inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best Compliment Ever...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/27/08 at 9:55 pm

Has someone paid you a compliment before that you've considered to be the best? Have they said something concerning you that has nearly brought tears of happiness to your eyes?

One of the best compliments of mine was received just last week. I was talking with a manager at work who had just returned after being on medical leave. He had been gone for a few months. When I last talked to him..I was in the midst of some very difficult times in my life.

So...he was asking me how I've been and I was telling him how I've changed over the past several months. I told him, "One thing about myself is that I am a lot stronger of a person now"...and his reply was, "Erin, you've always been so strong, I've always considered you a very strong person."

I thought that was such a nice thing for him to say to me. He made my day. :)

Subject: Re: Best Compliment Ever...

Written By: snozberries on 04/28/08 at 10:00 pm

Aw that was sweet Erin ....

I have a couple... when I was in college one of the professors told me that she always saved my papers for last because she knew that they would be well written and she would enjoy my topics.

Another was - and this one was kind of surreal... I was a research assistant for the chair of the film studies dept and she went to dinner with Scott Frank (writer of Dead Again, Little Man Tate, Minority Report and writer/director of the 2007 film The Lookout), One of the Bottoms boys (timothy or Joseph) & a woman who was going to teach the TV script writing class that was coming up.   

Anyway, I was taking another class from the woman who was going to teach the script writing course... there were about 200 people in the class... only 10 spots for the script writing class... I went up to talk to the woman after a lecture...we had never met and she asked me my name. I said Tq...and she stopped and said "You're Tq?  You taking my class right?" and I'm like what class?  anyway she tells me about the script writing class and how she was at dinner with the chair and the chair was telling these people about what an amazing writer I was.  It was kind of weird to think that Scott Frank (someone who's work I really admire) was hearing about me like that! 

(btw neither the chair of Film studies and the instructor for the TV script writing class are the prof mentioned in the first example...) dang I should start writing again...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/28/08 at 10:18 pm

^that's really awesome! :)

Written By: snozberries on 04/28/08 at 10:21 pm

oh man I forgot one.... okay this was kind of amazing.

As you all know I am a TV addict and I go to lots of events in LA... I was at an event for the Show Any Day Now...a lifetime show that starred Annie Potts and Lorraine Toussaint.

Anyway, another actress in the show was Donzaleigh Abernathy.  She's the Daughter of Rev. Ralph Abernathy who was Dr. Kings right hand man...

anyway- Any Day Now was a show about a white girl and black girl who formed an unlikely friendship in Alabama in the 1960s.  Donzaleigh played the mother of the black girl... the father was a civil rights activist.  They showed a clip from a powerful episode titled "It's Not About the Butter"  the scene was Donzaleigh dealing with a racist cop on a traffic stop.  In that moment I was sitting right behind Donzaleigh, watching her watch the clip and it struck me... she was playing the wife of a civil rights activist having this experience with her young daughter at her side...and for some reason I started thinking about young Donzaleigh and her mother and what it was like for them when Rev Ralph was away.  I was struck with so much emotion then.... and I could see Donzaleigh was crying watching the scene. 

All that history and racial inequality came forth and the emotions were so tight in the room... I could barely breathe it was powerful and painful

After the event I went up to Donzaleigh and talked with her and told her all I said above about comparing the characters to her real life experiences and the whole thing coming full circle...the child becomes the mother who watches the child...she got it even if its not clear right now.....

anyway - we know I am not a religious person but she is and I get that... she signed an autograph for me that said... "You are an amazing gift from God." Normally it wouldn't mean much but in that moment it meant the world to me!  Plus I realized that in that moment I was 1 degree of separation from Martin Luther King Jr... and have never been so overwhelmed.... (okay I was overwhelmed meeting Jodie Foster but that was a different story  ;) )

I also met the woman who played the white mom in the show... the woman was totally apologetic for her character and I gave her some BS about not apologizing for the woman because the woman was a Southern mom...she wasn't malicious in her beliefs she was just ignorant...there is a difference and you can see in the transitions from the 60s to the more open minded accepting woman of the 90s.  The actress Nancy McLoughlin was so grateful that I got her character she was following me around the theater giving me a shoulder massage and hugs and just thanking me left and right...it was hilarious! 

Written By: Howard on 04/29/08 at 7:17 am

I've been told that I'm handsome and I look like Tom Cruise just like my buddies at Pathmark call me. ;D

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/29/08 at 8:11 am

All wonderful stories, guys.  Thanks for sharing.

I have always been a kooky charachter.  Upon graduation, my fifth grade teacher gave me, and only me, an award for "being Shannon".  I cannot tell you how important that was.  To have someone you admire so much to appreciate you on that level... 

Also, one day I was walking through the busy streets of New York and this really well-dressed, good looking man looked right in my face, smiled and said "Wow!", like I took his breath away or something.  I don't put much stock in looks, but I'll tell you that felt pretty damn good!

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/29/08 at 8:28 am

Those are all great compliments everyone! And true! :)

Probably the best compliment I ever got was when someone told me that I was the greatest person who ever lived.  Oh wait... that was me, when I was looking in the mirror at myself... crap, I guess that doesn't count.

I guess my greatest compliment comes from my boyfriend when he tells me every day how much he loves me.  And I do take that as a compliment because I consider myself special to be lucky enough to be loved by such a wonderful person.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/01/08 at 2:59 am

Recently I found a screenwriter who has a webpage, and they have an exercise where they put up a picture and you write whatever you want/whatever inspires you about the picture.  Well they replied to what I wrote with "PATTY — Am sensing a writer in the room! I like it."

So that really meant alot to me.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 05/01/08 at 4:57 am

The best compliment I've received.....
Stone the crows, that's a tough call!

There are 3 that stick out in my mind, at the moment:

-I used to talk about my condition (club foot) on a website.
There was a 13 yr. old girl from the UK, named "Katy". She was very upset, because she had one foot smaller than the other, and one leg was noticably shorter. Her parents wouldn't really talk about it, and her doctor "dumbed down" the talk, making her feel VERY self-conscious. I shared my story with her, and some exercises that I do. She later came back on the website, and personally thanked me, not just for the exercises and advice, but also for "showing me that I don't have to be ashamed about my game leg." She sent me a virtual rose, and promised to share pictures. I haven't been out on that site in about 2 yrs., but I think of her occasionally.

-Melissa compliments me fairly often, and sometimes I feel uncomfortable with what she says, because I sometimes feel like I've been placed on a pedestal that I don't feel I deserve. She has commented about many things, but I think what I remember most is how she once commented about my performing, especially after seeing me in action during a competition, or gig. She told me that she "equivocates me to someone like Mozart, because of your performing. You're like a prodigy." I can usually accept compliments, but I feel somewhat uncomfortable with something so.....open.

-After my 1st win in the "Butte County Fair Idol" in 2005, this young girl, around 6 or 7, came up to me and asked if I had made a CD, and could she have one? I was very flattered, because the only thing I had at that point was a 5-Song Demo. When I spoke to the girl's mother, she told me that "when she gets something into her head, she gets intense about it. She really likes your voice. We have heard you since Day One, and she has always cheered loudest for you."
Wow- that's all I can say.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/01/08 at 9:13 am

My Mom has said that I was the coolest kid she could have ever raised.

I have people tell me I should run for political office.

I was suicidal when I was 19 and overdosed.  My best friend was with me and whispered in my ear . . . I love you buddy, don't leave me.  I was never at that point again.  That statement alone saved my  life.

My Uncle saying that I have the brains to obtain a Phd in my chosen field of study.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/01/08 at 1:45 pm

wow...all of these compliments are giving me chills (the good kinds) :)

Written By: Howard on 05/01/08 at 3:25 pm

You're very handsome which was a compliment I got from someone I knew.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/01/08 at 8:49 pm

You're very handsome which was a compliment I got from someone I knew.

who paid you that compliment, Howard?

Written By: whistledog on 05/01/08 at 9:03 pm

ever since I was a kid, people have complimented on my dimples.  As I got older, I grew to like it, but as a kid, gettign a compliment like that was the same as getting kissed by your grandmother ;D

Written By: Howard on 05/01/08 at 10:23 pm

who paid you that compliment, Howard?

A girl. ;)

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/01/08 at 11:19 pm

How nice, everyone.

And to Reynolds for finding something good in a bad experience.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/02/08 at 12:50 pm

-There was this guy who once told me that I reminded him of Cleopatra and he thought that Cleopatra was beautiful. What made this complement very special was the fact that he was gay.

-There was a guy (a very religious Mormon) who once gave me a kiss. He was a very inexperience kisser but it made it that much sweeter because I know he didn't kiss many (in fact, I wasn't too sure if he kissed anyone before me).

-When Carlos & I were dating, I told him that he made me feel special. He said, "You are special".

I know there are more.

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/02/08 at 2:20 pm

When my husband and I were just dating, we lived a good hour's drive away from one another (and he didn't have a car at the time).  So usually I would come up on the weekends and stay over and just call periodically during the week to talk to him.  He was having a very very bad day because of his medical condition, and he was getting ready to kill himself when I called (and thankfully) he answered.  He said that my being upbeat and positive (and being blissfully ignorant of the impending situation) and that I was someone that truly cared about him made him take a step back and he decided to just fight his illness and now, we are a team, working with each other fighting the illness together.

So that I felt was one of the highest compliments that I had ever gotten.  Just being myself.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 05/02/08 at 3:50 pm

When my husband and I were just dating, we lived a good hour's drive away from one another (and he didn't have a car at the time).  So usually I would come up on the weekends and stay over and just call periodically during the week to talk to him.  He was having a very very bad day because of his medical condition, and he was getting ready to kill himself when I called (and thankfully) he answered.  He said that my being upbeat and positive (and being blissfully ignorant of the impending situation) and that I was someone that truly cared about him made him take a step back and he decided to just fight his illness and now, we are a team, working with each other fighting the illness together.

So that I felt was one of the highest compliments that I had ever gotten.  Just being myself.

See- there ARE those who notice your sparkling personality, and not just "TTT".  ;D

Written By: thereshegoes on 05/02/08 at 4:40 pm

He says i am the most wonderful woman he ever met. Who can beat that one?  8)

Written By: snozberries on 05/02/08 at 5:38 pm

Recently I found a screenwriter who has a webpage, and they have an exercise where they put up a picture and you write whatever you want/whatever inspires you about the picture.  Well they replied to what I wrote with "PATTY — Am sensing a writer in the room! I like it."

So that really meant alot to me.

Nice one Patty!

I went to visit my the film studies office today.  I ran into a professor (not one of the ones mentioned previously) who told me she still has the paper I wrote in 1996.... and that it was one of the best papers she'd ever gotten!  now that meant a lot.

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/02/08 at 5:58 pm

That's awesome!  8)

Written By: coqueta83 on 05/02/08 at 8:29 pm

I've never received any big compliments in my life, but anytime anyone says I'm doing a good job or I'm a good person that always makes me feel good.  :)

Written By: snozberries on 05/02/08 at 10:18 pm

I've never received any big compliments in my life, but anytime anyone says I'm doing a good job or I'm a good person that always makes me feel good.  :)

you're a great person!!! and you do a great job!!!

O0

and karma to you too....

Written By: coqueta83 on 05/02/08 at 11:40 pm

you're a great person!!! and you do a great job!!!

O0

and karma to you too....

Awwwwwww...... :) :) :) :) :) :) :)  thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're getting closer to receiving over a thousand karma points......YAY!!!!!!  :) :D :) :D

I'll be sure to give you another point once the 24 hour period has passed.  :)

Written By: snozberries on 05/02/08 at 11:57 pm

Awwwwwww...... :) :) :) :) :) :) :)  thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're getting closer to receiving over a thousand karma points......YAY!!!!!!  :) :D :) :D

I'll be sure to give you another point once the 24 hour period has passed.  :)

aw thank you...I didn't even do it for the karma but its always appreciated.

Check for new replies or respond here...