inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you think being analytical/detail oriented is "uncool"?

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/28/08 at 9:16 pm

I think there's an unwritten assumption that people who are cool or have lives aren't supposed to get really into things in a "geeky" way or care about details. Since I'm very analytical by nature, I really take offense to that, because it almost seems to say that intelligence isn't a good thing or that it can't co-exist with a fun and entertaining side - which I think I have both of. I was never teased for it at school or anything (not beyond some good spirited teasing by friends), but there've been people who seem surprised. Like "oh how do you know when that song came out?" without realizing I just tend to remember details, especially with something I enjoy.

Perfect example - 4-5 years ago I went out with this girl from one of my classes. She seemed to like me at first, but after a couple dates and just generally being around her, she kinda just seemed annoyed with me and we weren't clicking. Most likely it wouldn't have worked anyway, since she was more of an outgoing girl who was more into partying, and I guess I'm more a nice guy you'd bring home to mom lol. ;) But the point is, she told one of our mutual friends to the effect of "Oh he's annoying and won't stop getting all into stuff."

For the record it's not like I do any of this purposely, but usually it just comes up 'cause my mind has always kinda worked in that way in terms of categorizing things or looking beyond the surface. I guess to some people, it might overshadow the more easygoing side of me. I guess I tend to get upset when I see it being rejected or made fun of for that reason, whether or not it's me.

Subject: Re: Do you think being analytical/detail oriented is "uncool"?

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/28/08 at 9:55 pm

Bearing in mind that this is only an observation of this post and not at all how I perceive you:

Is it possible that some people think you're a know-it-all or that they just aren't as interested in your vast knowledge on a specific topic?

Before I was a mother I was only moderately interested in other peoples' children but now I could go on about my daughter Erin ad nauseum and there have been instances  where I'm sure someone was thinking "yeah, yeah she's great; now shut up!"  ;D

Also, my sister has a way of imparting knowledge which can be construed as a bit elitist.  I refer to her teachings with rolled eyes and an "Oh great, Fun Fact #46 (or whatever)"

I am also reminded of my friend Howie who needs to let you know that it is not, infact 10:15 but 10:13!  :D  (Groovy, I'm only 13 minutes late)

To answer your original question though, I think the answer is yes. 

Movies/tv perpetually portray smart people as nerds.  Isn't that a shame?

Anyway, I think the fun in life is finding like-minded people so you just go on rolling the way you roll - you geek.   ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/28/08 at 10:05 pm

Bearing in mind that this is only an observation of this post and not at all how I perceive you:

Is it possible that some people think you're a know-it-all or that they just aren't as interested in your vast knowledge on a specific topic?

Before I was a mother I was only moderately interested in other peoples' children but now I could go on about my daughter Erin ad nauseum and there have been instances  where I'm sure someone was thinking "yeah, yeah she's great; now shut up!"  ;D

Also, my sister has a way of imparting knowledge which can be construed as a bit elitist.  I refer to her teachings with rolled eyes and an "Oh great, Fun Fact #46 (or whatever)"

I am also reminded of my friend Howie who needs to let you know that it is not, infact 10:15 but 10:13!  :D  (Groovy, I'm only 13 minutes late)

To answer your original question though, I think the answer is yes. 

Movies/tv perpetually portray smart people as nerds.  Isn't that a shame?

Anyway, I think the fun in life is finding like-minded people so you just go on rolling the way you roll - you geek.   ;D

Right on, thanks. :) That really is an interesting way of looking at it, I never quite thought of that before. It probably depends on how fascinated other people are by something, and let's be honest, not everyone is going to enjoy everything on the same level, which is cool. I think in a sense we have to be able to relate to something or at least have an interest in order to care in detail.

Personally I can enjoy almost everything people say, whether or not it relates to me, but I know not everyone is like that (I am a conversationalist and stuff too). Kinda like you were saying about people without kids might not be as interested in hearing about someone else's kid, since they don't have their own stories to share.

As its core, I think the reason people view geekiness or analyzing things as "oh they've got no life" is because there's an idea that people who are out there having fun will care about that (i.e. partying, sex, whatever) and that'll dominate their thoughts instead.

What's weird with me is that I'm like a surfer/valley girl and an intelliectual kinda at the same time. ;D People probably don't know what to expect.

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/28/08 at 10:23 pm

You've figured out that you don't have to be one thing or the other and it's cool that you're a multi-faceted human.  I bet you're more interesting than most people.

In high school it was SO important to pick a side between Rock or Disco.  (I was rock, by the way, or technically "the new-wave chick")  I was happy with this identity and spent hours perfecting the look.  Now, of course, it seems ridiculous and so restrictive to box yourself in that way. 

Written By: whistledog on 04/28/08 at 10:43 pm

I am analytical and detail oriented when it comes to music, as I am sure everyone here knows by now LOL

If a thread pops up about a song and artist, I will take the time to research chart histories and post them, because most of the time, it drives me crazy when wrong facts or not all of the information is there LOL

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/28/08 at 10:45 pm

You've figured out that you don't have to be one thing or the other and it's cool that you're a multi-faceted human.  I bet you're more interesting than most people.

In high school it was SO important to pick a side between Rock or Disco.  (I was rock, by the way, or technically "the new-wave chick")  I was happy with this identity and spent hours perfecting the look.  Now, of course, it seems ridiculous and so restrictive to box yourself in that way. 

Oh totally, oh my god, I absolutely agree with that. ;) That's how I was as a kid, not just with music but pretty much anything. When I was, say 7 years old I just liked a song if it was catchy (regardless of style or tempo or what the artist was like). That's probably why I'm generally openminded and non-discriminating today, I guess kids are like that anyway, so it stuck with me. :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/28/08 at 10:47 pm

Well now..you know me..I am very detail oriented, and consider myself a self-proclaimed girl geek...but hey, nothing wrong with that. I've always been this way. I've never been a part of the "popular" crowd...but that's okay too. I am very quirky (hence the name ;))...and I have embraced that. :)

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/28/08 at 10:50 pm

Oh totally, oh my god, I absolutely agree with that. ;) That's how I was as a kid, not just with music but pretty much anything. When I was, say 7 years old I just liked a song if it was catchy (regardless of style or tempo or what the artist was like). That's probably why I'm generally openminded and non-discriminating today, I guess kids are like that anyway, so it stuck with me. :)

Well, we all conform in some way or other, especially as children, but as you get older, you hopefully grow more comfortable in your skin.

I've always hated the term "guilty pleasure".  I'm not guilty about anything I enjoy.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/28/08 at 10:54 pm

Well, we all conform in some way or other, especially as children, but as you get older, you hopefully grow more comfortable in your skin.

I've always hated the term "guilty pleasure".  I'm not guilty about anything I enjoy.

True, I've kinda learned to be that way, luckily! For awhile in the late '90s or just after I got out of high school in 2000, I did try and fit in with people I didn't necesarilly like, just because I wanted to be "cooler" (I think we all want acceptance) by certain people. I never gave up anything I liked, but I would sorta pretend to be someone I wasnt, and I learned from that. I never was ashamed of my lifelong '80s fandom or anything, but it would discourage me when people close to my age ripped on it or acted like they didn't know anything about it (when I was like 19, I didn't like 17 year olds making me feel old).

But yeah, I'm not ashamed of things I like now. It's also easier for me to be expressive with how I really feel on certain things (I do it politely, but still) instead of just ignoring it.

Written By: Jessica on 04/28/08 at 10:57 pm

I think it's all in how you present it. If you're going on and on about it, people are naturally going to assume the worst about you and your nature. I could use the "banned member who shall not be named and is constantly trying to rejoin" as an example. He cared a lot about a topic that I won't even mention by name, but he beat the hell out of it by making 1094853409683209630985403967 similar posts. :D

*edited to add*: This isn't a dig at you, BTW. I do think it is in how you present what you know. :)

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/28/08 at 11:00 pm

I am analytical and detail oriented when it comes to music, as I am sure everyone here knows by now LOL

If a thread pops up about a song and artist, I will take the time to research chart histories and post them, because most of the time, it drives me crazy when wrong facts or not all of the information is there LOL

Well, someone's gotta do it 'cause my memory sucks!  I know you've answered things for me from time to time and I appreciate your attention to detail.

Written By: Brian06 on 04/28/08 at 11:05 pm

True, I like a lot of rather stupid music since I like literally almost any kind of music in one way or another, I don't feel guilty about anything.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/29/08 at 1:20 am

I was never teased for it at school or anything (not beyond some good spirited teasing by friends), but there've been people who seem surprised. Like "oh how do you know when that song came out?" without realizing I just tend to remember details, especially with something I enjoy.

Get into computer programming, mathematics, engineering, or even a tangential discipline like economics, actuarial science, or cryptology.  There are loads of careers (careers, not just jobs) where being able to pull random facts together into a coherent whole, or being able to see the pattern that connects seemingly-unrelated events isn't just really useful as job skill, it makes the job fun.

Actually, scrap that first sentence.  Just get into whatever it is that you enjoy.  You'll end up good enough at it to make a job out of it, and it'll be fun.

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/29/08 at 7:32 am

Get into computer programming, mathematics, engineering, or even a tangential discipline like economics, actuarial science, or cryptology.  There are loads of careers (careers, not just jobs) where being able to pull random facts together into a coherent whole, or being able to see the pattern that connects seemingly-unrelated events isn't just really useful as job skill, it makes the job fun.

Actually, scrap that first sentence.  Just get into whatever it is that you enjoy.  You'll end up good enough at it to make a job out of it, and it'll be fun.

Very true!  My brother-in-law is a statistician at the Elias Sports Bureau and can tell you all these random, crazy facts like how many left handed pitchers threw a no-hitter on a cloudy wednesday, or whatever.  While this bores the hell out of me, he's taken his passion for sports and his talent for managing facts and made it his life's work.  They even quote him at ball games and in the newspaper.

Check for new replies or respond here...