inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Reunions (High School, Class of ####, etc...)

Written By: Henk on 04/05/08 at 10:12 am

You go there? ??? Tell us your stories. Share your pictures (if you have any). We want to know (well, I do  :P).

I visit them as much as possible, although I hardly ever meet the people that I hope to meet (again). In The Netherlands, we usually have reunions to mark a jubilee of an entire (high / elementary) school, not so much of a class. The "class of ####" type reunion seems to be more of an American thing, but maybe I'm wrong. What is it that makes it so special, I wonder? ???

I was thinking about this, because in exactly two weeks from now I will be attending a high school reunion, and I'm very much looking forward to it. :) Not only because I will get the chance to reunite with some old friends/class mates (most of which I haven't seen or spoken with in nearly 25 years), but also because I get to see and hear this man in action:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/2/17/785141/AlidesHidding.jpg

...Yeah, that's right.  :P Eat your heart out, Jason!

And for all the others (that don't have a clue as to what I'm talking about):

Alides Hidding was the lead singer of Time Bandits, a popular Dutch 1980s band.
Here's a selection of their songs:

I’m Specialized In You (#2) | I’m Only Shooting Love (#6) | Endless Road (#16) | Dancing on a String (#28) | I Won’t Steal Away (#18)

Alides Hidding also did a cover of "Hollywood Seven" (before he formed Time Bandits), which is still on my list of all time favorite covers. I hope he will be performing that song as well. 8)

Subject: Re: Reunions (High School, Class of ####, etc...)

Written By: thereshegoes on 04/05/08 at 10:37 am

This is a great topic,Henk 8) Hope you have fun at your reunion!

Me i never went to one. Last year i had a chance to attend my 10 years highschool reunion because i was here but i didn't go 'cause i was at a bad time.

I still talk with the some of my friends from that time and to be honest the ones i haven't kept in touch with i'm not that interested in seeing again,plus i always have the feeling this sort of event is all about gushing how perfect their lives are and make other people feel inadequate ::)

Written By: Red Ant on 04/05/08 at 12:38 pm

This is a great topic,Henk 8) Hope you have fun at your reunion!

Me i never went to one. Last year i had a chance to attend my 10 years highschool reunion because i was here but i didn't go 'cause i was at a bad time.

I still talk with the some of my friends from that time and to be honest the ones i haven't kept in touch with i'm not that interested in seeing again,plus i always have the feeling this sort of event is all about gushing how perfect their lives are and make other people feel inadequate ::)

I feel about the same way. I didn't get an invite to my 10 year reunion, and neither did any of my friends who graduated the same year. I thought the reunion didn't take place, until I ran into Cathy (whom I hadn't seen since high school) later that summer. She said she got an invite, but didn't go because there was virtually no one from high school she really wanted to see again either.

I keep in touch with a half a dozen or so people that graduated with me.

Ant

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/05/08 at 12:51 pm

I went to two different high schools. The first one, I went for 2 years and then moved in my senior year. The first school was the one that I felt more connected with-knew more people, etc. Of course it was a very small school-graduating class was about 200 or so. The school that I graduated from had a class of over 1,000 and I only went there for one year so I didn't connect as much. I found out about a reunion for the school that I DIDN'T graduate from about 6 months AFTER the reunion (saw the photos on classmates.com). Some reunion organizers only contact those who graduated-not those who attended in previous years (does that make sense?). I did hear about reunions from the school I did graduate from but chose not to go. I don't think there would be anyone I would know. I mention that to the person who contacted me about it and she said that she looks forward to meeting people she didn't meet in high school. That is one way to look at it.

I have gone to Alumni weekend at my college but that is because it is only about 5 miles from my house.

Cat 

Written By: ninny on 04/05/08 at 1:09 pm

I haven't been since my 5th,did not go to my 10th,did not get invited since then,this year it will be 30years,I'm lucky if I've seen a handful of classmates since we graduated.

Written By: Henk on 04/05/08 at 2:25 pm

Well, I haven't exactly kept in touch with my old class mates either. As a matter of fact, I can think of only one right now that I have kept contact with over the years (and I've known the guy since we were like 7 years old  :o).

The only time I get to see other former class/school mates is at reunions, basically. It's crazy...I wouldn't recognize most of them, even if I ran into them today. The thing that confuses me most is that it's usually others that recognize me...and then I'm like "Right...Yes...And you are..?" Embarrasses the heck out of me. ;D

Anyway...invitations. It's not common practice over here to send out (personal) invitations for reunions. Of course, we're a small country, so it's easier to reach people (by announcement in one of our national newspapers, for instance). From there, it's down to word of mouth advertising. There's always people that know people that have kept in touch with people... (and so on). And then of course, there's the internet...
It's impossible to reach everyone. Some people just seem to have vanished from the surface of the earth, without a trace. Well, those people aren't likely to be interested in a reunion in the first place.
What I'm saying is: if you missed a reunion, you've only got yourself to blame. That's our policy.

Written By: statsqueen on 04/05/08 at 2:37 pm

Henk,

I hope you have a wonderful time.  Can't wait to hear about it.

My friend and I got talked into going to our 5th, which we swore we wouldn't (we weren't exactly "popular" in HS).  Ended up having a good time.  I went to my 10th and in 2005 went to my 20th.  Sounds strange given what an outsider I was all through school, but I ended up having a great time.  I only talk to 2 people I graduated with on a regular basis (and ever since Lisa moved to KY, our contact has been email).  However, I connected (can't say re-connected because we weren't close in school) with someone at the reunion and after 3 yrs, he looked me up in the directory (couldn't believe he remembered where I live) and phoned me.  He has texted me since that 1.5 hr phone call, but has acted weird, so just chalking it up to one of those things.  I am currently on classmates.com, but rely on my "big brother" who still lives in the area and keeps in touch with people to keep me informed on our 25th in 2010.

I was surprised at how many really hadn't changed and they said the same thing about me.  Yeah, well, there weren't many 4-11 graduates and I didn't grow after graduation  ;D  I don't run into any of them by chance because I live a few hours away.  I was surprised by how many were still in the area, though we did have a fair number move to different states.  Our graduating class had 117.  If Micah had stayed at the Big Rapids High School, she would have had about 200, but now that she is in the Charter school, she has about 40 in her class. 

Written By: gibbo on 04/05/08 at 7:00 pm

Henk ..I'm sure you'll have a good time.  I went to my 20th and last year my 30th class reunions. All I can say is ...thank God for name tags/badges..... ::)

Strange thing is that the years preceding and directly after my graduating year (1977) have never had a reunion. It comes down to what that particular year's class was like ...how close etc. I met my best friend/mate back in 1969....

Were you talking about the song Hollywood Seven by Jon English?

Written By: whistledog on 04/05/08 at 7:26 pm

You go there? ??? Tell us your stories. Share your pictures (if you have any). We want to know (well, I do  :P).

I visit them as much as possible, although I hardly ever meet the people that I hope to meet (again). In The Netherlands, we usually have reunions to mark a jubilee of an entire (high / elementary) school, not so much of a class. The "class of ####" type reunion seems to be more of an American thing, but maybe I'm wrong. What is it that makes it so special, I wonder? ???

I was thinking about this, because in exactly two weeks from now I will be attending a high school reunion, and I'm very much looking forward to it. :) Not only because I will get the chance to reunite with some old friends/class mates (most of which I haven't seen or spoken with in nearly 25 years), but also because I get to see and hear this man in action:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/2/17/785141/AlidesHidding.jpg

...Yeah, that's right.  :P Eat your heart out, Jason!

And for all the others (that don't have a clue as to what I'm talking about):

Alides Hidding was the lead singer of Time Bandits, a popular Dutch 1980s band.
Here's a selection of their songs:

I’m Specialized In You (#2) | I’m Only Shooting Love (#6) | Endless Road (#16) | Dancing on a String (#28) | I Won’t Steal Away (#18)

Alides Hidding also did a cover of "Hollywood Seven" (before he formed Time Bandits), which is still on my list of all time favorite covers. I hope he will be performing that song as well. 8)

I actually didn't know who that was until you said in your blurb.  Awesome you will get to see him 8)

I still love their song 'I'm Only Shooting Love'.  One of my all-time favurites 8)

Written By: Davester on 04/05/08 at 7:36 pm

Our 20th was last year, but I didn't go, nor to our 10th.  In order to make it worthwhile several classes were included.  86 to 89, I believe.  I always check out the roster to see who's committed and none of my closest friends ever attend these things.  I find that those who were fortunate (or deluded) enough to have LOVED high school usually attend...

Written By: Howard on 04/05/08 at 7:51 pm

My High School reunion didn't happen yet,It's probably in another 4 years from now.

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/05/08 at 8:00 pm

Have fun, Henk.  It should be cool with a celebrity playing. 
Reunions are not my thing.  My 20 year is coming up  :o and they keep contacting me to attend, but I don't see a need as  I still keep in touch with the 5 or 6 people I was closest to.

Written By: gibbo on 04/05/08 at 8:08 pm

Have fun, Henk.  It should be cool with a celebrity playing. 
Reunions are not my thing.  My 20 year is coming up  :o and they keep contacting me to attend, but I don't see a need as  I still keep in touch with the 5 or 6 people I was closest to.

It's more of a curiosity thing.....  and when you get there they all start forming into the exact same cliques that they did in the schoolyard... ;D

I made it my mission to actually speak with everyone ...even those I never really spoke with at school.... It was very interesting in the end.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/05/08 at 8:53 pm

I didn't attend my 10 year..and I probably won't attend my 20 year either...meh, it's just not my thing. Most of those people I didn't like even seeing DURING high school, let alone seeing them 10/20 years later...it's all about being a big bragfest. ::)

Written By: Henk on 04/06/08 at 1:16 am

Henk ..I'm sure you'll have a good time.  I went to my 20th and last year my 30th class reunions. All I can say is ...thank God for name tags/badges..... ::)

Strange thing is that the years preceding and directly after my graduating year (1977) have never had a reunion. It comes down to what that particular year's class was like ...how close etc. I met my best friend/mate back in 1969....

Well, like I said... We don't have the "Class of ...." type reunions. It's always about the entire school.

Were you talking about the song Hollywood Seven by Jon English?

That is indeed the song I was talking about. Alides Hidding is one of the very few (if not the only) to cover that song. His version (which is more uptempo, compared to the Jon English one) reached #25 in our charts.

It's more of a curiosity thing.....   and when you get there they all start forming into the exact same cliques that they did in the schoolyard... ;D

I made it my mission to actually speak with everyone ...even those I never really spoke with at school.... It was very interesting in the end.

Exactly. At reunions that I have attended in the past, I usually ended up talking with people that I didn't hang out with in high school - and having a great time. Not much bragging going on, that I can remember. Maybe we (the Dutch) are not like that... :-\\

Our 20th was last year, but I didn't go, nor to our 10th.  In order to make it worthwhile several classes were included.  86 to 89, I believe.  I always check out the roster to see who's committed and none of my closest friends ever attend these things.  I find that those who were fortunate (or deluded) enough to have LOVED high school usually attend...

If everybody waits for everybody, no one gets there in the end. Somebody has to make the first move, Dave... That's why I'm usually one of the first to apply, in order to attract others to join me. Doesn't always work, of course.
On the other hand: if you (apparently) haven't kept in touch with your closest friends/if they haven't kept in touch with you, were they really such good friends...? :-\\

Written By: gibbo on 04/06/08 at 1:19 am

That is indeed the song I was talking about. Alides Hidding is one of the very few (if not the only) to cover that song. His version (which is more uptempo, compared to the Jon English one) reached #25 in our charts.

I'm just surprised Jon English (or his song) was known in Europe..... :o

Written By: Henk on 04/06/08 at 1:24 am

I'm just surprised Jon English (or his song) was known in Europe..... :o

The Jon English version is not known at all, I think, as it didn't chart over here...

If you tell people that the Alides Hidding version is a cover, my guess is 90% of them would be surprised.

Written By: gibbo on 04/06/08 at 1:39 am

The Jon English version is not known at all, I think, as it didn't chart over here...

If you tell people that the Alides Hidding version is a cover, my guess is 90% of them would be surprised.

Just checked him out on Youtube....Hollywood 7 isn't on there though. I liked the couple that are on there.  The Man With The Golden Voice  as well as "I'm only shooting love" with The Time Bandits (that was a big hit in Australia)..

Edited: I just realised that Time Bandits also did 'Endless Road' and judging by the video clip on youutube it was filmed in QLD, Australia on both the Sunshine and Gold Coasts (north and south of Brisbane where I live).. :) oh yeah...with some Sydney shots as well.. 8-P

Written By: Davester on 04/06/08 at 2:57 am

If everybody waits for everybody, no one gets there in the end. Somebody has to make the first move, Dave... That's why I'm usually one of the first to apply, in order to attract others to join me. Doesn't always work, of course.
On the other hand: if you (apparently) haven't kept in touch with your closest friends/if they haven't kept in touch with you, were they really such good friends...? :-\\

I should have pointed out I was looking for my closest friends from back then on the register, many of whom I haven't seen since the few years after graduation.  Merely being in the same class doesn't quite do it for me.  But you're right - if we were still in touch, today, we wouldn't need a class reunion to reunite.  One phone call and we're hooking-up at Applebee's and reminicing over an $8 salad instead of a $150 prime rib...

Yes, we really were good friends!  No kidding!  I'd have taken a bullet for what's his name... :P

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/07/08 at 2:17 am

I went to my 5 year and 10 year reunions and they were fun, although it tended to be the same people that went to them (the people I didn't really hang out with).  Last year was my 20th reunion, but I didn't really have the money to go to it.  They wanted $80 a couple.  Maybe they'll have another in 5 years, maybe I'll go to that one.  It would be nice to know what happened in everyone's lives.  I haven't really kept in touch with anybody.

Written By: Jessica on 04/07/08 at 9:56 am

My 10 year is coming up in October. Not going though. Why the hell am I going to shell out a crapload of money to fly to California, pay to get in, and then hang out with people I couldn't stand (because I know it will be all of them...they're the ones arranging it ::)) in the first place?

I managed to find most of my old friends from high school online, and we keep tabs on each other that way.

Written By: Gis on 04/07/08 at 10:35 am

I've never been to one. I went to school in Yorkshire so it would be a bit of a hike from where I live now and I get to read about what everyone is doing now on Friends Reunited anyway! Also I'm still in touch with the people i wanted to stay in touch with.

Written By: Henk on 04/19/08 at 1:50 am

The tension is building...Only a few hours left until the reunion starts.

I wonder if I'll recognize any people. Probably not. ;D

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/19/08 at 7:52 pm

Have a great time, Henk.

Written By: coqueta83 on 04/19/08 at 8:01 pm

I hope you have a really nice time, Henk!  :)

I thought about going to my 10 year reunion, but ended up not going due to other things going on in my life at the time. An old friend of mine who attended told me about a fourth of our class showed up and more than half of them got drunk.

I haven't really decided on whether I'll go to my 20th or not.

Written By: Davester on 04/19/08 at 8:05 pm

I hope you have a really nice time, Henk!  :)

I thought about going to my 10 year reunion, but ended up not going due to other things going on in my life at the time. An old friend of mine who attended told me about a fourth of our class showed up and more than half of them got drunk.

I haven't really decided on whether I'll go to my 20th or not.

A fourth of your class showed - about how many people were in your class, total?  My class had around 140 souls which is small for around these parts...

Written By: coqueta83 on 04/19/08 at 8:31 pm

A fourth of your class showed - about how many people were in your class, total?  My class had around 140 souls which is small for around these parts...

I don't exactly remember, but I think our graduating class was around 500-550 people.....which I think was pretty big!  ;D

Written By: Henk on 04/20/08 at 1:31 am

The tension is building...Only a few hours left until the reunion starts.

I wonder if I'll recognize any people. Probably not. ;D

Well, I was wrong about that. I recognized quite a few people... It was remarkable to see how little most of us had changed over the years. Almost like stepping back in time 25 years...

I met up with a dozen or so of my old (class) mates and we had a great time catching up and reminiscing... Too bad there weren't more of us, but hey...at least WE had a party! ;)

Written By: Henk on 04/20/08 at 9:26 am

And for those of you who like to get a more detailed report...

The school doors were opened at 16.00, and we got the time to "meet & greet" till about 18.30. That's when I met up with most of my old (class) mates and talked about things past & present...

From about 18.30 till about 20.00 it was dinner time! There were four menus to chose from (an Italian one, a cold Indonesian buffet, a warm Chinese/Indonesian buffet and one other that I have forgotten about - well, I obviously didn't have that one! ;D). I had the warm buffet which was delightful. We were allowed to use the class rooms to sit down and eat (a welcome rest for weary feet)

At about 20.30 the band "Kink" started playing. Kink are a professional cover band that I had never heard of before, but they were pretty good. The band played dancefloor fillers from the 1970s till present, until about 22.00.

At about 22.00, it was time for the "main course": Mr. Alides Hidding. But, boy...was he disappointing! First of all, his gig lasted only about 30 minutes (instead of the scheduled 60). Second, he was being backed up by a computerized band (no live band - not even Alides himself on guitar). And third, he couldn't hit the high notes anymore. He was constantly shifting from falsetto to lower registers. Quite embarrassing, IMHO.
Of course, he did the obvious Time Bandits songs ("I'm only shooting love", "Listen to the man with the golden voice", "I'm specialzed in you" and "Endless road") as well as "Hollywood Seven" (only up to the first chorus, tho'), but ironically the songs he did from other artists were of better quality.
Needless to say he didn't exactly get the party started...

Well, thank goodness...the band was still there, and they played for another 30 minutes (up till 23.10, I think).

Shortly after that I said goodbye to my friends and headed home. It's a ten minutes walk (or thereabout), so when I got home it was about 23.30. It wasn't until I was home that I realized I could've stayed a bit longer*, but I didn't feel like walking back. So I turned in and had a good night sleep.

Like I said...most of us hadn't really changed that much over the years. In fact, I think the ladies amongst us (not a lot: only two) had changed the least. They still looked incredibly hawt. 8) I don't recall us ever really being befriended in high school, but both seemed very pleased to see me again. I know I had the hots for one of them back then, and lo and behold...she had me enchanted once again. (FYI: she's married, with kids) The other made me feel very "at home" (you guessed it...she's also already spoken for, and mother of two). Well, I still had a good time hanging out with the lads and lasses. :)
We sorta agreed upon meeting each other again in 5 years from now. I don't really see that happening (who's gonna organize this reunion?), but you never know.

* The reunion was scheduled to end at 24.00, so when the band stopped playing, I assumed it was 24.00 (when in fact it was only 23.10)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 04/20/08 at 12:20 pm

I have not been to any of my class reunions.  My 20th was 4 years ago, and it would've cost thousands of dollars for me to fly out there...so I wouldn't have been able to do it even if I'd wanted to.

Written By: tv on 04/20/08 at 3:04 pm

I think my 10th year reunion is coming up and I have no desire to go. I mean what I am gonna talk about to people I haven't seen in 10 years? There are a few people I would like to see but thats about it.

Written By: star80 on 04/20/08 at 5:51 pm

I went to my 15, 20 and 25 year reunions, but nothing has changed it is still the same old cliques; I skipped the 30 year last summer.  They were always a drag anyway.

Written By: Step-chan on 04/20/08 at 6:45 pm

I never went to one. I don't want to go to one either.

Written By: nally on 06/10/17 at 6:51 pm

I went to my 10-year HS reunion in 2008...not too long after this thread was posted! I was excited about going to it...but I was surprised at how few people showed up to it. Still, I had a good time with the 60 or so classmates (and significant others, where applicable) who showed up.

Written By: 2001 on 06/10/17 at 7:13 pm

In Canada, our system is the same as yours. We don't do "Class of XXXX" style reunions. I don't even think most people would remember their graduation year off the top of their head.

Instead, I get an email every year asking me to attend the schools' reunions and networking opportunities, which I'm assuming every alumnus of the school receives. I've never went, nor do I think I ever will. As part of the Facebook generation, I have all my high school friends on Facebook already and I talk to them whenever I feel like it. ;D

Written By: Howard on 06/11/17 at 5:45 am

I hope I get something in the mail for me to attend my 25th Anniversary High School reunion.

Written By: aja675 on 06/11/17 at 5:47 am

I went to my 10-year HS reunion in 2008...not too long after this thread was posted! I was excited about going to it...but I was surprised at how few people showed up to it. Still, I had a good time with the 60 or so classmates (and significant others, where applicable) who showed up.
Did you tell them you invented Post-its? :P

Written By: nally on 06/11/17 at 9:58 am

Did you tell them you invented Post-its? :P

Lol. ::)

Of course not. Those things have been around longer than I have.

Written By: nally on 06/11/17 at 9:58 am

I hope I get something in the mail for me to attend my 25th Anniversary High School reunion.

Oh yes, yours would be this year, right?

Written By: aja675 on 06/11/17 at 10:01 am

Lol. ::)

Of course not. Those things have been around longer than I have.

But did you at least guess that I was sarcastic?

Written By: nally on 06/11/17 at 10:06 am

But did you at least guess that I was sarcastic?

Yes.

Written By: Redhairkid on 06/11/17 at 12:56 pm

There was a school reunion for my year/grade in 1991 but I never attended. And I never will attend one. I have absolutely nothing to say to them. All we have in common is the fact that we attended school together. There is a reason why those from my past never made it to my future.

Written By: Howard on 06/12/17 at 2:52 pm

Oh yes, yours would be this year, right?

Yes it would.

Written By: nally on 06/12/17 at 11:28 pm

Yes it would.

Thought so.

My 20 year reunion will be next year; hopefully we'll have one!

Written By: aja675 on 06/13/17 at 10:48 am

Thought so.

My 20 year reunion will be next year; hopefully we'll have one!
What are you gonna pretend to have invented?  :D

Written By: nally on 06/13/17 at 5:36 pm

Nothing. ::) I don't think anyone else will create a silly story like that either.

Written By: 2001 on 06/17/17 at 10:38 pm

Is there a contextual joke I'm not getting? ;D

Written By: nally on 06/17/17 at 10:47 pm

He was alluding to Romy & Michelle's High School Reunion, a 1997 movie about two young women who get an invitation to their 10 year high school reunion, but realize they've hardly done anything since their graduation. So as they are traveling, they decide to make up a phony success story: invention of the Post-it note. But that backfires on them.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/17/17 at 10:50 pm

Nothing. ::) I don't think anyone else will create a silly story like that either.

I would!  ;D  ;D  :(

Written By: 80sfan on 06/17/17 at 10:50 pm

Uh oh.  :(

Written By: nally on 02/17/18 at 10:01 pm

I'm supposed to have a 20-year reunion this year, but I haven't heard anything about one yet. I might need to check my school's web site, or possibly Reunion Committee for details.

Written By: nally on 08/04/18 at 10:37 pm

I'm supposed to have a 20-year reunion this year, but I haven't heard anything about one yet. I might need to check my school's web site, or possibly Reunion Committee for details.

And it was announced, on Facebook, in June or so, that one would happen this year. In fact, it's happening tonight (right now), but I have decided not to go. The ticket price only covered the hors doeurves, drinks, dancing, (no actual dinner would be served, like there was for my 10-year) and it was in a location that's kinda far for me... which is why I decided not to attend. Not only that, it looked like only a small percentage of my classmates was going to actually be there.

Now I hope there'll be a 25-year one, in 2023.

Check for new replies or respond here...