inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I'll never be like THEM!!!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/21/08 at 10:37 am

I'll never be like them!!

How many times did I utter that phrase concerning my parents?! When I was an older child/young teenager, I vowed that I wouldn't do the things they did..I wouldn't handle discipline the same way...I just wouldn't be like them at ALL.

HA!  ;D

I'm just like them now. I was just thinking about that today...about how similar I am to them now.  I find myself replicating so many things that they did. My forms of discipline are similar (not exact), I do so many of the same things with Vaughn that they did with me (particular outings, memories, etc), and I even find myself talking like them.

So, has this happened to you? Did you make the pledge to never turn out like them...and nowadays, you do nothing but mirror them?

Subject: Re: I'll never be like THEM!!!

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/21/08 at 10:48 am

I don't have kids (yet) so I don't know how I'll raise them (probably the same way I was raised), but I do find that I am just about an exact replica of my mom & dad combined.  I talk like my dad, think like my dad, enjoy the same things my mom enjoys.

Mom + Dad = Me

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/21/08 at 10:49 am

I don't have kids (yet) so I don't know how I'll raise them (probably the same way I was raised), but I do find that I am just about an exact replica of my mom & dad combined.  I talk like my dad, think like my dad, enjoy the same things my mom enjoys.

Mom + Dad = Me

that's cute! It's funny because nowadays I almost go out of my way to do things like my parents used to do. :D

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/21/08 at 10:53 am

that's cute! It's funny because nowadays I almost go out of my way to do things like my parents used to do. :D

LOL me too!!!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/21/08 at 11:18 am

LOL me too!!!

Bill...were your parents strict when you were younger...or were they more laid back?

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/21/08 at 12:04 pm

Bill...were your parents strict when you were younger...or were they more laid back?

They were laid back...  My dad was a little strict, but it seemed like their #1 concern during my childhood was that I was happy and had a good time being a kid.  Don't get me wrong, they made sure I did my homework and all that, but there wasn't so much of an emphasis on "buckling down" and working hard as there was doing things we enjoyed.  I think that has something to do with my less than enthusiastic attitude toward work as an adult, but I still wouldn't change a thing :)

Written By: ninny on 04/21/08 at 12:14 pm

I'm nothing like my parents. I grew up in a strict Catholic houshold. The first time I got to spend a night at a friends house I was 16.
I think this maybe why I'm lenient on my kids,they've been going to other kids houses and spending the night since they were 8.
My husband says I maybe to lenient.

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/21/08 at 12:15 pm

I actually uttered the phrase "because I said so"  :P I used to HATE that!  

Written By: KKay on 04/21/08 at 12:27 pm

I tryt o stop her voice from coming out of my mouth, but sometimes I can't.  Youi're right about becoming THEM

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/21/08 at 1:45 pm

They were laid back...  My dad was a little strict, but it seemed like their #1 concern during my childhood was that I was happy and had a good time being a kid.  Don't get me wrong, they made sure I did my homework and all that, but there wasn't so much of an emphasis on "buckling down" and working hard as there was doing things we enjoyed.  I think that has something to do with my less than enthusiastic attitude toward work as an adult, but I still wouldn't change a thing :)

My parents were always on the strict side..but in no way were they tyrants. They always knew how to have fun with us. My dad was stricter than my mom...but the ironic thing is that by the time they had Beth..my dad mellowed out a LOT (compared to how he was with my sister and me).

Written By: Gis on 04/21/08 at 2:28 pm

I go into record stores and go 'Why is it so loud?' or 'You can't hear the words'  ;D

The most horrifying was Mum and I both chosing the same top in a shop and going 'that's nice' EEEKK

Written By: Howard on 04/21/08 at 3:37 pm

My Father when I was growing up in this house,I guess he wanted me to be an accountant or work with computers since I own a laptop myself but that never happened. :(

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 04/21/08 at 4:15 pm

For the most part, I have done it differently than my Mom did.

And I strive to be NOTHING like my ex-stepfather.

Written By: KKay on 04/22/08 at 1:35 pm

I have done everything different from my parents, and I am very different.  BUT under certain circumstances, I hear that voice coming out of my mouth...or make a comment like mom does and I cringe.

Written By: Howard on 04/22/08 at 1:48 pm

I'm a little like my father,I sit around by the computer but I at least try to keep myself motivated by working and coming home relaxing after a hard day at work.

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/22/08 at 2:08 pm

I'm proud to be just like mom & dad.

Written By: Howard on 04/23/08 at 4:11 pm

I'm proud to be motivated by my parents. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...