inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Online Bullies and immature junk gets on my nerves

Written By: woops on 05/14/08 at 8:27 pm

I'm getting sick of rude, snarky, immature comments. Especially from those that are supposedly much older than myself.

I know it's best to ignore them, but it's getting out of hand.

Ugh... it's getting annoying

It's all I'm saying

Subject: Re: Online Bullies and immature junk gets on my nerves

Written By: Jessica on 05/14/08 at 8:30 pm

And yet you stay..... ???

Written By: Brian06 on 05/14/08 at 8:32 pm

Is a bash on Debbie considering "bullying" to you? Don't you realize that you take pleasure in bashing pop culture figures yourself all the time? Why do you get all wound up when somebody bashes your precious? C'mon...  ::)

Written By: woops on 05/14/08 at 8:41 pm

There's a difference between saying "I don't like _____"   than something like "Paris Hilton Smells Like Dirty Diapers" or whatever.

I only trash celebrities in the right context and the right thread (ie annoying celebs). I wouldn't barge into a Michael Jackson or '70's disco thread.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/14/08 at 8:55 pm

I saw a light joke about her singing, if that's the post you are referring to, I didn't see anything saying she "smells like dirty diapers" or whatever. I don't see the big deal, not like it was a personal jab at you anyway.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/14/08 at 8:56 pm

Well, first on a serious note, I don't like to hurt anyone's feelings intentionally or not...so I do apologize if I've done that. But with all due respect dude, you have to be able to take constructive criticism and look at things from other people's points of view. I've learned that myself if I've been in a debate with someone, is I try and look at how they might look at what I'm saying, or I view it from an outsider's perspective and sometimes I can pick out how I may have come across.

On the subject of Debbie - like whoever you want, that's not the issue. You HAVE to admit though, when she's basically the only celebrity you rave about, and tend to downplay everyone else or say they suck in comparison, it comes across as whiny and snobbish. Especially like when you get all ticked off if someone doesn't call her "Deborah", or you think her stuff is the best thing since sliced bread and nothing else has any validity in comparison. You come off like an unhealthily obsessed fan, even SHE probably doesn't look at herself that way! ;)

Hey there's lots of celebrities or music that I like too, but (1) I like a good variety, and (2) more importantly, I'm sensible about it.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/14/08 at 8:59 pm

Well, first on a serious note, I don't like to hurt anyone's feelings intentionally or not...so I do apologize if I've done that.

But with all due respect dude, you have to be able to take constructive criticism and look at things from other people's points of view. I've learned that myself if I've been in a debate with someone, is I try and look at how they might look at what I'm saying, or I view it from an outsider's perspective and sometimes I can pick out how I may have come across.

On the subject of Debbie - like whoever you want, that's not the issue. You HAVE to admit though, when she's basically the only celebrity you rave about, and tend to downplay everyone else or say they suck in comparison, it comes across as whiny and snobbish. Especially like when you get all ticked off if someone doesn't call her "Deborah", or you think her stuff is the best thing since sliced bread and nothing else has any validity in comparison. Even SHE probably doesn't look at herself that way!

Hey there's lots of celebrities or music that I like too, but (1) I like a good variety, and (2) more importantly, I'm sensible about it.

Yeah so true I mean who cares if somebody calls her Deborah or Debbie, it's like me making a big deal out of somebody calling me "Bri" casually or whatever. You just have to realize that everybody likes different things and it's best to not get worked up over something as stupid as music taste (sadly I know I've been guilty of this before).

Written By: woops on 05/14/08 at 9:05 pm

I actually have a wide taste. It's just that I mostly post on the board games section since I've been posting here for a few years.

I posted about the 20th anniversay of "Yo! MTV Raps" and also vintage animation and got very little or no notice while threads about whatever tabloid story of the week gets the attention.

Written By: whistledog on 05/14/08 at 9:08 pm

You have to realize that when you talk about Debbie Gibson as much as you do, stuff like this is going to happen.  It is all in fun of course.  I certainly don't mean any harm by it.  I grew up listening to Debbie Gibson, and I loved her songs.  

Stuff like "Debbie Gibson is better than Mariah Carey" or "Christina Aguilera is trashy, whereas Deborah Gibson is a talented pop singer and broadway star" will generally get immature and joke comments flying, but you have to expect that

On the subject of Debbie - like whoever you want, that's not the issue. You HAVE to admit though, when she's basically the only celebrity you rave about, and tend to downplay everyone else or say they suck in comparison, it comes across as whiny and snobbish. Especially like when you get all ticked off if someone doesn't call her "Deborah", or you think her stuff is the best thing since sliced bread and nothing else has any validity in comparison. Even SHE probably doesn't look at herself that way!

I agree with this 100%

Written By: woops on 05/14/08 at 9:16 pm

I don't post those things anymore and I was like 19/20.  Most of my threads, which I only post like every one or two months are about news/interviews about upcoming projects.

Written By: whistledog on 05/14/08 at 9:21 pm

I don't post those things anymore and I was like 19/20.  Most of my threads, which I only post like every one or two months are about news/interviews about upcoming projects.

Thing is that those posts still circulate and often get bumped, so it gives off the impression that you have DG on the brain 24/7

I do like your posts about vintage animation.  It's great to see someone of your age with a love for great classic cartoons :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/14/08 at 11:16 pm

There's a difference between saying "I don't like _____"   than something like "Paris Hilton Smells Like Dirty Diapers" or whatever.

I only trash celebrities in the right context and the right thread (ie annoying celebs). I wouldn't barge into a Michael Jackson or '70's disco thread.

The thing is...they are only celebrities. Who cares who says what about them...does it really affect your life at all? No..I think not.  Do I honestly think that everyone thinks that the Ramones are the best band around...no. Do I get offended if someone else doesn't share my love for Johnny Galecki? No. It's all about personal opinion. If everyone liked the same person...wouldn't that be boring?  You need to learn not to let these comments get to you..don't take them so personally. I could see if Debbie was your sister or something...but you don't even know her..and you never will. Ya know?

Written By: woops on 05/15/08 at 12:29 am

Agree

Though I'm just tired of reading celebrity bashing and also all that junk on VH1 & E!.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/15/08 at 4:20 am

I never thought I'd be agreeing with woops on anything lol....but I will say ONE thing in his defense (even if he takes the Debbie crap too far) is that it does somewhat annoy me when people make remarks or assumptions about someone "off the cuff" without knowing the facts or bothering to investigate it, it just shows a lack of forethought.

Pretty much I don't mind if you dislike or even insult someone...all I ask is that you know what you're talking about first. I'm more than happy to have an argument with someone as long as they've researched it and aren't making blind assumptions by their first impressions. The worst thing you can do is prejudge someone, because I doubt you'd want that done to you. If I ever argue in someone's favor (real life, celebrity or anyone at all) it's because I have things to back it up with.

For instance, it really upset me in high school when people trashed Springer. I had some teachers who would shoot off these "oh he's nuts, his show is faked, blah blah blah" insults without even knowing his respectable careers and life up until the mid '90s...or just other aspects of him I'm aware of. I think the fact that EDUCATORS were being that close-minded is what ticked me off. Not to sound cocky, but anytime I've exposed people to his serious side, they've usually changed their minds. I can understand if all they associate him with was his trailer park wrestling match of a show how they could walk away with a bad impression...but I actually convinced my one English teacher about him and got an A+ on a book report of his autobiography.

By that logic, the same could be true for anyone else. There's some celebrities I don't like or that rub me the wrong way...and there's some that I'm just ambivalent about where I don't care either way. So I just don't pay attention or talk about them, but I wouldn't go out of my way to insult them either, especially since I don't know (or in some cases care) about their lives.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/15/08 at 5:01 am

^Let me just follow up on that point really quick and say, that applies not just to celebrities/people, but to anything that's remotely "controversial" or otherwise misunderstood. Anything from different lifestyles, religions, sexual orientation...or any type of pop culture (i.e. music, video games, TV shows) that get negative press.

The core of the issue is again, when people who aren't as researched on both sides of the subject, make assumptions as if it's factual. For example, saying that a kid listening to heavy metal or rap is going to become violent or a loser, etc.

Written By: Bobby on 05/15/08 at 5:11 am

I must admit, Woops, I was expecting something like this was going to happen as your preoccupation with Debbie Gibson is like Donnie Darko's preoccupation with decades, lol.

You having a female crush or role-model isn't a bad thing, I went through that stage too, but you will realise that everybody, not just Debbie Gibson, is just as human and fallible as everybody else.

As far as views on celebrities are concerned, as long as they are making money, they really couldn't care less what we think and if they go around doing stupid things like shave their own heads for publicity, beat people up or get put into jail for drink/drug related charges then they deserve everything they get.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/15/08 at 5:17 am

I must admit, Woops, I was expecting something like this was going to happen as your preoccupation with Debbie Gibson is like Donnie Darko's preoccupation with decades, lol.

You having a female crush or role-model isn't a bad thing, I went through that stage too, but you will realise that everybody, not just Debbie Gibson, is just as human and fallible as everybody else.

As far as views on celebrities are concerned, as long as they are making money, they really couldn't care less what we think and if they go around doing stupid things like shave their own heads for publicity, beat people up or get put into jail for drink/drug related charges then they deserve everything they get.

You know, one thing I like about you is that you always have a classy, non-judgemental  way of putting things while still being able to express an opinion. Good for you man. :)

I do basically agree with you though. Not just for celebs, but with anyone I think it works both ways in the sense that if you do something publically, you open yourself up to criticism as well as compliments. If you express an opinion, you have to expect other people to respond back - to express their opinion as well.

That's a really good point too, I mean nobody on Earth is perfect and we all mess up, so we can't really totally put anyone up on a pedastal. Although there of course are people who are more respectable than others.

Written By: Bobby on 05/15/08 at 5:32 am

You know, one thing I like about you is that you always have a classy, non-judgemental  way of putting things while still being able to express an opinion. Good for you man. :)

Ha ha, I wish I was a little more diplomatic like you, Marty, but I'm a bit of a straight-shooter believing in the idea that the only truth you can trust is your own . . . Anyhow, I digress. :)

I do basically agree with you though. Not just for celebs, but with anyone I think it works both ways in the sense that if you do something publically, you open yourself up to criticism as well as compliments. If you express an opinion, you have to expect other people to respond back - to express their opinion as well.

This is exactly it, it works both ways. Think of it in another perspective, when these people do incredibly stupid things they get recognised for it. I've had my head shaved and I know that won't make the tabloids, lol.

That's a really good point too, I mean nobody on Earth is perfect and we all mess up, so we can't really totally put anyone up on a pedastal. Although there of course are people who are more respectable than others.

Of course. As I seem to say a lot these days, it's all a matter of perspective. :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/15/08 at 5:37 am

^ Yeah, you know what? I also believe it doesn't nearly as much matter the opinion being expressed, but how it's delivered. I don't think anyone needs to change their views on anything, but just try and be understanding of the other side and try and see where they're coming from too (so long as the viewpoint being expressied isn't hurting anyone or advocating a crime). I really think our society would be a much friendlier place if we all could do that.

Written By: Bobby on 05/15/08 at 5:48 am

^ Yeah, you know what? I also believe it doesn't nearly as much matter the opinion being expressed, but how it's delivered. I don't think anyone needs to change their views on anything, but just try and be understanding of the other side and try and see where they're coming from too (so long as the viewpoint being expressied isn't hurting anyone or advocating a crime). I really think our society would be a much friendlier place if we all could do that.

According to research, 55% of our communication comes from our body-language, 38% comes from the pitch and tone of our delivery and only 7% of what we actually say is taken into account - thought provoking stuff indeed.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/15/08 at 5:52 am

According to research, 55% of our communication comes from our body-language, 38% comes from the pitch and tone of our delivery and only 7% of what we actually say is taken into account - thought provoking stuff indeed.

That's interesting, I never realized that, but it does make some sense to me. That might explain why communicating something in text doesn't always come across as well, because we can't hear the inflections in the other person's voice or mannerisms.

Written By: ninny on 05/15/08 at 6:06 am

We don't live in a perfect world,if we did I would be a size 3  :) You have to realize that everyone has their own taste (for example I like Elton John)but their taste may not always agree with yours. Some people just think that they need to express who they like or dislike,others keep that to themselves.You don't have to agree with their opinions,just take what they say with a grain of salt and go on and enjoy life.

Written By: Midas on 05/15/08 at 9:53 am

Agree

Though I'm just tired of reading celebrity bashing and also all that junk on VH1 & E!.

Then change the channel :D

If you want to perceive me or anyone else here as an online bully, that's your prerogative.  I state my opinions in your threads just as you do.  If you don't like immature junk, don't read it.

You created other threads that didn't have anything to do with Debbie/Deborah Gibson.  Awesome!  Have some karamel.

I perceive this thread as a cry for attention.  That's just my opinion, of course.

We don't live in a perfect world,if we did I would be a size 3  :) You have to realize that everyone has their own taste (for example I like Elton John)but their taste may not always agree with yours. Some people just think that they need to express who they like or dislike,others keep that to themselves.You don't have to agree with their opinions,just take what they say with a grain of salt and go on and enjoy life.

Amen.  Karamel to you too.

Written By: Howard on 05/15/08 at 12:40 pm

Everyone has their own opinion,whether you like it or not.

Written By: woops on 05/15/08 at 1:39 pm

There's a few songs I don't like from Deborah Gibson (ir the horrid "Shock Your Mama"),  I'm actually indifferent towards musicapl theatre, and rather watch Natasha Bedingfield (she's fairly new, though I talk about her on another board) than to go to her Atlantic City performance since I prefer her traditional pop/ballads than showtunes.

My room actually has a Jennifer Lopez poster and framed lithographs of cartoons.

The main intention for those threads/mentioning of the artist were to get people interested and to show that she's more than an '80's pop princess.  Not trying to be Chris Crocker or whatever.

I know she'll never be as famous and that she enjoys on what's she's doing (recording/performing music and theatre...BTW, she have stated that she wants a comeback herself), but if people can have a different perspective of Bon Jovi... why not 'you know who'?

I have  a new respect for vintage animation from reading from the Golden Age Cartoons forum, Toon Zone (both very strict and I would only last a minute), and documentries.  Weren't for them, I would still look at them as "kid stuff".

I'm more suprised that most people here look at me in a certain way. Yes, I have a life, hobbies (collecting records and video tapes, mostly of interest), and pop music.

Written By: Bobby on 05/15/08 at 6:12 pm

That's interesting, I never realized that, but it does make some sense to me. That might explain why communicating something in text doesn't always come across as well, because we can't hear the inflections in the other person's voice or mannerisms.

Very true, and in some ways why people actually communicate better in text (especially when their body language lets them down).

This means that we have the potential to influence anybody without saying anything constructive, lol.

Written By: Bobby on 05/15/08 at 6:18 pm

There's a few songs I don't like from Deborah Gibson (ir the horrid "Shock Your Mama"),  I'm actually indifferent towards musicapl theatre, and rather watch Natasha Bedingfield (she's fairly new, though I talk about her on another board) than to go to her Atlantic City performance since I prefer her traditional pop/ballads than showtunes.

My room actually has a Jennifer Lopez poster and framed lithographs of cartoons.

The main intention for those threads/mentioning of the artist were to get people interested and to show that she's more than an '80's pop princess.  Not trying to be Chris Crocker or whatever.

I know she'll never be as famous and that she enjoys on what's she's doing (recording/performing music and theatre...BTW, she have stated that she wants a comeback herself), but if people can have a different perspective of Bon Jovi... why not 'you know who'?

I have  a new respect for vintage animation from reading from the Golden Age Cartoons forum, Toon Zone (both very strict and I would only last a minute), and documentries.  Weren't for them, I would still look at them as "kid stuff".

I'm more suprised that most people here look at me in a certain way. Yes, I have a life, hobbies (collecting records and video tapes, mostly of interest), and pop music.

You don't have to justify yourself, Woops. You like what you like (I actually fancy Debbie Gibson as a mature woman than when she was about the age of Tiffany way back when). Just be prepared for a little light-hearted flack from time to time when you develop a one-track-mind over certain things - we all do it.  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...