inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 14 Differences Americans should be aware of when travelling "Down Under"

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/05/08 at 11:50 am

14 Reasons

I'm totally going to make sure anyone with the country code of Australia in their settings has the words root and fanny in their signatures >grin<

Subject: Re: 14 Differences Americans should be aware of when travelling "Down Under"

Written By: Tia on 05/05/08 at 12:04 pm

i remember before thongs became big and we called flipflops thongs in america, or maybe it was just in the south. thongs are pretty recent, i think, because they're rather revealing.

oh wow, "i'm rooting for you" could get one badly, badly hurt in australia.

my big moment like this was ordering an "iced tea" in the UK. not only do folks in england, who are quite serious about boiled tea, not have iced tea, they don't even typically know of its existence. in the south where i grew up iced tea is basically required by law, and drinking hot tea makes you look effete.

Subject: Re: 14 Differences Americans should be aware of when travelling "Down Under"

Written By: whistledog on 05/05/08 at 12:34 pm

In Canada, we refer to a thong as a rubber sandal as well

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/05/08 at 1:04 pm

I heard some Americans have been known to try and pet Koalas that are in the wild.  Of course they're surprised when the Koala scratches and bites them.

Written By: Dagwood on 05/05/08 at 1:12 pm

i remember before thongs became big and we called flipflops thongs in america, or maybe it was just in the south. thongs are pretty recent, i think, because they're rather revealing.

I still call them thongs. 

Written By: Tia on 05/05/08 at 2:03 pm

don't mention how great "mad max" is. they're sick of hearing that.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/05/08 at 2:40 pm

don't mention how great "mad max" is. they're sick of hearing that.

how about calling into their radio stations and asking them to play Men at Work songs?

Written By: Tia on 05/05/08 at 2:47 pm

or making crocodile dundee references.

i dunno, i seem to be a lot better at coming up with don'ts than do's. hmm.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/05/08 at 3:02 pm

or making crocodile dundee references.

i dunno, i seem to be a lot better at coming up with don'ts than do's. hmm.

I bet the Simpsons epsiode when they went to Australia is a good source of do's

Written By: Paul on 05/05/08 at 3:54 pm

To a degree, Oz and Britain are the only places I'm aware of where the word 'bastard' can be used as a term of endearment!

However, I wouldn't advise trying this on complete strangers!  ;)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/07/08 at 3:27 am

The Thong

A thong is an iconic piece of Australian strappy footwear often constructed from rubber and sold cheaply in supermarkets (known as flip flops or jandals in other parts of the world).

An American thong is a strappy piece of underwear worn (preferably) by slender, tanned women with Brazilian bikini waxes (also known as a G-string).

That's actually one thing that the Aussie & New Zealand language don't have in common. We call a thong the same as what Americans call 'em. Many jokes are made...

Check for new replies or respond here...