inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Name a famous person you admire, and why.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/13/08 at 7:18 pm

There's so many, but just on a personal level, I'll start with Jerry Springer:

Just as a person I admire him because (1) he comes across as a good-hearted man who cares about people in general; and (2) he's usually very sensible and articulate in looking as issues, and delving a little into both sides regardless of his own opinion. From young and idealistic politician to classy middle-aged news anchor (which is how he was early in his talk show, before it slowly turned into a WWE match) to now an almost senior citizen pop culture icon...he's almost poetic with putting words together.

Example - here's a Final Thought from a show he did around 1996 which had "shock rockers" on and people's concern with their effect on kids. One of the bands was Gwar (who were actually pretty smart and spoke well. Their act was just theatrical and for fun) although the guy in the other band was a real scumbag.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XswljYIopY

Subject: Re: Name a famous person you admire, and why.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/14/08 at 9:30 am

Even though there are a lot of current celebrities that I really like/admire, the one that I think held a legacy for children and adults alike was Mr. Fred Rogers.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9f/Bwsweep.jpg

Mr. Rogers was a local celebrity in our area. He grew up in Latrobe, Pa...which is only a few minutes from where I live.

Some facts about Mr. Rogers that not all people know about:

**Besides being the host of, Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, Fred Rogers was also an ordained Presbyterian minister.

**He served in the 101st Airborne during the Vietnam War.

** He was red/green colorblind.

**Following secondary school, he studied at Dartmouth College in Hanover, New Hampshire between 1946 and 1948 before transferring to Rollins College in Winter Park, Florida. He received a BA in music composition there in 1951.

**In 1962, Rogers graduated from Pittsburgh Theological Seminary and was ordained a minister in the Presbyterian Church.

**He was a vegetarian who swam every morning, and neither smoked nor drank.

**Rogers began wearing his famous sneakers when he found them to be quieter than his work shoes when he moved about behind the set.

**The sweaters he wore on the show were hand knit by his mother.

**Rogers composed all the music for his series.

**Mister Rogers' Neighborhood won four Emmy awards, including one for lifetime achievement.

**During the 1997 Daytime Emmys, the Lifetime Achievement Award was presented to Rogers.

To me, and many others...he seemed like such a genuine man. I wrote a letter to him one time, asking for an autographed photo (I used to collect those), and he generously sent one back, along with a hand written letter..and a few sheets of lyrics/notes to one of his songs about friendship. It made me smile. :) I really miss Mr. Rogers.

Written By: Howard on 05/15/08 at 1:06 pm

My job coach. :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/15/08 at 5:27 pm

My job coach. :)

aww..that's nice Howard, but he's not famous. ;)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 05/15/08 at 5:46 pm

Peter Gabriel.

His views on many subjects mirror my own.
His music is very powerful, and he was a pioneeer in the Music Video Department.

Written By: ninny on 05/15/08 at 6:01 pm

Elton John

He has been going strong since the 1960's.
He has gone through alot of adversity
He has overcome addiction
He has overcome bias
He has overcome health problems
He is a damn good musician :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/15/08 at 6:56 pm

he's pretty well known around here  ;D  and per definition of famous 1. Well or widely known, and known to or recognized by many people   

Written By: Bobby on 05/15/08 at 7:20 pm

Hmmmmm . . . Let me think . . .

Written By: woops on 05/15/08 at 7:42 pm

nobody since celebrities aren't worth admiring

Sure I like songs, movies, tv shows, etc. but that's basically it.

Written By: Howard on 05/16/08 at 3:42 pm

He's been in the job coaching business for almost 15 years.

Check for new replies or respond here...