inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Flypass in over London

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/01/08 at 3:55 pm

Today saw the celebrations to mark the  90th anniversary of the RAF, formed in 1918, when the Army’s Royal Flying Corps and the Royal Naval Air Service were merged creating a third British military force. The flypass by the Red Arrows and Typhoons was viewed at the lenght of the River Thames in Central London.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00310/red2_385x185_310979a.jpg

Subject: Re: Flypass in over London

Written By: Bobby on 04/01/08 at 4:39 pm

Luckily the planes didn't set off from Heathrow otherwise they would have been delayed with most of their luggage missing.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/01/08 at 4:40 pm

Luckily the planes didn't set off from Heathrow otherwise they would have been delayed with most of their luggage missing.  ;D
I was thinking that there should be no baggage on those planes.

Written By: Bobby on 04/01/08 at 4:41 pm

I was thinking that there should be no baggage on those planes.

If there were luggage on those planes they wouldn't be on them.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/01/08 at 4:52 pm

Today saw the celebrations to mark the  90th anniversary of the RAF, formed in 1918, when the Army’s Royal Flying Corps and the Royal Naval Air Service were merged creating a third British military force. The flypass by the Red Arrows and Typhoons was viewed at the lenght of the River Thames in Central London.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00310/red2_385x185_310979a.jpg

that's a pretty picture... fantastic really

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/01/08 at 7:31 pm

Beautiful.  Thanks for sharing. :)

Written By: NbC on 04/01/08 at 8:10 pm

That is a gorgeous shot!

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/03/08 at 12:59 am

If you ever get the chance, take a flight in a WW1/2-era aircraft.

I really can't put into words anything beyond this: if you've ever wondered what it was really like up there, you must seek out a suitable museum or group of vintage aircraft on tour and do this.

But I'm going to try anyway.  Take the loudest noise you've ever heard.  You have an eighth of an inch of steel between you and the propellers -- a jackhammer at 10 feet is quiet by comparison.  Then take the most concentrated exhaust fumes you've ever inhaled.  That crazy redneck who cut out his catalytic converters and muffler for more power, and who managed to find some leaded gasoline?  Smells kinda like that.  You'll get that -- and your imagination can fill in the parts about "miserable weather and horrible turbulence" (your pilot will have waited for a perfect flying day because there are only a handful of such aircraft still flying), "freezing cold" (you'll be flying at 1500 feet and comfortable in your street clothes, as opposed to freezing through the heaviest leather jackets made by man at 15000 feet), "time" (you'll be coming home within the hour, not 6-12 hours later), and the minor detail of "for at least three hours, everyone you see will be trying to kill you."

You will have a fantastic time, you will remember it for the rest of your life, and although you will still now know what it was like up there, your brief taste will give you a much greater appreciation for it than you could ever get through television or literary documentaries.

Written By: Gis on 04/03/08 at 2:56 am

Before he retired, organising the R.A.F side of these things was my Dad's job. I remember him telling me when they did the flypast, line-up shown below

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/9194/qbf20065hn.jpg

The poor jets were practically falling out of the sky. They had to fly so slowly behind the Lancaster they were almost stalling! It has never been planned that way again! It was a clear indication of the skill of the pilots though.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/03/08 at 3:03 am

Before he retired, organising the R.A.F side of these things was my Dad's job. I remember him telling me when they did the flypast, line-up shown below

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/9194/qbf20065hn.jpg

The poor jets were practically falling out of the sky. They had to fly so slowly behind the Lancaster they were almost stalling! It has never been planned that way again! It was a clear indication of the skill of the pilots though.
There was a huge flypasses for one the anniversaries  of V-E (or V-J) Day, or the Queen's Succession to the Throne. Was the flypass your father organised one of those, or is it Officials Secrets?

I can recall seeing one fly over within the last 10 years.

Written By: Gis on 04/03/08 at 3:06 am

There was a huge flypasses for one the anniversaries  of V-E (or V-J) Day, or the Queen's Succession to the Throne. Was the flypass your father organised one of those, or is it Officials Secrets?

I can recall seeing one fly over within the last 10 years.
Yeah that would have involved him, I do recall that one too, I think it was VE day.

Maybe I shouldn't say but then I've never signed the official secrets act.......... ;D 

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/03/08 at 3:11 am

Yeah that would have involved him, I do recall that one too, I think it was VE day.
Was that the same time as Brian May on the top of Buckingham Palace?

Queen plays on Queen?

Written By: Gis on 04/03/08 at 5:37 am

Was that the same time as Brian May on the top of Buckingham Palace?

Queen plays on Queen?
No that was her birthday.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/03/08 at 5:38 am

No that was her birthday.
Oh yes, thanks for reminding me.

An Error Has Occurred!
Sorry, you can't repeat a karma action without waiting 24 hours. 

Check for new replies or respond here...