inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Translation, Please (Would A Rose By Any Other Name...?)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/25/08 at 3:52 pm

Since we have people from all over the world here, there are many words/sayings that some of us are unfamiliar with. Or we use different terms for the same thing.

For example:

18 Wheeler=Rig=Lorry
John=Loo=WC
Soda=Pop=Soft Drink=Coke

So here is a place if you want to ask someone about some of the phrases they use-or if you think something needs to be explained.

I hope that we can all learn from each other and make the world just a little bit smaller-at least at Inthe00s.

Cat

Subject: Re: Translation, Please (Would A Rose By Any Other Name...?)

Written By: snozberries on 03/25/08 at 6:48 pm

I've always wondered about "Washing Up Liquid" those ladies from How Clean Is Your House use it alot... I think its dish washing liquid like Palmolive, Dawn or Joy but not certain about this.

Written By: karen on 03/25/08 at 7:20 pm

I've always wondered about "Washing Up Liquid" those ladies from How Clean Is Your House use it alot... I think its dish washing liquid like Palmolive, Dawn or Joy but not certain about this.

Yes, it is dish washing liquid.

I am torn at the moment between insisting on using the words I usually use and translating as much as possible so I am understood.  :-\\

bonnet/hood (on a car)
boot/trunk (on a car)
nappy/diaper
pushchair/buggy/stroller

Written By: karen on 03/25/08 at 7:24 pm

from something Bobby said

rubbish/trash/garbage

Written By: whistledog on 03/25/08 at 7:36 pm

Canadian slang ...

Chesterfield → Couch
Tuque (Toque or Touque) → Winter hat
Pencil crayon → Coloured Pencil
Serviette → Napkin

Written By: Bobby on 03/25/08 at 7:54 pm

rubbish/trash/garbage

Even the littlest things can cause the biggest confusion, lol.

Telling a person to 'sod off' is a British thing I think. Not too sure where it comes from but I do know 'sod' means dirt, the earth.

'The dole' is an unemployment queue to get your Jobseeker's allowance (unemployment benefit)

'Manky' means dirty or scruffy

'An old banger' is a worn out old car

To 'shag' someone means to have sex with them and, if unfortunate or haven't used your 'rubber Johnnies' (condoms), you could end up getting her 'up the duff' which means she's pregnant.

There are loads more but can't think of them off the top of my head.

Written By: whistledog on 03/25/08 at 8:25 pm

'The dole' is an unemployment queue to get your Jobseeker's allowance (unemployment benefit)

Does this require the form known as UB40?

Written By: gibbo on 03/25/08 at 8:29 pm

rubbish/trash/garbage

Yeah....I nearly used trash when I answered his post but I actually call it rubbish as well. I found myself using more American terms on The Boards to save possible confusion.  :)

Written By: gibbo on 03/25/08 at 8:35 pm

'Pacifier' = (UK 'dummy').

Hey ...don't call Phililp names.... >:( ;) ;D

Written By: gibbo on 03/25/08 at 8:38 pm

No it's the 10CC required

Written By: Bobby on 03/25/08 at 9:33 pm

How about fanny. Get off your fanny in the USA ... (yer ass / backside/ bottom) but in the UK .... it means ...   :o ).

How COULD the Bee Gees sing 'Fanny be tender with my love' ?   ???    ;D

When I heard the term 'fanny pack' I burst out laughing . . .  :-[ ;D

Which reminds me, a bum in the US means a tramp but a bum over here means your arse.

Written By: Bobby on 03/25/08 at 9:35 pm

I'm not sure the unemployment form UB40 is still called a UB40 these days but that was how the band UB40 got their name.

Written By: Bobby on 03/25/08 at 9:37 pm

Canadian slang ...

Chesterfield → Couch
Tuque (Toque or Touque) → Winter hat
Pencil crayon → Coloured Pencil
Serviette → Napkin

The posh amongst us use the term 'serviette' too. Didn't know the Tuque or Chesterfield though - good stuff.  8)

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/25/08 at 9:39 pm

How about fanny. Get off your fanny in the USA ... (yer ass / backside/ bottom) but in the UK .... it means ...  :o ).

How COULD the Bee Gees sing 'Fanny be tender with my love' ?  ???    ;D

You think that's bad.  Try walking into a UK store and asking if they've got a fanny pack.  For your wife/gf.  You've still got yours, she had hers packed in the luggage, which won't arrive for another day.  No, you've gotta have one, they're in every store, I'm wearing mine, just let me take off my jacket...

It just sorta gets worse from there.

Written By: gibbo on 03/25/08 at 9:41 pm

The posh amongst us use the term 'serviette' too. Didn't know the Tuque or Chesterfield though - good stuff.  8)

We use both serviette and napkin (or just paper towel)

What about those terms where products define what the action is.....like hoovering = vacuuming

Written By: Bobby on 03/25/08 at 9:55 pm

We use both serviette and napkin (or just paper towel)

What about those terms where products define what the action is.....like hoovering = vacuuming

That's true. I've always called it hoovering, lol. Not too sure I know many more examples of products defining the action.

Written By: gibbo on 03/25/08 at 9:55 pm

Of course .... how COULD I forget .....  :-http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/6789/fudgesm3.gif
^
Another kindly American  ..... making 'great' sacrifices on our account !   ::)    :P   :D

Yep...the whole rooting for the team thing doesn't work so well here..... :o

Written By: Bobby on 03/25/08 at 10:01 pm

Of course .... how COULD I forget .....  :-http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/6789/fudgesm3.gif
^
Another kindly American  ..... making 'great' sacrifices on our account !   ::)    :P   :D

I have heard the term 'get your root on' which means have sex but rooting over here (when not talking about growing stuff) means having a good old rummage for something.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/25/08 at 10:52 pm

This was always a fun site for me to look up British phrases/slang.  http://www.effingpot.com/

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/25/08 at 11:01 pm

Here is one for Australian slang, although I haven't had time to go thru it yet...
http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html

Written By: whistledog on 03/25/08 at 11:04 pm

No it's the 10CC required

So they pleasure themselves while they are unemployed? ;D

10cc - the band name represented a volume of semen that was more than the average amount ejaculated by men

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/25/08 at 11:06 pm

And here is one for Dutch slang (I felt the need to include all of our more active posters)
http://www.alternative-dictionaries.net/dictionary/Dutch/1.html#so4

And one for our Canadian posters:
http://www.coolslang.com/in/canadian/index.php

Written By: whistledog on 03/25/08 at 11:07 pm

I had a feeling serviette was spoke in England as well.  I always thought the word sounded more British than anything.  The Queen wipes her brow with a serviette lol

Written By: whistledog on 03/25/08 at 11:08 pm

Men don't often get paid for having sex, now ..... do they ?   ???      :D

If we did, I'd be in big time debt  ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D

Written By: gibbo on 03/25/08 at 11:18 pm

If we did, I'd be in big time debt  ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D

Yeah ...lucky our lives don't actually depend on it....... :o

Written By: gibbo on 03/25/08 at 11:26 pm

If we did, I'd be a multi millionaire !  :D   Plus my eyes would be about as good as .....

http://www.televisionheaven.co.uk/kungfu.jpg
                          ^

Yep, he should've stuck to 'kung fu' ! :D

So...grasshoppers will send you blind??? :o

Written By: Howard on 03/26/08 at 6:37 am

John: pimp,bathroom.

Written By: Howard on 03/26/08 at 7:00 am

Bathroom UK /Australia .... a place that usually has a bath (devices intended for bathing the whole body .... at least a shower ? )  ... (sort of logical, don't you think ? )  ???

Bathroom .... USA .... a place often / MOSTLY  without a bath/shower    ::)  ... usually a place to take a dump !    :P  ;D :D

or to pee...  ;D

Written By: Gis on 03/26/08 at 7:45 am

Ahh, I still remember the hysterics when a male American friend told us he had suspenders at home that he was going to wear out that night.  ;D  ;D

In the U.K suspenders hold up stockings and are usually attached to some manner of corset.

Written By: Gis on 03/26/08 at 7:48 am

Do you have the vegetable 'Leeks' in America?

http://www.muranakafarm.com/img/inside_products_leek.jpg

I remember when I was visiting a friend years ago he was looking all round the floor of the food store we were in looking for water! I was never sure if he genuinely didn't know what we were on about or if he was winding us up.  :-\\

Written By: karen on 03/26/08 at 7:54 am

Jumper/sweater/pullover

gherkins/pickle

mobile/cell (phone)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/26/08 at 9:09 am

I remember when I was visiting a friend years ago he was looking all round the floor of the food store we were in looking for water! I was never sure if he genuinely didn't know what we were on about or if he was winding us up.  :-\\

We do have leeks but they are not a very popular vegetable over here. Your friend was looking for a LEAK.  :D  I'm sure there are many people over here who have never heard of leeks.

I want to thank everyone who responded to this thread. This is great. I'm getting an education and I hope you are, too.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/26/08 at 9:24 am

Cool !

I'm especially pleased to educate you to the fact of baths not being in YOUR  typical public 'bathroom' !  :D

When I was in elementary school, we were taught to call it the "lavatory" because there wasn't a bathtub in it-and made sure that we didn't mix it up with the word "laboratory". We ended up calling it the "lav" for short. School was the only place I heard the term.

Cat

Written By: thereshegoes on 03/26/08 at 9:26 am

That's alho-poró here! We do great soups with it :)

Written By: ninny on 03/26/08 at 9:41 am

When I was in elementary school, we were taught to call it the "lavatory" because there wasn't a bathtub in it-and made sure that we didn't mix it up with the word "laboratory". We ended up calling it the "lav" for short. School was the only place I heard the term.

Cat

Oh the good old days of may I be excused to the Lavatory ;D,I told Missy that and she just laughed,at first she tried to tell me she has Lab on Tuesday's & Thursday's,I explained it was Lav not Lab,she said why didn't you just say you needed to go to the bathroom or potty.I told her things were a little more proper back then.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/26/08 at 9:44 am

Your quiet right about it being something that seems to fade from usage. I'd say even in the UK ... most people would say / ask where is the toilet as opposed to lavatory, although well understood.

To English ears, 'bathroom' sounds rather quaint .... when dumping station is probably what it really is. About as real as 'friendly fire' .... which is anything BUT    ::)

Can you explain how the term "loo" came about? I am curious.

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 03/26/08 at 10:54 am

I had a feeling serviette was spoke in England as well.  I always thought the word sounded more British than anything.  The Queen wipes her brow with a serviette lol

Yet I think it's a French word. We borrow a lot from other countries - it was only recently that I found out we got the term 'dungarees' (denim clothing) from India.

The use of the word 'pants' is different too. In the US it means trousers, in the UK it means underwear or if something is rubbish/unfair (as in 'that's just pants').

Written By: Bobby on 03/26/08 at 10:57 am

Bathroom UK /Australia .... a place that usually has a bath (devices intended for bathing the whole body .... at least a shower ? )  ... (sort of logical, don't you think ? )  ???

Bathroom .... USA .... a place often / MOSTLY  without a bath/shower    ::)  ... usually a place to take a dump !    :P  ;D :D

Don't we usually call that 'the outside loo'? (very small room built for the purpose of going to a toilet). ;D

In the US, are toilets in the same room as showers/baths?

Written By: Bobby on 03/26/08 at 10:58 am

This may help . . .

http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/faq/aboutwordorigins/loo

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/26/08 at 11:07 am

Don't we usually call that 'the outside loo'? (very small room built for the purpose of going to a toilet). ;D

In the US, are toilets in the same room as showers/baths?

This should answer your question.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=31057.0

This may help . . .

http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/faq/aboutwordorigins/loo

That's interesting. Thanks for the info.

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 03/26/08 at 11:11 am

That's interesting. Thanks for the info.

Ah, same as in the UK. Alan's just confusing me, lol.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/26/08 at 11:20 am

Ah, same as in the UK. Alan's just confusing me, lol.

He does have a habit of doing that, doesn't he? lol

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 03/26/08 at 11:47 am

He does have a habit of doing that, doesn't he? lol

It makes a change from me confusing myself, lol.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/26/08 at 1:20 pm

John: pimp,bathroom.

Not to quibble with definitions here, but aren't Johns the customers of prostitutes not the pimps (i. e. the boss)?

Aubergine is England is Eggplant in the United States.  And we either subtration a couple syllabels here in the U. S. of Alumininum, where I believe in England they add an extra "i" or something.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/26/08 at 1:23 pm

One curious thing I've had over the years is the day after Christmas in England (and perhaps Canada - I'm not sure) is Boxing Day.  We don't have that here, and everytime I hear it I picture the whole country taking a day off to watch Muhammed Ali or Mike Tyson.  ;D  I'm not sure if it signifies doing anything special that day other then what we do here, return presents and shop the sales of the marked down Christmas merchandise.  ;D

Written By: Gis on 03/26/08 at 2:08 pm

One curious thing I've had over the years is the day after Christmas in England (and perhaps Canada - I'm not sure) is Boxing Day.  We don't have that here, and everytime I hear it I picture the whole country taking a day off to watch Muhammed Ali or Mike Tyson.  ;D  I'm not sure if it signifies doing anything special that day other then what we do here, return presents and shop the sales of the marked down Christmas merchandise.  ;D

Its the day Church poor boxes were opened and donations from Christmas day were distrubuted to the needy - thats where the 'Box' bit comes from as far as I'm aware.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/26/08 at 3:09 pm

Its the day Church poor boxes were opened and donations from Christmas day were distrubuted to the needy - thats where the 'Box' bit comes from as far as I'm aware.

Thanks that explains alot! 

Written By: Henk on 03/26/08 at 3:39 pm

Cat

Speaking of loo...

There's a Dutch expression "toedeloe" as means of saying "bye bye"/ "see you later". It's pronounced almost like "To the loo", and I've often wondered if there's a connection (probable misunderstanding/deliberate misinterpretation?) between the two somewhere. It seems to much of a coincidence.

Written By: Bobby on 03/26/08 at 3:41 pm

Not to quibble with definitions here, but aren't Johns the customers of prostitutes not the pimps (i. e. the boss)?

The UK use the term 'John' to describe a client (or in London it is actually used as a general form of greeting for any man, especially to a man you don't know the name of). If a 'John' is looking for 'business' (the use of a prostitute) he is called a 'kerb crawler' (a reference to the slow drive at the edge of the road which is called the kerb taken by a man looking for a prostitute on the 'pavement' (sidewalk)).

Written By: gibbo on 03/26/08 at 4:35 pm

Speaking of loo...

There's a Dutch expression "toedeloe" as means of saying "bye bye"/ "see you later". It's pronounced almost like "To the loo", and I've often wondered if there's a connection (probable misunderstanding/deliberate misinterpretation?) between the two somewhere. It seems to much of a coincidence.

Yes toodeloo is said here when leaving someone but I had no idea where it came from. I don't hear it as often these days.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/26/08 at 4:38 pm

whip: something used to inflict pain, or pleasure; depends on how you roll  ::)  or a whip is what they put on top of your Frappucinno at Starbucks, whipped cream topping

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/26/08 at 4:43 pm

whip: something used to inflict pain, or pleasure; depends on how you roll  ::)  or a whip is what they put on top of your Frappucinno at Starbucks, whipped cream topping

A whip it good. In the shade. Shake it up. Get straight. Go forward. Move ahead. It's not too late to whip it. Whip it good.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/26/08 at 4:50 pm

A whip it good. In the shade. Shake it up. Get straight. Go forward. Move ahead. It's not too late to whip it. Whip it good.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat
oh listen dear, they're playing our song  :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/26/08 at 5:16 pm

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/4959/devoradiationsuitou7.jpg
                     "You rang ? "
and the kicker is that this pic is probably not even photoshopped  :D

Written By: gibbo on 03/26/08 at 5:20 pm

and the kicker is that this pic is probably not even photoshopped  :D

Heh heh heh

Written By: loki 13 on 03/26/08 at 5:21 pm

Speaking of loo...

From The Facts On File Encyclopedia Of Word And Phrase Origins:

Tootle-oo: Good-bye, see you later. The saying is British dating back to about 1905. Experts suggest that it may
                derive from a Cockney corruption of French a tout a l'heure, "see you soon." The word has some American
                humourous usage and is sometimes heard as Toodleoo.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/26/08 at 5:21 pm

Heh heh heh
Al is a better sport than I  ::)

Written By: gibbo on 03/26/08 at 5:35 pm

Al is a better sport than I  ::)

Al wouln't dish it out if he couldn't take it in return. My guess is he constantly wears a flak jacket (under his yellow jump suit of course)... ;D

Written By: Henk on 03/26/08 at 5:40 pm

From The Facts On File Encyclopedia Of Word And Phrase Origins:

Tootle-oo: Good-bye, see you later. The saying is British dating back to about 1905. Experts suggest that it may
                derive from a Cockney corruption of French a tout a l'heure, "see you soon." The word has some American
                humourous usage and is sometimes heard as Toodleoo.

Ah! Those French again...

Thanks for clearing that up, Kevin. :)

Written By: karen on 03/26/08 at 7:32 pm

Cat

Except when people talk about a half bathroom meaning just a toilet and sink/basin. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/27/08 at 11:50 am

Except when people talk about a half bathroom meaning just a toilet and sink/basin. 

Kind of ironic, huh? A half bath means no bath at all. That would look like of silly of having only half a bathtub.  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Howard on 03/27/08 at 2:56 pm

rose: A flower or to sit up.

Written By: gibbo on 03/27/08 at 4:54 pm

Kind of ironic, huh? A half bath means no bath at all. That would look like of silly of having only half a bathtub.  :D ;D ;D

Cat

You'd only get half clean?

Written By: whistledog on 03/27/08 at 6:26 pm

One curious thing I've had over the years is the day after Christmas in England (and perhaps Canada - I'm not sure) is Boxing Day.  We don't have that here, and everytime I hear it I picture the whole country taking a day off to watch Muhammed Ali or Mike Tyson.   ;D  I'm not sure if it signifies doing anything special that day other then what we do here, return presents and shop the sales of the marked down Christmas merchandise.   ;D

Boxing Day is in Canada yes, and Australia / NZ as well.  For most people, it pretty much means a day of sales and bargains cause alot of stores will have crazily reduced prices.  Last year on Boxing Day, the line-ups at some stores were crazy.  I went to Wal-Mart at 9:15 (they opened up that day at 9) and already the parking lot was full :o

Written By: whistledog on 03/27/08 at 8:11 pm

Here is one for the Brits ...

In the land of TV, a season of TV is known in the UK as a series

North America:  "Sanford and Son ran for 6 seasons"
UK:  "Steptoe and Son ran for 8 series"

Written By: Brian06 on 03/27/08 at 8:24 pm

I don't know if this was mentioned...

When I was in the UK last summer, "restrooms" are simply labeled "toilets", you never see this in the US.

Written By: Bobby on 03/27/08 at 8:32 pm

When I was in the UK last summer, "restrooms" are simply labeled "toilets", you never see this in the US.

Sometimes they are not even called that. Depending on where you are they are often labelled 'Gents' for the blokes and 'Ladies' for the women or you see signs of stick men and women to signify the gender.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/28/08 at 12:17 pm

Hey ! Wake up !  >:(  You're not meant to be 'resting' in the rest room  >:(  .... you're meant to be taking a dump !    :P    :D

Or taking a bath?  ;)

Cat

Written By: Howard on 03/28/08 at 3:16 pm

Hey ! Wake up !   >:(   You're not meant to be 'resting' in the rest room  >:(   .... you're meant to be taking a dump !    :P    :D

or don't forget,to pee as well. ;D

Written By: Tam on 03/28/08 at 3:18 pm

Or like me you can call it a "washroom" ;D

Written By: Howard on 03/28/08 at 3:35 pm

john or latrine.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/28/08 at 3:40 pm

john or latrine.

A latrine is an outhouse or a port-a-potty.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 03/28/08 at 3:41 pm

A latrine is an outhouse or a port-a-potty.

Cat

A john could also mean a pimp.

Written By: Tam on 03/28/08 at 4:02 pm

A john could also mean a pimp.

Nah - a John is the guy that the prostitute picks up....

Written By: Howard on 03/29/08 at 6:55 am

Bobby- A cop in The UK.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/29/08 at 9:25 pm

Telling a person to 'sod off' is a British thing I think. Not too sure where it comes from but I do know 'sod' means dirt, the earth.

Sodomy, I'm afraid it is.

In Britain you're on the dole, in the the U.S. you're SOL.

'Manky' means dirty or scruffy
Monty Python introduced me to that one.  "Manky Scots gits!"

'An old banger' is a worn out old car
I thought a banger was a sausage, "banger and mash."

To 'shag' someone means to have sex with them and, if unfortunate or haven't used your 'rubber Johnnies' (condoms), you could end up getting her 'up the duff' which means she's pregnant.

An eraser is sometimes known as a "rubber" in England, but a "rubber" is generally a condom in the U.S.  "Rubbers" in the old days referred to overclothes worn in inclement whether, but now even your 80-year-old grandfather wouldn't say, "It's raining, I better go put my rubbers on."
So I was in the lab one time in college and this English girl tuns to me and says, "You got a rubber?"  First thing I thought was,"Maybe dinner and a movie first?"
:-\\

Written By: whistledog on 03/29/08 at 9:35 pm

That's the term most common for it in Canada.  Bathroom is the common one in the States.

I don't like it as Bathroom because you wouldn't take a bath in a public washroom.  You could, but I think you would be arrested ;D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/29/08 at 10:58 pm

I think they call submarine sandwiches "Grinders" around the Boston area maybe?

"Sliders" (I think) are these little hamburgers that are square shaped and very small (the brand I know of is White Castle - but there are other fast food places that specialize in these types of hamburgers too), presumably they are called that because they are kinda greasy and small so they just "slide" down.  I, personally, like them on occasion, but hubby despises them. 

Written By: karen on 03/31/08 at 8:25 am

I think they call submarine sandwiches "Grinders" around the Boston area maybe?

And around here as well.  I had to ask the waitress what they were.

On a totally unrelated topic.

Garden - I use in the sense of the area outside the house be it lawn, trees, shrubs, whatever.  However someone told me that in the US 'garden' means specifically the area of dirt/earth where you would plant flowers or vegetables and the rest of the area is called a yard.

Written By: whistledog on 03/31/08 at 8:57 pm

Garden - I use in the sense of the area outside the house be it lawn, trees, shrubs, whatever.  However someone told me that in the US 'garden' means specifically the area of dirt/earth where you would plant flowers or vegetables and the rest of the area is called a yard.

It's that way here in Canada too.  The Garden generally does refer to the soil area where the flowers and vegetables are planted.  Though in some cases, I've heard people refer to their yard as their garden area

Written By: whistledog on 03/31/08 at 9:05 pm

Have you ever heard of a "Deke"?  It's a Canadian term used in sports derived from the word decoy.  It's when a player outmaneuvers his opponent.  "I deked around the hockey player to score the winning goal"

Written By: snozberries on 04/01/08 at 6:16 am

Have you ever heard of a "Deke"?  It's a Canadian term used in sports derived from the word decoy.  It's when a player outmaneuvers his opponent.  "I deked around the hockey player to score the winning goal"

Is that what they mean by triple deke in Mighty Ducks?  I've always wondered about that!

Written By: gibbo on 04/01/08 at 6:18 am

Is that what they mean by triple deke in Mighty Ducks?  I've always wondered about that!

Well there you go.....hopefully your next Mighty Ducks experience will be even richer.......... ;D

Written By: snozberries on 04/01/08 at 6:23 am

Well there you go.....hopefully your next Mighty Ducks experience will be even richer.......... ;D

;D

Written By: Howard on 04/01/08 at 6:39 am

Rather than a sausage that might've grown a bit of mold ?    

Are you sure you're not referring to something else? ??? ;D

Written By: gibbo on 04/01/08 at 6:41 am

'GIBBO' ...... Somebody  who's been around forever ?  I'm inclined to say Gee ! 1880 ? Or should we say ....

G1880   ???

Well, he is starting to look a bit 'long in the tooth'    :P    ;D

Sticks and stones Alan ....sticks and stones.......... ;D

Written By: Howard on 04/01/08 at 6:42 am

Hello How Hard.   How Hard   ARE  you ?

I'm pretty soft right now.HEHE. ;D ;)

Written By: snozberries on 04/01/08 at 6:43 am

Hello How Hard.  How Hard  ARE  you ?

somehow this new name got lost among all the other ones so I am just seeing it for the first time now....... I genuinely laughed out loud! 

see that was more creative than boogers.

Written By: gibbo on 04/01/08 at 6:44 am

I'm pretty soft right now.HEHE. ;D ;)

How quickly THAT can change.... ;)

Written By: Howard on 04/01/08 at 6:45 am

What? from hard to soft? ;D

Written By: Howard on 04/01/08 at 6:49 am

8!11 will be very disappointed to hear that. I wonder who THAT could be !   ::)   ;)

Yes .... you'd better sit on a broomstick, or get lead in your 'pencil' SOMEHOW.  We don't wanna disappoint 8!11   :P   :D   ;D

How would I do that?

Written By: gibbo on 04/01/08 at 6:50 am

somehow this new name got lost among all the other ones so I am just seeing it for the first time now....... I genuinely laughed out loud! 

see that was more creative than boogers.

Oh yeah ...try rolling his 'How Hard' in balls and licking flicking it?  Oh...that's right Bill already did......... ;)

Written By: snozberries on 04/01/08 at 6:52 am

refer to user name changes....to find out  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 04/01/08 at 6:55 am

Sit on a broomstick ?  ???

I can't tell you how to sit on a broomstick How Hard. You have to work that one out yourself. How hard is THAT  ... How Hard ! ?  :P

Look ... the idea is ... it goes in one  ... uhm . ........ 'end'  when you sit on it.  The actual broom handle goes through your body ..... and provides instant 'hardness' .  :o

Get it ?    ???

:D  ;D

oh no you're starting to make sense...  ;D

Written By: gibbo on 04/01/08 at 7:04 am

Sit on a broomstick ?  ???

I can't tell you how to sit on a broomstick How Hard. You have to work that one out yourself. How hard is THAT  ... How Hard ! ?  :P

Look ... the idea is ... it goes in one  ... uhm . ........ 'end'  when you sit on it.  The actual broom handle goes through your body ..... and provides instant 'hardness' .   :o

Get it ?    ???

:D   ;D

That would also clean out his system.... ;)

Written By: gibbo on 04/01/08 at 7:21 am

Good for his system ... but remind me not to be re-incarnated as a broomstick !   :-X

Al, don't forget to not be reincarnated as a broomstick!

Written By: Howard on 04/01/08 at 7:25 am

Oh yeah ...try rolling his 'How Hard' in balls and licking flicking it?  Oh...that's right Bill already did......... ;)

licking,balls,hard? Wha?  :o ::)

Written By: gibbo on 04/01/08 at 7:30 am

licking,balls,hard? Wha?  :o ::)

I know...it's a lot to take in... :o

Written By: Howard on 04/01/08 at 7:35 am

I know...it's a lot to take in... :o

Don't tell that to Bill. ;D

Written By: gibbo on 04/01/08 at 7:35 am

Many thanks gibbo !    8)   ;D

Damn !  You're definitely improving with age, gibbo.  Like a fine wine !    ;D

As long as I don't get corked...... :o

Written By: Howard on 04/01/08 at 7:36 am

As long as I don't get corked...... :o

I don't think so.

Written By: gibbo on 04/01/08 at 7:39 am

Don't tell that to Bill. ;D

Glad to see you got the drift of my comment... :)

Written By: Howard on 04/01/08 at 7:41 am

Glad to see you got the drift of my comment... :)

I'm always on top of things. ;)

Written By: Gis on 04/01/08 at 8:02 am

Now now boys, you've highjacked Cat's thread and you don't want to go upsetting her......................... :-X

Written By: gibbo on 04/01/08 at 8:06 am

Now now boys, you've highjacked Cat's thread and you don't want to go upsetting her......................... :-X

But...I love to upset Cat......... :-\\

Written By: gibbo on 04/01/08 at 8:48 am

Alright then...back on track.

Prostitute/hooker = real estate agency

Written By: snozberries on 04/01/08 at 8:56 am

Alright then...back on track.

Prostitute/hooker = real estate agency

hooker =  http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/DazeOff50/hook.gif

prostitute =  http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii6/LordWolf22/hoe.jpg

Written By: gibbo on 04/01/08 at 8:57 am

Is that skanky Ho playing hooky again?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/01/08 at 11:12 am

Thanks Gis, but you know these boys ALWAYS highjack just about every thread they contribute to.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 04/01/08 at 5:57 pm

Thanks Gis, but you know these boys ALWAYS highjack just about every thread they contribute to.

Cat

*ahem....what no credit for helping? 

Written By: snozberries on 04/01/08 at 6:03 pm

Hey .... not so loud snoz.  >:(  I need you on the OUTSIDE ... to sneak that cake in with the file inside !    :P  :D

oh I forgot....shhhhhhh

I think nosenuggets said that not snoz...  ;D

Written By: gibbo on 04/01/08 at 10:39 pm

Cat

Okay...I hear you. I'll stop doing it..... :-\\

Written By: Tam on 04/02/08 at 6:32 am

You know, it is one thing to complain and whine in good fun, but how is it fair that some people can whine and complain in all/any thread they want? No matter what is said, whether it is from a mod or a regular member, some people always interpret it as they are being picked on and that no one understands them or people don't want them to have fun? It can't be both ways, where a person is allowed to run rampant and ignore those complaining about it, but once they have been reprimanded they take off on a whining tangent because it happened!

There was a thread specifically about hijacking threads, (which I cannot find right now - anyone willing to help me out?) and although most times they do get back on topic, a lot of people are thrown off of them because of the hijacking. Also, there was a time when Howard was banned from the boards for a short period of time to teach him a lesson because other members (who were later banned) kept egging him on into conversations that are quite obviously not allowed on the boards. There are rules here, not to spoil YOUR fun, but to make sure that EVERYONE receives the same treatment and enjoys similar experiences here daily.

Everything needs to be taken and given in moderation, and I for one am actually getting quite tired of reading the same whining over and over again. No matter where I go and read, somewhere along the lines the whining overflows. We went through a period with a past member of about a year and a half of nothing but his whining. Everyone eventually got sick of it and pretty much ignored his posts. He through a fit about it and in the end was banned.

Ultimately, you get what you give, and if you can't take it then you shouldn't dish it out. Plain and simple.

Edit to add - Enough with the sticks up arse's and crap! Seriously, most of us do not want to read that!!!

Written By: Howard on 04/02/08 at 6:43 am

Wow,that's the first that I've seen a hooker and a hoe together. ;D

Written By: Tam on 04/02/08 at 6:56 am

I don't think I can be much fairer than to offer to withdraw from a thread that the CREATOR of the thread does not want me in. I have avoided certain threads by certain people on this board .... cos I know we don't hit it off.

I feel that I DO hit it off with 'Cat' ... or at least ..... have until today !

If I create a thread .......... I NEVER EVER whine about 'people going off topic' ....... let's get back to the topic !

Now, I am certainly not alone ... in my liberal minded approach to threads. There are others here too, who want to 'party with ME !' ........... and  I enjoy their company too !

So ... I say, 'live and let live' !   I'll agree to stay out of certain threads .... which I've been doing anyhow ..........

I aint' going quietly though. Your just  gonna have to pull the plug on me, if you don't want me here. If this IS a democracy .... I will make my case as strongly as is reasonably possible!

Looks like SOMEBODY 'blew the whistle on me, doesn't  it' ! They didn't think they could argue and win with me ... so just called the cops ! Very 'brave'.  ::)

As for not being able  to take it ..... I don't know how THAT adds up in THIS context ? !

It seems to me I made some very good points 'in my defense' .... earlier here ...........

As I  said ... not happy ... just delete all my posts in this thread ... I won't return to it ... nor post in the threads of THAT 'camp'. (As you'll see has been the case).

And it is exactly this kind of tirade that I am talking about!!! To put it bluntly, people were asked to stop, not because the creator of the thread said so, but because people complained. I dont know how much clearer I can make things for you! One of the main reasons is because some people don't want to read the empty spaced, pic-morphed crap you post! Granted, there are a few that rather enjoy your humor, which if fine. But a lot of people don't! Does that have anything directly to do with you as a person? I think not. I have enjoyed quite a few of your threads, even though there were rants and whining and such in them. Just because some do doesn't mean that everyone WANTS to.

Funny thing too isn't it - how fast someone can get here when a reply is made by a mod that is directed at them. I just hope that this time you actually READ my post instead of just going off what someone may or may not have sent you in a pm.

And since you have said you will not come back into this thread, I will copy you in a pm as well.

Tam

Written By: gibbo on 04/02/08 at 8:02 am

Wow...this all turned just a little too nasty for me.... Sorry, for any trouble caused.

Cheers

Written By: ninny on 04/02/08 at 9:21 am

People take things far to serious,which is ok if this is a serious thread,I love learning the difference between American,Australian,Canadian,English,maybe some Irish & some Dutch sayings,but as WE all know some of those sayings and words are going to be funny,some might be sexual ,some serious,and it's only human nature to go off topic,I've read several threads and most of them do
So staying in topic,I found this to be both a American & British Idiom
http://www.idioms.myjewelz.com/images/bkcover.gif

lighten up-    relax, do not be so serious  Lighten up,  Try to see the humor in life.
I am not trying to upset anyone,just a mere observation

Written By: snozberries on 04/02/08 at 10:47 am

I must say some of the best discussions I've had on this board have come out of "hijacking" a thread... I don't consider it hijacking tho if we get back on topic...usually it just going off on a tangent....someone says something that reminds you of something else and you talk about that for awhile....

Written By: Gis on 04/03/08 at 1:22 am

I must say some of the best discussions I've had on this board have come out of "hijacking" a thread... I don't consider it hijacking tho if we get back on topic...usually it just going off on a tangent....someone says something that reminds you of something else and you talk about that for awhile....

Nope neither do I and I too have had some very interesting and funny conversations that way.

The reason I 'lightheartedly' said now now boys (and girl) is because of the way this tangent was going. As Tam said Howard got suspended from these boards from being egged into just such risque conversations as the one a couple of pages back. There are very clear rules on this board about 'sexual content' of posts for want of a way of phrasing it.

Personally I also found the comment about sticking a broom up Howards arse for sexual gratification WAY over the line.

Alan if that is prudish in your eyes then I'm happy to be prude!

(edited to correct my spelling!)

Written By: Howard on 04/03/08 at 6:57 am

The reason I 'lightheartedly' said now now boys (and girl) is because of the way this tangent was going. As Tam said Howard got suspended from these boards from being egged into just such risque conversations as the one a couple of pages back. There are very clear rules on this board about 'sexual content' of posts for want of a way of phrasing it.

I remember that day when Jimmy and I engaged in such risque conversations and I was suspened for almost a month. ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/03/08 at 10:43 am

Ok, back to the topic.

I hope our friends across the pond will correct me if I am wrong but I believe what we called bangs here, you call fringe.

Cat

Written By: karen on 04/03/08 at 11:12 am

Ok, back to the topic.

I hope our friends across the pond will correct me if I am wrong but I believe what we called bangs here, you call fringe.

Cat

That's right.  An American lady I know said she got very funny looks telling the hairdresser she liked long bangs!

Also I would say I have a fringe.

Written By: digger on 04/03/08 at 4:45 pm

the empty spaced, pic-morphed crap you post!

Wow...that's pretty b!tchy  :o  :(

Written By: adagio on 04/03/08 at 5:46 pm

Should be in PM.

Written By: Tia on 04/03/08 at 6:29 pm

And it is exactly this kind of tirade that I am talking about!!! To put it bluntly, people were asked to stop, not because the creator of the thread said so, but because people complained. I dont know how much clearer I can make things for you! One of the main reasons is because some people don't want to read the empty spaced, pic-morphed crap you post! Granted, there are a few that rather enjoy your humor, which if fine. But a lot of people don't! Does that have anything directly to do with you as a person? I think not. I have enjoyed quite a few of your threads, even though there were rants and whining and such in them. Just because some do doesn't mean that everyone WANTS to.

Funny thing too isn't it - how fast someone can get here when a reply is made by a mod that is directed at them. I just hope that this time you actually READ my post instead of just going off what someone may or may not have sent you in a pm.

And since you have said you will not come back into this thread, I will copy you in a pm as well.

Tam
i would like to associate myself with the remarks of my esteemed colleague. :)

Written By: Tia on 04/03/08 at 6:47 pm

Should be in PM.
they tried that already.

personally i think the poster in question is employing classic passive-aggressive techniques. he makes a lot of posts and threads that are, frankly, an eyesore... they're vulgar, off-putting, and they're filled with blank space so they take up a lot of area on threads and make it harder to have exchanges around them. some folks seem to think his posts are cool, and that's fine, i try and ignore them myself -- but it apparently irks some other folks so somebody complained. if someone complained about my posts to a moderator i would either make a reasoned argument to the moderator why i was being treated unfairly or amend my behavior if i thought i was in the wrong but instead mr. mister typically makes a very public display of being a victim in a way that constitutes a thinly disguised attack on the mod and the person complaining. and because he does this victimhood thing, a measured response is very difficult. it's happened a bunch of times before. and then this "digger" character shows up from out of nowhere, someone who's plainly a confederate, to exacerbate the situation. it's wearying and it diminishes the level of conversation on the entire board. just my two cents, i totally support tam in this and think she's only doing what needs to be done.

Written By: karen on 04/03/08 at 9:25 pm

back on topic

Path/pavement/sidewalk

Also having read some PMs from way back I came across a discussion with someone about jumpers.  I already mentioned it earlier in this thread that a jumper is a sweater or a pullover (to me).  Of course to everyone in the US a jumper is what I would call a pinafore (dress).

Written By: gibbo on 04/03/08 at 9:28 pm

back on topic

Path/pavement/sidewalk

Also having read some PMs from way back I came across a discussion with someone about jumpers.  I already mentioned it earlier in this thread that a jumper is a sweater or a pullover (to me).  Of course to everyone in the US a jumper is what I would call a pinafore (dress).

That's a good one karen....In Oz it was always The Footpath....but Iv'e also heard it called the 'pavement' and in recent years the 'sidewalk' (probably with all the movies from the U.S. influencing kids today)....

Written By: snozberries on 04/03/08 at 9:28 pm

back on topic

Path/pavement/sidewalk

I thought jumpers were overalls?

Written By: karen on 04/03/08 at 9:29 pm

I thought jumpers were overalls?

Where?  In the US or the UK?

Written By: snozberries on 04/03/08 at 9:30 pm

Where?  In the US or the UK?

well overalls in the US and Jumpers in the UK....

edited to add photo
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii115/brinchris06/S4300108.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj12/420Corvette/jme5.jpg

Written By: gibbo on 04/03/08 at 9:32 pm

Jumpers are sweaters in OZ.....and overalls are the clothes that Painters and the like wear.....

Written By: karen on 04/03/08 at 9:34 pm

edited to add photo
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii115/brinchris06/S4300108.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj12/420Corvette/jme5.jpg

I'd call those dungarees!

Written By: gibbo on 04/03/08 at 9:43 pm

I'd call those dungarees!

That's what Aussies call overalls...........dungarees are those army style pants/trousers....

Written By: karen on 04/03/08 at 9:50 pm

That's what Aussies call overalls...........dungarees are those army style pants/trousers....

Overalls to me include sleeves.  Coveralls perhaps?

army style as in camouflage pattern?  or with lots of pockets in weird places?

Written By: gibbo on 04/03/08 at 10:04 pm

Overalls to me include sleeves.  Coveralls perhaps?

army style as in camouflage pattern?  or with lots of pockets in weird places?

both..

Written By: Gis on 04/04/08 at 1:10 am

very confussing......  ;D I would say in the U.K dungarees have a bib and two straps that do up over the shoulder and the trousers you mention Gibbo are Cargo pants/trousers or combats.

Written By: gibbo on 04/04/08 at 1:18 am

very confussing......  ;D I would say in the U.K dungarees have a bib and two starps that do up over the shoulder and the trousers you mention Gibbo are Cargo pants/trousers or combats.

Please bare in mind that I AM male and haven't got much of a clue about these things. I haven't bought any new clothing since about 1981 (just kidding ....but very close).

I could well be the only person in Australia to refer to these items as dungarees. Cargo pants is also a term used.  I thought a bib was something a baby wears to catch the food....

Written By: Gis on 04/04/08 at 1:22 am

Please bare in mind that I AM male and haven't got much of a clue about these things. I haven't bought any new clothing since about 1981 (just kidding ....but very close).

I could well be the only person in Australia to refer to these items as dungarees. Cargo pants is also a term used.  I thought a bib was something a baby wears to catch the food....
It is which is why I'm guessing that bit at the front of dungarees is called a bib, kind of similar. I think many adults could do with one of those food catching bibs. ;D

Written By: gibbo on 04/04/08 at 1:33 am

It is which is why I'm guessing that bit at the front of dungarees is called a bib, kind of similar. I think many adults could do with one of those food catching bibs. ;D

I could use a similar device to catch my words before I send my posts sometimes.........

Written By: Gis on 04/04/08 at 2:44 am

I could use a similar device to catch my words before I send my posts sometimes.........
We've all been there done that sometimes.

Written By: karen on 04/04/08 at 11:26 am

very confussing......  ;D I would say in the U.K dungarees have a bib and two straps that do up over the shoulder and the trousers you mention Gibbo are Cargo pants/trousers or combats.

Combats.  That's the name I was trying to think of last night

Written By: karen on 04/04/08 at 6:05 pm

different names for these symbols [ ( {

( bracket
[ square bracket/parenthesis (I think)
{ curly bracket/?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/04/08 at 6:09 pm

( bracket
{ curly bracket/?

( parenthesis.

[ { Just called them brackets. I don't know if there is a specific name for either one.

Cat

Written By: karen on 04/04/08 at 6:11 pm

( parenthesis.

[ { Just called them brackets. I don't know if there is a specific name for either one.

Cat

Thought that ( might be parenthesis after I posted.  I was just going to ask my daughter!

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/05/08 at 3:31 am

( bracket
{ curly bracket/?
I have never named them before, I just use them on the keyboard

Written By: mandamoo on 04/05/08 at 4:11 am

Entering the overall's debate;

http://www.kinggee.com.au/CatalogueImages/OVERALLS/thumbnails/K02010-0.jpg
Bib and Brace Overalls

http://www.kinggee.com.au/CatalogueImages/OVERALLS/thumbnails/K02060-0.jpg
Sleeveless Overalls

http://www.kinggee.com.au/CatalogueImages/OVERALLS/thumbnails/K01010-0.jpg
Boiler Suit/Combination Overalls

Clear as mud ? :D

Written By: karen on 04/05/08 at 7:49 am

So the top one I would call dungarees, the bottom one would be overalls and the middle one I'm not sure.  It would probably depend on the material. :-\\

Written By: gibbo on 04/05/08 at 7:52 am

So the top one I would call dungarees, the bottom one would be overalls and the middle one I'm not sure.  It would probably depend on the material. :-\\

Well ...I give!  This is how wars are started.... ;D

Written By: karen on 04/05/08 at 7:56 am

Well ...I give!  This is how wars are started.... ;D

Yeah, didn't you know Archduke Ferninand was shot during gang warfare over what to call the boots he was wearing.  :P

Written By: gibbo on 04/05/08 at 7:57 am

Yeah, didn't you know Archduke Ferninand was shot during gang warfare over what to call the boots he was wearing.  :P

;D ;D

Written By: snozberries on 04/05/08 at 10:51 am

Entering the overall's debate;

http://www.kinggee.com.au/CatalogueImages/OVERALLS/thumbnails/K02010-0.jpg
Bib and Brace Overalls

http://www.kinggee.com.au/CatalogueImages/OVERALLS/thumbnails/K02060-0.jpg
Sleeveless Overalls

http://www.kinggee.com.au/CatalogueImages/OVERALLS/thumbnails/K01010-0.jpg
Boiler Suit/Combination Overalls

Clear as mud ? :D

The top one I would call overalls
the bottom one coveralls

the middle one I would call a sleeveless jumpsuit.

Written By: karen on 04/07/08 at 8:35 am

Soemthing I was just typing reminded me.

I use holiday in the sense of taking a vacation whereas in the US (and elsewhere?) holiday is used to mean like a day of celebration like Thanksgiving and Christmas

Earlier in this thread Gibbo mentioned calling vacumming 'hoovering'.  Can't say I've noticed if this happens in the US or not.  I can't think of another example of this but similarly I always refer to ball point pens as biros which I think is/was a trade name.  I know that it's the name of the inventor.

Written By: gibbo on 04/07/08 at 8:41 am

I use holiday in the sense of taking a vacation whereas in the US (and elsewhere?) holiday is used to mean like a day of celebration like Thanksgiving and Christmas

Earlier in this thread Gibbo mentioned calling vacumming 'hoovering'.  Can't say I've noticed if this happens in the US or not.  I can't think of another example of this but similarly I always refer to ball point pens as biros which I think is/was a trade name.  I know that it's the name of the inventor.

Actually I don't call vacuuming hoovering...my wife does...and she's from Trinidad and Tobago. In Australia it's vacuuming. I call going away to the beach (or seaside to some) for an extended period ...a holiday.

Written By: adagio on 04/07/08 at 9:48 am

A holiday for you, does in the U.S mean a specific day of celebration, as in most cases a person here would refer to Christmas as 25th of Dec., but there are exceptions.

Catholics refer to Dec. 25 as the start of the Christmas season, but still call it a season and not a holiday.

A holiday for you is a vacation here.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/07/08 at 1:11 pm

There are a few words that are trade marks/company names that we use: Kleenex (tissue), Xerox (copy/copier), Levis (jeans/denim),
Coke (cola/soda), etc. etc.

Cat 

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/07/08 at 1:54 pm

One I thought of yesterday is spanner.  In America, the general term is wrench and a spanner is a more specialized type of wrench.  In England, I think spanner is just the general term used instead of the term "wrench".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrench

Written By: Gis on 04/07/08 at 2:50 pm

One I thought of yesterday is spanner.  In America, the general term is wrench and a spanner is a more specialized type of wrench.  In England, I think spanner is just the general term used instead of the term "wrench".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrench
Yes you would use the word spanner for most.

Written By: snozberries on 04/07/08 at 10:32 pm

we do the branding thing in the US... People often use xerox as a verb....  I xerox a copy for you...excuse  me while I walk to my Cannon copier.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 04/07/08 at 10:34 pm

A holiday for you, does in the U.S mean a specific day of celebration, as in most cases a person here would refer to Christmas as 25th of Dec., but there are exceptions.

Catholics refer to Dec. 25 as the start of the Christmas season, but still call it a season and not a holiday.

A holiday for you is a vacation here.

I thought October first was the start of the christmas season... at least it is in retail  ;D

yeah rarely do Americans say "I'm going on holiday" but we know what a person means when we hear a foreigner say it.  ;)

Written By: karen on 04/07/08 at 10:36 pm

yeah rarely do Americans say "I'm going on holiday" but we know what a person means when we hear a foreigner say it.  ;)

except here on the boards where I posted my beach photos in the 'Post Your Holiday Photos Here' thread and then realised everyone else was posting Christmassy things.

Written By: adagio on 04/07/08 at 10:51 pm

I thought October first was the start of the christmas season... at least it is in retail  ;D

That's funny...wouldn't it be 'black Friday' when people get dead serious?

Written By: snozberries on 04/07/08 at 10:52 pm

except here on the boards where I posted my beach photos in the 'Post Your Holiday Photos Here' thread and then realised everyone else was posting Christmassy things.

I forgot about that thread  ;D  okay that's funny

Written By: karen on 04/10/08 at 10:48 am

Some more I sorted out yesterday.

Bobby pins/hair grips/kirby grips
Barettes/clip/slide

Written By: mandamoo on 04/11/08 at 6:11 am

I had to think twice when I posted my Tassie picture the other day, almost doing the same thing as you Karen !  :D

Written By: mandamoo on 04/11/08 at 6:12 am

Some more I sorted out yesterday.

Bobby pins/hair grips/kirby grips
Barettes/clip/slide

Bobby pins and clips here

Written By: Howard on 04/11/08 at 6:15 am

Bobby pins and clips here

Does Bobby know he's named after clips? ;D

Written By: karen on 10/17/08 at 1:11 pm

There are a few words that are trade marks/company names that we use: Kleenex (tissue), Xerox (copy/copier), Levis (jeans/denim),
Coke (cola/soda), etc. etc.

Cat and I were talking about this thread on Monday and a post someone else made in the Food board reminded me again to post here.

I spoke to some mums (moms!) about making a meal in a slow cooker and one of them had no idea what I was talking about.  Then someone else said it was a crock pot.  Crock Pot is the brand name for a slow cooker.

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/17/08 at 2:02 pm

My little knowledge of U.K. slang from my sister in law:

UK Fag = US Cigarette
UK Bin=US Garbage can
UK Lolly = US Popsicle

Written By: karen on 10/17/08 at 3:38 pm

UK Lolly = US Popsicle

I would also call a sweet (candy) like a Dum-Dum a lolly.

What I would call a handbag or shoulder bag seems to be called a purse here.  Not sure what people call what they keep their money in (change purse perhaps?)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/17/08 at 4:06 pm

I would also call a sweet (candy) like a Dum-Dum a lolly.

What I would call a handbag or shoulder bag seems to be called a purse here.  Not sure what people call what they keep their money in (change purse perhaps?)

These are change purses

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:Gum4JvdHlUXBzM:http://www.keychainworld.com/Imgs/256ChangePurse.jpg

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:GLzNf9SiMX0xHM:http://www.weddingthings.com/images/uploads/1158_1514_large.jpg

Most people keep their money in a wallet.

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:03ELoBTv5BEpLM:http://www.mupolice.com/cp/images/Wallet-002.gif]

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:YuyYrR3Zu8JdWM:http://www.protectabadge.co.uk/travel%2520wallet5.jpg

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 10/17/08 at 4:34 pm

I was watching dragon's den last night and apparently a Lurrie (sp?) is a semi or a tractor trailer or an 18 wheeler or whatever you call those big trucks where you're from...  ;D

Written By: gibbo on 10/17/08 at 6:01 pm

I was watching dragon's den last night and apparently a Lurrie (sp?) is a semi or a tractor trailer or an 18 wheeler or whatever you call those big trucks where you're from...  ;D

I think it a 'lorrie' in the UK.  We call them semi's over here...or 18 wheeler's etc. I find we are becoming more and more 'Amercanized' with our speech patterns (and general pop culture) as we watch a huge amount of U.S. TV and movie content etc.

Written By: snozberries on 10/17/08 at 6:02 pm

I think it a 'lorrie' in the UK.  We call them semi's over here...or 18 wheeler's etc. I find we are becoming more and more 'Amercanized' with our speech patterns (and general pop culture) as we watch a huge amount of U.S. TV and movie content etc.

and that's a good thing  O0

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/17/08 at 6:18 pm

I usually spell lorrie as lorry.

Written By: gibbo on 10/17/08 at 6:29 pm

I usually spell lorrie as lorry.

Yeah...that's it...I was concentrating so much on the o (instead of u)... :-[

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/17/08 at 6:30 pm

Yeah...that's it...I was concentrating so much on the o (instead of u)... :-[
If heard phonetically, that could be the way to spell it, even as laurie

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/17/08 at 6:39 pm

If heard phonetically, that could be the way to spell it, even as laurie

Or Lori?  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: gibbo on 10/17/08 at 6:52 pm

Or Lori?  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

I am now remembering Lori Patridge.... ::)

Written By: karen on 10/17/08 at 7:33 pm

These are change purses

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:Gum4JvdHlUXBzM:http://www.keychainworld.com/Imgs/256ChangePurse.jpg

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:GLzNf9SiMX0xHM:http://www.weddingthings.com/images/uploads/1158_1514_large.jpg

Most people keep their money in a wallet.

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:03ELoBTv5BEpLM:http://www.mupolice.com/cp/images/Wallet-002.gif]

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:YuyYrR3Zu8JdWM:http://www.protectabadge.co.uk/travel%2520wallet5.jpg

Cat

I wonder what you'd call mine.  It has space for change, paper money and cards.  Also it has a key ring on it. Anyway I call it a purse and I keep it in my handbag.

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/17/08 at 7:54 pm

In a pear tree?? ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Howard on 10/17/08 at 8:02 pm

Who's She? ???

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/17/08 at 8:08 pm

In a pear tree?? ;D ;D ;D

Well it's not Lori Partridge, but her younger brother...

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m219/dbwit/132044uAcy_w.jpg

;D

Written By: Howard on 10/17/08 at 8:09 pm

Well it's not Lori Partridge, but her younger brother...

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m219/dbwit/132044uAcy_w.jpg

;D

What's he doing up in a tree?

Written By: karen on 10/17/08 at 8:10 pm

Looks like he's about to burst into song

Written By: snozberries on 10/17/08 at 8:10 pm

He's really a monkey wearing a human suit!  ;D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/17/08 at 8:11 pm

Who's She? ???

Lori Partridge was the name of the eldest daughter in the t.v. series, Partridge Family.  You are probably too young to remember it.  I'm barely old enough to remember myself.   :-http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh49/daphnespace/1970stuff/partridge.jpg

Written By: Howard on 10/17/08 at 8:12 pm

He's really a monkey wearing a human suit!  ;D

and doing drugs.

Written By: snozberries on 10/17/08 at 8:14 pm

and doing drugs.

the drugs came later.

Written By: Howard on 10/17/08 at 8:16 pm

the drugs came later.

Maybe that's why he's up in a tree.

Written By: statsqueen on 10/17/08 at 9:24 pm

I've been chatting w/ someone in Scotland for a number of years.  I have learned a lot of his lingo from those conversations.  A lot of them have already been discussed (hoovering vs vacuuming, jumper vs sweater, etc.), others I can't remember off the top of my head.  There is something that he just said the other night that--if I remember correctly--was actually mentioned/explained in a different thread on the boards...

UK:  Crack as in "have a good crack"....to have a laugh, something that is fun/funny
US:  Generally thought of as a hard street drug derivative of cocaine

Another one that I don't recall seeing on here:

UK:  chips = US french fries
UK: crisps =  US potato chips

I've noticed one thing that even varies in the US by region is how various geographic areas refer to pop/soda, etc.  I live in the midwest, where we call it pop (at least the people I know).  Out east (at least when I worked in Jersey), when I said pop, they said it was called soda.  When I think of soda, I think of club soda.  I don't have any proof, but it wouldn't surprise me if people in Atlanta, Georgia just referred to all pop/soda/soda pop as Coke since that where they have the main bottling plant.  :)

Written By: gibbo on 10/17/08 at 9:27 pm

Lori Partridge was the name of the eldest daughter in the t.v. series, Partridge Family.  You are probably too young to remember it.  I'm barely old enough to remember myself.   :-http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh49/daphnespace/1970stuff/partridge.jpg

.... and I must be Methuzela!!  :-\\  .....and Howard, don't ask who Methuzela was!  ;D

Written By: karen on 10/17/08 at 9:47 pm

I've been chatting w/ someone in Scotland for a number of years.  I have learned a lot of his lingo from those conversations.  A lot of them have already been discussed (hoovering vs vacuuming, jumper vs sweater, etc.), others I can't remember off the top of my head.  There is something that he just said the other night that--if I remember correctly--was actually mentioned/explained in a different thread on the boards...

UK:  Crack as in "have a good crack"....to have a laugh, something that is fun/funny

Well I was going to correct your spelling and say it was craic from the Gaelic but it seems that this might be wrong  crack/craic

Written By: snozberries on 10/17/08 at 11:26 pm

I've noticed one thing that even varies in the US by region is how various geographic areas refer to pop/soda, etc.  I live in the midwest, where we call it pop (at least the people I know).  Out east (at least when I worked in Jersey), when I said pop, they said it was called soda.  When I think of soda, I think of club soda.  I don't have any proof, but it wouldn't surprise me if people in Atlanta, Georgia just referred to all pop/soda/soda pop as Coke since that where they have the main bottling plant.   :)

my friend from San Jose Ca always says, when she wants someone to exit the car, "Get down" and I immediately start dancing in my seat.  It took her awhile to figure out why I always did that  ;D

Written By: Howard on 10/18/08 at 5:37 am

.... and I must be Methuzela!!  :-\\   .....and Howard, don't ask who Methuzela was!  ;D

No,I won't ask. ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/18/08 at 11:17 am

Another one that I don't recall seeing on here:

UK:  chips = US french fries
UK: crisps =  US potato chips

I've noticed one thing that even varies in the US by region is how various geographic areas refer to pop/soda, etc.  I live in the midwest, where we call it pop (at least the people I know).  Out east (at least when I worked in Jersey), when I said pop, they said it was called soda.  When I think of soda, I think of club soda.  I don't have any proof, but it wouldn't surprise me if people in Atlanta, Georgia just referred to all pop/soda/soda pop as Coke since that where they have the main bottling plant.   :)

I always say "crack me up" or "cracked up" when talking about laughing.

Oh, and btw, it is soda.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/22/08 at 7:24 pm

Lori Partridge was the name of the eldest daughter in the t.v. series, Partridge Family.  You are probably too young to remember it.  I'm barely old enough to remember myself.  :-http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh49/daphnespace/1970stuff/partridge.jpg

Maybe from LA Law would jar the memory.. But alas I am old enough to remember the Partridge Family

Written By: karen on 05/21/10 at 10:14 am

I could start a new topic but this is, in general, a good thread so I'll revive it!

I am going camping with the Girl Scouts this weekend.  There was some discussion amongst the adults about making coffee.  I offered to bring a cafetiere along, someone else was going to buy a french press coffee maker.  Turns out that cafetiere = french press coffee maker!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/21/10 at 10:27 am

I could start a new topic but this is, in general, a good thread so I'll revive it!

I am going camping with the Girl Scouts this weekend.  There was some discussion amongst the adults about making coffee.  I offered to bring a cafetiere along, someone else was going to buy a french press coffee maker.  Turns out that cafetiere = french press coffee maker!

That is a new one on me. I never heard of a cafetiere OR a French press coffee maker-but then again, I don't drink coffee so it is not something that I would know about.

Cat

Written By: gibbo on 05/21/10 at 5:07 pm

That is a new one on me. I never heard of a cafetiere OR a French press coffee maker-but then again, I don't drink coffee so it is not something that I would know about.

Cat

I still drink Nescafe (43 beans in every cup)...  I've never heard of either machine before.

Written By: Dagwood on 05/21/10 at 5:39 pm

Cat

I drink coffee and don't know what they are either.  Boring old Mr. Coffee for me.

Written By: 2kidsami on 05/21/10 at 6:05 pm

I have a french press, but have never heard of cafetiere (is that a name brand????) 

My french press is clear and similar to this one (but not quite as fancy)
http://daytondaily.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/french_press.jpg

Written By: karen on 05/21/10 at 8:33 pm

I have a french press, but have never heard of cafetiere (is that a name brand????) 

That's the jobby.  I think they are all known as that.  Though it might once have been the brand name.  See earlier discussions in this thread on hoovering and also biro pens

Written By: Gis on 05/23/10 at 2:47 pm

In the UK, the Netherlands, and Ireland the device is known as a cafetière, the French word for a coffee maker or pot.

Wiki is my friend!  ;)

Written By: Henk on 05/23/10 at 3:41 pm

In the UK, the Netherlands, and Ireland the device is known as a cafetière, the French word for a coffee maker or pot.

Wiki is my friend!  ;)

I was just about to post that - though I've never used one myself.

Oh, and UK crisps = US chips = chips in Holland, too.

Written By: karen on 05/24/10 at 8:04 am

UK torch = US flashlight

Written By: Henk on 05/24/10 at 8:51 am

Correct me if I'm wrong on this..

Lift (UK) = Elevator (US)

Which made me think: what about Give sb. a lift/ride? Is there a difference between US and UK? ???

Written By: karen on 05/24/10 at 8:53 am

Correct me if I'm wrong on this..

Lift (UK) = Elevator (US)

Which made me think: what about Give sb. a lift/ride? Is there a difference between US and UK? ???

You are correct in the lift/elevator thing.  And in the UK I would offer someone a lift in my car.  In the US I think in general that is referred to a ride

Written By: karen on 05/24/10 at 8:54 am

In the UK I would "ring" someone on the phone and in the US most people "call" someone on the phone.  Though the guy at the music place we have lessons uses "ring"

Written By: Henk on 05/24/10 at 8:59 am

And in the UK I would offer someone a lift in my car.  In the US I think in general that is referred to a ride

That's what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure. Thanks. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/24/10 at 9:55 am

You are correct in the lift/elevator thing.  And in the UK I would offer someone a lift in my car.  In the US I think in general that is referred to a ride

With the car, I have said both. "Can you give me a lift?" or "Can you give me a ride?"

Cat

Written By: Gis on 05/24/10 at 3:28 pm

In the UK I would "ring" someone on the phone and in the US most people "call" someone on the phone.  Though the guy at the music place we have lessons uses "ring"
on that note in the U.K you have a mobile phone in the U.S you have a cell phone.

Written By: gibbo on 05/24/10 at 3:54 pm

....and in  the UK (and Australia) people live in Flats whereas they live in an apartment (or condo) in the U.S.

Written By: Henk on 05/24/10 at 4:00 pm

....and in  the UK (and Australia) people live in Flats whereas they live in an apartment (or condo) in the U.S.

It's called a flat in Holland as well. Which is rather weird, when you think about it. What's flat about a 20 storey building?

Speaking of which: ground floor (UK) = first floor (US); first floor (UK) = second floor (US) etc.

Written By: snozberries on 05/25/10 at 1:03 pm

I bought one of these as a gift before... I bought it in the US and on the box it said cafetiere....  I didn't know what it was or what it did tho... I just thought it would make a good gift  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 05/25/10 at 1:06 pm

It's called a flat in Holland as well. Which is rather weird, when you think about it. What's flat about a 20 storey building?

Speaking of which: ground floor (UK) = first floor (US); first floor (UK) = second floor (US) etc.

we sometimes use term ground floor as well but, you're right... whether we say ground floor or first floor we're talking street level. and anything above that is 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc...

Written By: Henk on 05/25/10 at 4:21 pm

we sometimes use term ground floor as well but, you're right... whether we say ground floor or first floor we're talking street level. and anything above that is 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc...

It's complicated, even in Dutch. The apartment building I live in has three storeys, but the first one isn't street level. In Dutch, the ground floor is called Begane grond, and one storey up (where I live) would be Eerste verdieping/Eerste etage. However, I'm more inclined to say I live on the Tweede verdieping/tweede etage (second floor), with the ground floor not being street level (but one flight of stairs up).
When people ask me which floor I live on, I just never know how to answer. :-\\

Written By: snozberries on 05/25/10 at 4:44 pm

It's complicated, even in Dutch. The apartment building I live in has three storeys, but the first one isn't street level. In Dutch, the ground floor is called Begane grond, and one storey up (where I live) would be Eerste verdieping/Eerste etage. However, I'm more inclined to say I live on the Tweede verdieping/tweede etage (second floor), with the ground floor not being street level (but one flight of stairs up).
When people ask me which floor I live on, I just never know how to answer. :-\\

that is complicated..... most bldgs I've been in that have a level below ground use B for Below Ground (or Basement)

typically... if a bldg uses the floor level in room numbering their offices or apts  then its something like this...

1st floor (ground level)  1101, 1102, 1103 etc...
2nd floor  2101, 2102 etc
3rd floor 3101, 3102 etc...

and for the basement they use 0 ie. 0101, 0102 

Written By: mooster on 05/29/10 at 11:51 pm

They're known as Coffee Plungers here.

Written By: gibbo on 05/30/10 at 12:00 am

I would like to confirm that comment...

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/30/10 at 1:38 am

I was wondering about food terminology.

English Muffin here (Would that just be called a muffin in the UK?)

French Toast is called what in France... Toast?

Cream puffs are profiteroles (or some such term) in Belgium, I guess.

French Fries are Pom Friettes in Belgium? 

Not sure what thick french fries are called, they are generally known as steak fries here (I guess because it is usually the type of fries served with a steak in a steakhouse), shoestring potatoes are thin fries here.

Written By: gibbo on 05/30/10 at 4:34 am

Cream puffs are profiteroles (or some such term) in Belgium, I guess.

Not sure what thick french fries are called, they are generally known as steak fries here (I guess because it is usually the type of fries served with a steak in a steakhouse), shoestring potatoes are thin fries here.

Thicker fries have always been called Chips over here. We always had fish and chips on Friday nights (when growing up). I only ever saw the thinner French Fries when the first McDonalds arrived in a suburb near me (in the late 70's I think).

Written By: Gis on 05/30/10 at 5:32 am

Thicker fries have always been called Chips over here. We always had fish and chips on Friday nights (when growing up). I only ever saw the thinner French Fries when the first McDonalds arrived in a suburb near me (in the late 70's I think).
Same in the U.K we only had thick 'chips' until Mac D's opened with their thin 'fries'

A cream puff in the U.K is a cream cake made with puff pastry with fresh cream and jam in it.

http://www.fotobank.ru/img/FC02-7465.jpg?size=l

Profiteroles are small balls of choux pastry filled with cream piled in a dish and covered in chocolate sauce.

Not sure what French toast is in France.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/30/10 at 11:25 am

In France they are known as "Pommes Pont-Neuf" and in some parts of the U.S. they are known as "Freedom Fries."  ::)

Cat

Written By: karen on 05/30/10 at 9:24 pm

Either muffin or crumpet depending on where you live

Is that bread dipped in egg?  Then we either called it eggy bread or gypsy toast

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/31/10 at 11:14 am

In Puerto Rico "guagua" is slang for bus.  While I was living in Chile this caused some confusion when I asked a cop when I could find my guagua.  In Chile it is slang for baby.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/01/10 at 12:41 am

I was watching a British food blog on youtube and they used the term "Double" Cream, I'm guessing it is equivilant to what we call "Heavy" Cream here.  Can anyone confirm or steer me in the right direction?

Written By: karen on 06/01/10 at 5:43 am

I was watching a British food blog on youtube and they used the term "Double" Cream, I'm guessing it is equivilant to what we call "Heavy" Cream here.  Can anyone confirm or steer me in the right direction?

that's right Patty, double cream is the same as heavy cream.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/01/10 at 8:34 pm

Thanks karen.  :)  We weren't sure if it were heavy cream or buttermilk.  :-\\

Written By: karen on 06/01/10 at 8:43 pm

Thanks karen.  :)   We weren't sure if it were heavy cream or buttermilk.   :-\\

buttermilk isn't all that common in the UK.  At least I don't recall ever using it.

Written By: Gis on 06/02/10 at 4:09 am

buttermilk isn't all that common in the UK.  At least I don't recall ever using it.
only for scones as far as I can think, disgusting stuff it is anyway!  ;D

Written By: karen on 06/02/10 at 6:45 am

only for scones as far as I can think, disgusting stuff it is anyway!  ;D

The scone recipe I use has regular milk as the liquid, but you're right, another book I have uses buttermilk.  I checked late last night to make sure it was called something else in the UK!

Written By: karen on 06/15/10 at 2:16 pm

A similar but different thing is hand gestures.

I've noticed that here in the US most kids, at least, see no difference in showing the front or the back of their first two fingers.  Either is used as a peace sign.  In the UK showing the back of the hand towards another person is an obscene gesture "flicking the V's" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-fingered_salute#V_sign_as_an_insult

Written By: Howard on 06/15/10 at 2:49 pm

I've noticed that here in the US most kids, at least, see no difference in showing the front or the back of their first two fingers.  Either is used as a peace sign.  In the UK showing the back of the hand towards another person is an obscene gesture "flicking the V's" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-fingered_salute#V_sign_as_an_insult

Is that true? Wow!  :o

Written By: Gis on 06/16/10 at 6:30 am

Is that true? Wow!  :o
Yup, the gesture is usually accompanied with the words 'Up yours' or 'F**k you'

Written By: Howard on 06/16/10 at 6:47 am

So what about flipping the bird,that's an eff you gesture too. ???

Written By: karen on 06/16/10 at 12:05 pm

So what about flipping the bird,that's an eff you gesture too. ???

Yes it is

Written By: Frank on 06/16/10 at 4:05 pm

Don't buy a clock for A Chinese person ( like I almost did)
The word in Chinese sound almost the same as attending someone's funeral. It's bad luck.

Written By: snozberries on 06/24/10 at 11:45 am

first time I was aware of this was when Spike presented the gesture to Xander in the Hush ep of Buffy!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/36/S410_Spike.png

Written By: gibbo on 06/24/10 at 6:40 pm

Same thing in Australia...

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/24/10 at 6:44 pm

I was watching a trivia show recently, apparently a slang term for a monarch butterfly in canada is "King billy"
http://www.sierrapotomac.org/W_Needham/Pictures/MonarchButterfly_050912.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/21/15 at 1:05 pm

Display Cabinet (UK) = Hutch (USA)

Written By: Redhairkid on 09/02/15 at 12:40 pm

In Britain and Ireland, a hutch is what you house a pet rabbit in.

Written By: snozberries on 09/02/15 at 12:41 pm

In Britain and Ireland, a hutch is what you house a pet rabbit in.

we also call that a hutch in the US too... we just have multiple meanings for the word hutch

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/03/15 at 12:27 am

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b0/DDMA.jpghttps://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fb/Everything%27s_Cool_Pt2.jpg

fxYyTHEwO7U

In chaos and riots, the screech of machines
No right and no wrong, and no in between
Fall one by one, the queen to her fool
Dos dedos mis amigos - everything's cool

- Pop Will Eat Itself, (Two Fingers, My Friends), Everything's Cool, 1994.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/28/22 at 4:45 pm

When I saw this, I thought of this thread.

https://assets.amuniversal.com/30c3e6706feb013a97a6005056a9545d

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 02/28/22 at 7:43 pm

In Canada, a Corn Dog is known as a Pogo. 
Pogo is a company that makes them, so the name just stuck

Written By: karen on 03/02/22 at 1:33 pm

When I saw this, I thought of this thread.

https://assets.amuniversal.com/30c3e6706feb013a97a6005056a9545d

Cat

I know it is just a cartoon, but I can’t let it go without comment.

Brits are perfectly able to understand the difference between pounds money and pounds weight in the context of the sentence. We use stones, pounds and ounces, where a stone is the same as 14 pounds. So I might still say to someone “You should wear that outfit more often - it takes pounds off you”

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/02/22 at 2:28 pm

Brits are perfectly able to understand the difference between pounds money and pounds weight in the context of the sentence. We use stones, pounds and ounces, where a stone is the same as 14 pounds. So I might still say to someone “You should wear that outfit more often - it takes pounds off you”

I know that Brits are a lot smarter than than these two characters (who are on the dim side).

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/04/22 at 9:58 am

Its a take-off on the old baseball routine:  Who's on first...

Check for new replies or respond here...