inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Home decorating/renovating ideas

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/31/08 at 12:46 pm

I thought it would be cool to have a thread where we can ask advice from one another on decorating or home improvement ideas.

Here is my newest dilema.  We are planning on tearing up our old carpeting (going up the stairs, in the upstairs hallway, and in the bedrooms), and putting down a wooden or nice laminate flooring...BUT, our steps are ugly underneath the carpeting...and I don't know what to do with them. Do they make runners that extend the entire width of your staircase (so that none of the ugly steps are showing)? Any ideas? Also, have any of you painted your steps before? What color? How did they turn out?

Subject: Re: Home decorating/renovating ideas

Written By: Gis on 03/31/08 at 2:23 pm

I thought it would be cool to have a thread where we can ask advice from one another on decorating or home improvement ideas.

Here is my newest dilema.  We are planning on tearing up our old carpeting (going up the stairs, in the upstairs hallway, and in the bedrooms), and putting down a wooden or nice laminate flooring...BUT, our steps are ugly underneath the carpeting...and I don't know what to do with them. Do they make runners that extend the entire width of your staircase (so that none of the ugly steps are showing)? Any ideas? Also, have any of you painted your steps before? What color? How did they turn out?
My brother had this done and very quickly went back to carpet on the stairs. The noise of none carpeted stairs is UNBELIEVABLE and they were draughty too. They have carpet fitted to the stairs all the way across the tread and it looks really good.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/31/08 at 3:59 pm

It is really hard to give you advice without seeing what it looks like and such. A few years back when we took over the whole house, the front stairs which is hard wood, probably either oak or maple were a mess due to years of people coming in with wet shoes and such. Carlos took a sander and went to town on the stairs. There was dust EVERYWHERE!!!  :P And then he polyurethaned them (at least 2 coats-maybe three). Not too sure if you can see it but here is the end result. 

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/31/08 at 4:04 pm

^Those are lovely pictures, Cat!  :)

We have a single-story house, so I really can't give you any advice regarding what to do with your stairs...

We do have a nice laminate down in our living/dining room and hallway area that my hubby installed a couple of years ago...and I must say I love it!  It's so much easier to clean than carpeting!  :D 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/31/08 at 5:02 pm

^Those are lovely pictures, Cat!  :)

We have a single-story house, so I really can't give you any advice regarding what to do with your stairs...

We do have a nice laminate down in our living/dining room and hallway area that my hubby installed a couple of years ago...and I must say I love it!  It's so much easier to clean than carpeting!  :D 

Thanks. I would love for Carlos to do that with the dinning room but there are a few problems with that:

1. It is a much bigger room and it would be more work for him to do and it doesn't seem fair to ask him to do it.
2. A bigger room means more dust EVERYWHERE!!!!
3. Keeping the cats out of the way.
4. Keeping US out of the way since it is in the center of the house.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/31/08 at 10:27 pm

thanks for the advice guys! Cat, your stairway is beautiful..I would love for mine to look like that! Maybe once I tear all of the carpet off..I will post some pics of it. :)

Written By: Gis on 04/01/08 at 2:48 am

Lovely staircase Cat. I should add that having a child charging up and down the stairs accounted for a lot of the noise polution in my brother's house.

Written By: Howard on 04/01/08 at 6:59 am

We've been living in this house for 35 years and I don't think we have any more money to decorate right now.

Written By: Howard on 04/01/08 at 6:59 am

It is really hard to give you advice without seeing what it looks like and such. A few years back when we took over the whole house, the front stairs which is hard wood, probably either oak or maple were a mess due to years of people coming in with wet shoes and such. Carlos took a sander and went to town on the stairs. There was dust EVERYWHERE!!!  :P And then he polyurethaned them (at least 2 coats-maybe three). Not too sure if you can see it but here is the end result. 

Cat

Beautiful.  :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/01/08 at 8:59 am

Yes, we have been getting ready to do some major changes to the house. We are putting a new front porch and porch roof on this spring...currently our old porch is all ripped apart.  Then, like I said, we are tearing up the carpets and putting wood floor in. I also want to paint most of the rooms, finish our kitchen (which is half done...I need to get tile for the backsplash..and I want to re-tile the floors with a black/white checkered theme), and I want to redecorate Vaughn's bedroom...we are doing a space/astronaut theme). Yes..we are going to be very busy this spring/summer! :)

Check for new replies or respond here...