inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: OK, now that made me laugh ...

Written By: whistledog on 03/17/08 at 2:47 pm

Have you ever seen those ads on TV for the 'Package Shark'?  It's a little tool with a blade that is designed for opening those plastic sealed packages that things like shavers, portable CD players, etc usually come in. 

http://www.asseenontvguys.com/Productimages/PACKAGE_SHARK_PACKAGE_OPENER.jpg

So I saw one in the stores today, and guess what?  The Package Shark comes in a plastic package that would require the Package Shark to open ;D

That made me laugh.  So what made you laugh?

Subject: Re: OK, now that made me laugh ...

Written By: Davester on 03/17/08 at 3:33 pm

That CD opening thingee...I have one of those.  Says "Tower Records" on it...

ANYWAY...Well, not laugh exactly, but more like a knowing smile (used to be a laugh, though) - A college english professor we had called our attention to the oft used blurb "free gift" in TV and print ads.  Since then my girlfriend and I, if we hear the blurb on TV, will start shouting, "freegiftfreegiftfreegiftfreegift..!" 

Free gift.  You know, it's the free gift alarm.  It's been a tradition of ours since 1994...

Written By: Dagwood on 03/17/08 at 3:49 pm

Sounds like a local trade school.  They say that when you sign up you get a laptop to use that you get to keep when you graduate like it is the best thing in the world.  I wonder how many people realize that it is just going to be worked into their tuition.

Written By: Howard on 03/17/08 at 4:24 pm

Those things you see on television from those infomercials all day long. ;D

Written By: Red Ant on 03/17/08 at 5:16 pm

The first time I got the following phone call, I laughed:

"The warranty on your vehicle is about to expire. Please stay on the line for..."

The warranty on my truck (a '94 model) expired quite some time ago.

Too funny about the Package Shark, Jason.

Ant

Written By: whistledog on 03/17/08 at 5:58 pm

Here's something that really made me laugh .. When I was in college, I had this english teacher who was a little strange.  One day he came into the classroom, and his shoes were making this squeaking sound, so he went on for about 10 minutes as to why they squeaked.  And just to see if anyone was paying attention that day, he threw it on as a surprise bonus question on a test ;D

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 03/18/08 at 12:22 am

My father-in-law sent me a note about "The Thermodynamics Of Hell".

Apparently, this was actually turned in on a Final, on a College course.

Anyone interested? I still have it- I can put it on, if y'all wish.

Written By: KKay on 03/18/08 at 7:39 am

that was great. i find packaging is often silly.

i found some of these: labels and signs

On Nytol Sleep Aid:
Warning: May cause drowsiness.

On most brands of Christmas lights:
For indoor or outdoor use only.

On a Japanese food processor:
Not to be used for the other use.

On Sainsbury's peanuts:
Warning: Contains nuts.

On an American Airlines packet of nuts:
Instructions: open packet, eat nuts.

On a child's Superman costume:
Wearing of this garment does not enable you to fly.

On a Swedish chain saw:
Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals.

On a toboggan:
Beware: Sledge may develop high speed under certain snow conditions.

On a knife sharpener:
Caution: knives are sharp.

On shin pads for cyclists:
Shin guards cannot protect any part of the body they do not cover.

On a take away coffee cup:
Caution: Hot beverages are hot.

Emergency safety procedures at a US summer camp:
In case of flood, proceed uphill. In case of flash flood proceed uphill quickly.

In a microwave oven manual:
Do not use for drying pets.

On the back of a pilot's seat in a Nato aircraft:
Seat must be facing forward for take-off and landing.

Written By: Tia on 03/18/08 at 8:35 am

Have you ever seen those ads on TV for the 'Package Shark'?  It's a little tool with a blade that is designed for opening those plastic sealed packages that things like shavers, portable CD players, etc usually come in. 

http://www.asseenontvguys.com/Productimages/PACKAGE_SHARK_PACKAGE_OPENER.jpg

So I saw one in the stores today, and guess what?  The Package Shark comes in a plastic package that would require the Package Shark to open ;D

That made me laugh.  So what made you laugh?
reminds me of a particularly clever ellen degeneres bit...

"18) So, I bought a new cd and I was trying to get it open but couldn’t with all the layers. I mean plastic and then tape and the tape is like government tape. It says open here.. Is that sarcasm?, and buy batteries and they are in there with layers and layers of cardboard and then scissors….you need scissors to get into scissors, what if you were buying them for the first time? you wouldn’t be able to get them open. Then you try and buy a light bulb and it’s this thin thin cardboard …..what are they thinking? “Ohh they’ll be fine”."

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 03/18/08 at 8:52 am

Then there's Lily Tomlin's bits:

"Yesterday, I went to the store and bought a wastebasket.
They put the wastebasket in a plastic bag....and when I got home, I put the plastic bag in the wastebasket."

"With the chemicals we use today, I worry that H2O is no longer the composition for water."

"You realize that feminists wonder if 'the Big Bang' theory is just another macho concept."

Written By: snozberries on 03/18/08 at 11:21 am

that was great. i find packaging is often silly.

i found some of these: labels and signs

On Nytol Sleep Aid:
Warning: May cause drowsiness.

On most brands of Christmas lights:
For indoor or outdoor use only.

On a Japanese food processor:
Not to be used for the other use.

On Sainsbury's peanuts:
Warning: Contains nuts.

On an American Airlines packet of nuts:
Instructions: open packet, eat nuts.

On a child's Superman costume:
Wearing of this garment does not enable you to fly.

On a Swedish chain saw:
Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals.

On a toboggan:
Beware: Sledge may develop high speed under certain snow conditions.

On a knife sharpener:
Caution: knives are sharp.

On shin pads for cyclists:
Shin guards cannot protect any part of the body they do not cover.

On a take away coffee cup:
Caution: Hot beverages are hot.

Emergency safety procedures at a US summer camp:
In case of flood, proceed uphill. In case of flash flood proceed uphill quickly.

In a microwave oven manual:
Do not use for drying pets.

On the back of a pilot's seat in a Nato aircraft:
Seat must be facing forward for take-off and landing.

I've got a few to add....

a car commercial that shows a family driving under water and looking with wonder at the marine life they pass:
Warning: Car doesn't actually operate under water.

a sign on a dryer at the laundry mat
Dryer Instructions: #1 Check inside machine for children, pets, and foreign objects before loading and starting.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 03/18/08 at 11:28 am

Then there's Lily Tomlin's bits:

"Yesterday, I went to the store and bought a wastebasket.
They put the wastebasket in a plastic bag....and when I got home, I put the plastic bag in the wastebasket."

Have you ever tried to throw away a trash can? I keep putting it out and with a note saying that this is trash too... they take the note and leave the can  ;D

Here's something that really made me laugh .. When I was in college, I had this english teacher who was a little strange.  One day he came into the classroom, and his shoes were making this squeaking sound, so he went on for about 10 minutes as to why they squeaked.  And just to see if anyone was paying attention that day, he threw it on as a surprise bonus question on a test ;D

speaking of shoes. I was going to a TV show taping a couple of years ago (Joey). anyway- I always arrive hours early so that I can be sure to get a seat.  anyway- I get dressed, drive two hours and then stand in line for two more hours. Finally I get to go to the bathroom, look down and realize that I am wearing two different shoes....  ;D

Written By: Tia on 03/18/08 at 11:33 am

speaking of shoes. I was going to a TV show taping a couple of years ago (Joey). anyway- I always arrive hours early so that I can be sure to get a seat.  anyway- I get dressed, drive two hours and then stand in line for two more hours. Finally I get to go to the bathroom, look down and realize that I am wearing two different shoes....  ;D

i did that once at work. got dressed in the dark, all late, get all the way to the office before i realized i was wearing one black and one brown shoe. i turned around, went back and got the right shoes, just decided i'd rather be an hour and a half late than spend the day in mismatched shoes.

Written By: Dagwood on 03/18/08 at 1:47 pm

The first time I got the following phone call, I laughed:

"The warranty on your vehicle is about to expire. Please stay on the line for..."

The warranty on my truck (a '94 model) expired quite some time ago.

Ant

I have been getting those alot lately.  The funny thing is the number on the ID is a foriegn number.  Yeah, I'm hanging on the line....hold your breath, ok? ::)

Written By: gemini on 03/18/08 at 5:25 pm

Dryer Instructions: #1 Check inside machine for children, pets, and foreign objects before loading and starting.   ;D

Haha! That one I like!  ;D

Written By: Green Lantern on 03/18/08 at 5:52 pm

I've got a few to add....

Dryer Instructions: #1 Check inside machine for children, pets, and foreign objects before loading and starting.  ;D

As just reported in another thread .... I was not that smart. Turned out to be a rougher ride than expected .... to save a few pennies on shower bills !  :-http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/584/humour3re1.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...