inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do You Remember...Your First Day Of School?

Written By: thereshegoes on 03/13/08 at 5:07 pm

I remember crying a lot 'cause i didn't want to go and putting on real shoes for the first time that gave me blisters for a month...Thinking all the kids were mean and stupid but the lady teacher was nice. And hiding behind a tree at recess to suck on my thumb without anyone noticing,which i kept doing on and off until i was at least 10 years old.

Subject: Re: Do You Remember...Your First Day Of School?

Written By: Dagwood on 03/13/08 at 6:05 pm

I remember begging my dad not to make me go.  He was a single dad so I promised if I didn't have to go I would stay home and cook and clean for him. ;D

Written By: Jessica on 03/13/08 at 6:29 pm

I don't remember, but my mom has said often enough that while she was crying and not wanting to let me go, I was trying to make her go because I wanted to be there. :D

Written By: whistledog on 03/13/08 at 6:40 pm

Depends on which school?  Baby School?  Kindergarten?  It's been so long, I barely remember the first day, but I do have recollections of certain times in Kindergarten

There used to be this big castle that the kids could play in, but for some reason, the teacher would never let me play in it not once, whereas all the other kids could.  I don't remember if I ever said anything to my parents about that.  Looking back, I should've forced myself into that castle and just wrecked it so no one else could enjoy it ;D

Written By: ninny on 03/13/08 at 7:30 pm

I don't remember my first day,but I do remember my teacher telling my mom,that I was a nice young girl,who needs to nap during nap time and not bother the other students by talking.I also remember sucking my thumb when I was nervous till I was12

Written By: Bobby on 03/13/08 at 8:41 pm

I do remember it. In my first day at primary school, I cried all day and was the only boy in shorts.  :-[

Written By: Dagwood on 03/13/08 at 8:51 pm

I don't remember, but my mom has said often enough that while she was crying and not wanting to let me go, I was trying to make her go because I wanted to be there. :D

That was Sarah.  She went into class and didn't look back.  I cried all the way home.

Written By: Brian06 on 03/13/08 at 9:01 pm

I remember my first day of 1st grade, well I remember when it was Wednesday, August 25, 1993. I don't really remember much specific from that particular day, I do remember quite a bit of things about first grade in general. I remember what my books and backpack looked like. I remember my teachers names pretty much and most of the kids in my class. I remember what room number I was (105), and where my room was. The big thing I wanted in first grade was a computer after playing with the ones in school. I remember they were having this contest or something where they were giving away one of the old Apple computers from the lab and I wanted it so bad, of course I didn't win...but for Christmas in 1993 I got that first computer that I longed for lol. I didn't go to kindergarten, I scored good enough on a certain test I guess so I didn't need to go. I also remember my pre-k graduation.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/13/08 at 9:35 pm

Well in pre-school, I guess I was bad, and nearly got kicked out. Hahahaha..innocent little me.

Kindergarten was fun...I was all about being there.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/13/08 at 9:45 pm

I only have very snippety memories of things I did in preschool and Kindergarden. Like I can remember a few things that happened or the other kids, or the ride there and back...but nothing really in total detail.

I started Elementary school around my 6th birthday in 1987 and I do remember not fitting too well into it. I talked with a few of the other kids, but found it sort of scary, being in that environment for the first time, with thirty kids and only one teacher. I was kinda overwhelmed, so not too long after that my parents decided to enroll me in a private school. I stayed there for 2 and a half years...and even though it was a little different and smaller in class size, I had some cool times there. I could tell lots of stories lol, but I'll do it later.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 03/14/08 at 10:22 am

OK I have to really think here - I had ummmmm 18 first days of school in grade 1, 3 first days of school in grade 6, 1 first day of school in year 8, and 1 first day of school in year 11.

I may have missed a few but that comes to 23 school changes in 11 years !

Some i remember but most are a complete blur. And most of the schools are a blur. I was told I was a very confident 6 year old who usually left mum at the gate and walked to the headmasters office alone and introduced myself as a new student!

One thing I do remember was that I always announced that it was my birthday on friday - cos that meant cake !

Written By: Tia on 03/14/08 at 11:17 am

i dont remember it but i'm told i got sent home for pulling on a girl's pigtails. i must have thought she was kim richards.

Written By: karen on 03/14/08 at 11:42 am

I can remember waiting in line outside the head mistresses office to meet her and then we went into the school hall to be sorted into a our class groups.  I was in room 4 with Mrs Winson and I had to sit on the squirrel table.

I couldn't say specifically what else we did that day but I can remember some of the toys and games we had.

Written By: Howard on 03/14/08 at 12:44 pm

I remember my first day of school,September of 1988 and I was very nervous at first but I got situated as the years went by.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/14/08 at 1:49 pm

I remember my first day of school,September of 1988 and I was very nervous at first but I got situated as the years went by.

you didn't go to school until 1988? :o ???

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/14/08 at 7:47 pm

I don't remember my first day, my Mom does though.  The teacher told her I had a speech impediment and she was going to have me see the speech therapist. (I couldn't pronounce the "R" sound)  Mom said she was about to deck her one. ;D

Written By: coqueta83 on 03/14/08 at 7:49 pm

I actually have some memories of my first day of preschool, Fall 1982. I recall being a little scared, but once I saw all the colored blocks in the classroom I knew it wasn't going to be all that bad. (I couldn't wait to get my hands on those blocks!  :D).

The first day of kindergarten, Fall 1983, was a little scary as well. I remember this boy was crying so hard he went into hysterics. Poor thing! Anyway, a lot of my early childhood friendships formed in kindergarten and I loved the many activities we did in that class. The Halloween and Christmas parties were a blast!  :D

Written By: Davester on 03/14/08 at 10:23 pm

I don't remember my first day, my Mom does though.  The teacher told her I had a speech impediment and she was going to have me see the speech therapist. (I couldn't pronounce the "R" sound)  Mom said she was about to deck her one. ;D

I definatlely don't remember my first day of school, but the speech therapy thing I can relate to...

I think it was the 2nd/3rd grade I had to go to a special class, either every day or once a week to work on the "S" sound.  I was thounding like Thindy Brady pronounthing my ethes like thith..."

Written By: Gis on 03/15/08 at 5:52 am

My first day at school was horrible. I had never been to kindergarten or anything so from spending all day at home with just my mum I got thrust in a room with 30 other children.  :o  I settled in after I got over the culture shock. I remember my first day at secondary school (age 11) we had just moved to a new area and so I didn't know anyone. I sat at a 4 seat desk hopeingsomeone would sit next to me but noone did  :-[
Eventually the girl who became my best friend at school asked me to go and sit with her. 

Written By: Howard on 03/15/08 at 6:40 am

you didn't go to school until 1988? :o ???

No, High School September 1988-June 1992 then after that I attended vocational workshops for the next 15 years.

Written By: Spirit of 76 on 03/15/08 at 3:20 pm

Oddly I don't remember my first day but I do remember the night before entering Kindergarten.

Written By: thereshegoes on 03/16/08 at 10:22 am

My first day at school was horrible. I had never been to kindergarten or anything so from spending all day at home with just my mum I got thrust in a room with 30 other children.  :o  I settled in after I got over the culture shock. I remember my first day at secondary school (age 11) we had just moved to a new area and so I didn't know anyone. I sat at a 4 seat desk hopeingsomeone would sit next to me but noone did  :-[
Eventually the girl who became my best friend at school asked me to go and sit with her.   

I can relate...before first grade all i did was play outside and cause trouble. Most of the kids at my school had been there since they were 3 so i always felt out of place. Eventually i started to make friends by playing football with the boys.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/16/08 at 12:25 pm

Nope...it was too long ago!  :-[

Written By: robby76 on 03/17/08 at 6:04 am

I was too petrified to cry! I went to a big school in the city. Luckily my older brother was there too, so it wasn't too bad.

I do remember bawling my eyes out going to my first day at kindergarten. I clearly remember being forced into the neighbour's car. Can't remember the rest of the day though - just the leaving home bit.  :\'(

Written By: Midas on 03/18/08 at 11:45 am

Don't remember the first day of kindergarten although I remember the school and how the classroom was set up.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/03/08 at 4:17 pm

Yes I can, at primary school seeing all the other children that would become good buddies of mine.

Written By: gibbo on 04/05/08 at 8:53 am

My first day was traumatic...first time away from home and Mum. I cried when Mum left me there and then ran way after lunch. The Head teacher/Nun happened to glance out the door at the precise time I made a run for it and she sent my older sister (she was teaching her at the time) and her friend out to retrieve me. I had to sit between them (they were in grade 4) for the remainder of the afternoon so I couldn't get away.

It was raining after school and I was suppossed to wait for Dad to pick us up (my sister and I ) but I decided to walk home (about 2.5 miles) by myself in the rain. I walked in the gutters to see which colour on my socks the water would come up to. Should have taken my shoes off .... Mum put them in the oven to dry them and they turned up at the toes ...like elf shoes.

All rather pathetic now when I look back....... :D ;D

Written By: thereshegoes on 04/05/08 at 9:58 am

My first day was traumatic...first time away from home and Mum. I cried when Mum left me there and then ran way after lunch. The Head teacher/Nun happened to glance out the door at the precise time I made a run for it and she sent my older sister (she was teaching her at the time) and her friend out to retrieve me. I had to sit between them (they were in grade 4) for the remainder of the afternoon so I couldn't get away.

It was raining after school and I was suppossed to wait for Dad to pick us up (my sister and I ) but I decided to walk home (about 2.5 miles) by myself in the rain. I walked in the gutters to see which colour on my socks the water would come up to. Should have taken my shoes off .... Mum put them in the oven to dry them and they turned up at the toes ...like elf shoes.

That was funny  ;D

Do you guys remember your first teacher name? Mine was Maria da Paz she was really sweet to all of us but she was specially found of this boy named Pedrinho who all us girls crushed on. She was always sending him get her stuff from the Cafeteria during class 'cause she was always eating,he would bring a pack of ships and a coca cola can at least 3 times a day,now that i think about it she was a little weird :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/06/08 at 4:06 am

...on the return to school an escape tunnel was planned.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/06/08 at 5:27 am

My sister, who is a year older, had our first day of school together in kindergarten, I was all for it until she started crying, so I started crying.  All I can remember is feeling bad that my sister was sad.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/06/08 at 6:02 am

My sister, who is a year older, had our first day of school together in kindergarten, I was all for it until she started crying, so I started crying.  All I can remember is feeling bad that my sister was sad.
So school is a bad place after all?

Written By: danootaandme on 04/06/08 at 6:07 am

So school is a bad place after all?

I can't say that I ever really fit in well, at all  ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/25/08 at 1:27 am

I can't remember my first day back in 1961, but I do remember our halloween party at school, I was so excited to wear my devil costume  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/fifevil.gif

Written By: Howard on 04/25/08 at 6:45 am

I can remember my last day of High School June 25th 1992.

Written By: MLB on 04/27/08 at 5:27 pm

sometime in September 1979, I don't exactly remember meeting everyone and all that but I remember what I wore!  A homemade skirt  blue and orange and powder blue pinstripes and matching vest with a little powder blue blouse and these um, well, platform maryjanes??  It was only an inch or2 probably? The heels on the shoes were sort of rubbery but it looked crackley like cork or uneven pavement  but I LOVED those shoes!!  Oh, and I had a metal lunchbox....green edges with the Sesame Street Characters smiling and waving.

Check for new replies or respond here...