inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Has Anyone Used A Metal Detector?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/19/08 at 4:58 pm

I'm sure almost everyone here knows that I collect coins. I have heard these stories about people finding rare coins using a metal detector as well as other interesting (and valuable?) objects. So, Carlos and I decided to venture into this. So, now we are in the market to get one. I am hoping that there is someone here who can give us some advice about which one(s) are good ones-what ones to stay away from, etc, etc. Any advice anyone can give us would be great.

Thanks

Cat

Subject: Re: Has Anyone Used A Metal Detector?

Written By: gemini on 02/19/08 at 5:05 pm

My brother had one wayyyyyyy back in the '70s. It was fun just to mess around with.  I don't remember him ever finding anything exciting though.

Written By: Howard on 02/19/08 at 5:57 pm

I still have mine and I haven't used it in many years,just collecting dust.

Written By: Bobo on 02/19/08 at 7:27 pm

I still have mine and I haven't used it in many years,just collecting dust.

Howard, why would you look for dust with a metal detector?!  :-\\

Written By: Red Ant on 02/19/08 at 8:49 pm

I'm sure almost everyone here knows that I collect coins. I have heard these stories about people finding rare coins using a metal detector as well as other interesting (and valuable?) objects. So, Carlos and I decided to venture into this. So, now we are in the market to get one. I am hoping that there is someone here who can give us some advice about which one(s) are good ones-what ones to stay away from, etc, etc. Any advice anyone can give us would be great.

Thanks

Cat

My friend Steve is a Civil War relic hunter. He's got MineLab and Nautilus metal detectors. He said the MineLab is like a "computer on a stick", and has a programming book the size of a phone book. It's overkill really...

I asked him what his recommendations were, and he said that cheap (like Radio Shack) metal detectors would probably disappoint you quickly. He also said that quality used metal detectors aren't a bad idea. He mentioned one by White called "Coin Master", but said he never used it himself.

As for coins/jewelry:  beaches, parks and playgrounds would be good starting points.

I know another guy, Robbie, who hunts for relics as well. I'm not sure what he uses, but I do recall when he used it around our house he dug up several nails and not much else (this neighborhood was once a Civil War battlefield).

Ant

Written By: Howard on 02/20/08 at 7:30 am

Howard, why would you look for dust with a metal detector?!  :-\\

No I haven't used it in such a long time that it's getting dusty.

Written By: wsmith4 on 02/20/08 at 9:19 am

No I haven't used it in such a long time that it's getting dusty.

::)

Written By: Green Lantern on 02/20/08 at 9:29 am

Reckon I 've met-all detectors in existence ?  ???  :-\\  :P  :D

Written By: Gis on 02/20/08 at 11:40 am

What is the law like on detecting? In the U.K you have to have the land owners permission to use one or you get in big trouble.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/20/08 at 12:19 pm

My friend Steve is a Civil War relic hunter. He's got MineLab and Nautilus metal detectors. He said the MineLab is like a "computer on a stick", and has a programming book the size of a phone book. It's overkill really...

I asked him what his recommendations were, and he said that cheap (like Radio Shack) metal detectors would probably disappoint you quickly. He also said that quality used metal detectors aren't a bad idea. He mentioned one by White called "Coin Master", but said he never used it himself.

As for coins/jewelry:  beaches, parks and playgrounds would be good starting points.

I know another guy, Robbie, who hunts for relics as well. I'm not sure what he uses, but I do recall when he used it around our house he dug up several nails and not much else (this neighborhood was once a Civil War battlefield).

Ant

Thanks for the info. I was doing a little research on-line yesterday and came across a bunch of reviews for the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV. It seems that most of the reviews were on the positive side. And it also seems to be one of the cheapest ones, too (under $100). If you could ask your friend if he knows anything about this one, that would be great.

What is the law like on detecting? In the U.K you have to have the land owners permission to use one or you get in big trouble.

I'm not too sure exactly what it is here but it would make sense if it was on private property, than the owner would have to give permission but I don't think that is necessary on public property.

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/20/08 at 2:23 pm

My brother had one wayyyyyyy back in the '70s. It was fun just to mess around with.  I don't remember him ever finding anything exciting though.

My brother had one back then, too...and I remember the two of us taking it down to the beach near us and searching for coins dropped by sunbathers, etc.  It was fun!  :D

Check for new replies or respond here...