have never seen! :D ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/18/08 at 2:28 am

wow...now that's one that I have never seen! :D ;D

Yeah, it kinda freaked me out a little. Not so much in a prudish way (because I'm not easily shocked), but more like the way I'd get freaked out when someone drops the F-bomb on live television.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/18/08 at 2:29 am

Yeah, it kinda freaked me out a little. Not so much in a prudish way (because I'm not easily shocked), but more like the way I'd get freaked out when someone drops the F-bomb on live television.

ya...like, WTF...did I just hear/see that right?! ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/18/08 at 2:53 am

I really like the "Will It Blend" videos. They don't show these on TV but they're all over YouTube.

What makes them so great is the cheesy (yet oddly soothing) 70's music, and how the guy who does all the videos is a bit of a goofball.  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtpFzMhGw_E

(I wanna see him blend some CO2 cartridges.)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/18/08 at 2:57 am

I really like the "Will It Blend" videos. They don't show these on TV but they're all over YouTube.

What makes them so great is the cheesy (yet oddly soothing) 70's music, and how the guy who does all the videos is a bit of a goofball.  ;D

OMG...that's....just...amazing!! I can't believe I've never heard of this guy before. I could literally watch these for hours! I think I might have just found a new guilty pleasure....move over Iron Chef! ;D

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 02/18/08 at 3:27 am

I have a true story, that involves "The Juiceman" Infomercial-

I moved from Sacramento to Oroville Thanksgiving, 1996.
I moved in with my sister, Shannon.

At the time I moved up here, I had literally been starving myself between a year to 1 1/2 yrs.
When I began eating again, my stomach bloated up to a point where I couldn't sit up, let alone stand up.
I slept in the living room, until I could find my own place.

So, one night I'm awake @ 3 AM. I was in so much pain that I couldn't sleep.
Shannon woke up, came out & stayed up with me, for a bit.
At the beginning of this particular Infomercial, I began to break wind.
This wouldn't be such a big deal, except.........it lasted the entire length of the Infomercial.

No joke! No matter what I tried, I could not stop farting!
It lasted an entire half hour. We had to open the windows & front door, when I finally stopped.
I couldn't sit for 3 days...literally. It hurt, soooooo bad.
As a rather permanent result, I have a slight paunch pocket that will never fully go away.

Have you ever tried to stop a powerful fart?
Lemme tell ya.....don't even try it!
No matter how tight your butt is, them cheeks only prove to make your butt an interesting musical instrument.
Something like, "Puh-weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettt"

-Yes, this story is authentic and true. No, I am not embellishing this in any way.
-Why am I sharing this somewhat embarrassing story? Well........someone suggested I try to get it into Guiness. (But would YOU want the record for "World's Longest Fart"?)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/18/08 at 3:36 am

At the time I moved up here, I had literally been starving myself between a year to 1 1/2 yrs.
When I began eating again, my stomach bloated up to a point where I couldn't sit up, let alone stand up.

This wouldn't be such a big deal, except.........it lasted the entire length of the Infomercial.

It lasted an entire half hour. We had to open the windows & front door, when I finally stopped.
As a rather permanent result, I have a slight paunch pocket that will never fully go away.

No matter how tight your butt is, them cheeks only prove to make your butt an interesting musical instrument.

-Yes, this story is authentic and true. No, I am not embellishing this in any way.
-Why am I sharing this somewhat embarrassing story? Well........someone suggested I try to get it into Guiness. (But would YOU want the record for "World's Longest Fart"?)

Da-yum.  :o :o :o

Maybe we ought to start calling you "Hawk The Ripper." 

(Sorry, I had to.  ;))

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/18/08 at 3:47 am

An infomercial length fart....that definitely IS a world's record!! ;D :D I bet you can't look at that infomercial the same anymore? BTW...does your sister still speak to you since this episode? ;D ;D

Written By: whistledog on 02/18/08 at 3:50 am

I never get tired of the Time Life infomercials ...

"Flower Power" w/ Peter Fonda
"Superstars of Country" w/ Kenny Rogers
"70s Music Explosion" w/ Barry Williams
"Country Roads" w/ Ralph Emery
"Lifetime of Romance" w/ Bobby Vinton
"Opry Video Classics" w/ Marty Stuart

Written By: Howard on 02/18/08 at 6:50 am

That is the most dumbest infomercial today,he'll blend just about anything around the house.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/18/08 at 10:59 am

That is the most dumbest infomercial today,he'll blend just about anything around the house.

oh, it's totally NOT dumb! I literally sat here for like 2 hours in the wee hours of the morning...watching every single "will it blend" commercial...EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM. I couldn't stop watching...I think I am addicted. :D

Written By: Green Lantern on 02/18/08 at 11:10 am

Yeah ... had a reasonable look through your posts ....

Time life mentioned by Whistledog .... we get those frequently here .... and the 'Midnight Special' one's Erin mentioned on opening. It's great to see these people SO young ... who's music became so intimate in your life.. almost takes you back to the time.  8)

Yeah, we also get a lot of less palatable infomercials such as 'Ab-cruncher', 'teeth whitening' .. 'Anthony Robbins'  8-P

Victoria Principal and her secrets of looking so young ...  ::)

These 'info' jobs generally go on for about half an hour or so at a time ! Talk about hard sell! Guess what .... you gotta get your credit card out RIGHT now .. if you want ... and  as a special bonus  .... (give me a break !  ;D ).

Written By: whistledog on 02/18/08 at 11:41 am

One infomercial I cannot stand is the infamous Peter Popoff.  I see that guy on TV, and honest to god, I wanna beat him until he bleeds.  But you know, whenever I see his infomercial, I watch it cause it's more hilarious than anything

Get yourself some Miracle Manna to go with your Miracle Spring Water :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/18/08 at 11:42 am

One infomercial I cannot stand is the infamous Peter Popoff.  I see that guy on TV, and honest to god, I wanna beat him until he bleeds.  But you know, whenever I see his infomercial, I watch it cause it's more hilarious than anything

Get yourself some Miracle Manna to go with your Miracle Spring Water :D

He and that Billy Mays guy should hook up...they are both annoying. :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/18/08 at 12:45 pm

I am really embarrassed to say this but there have been a few times when I have been suckered in by a infomercial. After I bought it, I thought, "What the hell was I thinking?  :-[ "

I do what the home shopping channels when they have coin shows and I must admit, that I have bought from them.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/22/09 at 11:15 pm

I discovered this website called: www.infomercialscams.com
I was literally looking through it for HOURs the other night! Anyway, it lists a TON of infamous infomercial products and people give reviews as to why they suck. LOL. This makes me glad that I didn't go ahead and buy that "PediPaws" nail trimmer. LOL! :P

Written By: whistledog on 02/22/09 at 11:24 pm

Alot of the products I see on TV, I now see in stores

I was at Canadian Tire today and saw the 'Magic Bullet' and Chef Tony's 'Miracle Blade set complete with the Rock N Chop' LOL

Written By: coqueta83 on 02/22/09 at 11:43 pm

I never get tired of the Time Life infomercials ...

"Flower Power" w/ Peter Fonda
"Superstars of Country" w/ Kenny Rogers
"70s Music Explosion" w/ Barry Williams
"Country Roads" w/ Ralph Emery
"Lifetime of Romance" w/ Bobby Vinton
"Opry Video Classics" w/ Marty Stuart

Oh, I just love those Time Life infomercials, too! I like the soft rock one with Air Supply, soul ballads with Peabo Bryson, and rock ballads with Kevin Cronin, along with the ones listed above. I love the Midnight Special infomercial as well.  :)

I was literally looking through it for HOURs the other night! Anyway, it lists a TON of infamous infomercial products and people give reviews as to why they suck. LOL. This makes me glad that I didn't go ahead and buy that "PediPaws" nail trimmer. LOL! :P

So many of those products have that "way too good to be true" vibe to them.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/22/09 at 11:55 pm

Oh, I just love those Time Life infomercials, too! I like the soft rock one with Air Supply, soul ballads with Peabo Bryson, and rock ballads with Kevin Cronin, along with the ones listed above. I love the Midnight Special infomercial as well.  :)

So many of those products have that "way too good to be true" vibe to them.

yes, and it's a shame how many people are truly ripped off by them.

Have you guys seen the SMC Commercials with Tom Bosley? That company TOTALLY has ripped off SO many people!

Written By: coqueta83 on 02/23/09 at 12:18 am

yes, and it's a shame how many people are truly ripped off by them.

Have you guys seen the SMC Commercials with Tom Bosley? That company TOTALLY has ripped off SO many people!

I think I caught a brief glimpse of that infomercial while channel surfing late one night. For one company to rip off so many people is so horrible!  :(

Written By: Howard on 02/23/09 at 5:43 am

How about those Shamwows?

Written By: Dagwood on 02/23/09 at 8:04 am

My sister bought a PediPaw and it scares her dogs.  The funny thing is, right after she bought it from tv, I started seeing them in the stores.  ::)

Written By: Dagwood on 02/23/09 at 8:13 am

My mother bought me some for Christmas.  They are not as good as the infomercial says they are.

Written By: karen on 02/23/09 at 9:15 am

Alot of the products I see on TV, I now see in stores

I was at Canadian Tire today and saw the 'Magic Bullet' and Chef Tony's 'Miracle Blade set complete with the Rock N Chop' LOL

CVS sell a lot of those 'as seen on tv' things.

My son is mad on infomercials.  Yesterday morning he was shouting about something I had to come and see (I was in bed at the time).  It was an advert for some amazing vacuum cleaner that uses water and it only costs $199.99  ::)  And then at dinner time he was telling us to buy our health insurance through some company because "it costs only $5 a day"

Written By: Howard on 02/23/09 at 2:53 pm

My mother bought me some for Christmas.  They are not as good as the infomercial says they are.

http://whispersofelyk.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/sham-wow.jpg

Can you trust this guy?^

Written By: Dagwood on 02/23/09 at 2:58 pm

Hell no, he is creepy.

Written By: Howard on 02/23/09 at 3:30 pm

Hell no, he is creepy.

and what's with the thing on his head? Who is he talking to?

Written By: Dagwood on 02/23/09 at 3:53 pm

and what's with the thing on his head? Who is he talking to?

I don't know.  Could it be........SATAN?

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk172/dagnyr/church_lady.jpg

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/23/09 at 4:20 pm

I swear that infomercials have subliminal messages that draw you in. Everytime one is on..I simply cannot turn the channel. :o

Written By: whistledog on 02/24/09 at 12:47 am

They sell those in actual stores now

Written By: Howard on 02/24/09 at 5:37 am

They sell those in actual stores now

Are they any good?  ???

Check for new replies or respond here...