inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Please, wear your seatbelts.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/04/08 at 1:59 am

Just found out a little over an hour ago that my 15-year-old nephew was seriously injured in a car accident. He was riding in a Jeep with a friend when they lost control and both were ejected from the vehicle. My nephew suffered several broken bones (including a couple of vertebrae in his neck) but thankfully they're expecting him to make a full recovery with no permanent injuries. The driver suffered a skull fracture and they're not quite sure how he's going to come out of it yet.

I was rather shook up when I received the news and still am a little, especially when I think about how much worse it easily could've been. I'm just thankful that he's still alive and won't suffer from any kind of permanent paralysis.

I probably don't have to tell most of you this but please, for the love of God, wear your seatbelts.

Subject: Re: Please, wear your seatbelts.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/04/08 at 3:09 am

Kids!  I swear they think they're indestructable.  I know, I used to think so too way back when I was one.

Never too late to learn a good lesson.  Hopefully you've made someone stop and think with your post.

I don't even drive thru a parking lot a few feet without putting my seatbelt on now.  ;D

Really glad your nephew came thru it relatively ok.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/04/08 at 6:43 am

Remember that Princess Diana was not wearing her safety belt when she was tragically killed in 1997. Medical experts do say that her life would have been saved if she was.

Written By: Tia on 05/04/08 at 7:26 am

i'm sorry to hear your family member is going through such a tough time. i've always worn my seat belts but i've definitely done some stupid driving tricks in my life, mostly when i was younger, and i'm lucky my head's still attached to my body.

Written By: whistledog on 05/04/08 at 7:51 am

Sorry to hear about your nephew, but glad to hear he is alive.  It's a rough scene out there in the driving world, and seatbelts are always a must

The other day as I was on my way to work, I get off the highway (freeway) and I'm doing 100km on an 80km road.  Suddenly the guy behind me decides to pass me, so like an idiot, he pulls into the opposing lane, and narrowly misses hitting an oncoming car by just inches before pulling infront of me.  Then he decides to pass the car infront of him, so he pulls out in the path of another oncoming car, again missing this one by inches.  Both cars had to swerve out of the way.  It's people like this that make seatbelts a must wear because as long as there are crazy drivers on the road, no one will ever be safe :(

Written By: Jessica on 05/04/08 at 8:42 am

I always wear my seatbelt, whether we're going 200 feet or 2000 miles. Same thing for the boy. And anyone who gets into my car HAS to wear a seatbelt, no excuses.

I hope your nephew makes a full recovery and I hope his friend pulls through.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/04/08 at 8:49 am

Please ensure that your nephew makes a speedy recovery.

Written By: ninny on 05/04/08 at 8:54 am

I'm glad to hear your nephew is going to recover,I hope the same can be said about his friend.
My son does not have his license yet and has to rely on his friends for rides back and forth to college and else where and I always worry that something might happen.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/04/08 at 10:52 am

I'm so glad that he'll be okay. :)

Written By: nally on 05/04/08 at 12:58 pm

Sorry to hear about this, Al. Best wishes for your nephew's recovery.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/04/08 at 1:19 pm

I'm sorry to hear that your nephew was involved in a serious accident, Al.  I do hope he makes a full recovery (and that his friend also pulls through this).

The other day as I was on my way to work, I get off the highway (freeway) and I'm doing 100km on an 80km road.  Suddenly the guy behind me decides to pass me, so like an idiot, he pulls into the opposing lane, and narrowly misses hitting an oncoming car by just inches before pulling infront of me.  Then he decides to pass the car infront of him, so he pulls out in the path of another oncoming car, again missing this one by inches.  Both cars had to swerve out of the way.  It's people like this that make seatbelts a must wear because as long as there are crazy drivers on the road, no one will ever be safe :(

It's people who are in a hurry to go nowhere that often cause terrible accidents on the roads.  And often it's not them...but rather, the 'innocent' ones who suffer in the end.  :(

I am in the habit of buckling up my seatbelt from the moment I close the car door.  The same goes for my kids.  It only takes but a moment of your time, so why not do it and be safe?  :)

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/04/08 at 3:17 pm

There is no excuse not to wear a seatbelt.  My good thoughts are with your family.

Written By: Howard on 05/04/08 at 4:54 pm

Always wear your seatbelt at all time,no excuse. >:(

Written By: coqueta83 on 05/04/08 at 7:51 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about your nephew, AL-B. I'm very glad to hear he will be OK, though. I'm hoping for a full and speedy recovery.

Yes, please please wear your seat belts. I hear of so many stories in the news where people have died or were seriously injured in a car accident and were not wearing their seat belts. I still see people driving around without wearing seat belts.  :(

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/04/08 at 11:49 pm

I wish your nephew a speedy recovery.  Some people just don't know how much a seatbelt can alter the outcome of an accident.  Sometimes they are the difference between life and death.

Written By: Howard on 05/05/08 at 7:03 am

Hope your nephew's doing well Wayne.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/05/08 at 7:28 am

Hope your nephew's doing well Wayne.

It was Al's nephew, not Wayne's.

Written By: Gis on 05/05/08 at 8:13 am

In the U.K the pair of them would be facing a hefty fine from their hospital bed and possibly a court case. It's against the law to ride without a seatbelt in this country. It never ceases to amaze me that it isn't the same in other countries too. :-\\

I hope he gets well soon Al.

Written By: Davester on 05/05/08 at 8:16 am

Sorry to hear about your nephew.  I always wear my seatbelt...

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/05/08 at 8:19 am

In the U.K the pair of them would be facing a hefty fine from their hospital bed and possibly a court case. It's against the law to ride without a seatbelt in this country. It never ceases to amaze me that it isn't the same in other countries too. :-\\

I hope he gets well soon Al.

It's the law here in New York, also.  I assumed all states have passed that law.

Written By: karen on 05/05/08 at 10:42 am

It's the law here in New York, also.  I assumed all states have passed that law.

Only New Hampshire has no law about wearing seatbelts.  In some states it is only a secondary offence (i.e. they can't ctop and ticket you just because you are not wearing your seatbelt).  Also in many states it only applies to front seats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seat_belt_legislation_in_the_United_States

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 05/05/08 at 11:35 am

It was Al's nephew, not Wayne's.

Quite correct, Howard- this is Al's nephew.

I, too, am pleased that your nephew will be recovering from this.

You know, I used to believe that when it came to adults, they should be able to make up their own mind about whether they wore their seat belts or not. The reason being- for every story I have heard about seat belts saving lives, I have heard just as many stories about how not wearing one saved a life, or how wearing one actually hindered a life being saved.

However, my thinking has changed, somewhat- mainly due to the fact that when we teach children to wear them we should "practice what we preach". That, and a few tickets in the past.
Those damn things add up!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/05/08 at 10:42 pm

I'm back in Nebraska right now and just got back from visiting my nephew at the hospital. He seems to be in good spirits but his prospects of making a full recovery aren't quite as certain as I previously mentioned. The odds are in his favor but it's not 100%. Tomorrow he has to undergo some delicate surgery to stabilize his vertebrae in his neck, and after that we should have a better idea of how things should turn out.

The kid driving the jeep was staying in the room next door yesterday but he was gone today, my sister said he went home from the hospital so it sounds like he's going to be OK. I guess my nephew's friend "borrowed" his dad's jeep and they went joyriding, and he lost control at about 45 mph and they were both ejected from the vehicle. I guess it rolled about 3 or 4 times and it crushed my nephew's left arm, and he underwent surgery yesterday to reattach the muscles and ligaments. Really he's lucky to be alive.

My nephew started playing the guitar about a year or so ago and he was starting to get really good at it, we're all hoping that he'll regain full function in his hand so he can start playing again.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your concern.  :)

Written By: Gis on 05/06/08 at 2:40 am

I'm back in Nebraska right now and just got back from visiting my nephew at the hospital. He seems to be in good spirits but his prospects of making a full recovery aren't quite as certain as I previously mentioned. The odds are in his favor but it's not 100%. Tomorrow he has to undergo some delicate surgery to stabilize his vertebrae in his neck, and after that we should have a better idea of how things should turn out.

The kid driving the jeep was staying in the room next door yesterday but he was gone today, my sister said he went home from the hospital so it sounds like he's going to be OK. I guess my nephew's friend "borrowed" his dad's jeep and they went joyriding, and he lost control at about 45 mph and they were both ejected from the vehicle. I guess it rolled about 3 or 4 times and it crushed my nephew's left arm, and he underwent surgery yesterday to reattach the muscles and ligaments. Really he's lucky to be alive.

My nephew started playing the guitar about a year or so ago and he was starting to get really good at it, we're all hoping that he'll regain full function in his hand so he can start playing again.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your concern.  :)
man that sucks, fingers crossed it all goes very well today.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 05/06/08 at 4:50 am

I hope your nephew and his friend make a complete recovery. Putting my seat belt on is the very first thing I do when I get in the car...

Written By: Howard on 05/06/08 at 2:52 pm

Glad he's doing well.  :)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/11/08 at 11:03 pm

Just wanted to let you all know that my nephews surgery went well and his chances of making a full recovery are excellent.

Thanks again, all.  :)

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/11/08 at 11:06 pm

Just wanted to let you all know that my nephews surgery went well and his chances of making a full recovery are excellent.

Wonderful news!  We're all still keeping a good thought for him.

Written By: Howard on 05/12/08 at 6:56 am

That's great news. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/08 at 7:11 am

Splendid news, that is exactly the words we all wish to hear.

Written By: ninny on 05/24/08 at 8:51 am

Yesterday we found out that a friend of my son,that he's known since 3rd grade, got into a bad accident with another vehicle. He was ejected from the car and went through the windshield (No seatbelt) the car landed on top of him. The other driver was trapped in their car and had to have the jaws of life extract them.Both were airlifted to the hospital were they are in serious to guarded condition. My son found out last night James (his friend) was responding to voices (thank God)
This morning we were listening to the news to get more details,and found out the other person in the accident is a good friend of my husband,who was an usher in our wedding.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/24/08 at 4:28 pm

I don't know how I missed this thread before.

Al, I'm glad your nephew is ok.
Ninny, I hope your son's friend is ok.

I was in a really bad accident a long time ago. I was hit from behind. I am quite certain that I would have gone through the windshield  if I didn't have my seatbelt on. I feel naked without it.

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/24/08 at 6:00 pm

Ninny, sorry to hear about your son's and husband's friends.  I hope they both pull through.

Written By: coqueta83 on 05/24/08 at 8:10 pm

I'm so sorry about what your husband and son's friends are going through, ninny. I hope they will have a full recovery.

Cat - I'm sorry about what you had to go through. I'm very glad that you had your seatbelt on that day.

Written By: Dagwood on 05/24/08 at 8:33 pm

Ninny, how scary.  They are in my prayers.

Written By: ninny on 05/24/08 at 11:00 pm

I don't know how I missed this thread before.

Al, I'm glad your nephew is ok.
Ninny, I hope your son's friend is ok.

I was in a really bad accident a long time ago. I was hit from behind. I am quite certain that I would have gone through the windshield  if I didn't have my seatbelt on. I feel naked without it.

Cat

Thanks,the last we heard he was in stable condition
I'm glad you were wearing your seatbelt that day.
Ninny, sorry to hear about your son's and husband's friends.  I hope they both pull through.

I'm so sorry about what your husband and son's friends are going through, ninny. I hope they will have a full recovery.

Cat - I'm sorry about what you had to go through. I'm very glad that you had your seatbelt on that day.

Ninny, how scary.  They are in my prayers.

Thank you all, the last we heard they both were in stable condition. My husbands friend has a broken back,not sure of the extint of it. My son's friend has head injuries,we hope to be finding out more tomorrow.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/25/08 at 1:29 am

Yesterday we found out that a friend of my son,that he's known since 3rd grade, got into a bad accident with another vehicle. He was ejected from the car and went through the windshield (No seatbelt) the car landed on top of him. The other driver was trapped in their car and had to have the jaws of life extract them.Both were airlifted to the hospital were they are in serious to guarded condition. My son found out last night James (his friend) was responding to voices (thank God)
This morning we were listening to the news to get more details,and found out the other person in the accident is a good friend of my husband,who was an usher in our wedding.
Sorry to hear about your son's and husband's friends.

I hope they make a full recovery.

Written By: ninny on 05/25/08 at 5:54 am

Sorry to hear about your son's and husband's friends.

I hope they make a full recovery.

Thank You...How is your nephew doing?

Written By: Howard on 05/25/08 at 6:21 am

Sorry to hear about your son's friend,You're in my prayers. :)

Written By: ninny on 05/25/08 at 8:20 am

Sorry to hear about your son's friend,You're in my prayers. :)

Thank you.I called the hospital this morning and my sons friend is in satisfactory condition,my husbands friend is in guarded condition.

Check for new replies or respond here...