inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pro-adjuster...?

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 04/27/08 at 3:47 pm

Hope this is the right place to post this topic.  A couple months ago the nurse I work with said she noticed I look kinda hunched over.  When I asked other people they said yeah they've noticed that too- even though I'm standing up straight my shoulders kinda curve in.  (Funny thing is when I asked my husband he said he couldn't tell)  Well the nurse suggested a try going to a chiropractor to do the "pro-adjuster" treatment.  Has anyone here heard of/done this treatment?  And if so how safe/painless/expensive do you think it is.  I probably definitely need some sort of chiropractic work done before I have kids but I'm  kind of a wimp when it comes to pain.

Here's a link:

http://www.pro-adjuster.us/

Subject: Re: Pro-adjuster...?

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/29/08 at 1:15 am

Well the nurse suggested a try going to a chiropractor to do the "pro-adjuster" treatment.  Has anyone here heard of/done this treatment? 

As a rule of thumb, for some (but not all) musculoskelatal conditions (which it sounds like you're concerned with), some (but not all) chiropractic treatments may be useful.

Yes, there are a lot of weasel words in that sentence, because there are a lot of weasels in the chiropractice industry.  I'd suggest reading a skeptic's guide to Chiropractic treatment.

If you find someone who'll stick to fiddling with human anatomy (instead of mystical energy fields and other pseudoscientific mumbo-jumbo), you might be OK.  At the first mention of pseudoscience, or of outlandish claims like it'll prevent/cure cance, don't even dignify it with a response.  Just turn around and walk out of the office. 

You've got an edge in that your condition is presumably musculoskeletal, and that you've got a nurse's suggestion.  Most RNs are pretty sharp and can tell medicine from BS, but I'd consider the merits of a second opinion.  There were hospitals where large percentages of the nursing staff fell for the Therapeutic Touch scam, even though it was completely debunked by a nine-year-old child.  Trust your RN the way you'd trust your doctor -- as in trust, but get a second opinion from a medical professional, not just us random folks on a message board :)

(Edit: Geez, it takes me ten days just to close a /url tag...)

Check for new replies or respond here...