inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: This is a perfect example of why I despise other men sometimes.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/01/08 at 4:43 pm

This is a Married With Children episode from 1993 that I can really identify with in some ways.

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsmdD-LyaHY
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dayEamUYJYs&feature=related

Pretty much Al Bundy organizes an anti-feminist group called "No Ma'am" after women take over a bowling alley and a strip club. Even though I initially just watched it because of Jerry Springer's cameo (it was a humorous take on his serious show at the time...playing the Masculine Feminist), I found myself especially cheering on Marcie in Part II. ;)

I felt kinda silly getting annoyed at fictional sitcom characters, but the way Al and his buddies were thinking isn't too far from alot of men seemingly. I think it's guys like them who perpetuate the "men are pigs" stereotype, and the reasons women and society in general has a negative image, and I can't blame them. When that's the majority and you're not, it's hard because you have to work twice as hard to set yoursself apart.

Although Springer was generally being silly here, I do appreciate nonthreatening men who go against the crowd. He seems classy (even with the trailer park direction of his show since the late '90s) and I guess that's one reason I always liked him.

Subject: Re: This is a perfect example of why I despise other men sometimes.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/01/08 at 10:30 pm

This is a Married With Children episode from 1993 that I can really identify with in some ways.

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsmdD-LyaHY
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dayEamUYJYs&feature=related

Pretty much Al Bundy organizes an anti-feminist group called "No Ma'am" after women take over a bowling alley and a strip club. Even though I initially just watched it because of Jerry Springer's cameo (it was a humorous take on his serious show at the time...playing the Masculine Feminist), I found myself especially cheering on Marcie in Part II. ;)

I felt kinda silly getting annoyed at fictional sitcom characters, but the way Al and his buddies were thinking isn't too far from alot of men seemingly. I think it's guys like them who perpetuate the "men are pigs" stereotype, and the reasons women and society in general has a negative image, and I can't blame them. When that's the majority and you're not, it's hard because you have to work twice as hard to set yoursself apart.

Although Springer was generally being silly here, I do appreciate nonthreatening men who go against the crowd. He seems classy (even with the trailer park direction of his show since the late '90s) and I guess that's one reason I always liked him.

hhahaa..Marcie was great! I especially liked the tumbleweed rolling through their vacant livingroom. Good episode. ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/01/08 at 11:32 pm

^ Aww thanks hon, glad you liked it. ;) Yeah, even though Al and his friends were pretty much slobs it was pretty funny all around. From that same scene, I liked "Did you cancel the newspaper?" "Won't the Darcy's be mad, it's their paper!"

Written By: whistledog on 05/01/08 at 11:34 pm

I remember when that episode aired.  I thought it was hilarious.  It just goes to show you that when married men get together, nothing good can come of it ;D

Written By: Howard on 05/02/08 at 7:16 am

Why do you despise men? ???

Written By: Bobby on 05/06/08 at 4:27 pm

Why do you despise men? ???

Tee hee . . .

I love 'Married with Children' and the Al Bundy character was hilarious.

I will ask you a rhetorical question, Marty. Do you hate women too as Peggy is also depicted as an idle, neglectful mother who takes every opportunity to spend Al's pittance of a paycheck? ;)

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/07/08 at 12:58 am

I will ask you a rhetorical question, Marty. Do you hate women too as Peggy is also depicted as an idle, neglectful mother who takes every opportunity to spend Al's pittance of a paycheck? ;)

That's what I loved most about Married With Children.  The hate was spread around equally, which was what made it funny.

Al Bundy was what every self-respecting man should grow up trying not to be -- and Bundy himself would have been the first to tell you as much.  From the glory days of high school football success, marriage brought him down to selling women's shoes. 

But for every Al Bundy, there was a Peggy Bundy -- who was what every self-respecting woman should grow up trying not to be.  For all the bonbons she could eat, and all the Oprah she could watch, she was, shall we say, still "unfulfilled" in at least one important part of life.

Yes, Marcy D'Arcy showed me that a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle.
But Al Bundy showed me that a man needs a woman like a bicycle needs a fish!

Written By: Bobby on 05/07/08 at 5:19 am

That's what I loved most about Married With Children.  The hate was spread around equally, which was what made it funny.

Bang on, brother.

There were no good characters in 'Married with Children' all showing their dark sides at some point or other. I think the closest 'good' character is Steve though I think he waged a vendetta against his former bullies at school at one point, lol.

Al Bundy was what every self-respecting man should grow up trying not to be -- and Bundy himself would have been the first to tell you as much.  From the glory days of high school football success, marriage brought him down to selling women's shoes. 

It is fair to say Bundy took as well as dished it out, lol. I actually like Al for all the wrong reasons. I'm probably a chauvinist too.  ;D

But for every Al Bundy, there was a Peggy Bundy -- who was what every self-respecting woman should grow up trying not to be.  For all the bonbons she could eat, and all the Oprah she could watch, she was, shall we say, still "unfulfilled" in at least one important part of life.

Ha ha, I remember an early episode where she went out to work to get a VCR so she could 'watch Oprah and tape Donahue'.

Yes, Marcy D'Arcy showed me that a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle.
But Al Bundy showed me that a man needs a woman like a bicycle needs a fish!

IMO, Marcy is worse than Peggy because, as Peggy is kind of resigned to her fate and uses humour as a defence mechanism, Marcy is the stereotyped irrational/dark PMT 24/7 type woman every bloke fears will finally go off on one and have a nervous breakdown.

Written By: Howard on 05/07/08 at 7:03 am

Tee hee . . .

I love 'Married with Children' and the Al Bundy character was hilarious.

Al Bundy was funny,He should be my Father. ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...