inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Smite! part deux

Written By: Tia on 03/03/08 at 3:51 pm

if you think we should bring back smite, vote once for what you want to call it, and then vote again for whether or not you think it should be anonymous.

Subject: Re: Smite! part deux

Written By: Jessica on 03/03/08 at 3:58 pm

Postwhore. :)

Written By: Tia on 03/03/08 at 3:59 pm

Postwhore. :)
smite! >:(

i had to start a new thread cuz the add poll option wouldnt let me do the multiple vote option.

Written By: Jessica on 03/03/08 at 4:00 pm

smite! >:(

Oh yeah, smite me harder baby.

I voted. I don't want it anonymous. I want to get evil PMs whining about why I smited them so I can laugh in their faces (sort of).

Written By: Midas on 03/03/08 at 5:17 pm

Spank unanonymouses!

Written By: Dagwood on 03/03/08 at 6:14 pm

I voted no, keep it positive.  I don't want anyone to hurt my feel bads.

Written By: ladybug316 on 03/03/08 at 6:58 pm

I voted no, keep it positive.  I don't want anyone to hurt my feel bads.
I'm with you!  I don't want anyone to hurt my feel bads either  ;)

Written By: Tam on 03/03/08 at 11:16 pm

if you think we should bring back smite, vote once for what you want to call it, and then vote again for whether or not you think it should be anonymous.

You are definitely a postwhore in the fullest sense of the word!!!! ;D ;D 8)

Written By: Red Ant on 03/04/08 at 12:24 am

Smite exists (as "poke") on the adult sister board to this one. It hasn't seen much action there.

The way it works there is a split between karma and smite totals: i.e and e.g., +16/-2. If a member changes their mind within the refresh time for giving karma (there it's 12 hours), the totals and karma log change to reflect that. In other words, if you smite karmaless random member and then karma them within 12 hours, their total will look like 0/-1 and then 1/0, respectively, and the karma log will only show the karma action. After the 'change your mind' interval has passed (24 hours here, I assume), smite totals cannot be undone by giving karma.

I'm against smite as an option here because enabling it is likely to create a LOT more work for the moderators.  Seeing as how I'm a moderator, I hope you all can understand where I'm coming from (from where I'm coming? - the first is grammatically incorrect, ending a sentence with a preposition - the second sounds dirty. Oh dear, I've typed out all of this inside parentheses... I'm hosed now!  :D)

Karma is given for all different reasons, but smiting has limited use in my opinion. If you (whomever "you" are) have a reason to get upset with another member enough to smite them, maybe it's time to take a deep breath, count backwards from ten trillion to one, and then try to remember why you wanted to smite them in the first place.

Psychobabble aside, I'd rather see everyone get along. Since that is a pipe dream, taking it to PMs or saying what you want to say on open boards (within the confines of the forum rules), then moving on are better options to me. Disagreements between members are not against the rules. Continued open board problems... well, I think most of you know where that can lead...

Getting smitten is not the end of the world any more than getting karma will bring someone a pot of gold, but I see smite as too problematic.

Also, rather than smiting someone, one could give karma to the other 1100+ members, minus the person they want to smite.  ;D

Besides, if anyone smit me (what is the past tense of "smite" anyway?), I'd wipe out all of their karma.  ;D

(I kid about that of course).

The mods have tossed around all kinds of ideas for member issues from smite to a 'rants and flames' thread to even...

THE ARENA!

The latter was a short lived idea on NP that few saw. Here are the rules that came with it:

*Before starting any new threads/topics in The Arena, you must post in this thread and acknowledge that you have read, understood and agree these rules, terms, conditions and possible consequences!*

This board is only for member disputes on NP. I hope we don't have any, but if we do, rather than me settle arguments for you via nastygrams, you can have it out with each other, here.

In addition to the site rules , there are two rules for The Arena:

1) Absolutely no flaming of members who don't post in The Arena (in other words, no trashing people who can't or won't defend themselves or are unaware that they are being flamed).

2) Absolutely no carrying back any flaming to the "other" messageboard or general boards of NP

Violating either of these two additional rules is grounds for an immediate ban.

If you choose to step into the Arena, you may wind up being food for the lions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harsh, eh?

Ant

Written By: Tam on 03/04/08 at 12:38 am

Getting smitten is not the end of the world any more than getting karma will bring someone a pot of gold, but I see smite as too problematic.

Ant

Right.
Here's where I see the problem:

Apparently karma is just as big of a deal as post count. Smiting would lower karma count, and thus some people may get upset over the loss of karma.
I don't want to be a referee, trying to find out who smited whom, why and for what. Trivial stuff to me and a giant PITA.

Sidenote: wouldn't it be cool though if only the Mods had smite buttons, so you could smite the mods every single day? That would ROCK! ;D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/04/08 at 12:49 am

Once smitten twice sly?  er no....that's not how that song goes.

I prefer positiveness, so no smite for me.  Guess that makes me one of those flower children or something.  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/hippy.gif

Although I do like having my hubby smitten over/about me  ;)

Written By: Tam on 03/04/08 at 12:52 am

Once smitten twice sly?  er no....that's not how that song goes.

I prefer positiveness, so no smite for me.  Guess that makes me one of those flower children or something.   http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/hippy.gif

Although I do like having my hubby smitten over/about me  ;)

Thanks for the laugh Girl! ;D ;) 8)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/04/08 at 3:05 am

Fact is, there ain't gonna be no smite action,  but I think the spank could be fun, I would gladly trade my karma for spanks http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S02042EM1HTR0BthmjzbkF/SIG=12plfcmft/EXP=1204707766/**http%3A//www.100megsfree3.com/fwc493/SmileyDirectory5/F/BulletSpank.gif

Written By: Howard on 03/04/08 at 6:22 am

What's a smite? ???

Written By: KKay on 03/04/08 at 6:24 am

HARSH!

(that's my suggestion....get that image out, Mike)

Written By: karen on 03/04/08 at 8:30 am

HARSH!

Ooh and we could have that picture of the cat being slapped by the cop.

Written By: Tia on 03/04/08 at 8:30 am

Ooh and we could have that picture of the cat being slapped by the cop.
alas, i've lost that picture. :(

Written By: Jessica on 03/04/08 at 9:51 am

I'm against smite as an option here because enabling it is likely to create a LOT more work for the moderators.

Ant

That's why I'd like it to NOT be anonymous, sorta like a smite log or something. If someone smites you, and you get your panties in a wad over it, then you can PM them and figure out why you were smited (smote? smut?). Maybe it would be something that is easily resolved. Maybe it was a joke.

Right.
Here's where I see the problem:

Apparently karma is just as big of a deal as post count. Smiting would lower karma count, and thus some people may get upset over the loss of karma.

Karma shouldn't be a big deal. Unless it's going to change your life or give you money, it doesn't mean s**t. Same goes for smiting someone. Not a big deal. And if you're basing your life on karma from a messageboard....well then, you probably need to get outdoors more. ;D

alas, i've lost that picture. :(

I have it.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o283/Nerdprincess1980/3yy4aky.jpg

Written By: Tia on 03/04/08 at 10:00 am

the best thing about that picture is that dude in the background doing his "oh the humanity!" doubletake. ;D

i guess in this instance it would be "oh the felinity."

sorry, that was bad. self-smite.

Written By: karen on 03/04/08 at 10:01 am

I have it.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o283/Nerdprincess1980/3yy4aky.jpg

An Error Has Occurred!
Sorry, you can't repeat a karma action without waiting 24 hours. 

Written By: Tam on 03/04/08 at 11:31 am

Karma shouldn't be a big deal. Unless it's going to change your life or give you money, it doesn't mean s**t. Same goes for smiting someone. Not a big deal. And if you're basing your life on karma from a messageboard....well then, you probably need to get outdoors more. ;D

You took the words right out of my mouth!
8)

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/04/08 at 12:38 pm

Sidenote: wouldn't it be cool though if only the Mods had smite buttons, so you could smite the mods every single day? That would ROCK! ;D

it's permissionable based on role, so I could set it up so only the mods could use it to smite others.

Written By: Tia on 03/04/08 at 12:42 pm

it's permissionable based on role, so I could set it up so only the mods could use it to smite others.
i was toying with the idea of suggesting an opt-in -- those who want a smite button on their profile can express their willingness to have one added. or ideally, there could be a checkbox in your profile so if you find yourself in the butt end of a smitefest you could change your mind at will, but i dunno if that's do-able with the software.

Written By: Midas on 03/04/08 at 12:51 pm

i was toying with the idea of suggesting an opt-in -- those who want a smite button on their profile can express their willingness to have one added. or ideally, there could be a checkbox in your profile so if you find yourself in the butt end of a smitefest you could change your mind at will, but i dunno if that's do-able with the software.

There was a similar feature on one messageboard I'm a part of, but the opt-out was for members to opt out of karma altogether (applause and smite).

Written By: Tia on 03/04/08 at 12:54 pm

There was a similar feature on one messageboard I'm a part of, but the opt-out was for members to opt out of karma altogether (applause and smite).
oo i like that. that would be cool.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/05/08 at 9:14 am

oo i like that. that would be cool.

it would have to be a modification.  It might already exist, but I would hold off until the new version of the software comes out.  Probably be awhile before that happens.

Written By: thereshegoes on 03/26/08 at 10:40 am

Ladies and gentleman get excited! SMITE CLUB is coming to town!

Are you tired of all the kumbaya? Do you want to let off some steam? Did you ever wanted to be at first place...in anything?

This is the place to do it and this are the SMITE CLUB rules:

1st rule: You do not talk about the Smite Club…in any other thread.

2nd rule: Smite is the way you express your distaste for a fellow inthe00s member post,it will be the opposite of karma. You cannot smite yourself.

3rd rule: You can only smite someone once a day.

4th rule: When you want to smite someone you make a post in the Smite Club thread,e.g. "thereshegoes smites Chucky G.". About once a week i'll try to do a count and post a SMITELOG.

5th rule: You can smite anyone you want but you can only explain why on the thread if that person agreed to participate.

6th rule: If you didn't agreed to be part of this you cannot smite or post asking why you were smited.

7th rule: If you participate you get to confront the ones who smited you any way you like but don't forget the general boards rules.Go read them.

8th rule: There will be a thread with all the members of the Smite Club that will be constantly updated so everyone knows who the brave ones are.

Once I have at least 10 people wanting to play i'll start the threads
Now…who's in and who's out?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/26/08 at 10:42 am

I wanna play!  But I don't read the board all that much really so I'd be hard-pressed to find someone to smite unless you point them out to me...

Written By: thereshegoes on 03/26/08 at 10:45 am

I wanna play!  But I don't read the board all that much really so I'd be hard-pressed to find someone to smite unless you point them out to me...

believe me you're gonna find someone smite worthy everyday :D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/26/08 at 10:45 am

Nice, but I can't smite myself ALL the time :D

Written By: Tia on 03/26/08 at 10:46 am

I'd be hard-pressed to find someone to smite unless you point them out to me...
i'll handle that. :D

i'm in! smite me long time, baby!

Written By: Jessica on 03/26/08 at 10:48 am

I'm in!

Written By: thereshegoes on 03/26/08 at 10:50 am

Nice, but I can't smite myself ALL the time :D

oh oh i forgot! You cannot smite yourself. Let me put it on the rules.

Written By: Tia on 03/26/08 at 10:51 am

http://images.cafepress.com/product/84551479v3_150x150_Front_Color-Black.JPG

Written By: thereshegoes on 03/26/08 at 10:54 am

http://images.cafepress.com/product/84551479v3_150x150_Front_Color-Black.JPG

Cool,i want one!

Written By: Howard on 03/27/08 at 6:28 am

Me so Smitey,me smite you long time. ;D

Written By: KKay on 03/27/08 at 8:00 am

is the past tense 'smote"?

Written By: Midas on 03/27/08 at 11:26 am

Smit-smat-smote!  :D

I really don't know. :P  Somebody smite me!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/27/08 at 11:56 am

I kinda like the *zap* thing.  It's a bit like tazing, only you recover.

Written By: Tia on 03/27/08 at 11:58 am

i would like to take this opportunity to smite everyone who said "let's keep it positive." you know who you are. >:(

Written By: Tam on 03/27/08 at 2:19 pm

Smit-smat-smote!  :D

I really don't know. :P  Somebody smite me!

Consider it done!!!!! ;D
Midas has been smitten!! :o For whom I wonder? ;D

Written By: Midas on 03/27/08 at 2:24 pm

Consider it done!!!!! ;D
Midas has been smitten!! :o For whom I wonder? ;D

;D

They know who they are.  8)

Written By: Howard on 03/27/08 at 2:49 pm

or "smoot",or "smeet". ;D

Written By: KKay on 03/27/08 at 3:20 pm

whack

Check for new replies or respond here...