inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Handshakes...

Written By: Davester on 05/19/08 at 9:20 pm

When you encounter someone you know, friend, co-worker, etc. and utter some greeting like "'sup money!" do you shake hands or bump fists.  Everyone I know these days bumps fists and I'm still trying to get used to it.  I extend my hand, they extend their fist and I'll spend a split-second figuring out what's going on.  Older people (45+), I've noticed, shake hands.  30 and 20s usually bump...

Some are basic 'front' bumps and some are 'over-under-then front' bumps.  My aim is not that good (my eyesight isn't that great) and sometimes we just graze pinky knuckles.  Sometimes the over-under-front bumps confuse me... 

A good, firm, 2-pump handshake (webbing-to-webbing) = Good man.  Has your back...

Limp, weak, floppy-wrist handshake = Not to be trusted...

Bumping = Drug sale went off without a hitch.  Here's your cut, 'G..?

When did the fist bumping thing begin.  Personally, I prefer handshakes.  Which do you do..?

Subject: Re: Handshakes...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/19/08 at 10:02 pm

Wow..I can honestly say that I've never experienced the "hand bump" thing, nor have I seen it in person. It must be popular in the area that you are from or something.  :D ;D

Written By: Davester on 05/19/08 at 10:15 pm

Wow..I can honestly say that I've never experienced the "hand bump" thing, nor have I seen it in person. It must be popular in the area that you are from or something.  :D ;D

Oh, I forgot to say that it's mostly a guy thing, although I did meet my new boss today.  She's a silly girl and she shakes, not bumps.  Thank goodness...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/19/08 at 10:17 pm

Oh, I forgot to say that it's mostly a guy thing, although I did meet my new boss today.  She's a silly girl and she shakes, not bumps.  Thank goodness...

hahaa...maybe I will give it a try sometime..just for the heck of it. :D

Written By: Davester on 05/19/08 at 10:18 pm

Do it, seriously.  See what their reaction is...

Written By: Green Lantern on 05/19/08 at 10:37 pm

When you encounter someone you know, friend, co-worker, etc. and utter some greeting like "'sup money!" do you shake hands or bump fists.  Everyone I know these days bumps fists and I'm still trying to get used to it.  I extend my hand, they extend their fist and I'll spend a split-second figuring out what's going on.  Older people (45+), I've noticed, shake hands.  30 and 20s usually bump...

Some are basic 'front' bumps and some are 'over-under-then front' bumps.  My aim is not that good (my eyesight isn't that great) and sometimes we just graze pinky knuckles.  Sometimes the over-under-front bumps confuse me... 

A good, firm, 2-pump handshake (webbing-to-webbing) = Good man.  Has your back...

When did the fist bumping thing begin.  Personally, I prefer handshakes.  Which do you do..?

I've never heard of the concept of 'bumping fists'  ... till reading your post ! Peculiar. However .... maybe it's more hygienic (?) ... / you're less likely to pick up germs from someone else ?

When it comes to handshakes, I reckon I offer a pretty firm, but friendly one. Some jerks ... have the idea that they should try to crush your hands to a pulp ! On the other 'hand' ..... I  don't like a handshake like a limp fish .... that comes across as SO insincere / like they're doing you a favor (?).

Probably the worst ...is where some jerk will intercept the first half of your hand (fingers only) ... and squeeze away .... where you have NO option to squeeze back !    >:(  'Power games' ... for some (?)    ::)

Written By: Brian06 on 05/19/08 at 10:59 pm

Wow I've never really heard of that. I'm only in my 20s and I've never actually experienced this "bump" thing, maybe I haven't run into the right people yet lol.

Written By: gibbo on 05/19/08 at 11:43 pm

Yes erin...it's generally recommended that you use these exact words when meeting a new guy....." Would you like to bump me"?  :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/20/08 at 12:18 am

Yes erin...it's generally recommended that you use these exact words when meeting a new guy....." Would you like to bump me"?   :D

ooooh...frisky! ;)

Written By: Gis on 05/20/08 at 1:13 am

Ok so to bring the British stiff upper lip thing into this you only shake hands when introduced to someone new or when you meet someone for the first time in ages. The majority of Brits wouldn't dream of doing something so unrestrained as bump hands!  ;D

Seriously I've never seen it either, but as you say maybe it's a bloke thing, as a woman of a certain age I tend to kiss cheeks but only if the other person is comfortable with it.

To add to the handshake thing ALWAYS beware of the person who grips your hand and won't give it back!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/20/08 at 1:38 am

When did the fist bumping thing begin.   Personally, I prefer handshakes.  Which do you do..?
I was at the ballpark this evening and we did it all, except there was no butt slapping tonight. we did the high 5, the shake with a shoulder hug which is the going thing, we tend to touch our fist against one another's the most. sometimes hroizontal, and sometime vertical. I hate when some guy goes to shake your hand and tries to grab your fingers. and then there's the shake where you lock thumbs, twist your hands and then grab the other guys 4 fingers with yours, sort of a seal of friendship thing, and then sometimes you finsih that off with a tap from your free hand to the back of the other guys hand.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/20/08 at 1:41 am

Because I have nothing better to do, I searched on youtube for an answer...

Viola. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzqadSBE1kM

At mark 58 seconds, they explain the knuckle thing.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/20/08 at 1:49 am

;D that was cool, and the handshakes I saw used most around here were the gamer and Love

Written By: Green Lantern on 05/20/08 at 1:54 am

I hate when some guy goes to shake your hand and tries to grab your fingers. 

So, we're agreed on THAT one ! Yeah if I knew what was coming    >:(  ...

http://images.covers.com/CoversEurope/emoticons/an_fight.gif

^

'Handshake' .... becomes 'glove shake'  (?)

:D

;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/20/08 at 1:56 am

So, we're agreed on THAT one ! Yeah if I knew what was coming    >:(  ...

http://images.covers.com/CoversEurope/emoticons/an_fight.gif

^

'Handshake' .... becomes 'glove shake'  (?)

:D

;D
totally agreed, and even worse to me is the guy with sweaty palms....  8-P

Written By: Howard on 05/20/08 at 6:52 am

I prefer the knuckle bumping handshake.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/20/08 at 10:18 am

I never heard it called "bumping" but I can't help but think about the show "Ghost Hunters"-after a case, Jason & Grant will do this and say, "Good job" or "Job well done" as a way of congratulating themselves.

As for me, if I don't know the person, I shake hands (and I like to think that my handshake is firm but not a death grip). But if it is someone who I know, I usually give them a hug.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/08 at 10:46 am

I once had a handshake from an ex-manager of mine and I noticed something odd about it. Then years on in life I realised that it was a handshake of a Freemason.

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/20/08 at 12:46 pm

I once had a handshake from an ex-manager of mine and I noticed something odd about it. Then years on in life I realised that it was a handshake of a Freemason.

What's the distinction?

Anyway, the bump thing is pretty popular here in NY, but only among people younger than around 40.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/08 at 12:48 pm

What's the distinction?

Anyway, the bump thing is pretty popular here in NY, but only among people younger than around 40.
Being a part of the masonic ritual and understanding their secrecy, I do not know if I am allowed to tell he online.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/20/08 at 7:19 pm

Being a part of the masonic ritual and understanding their secrecy, I do not know if I am allowed to tell he online.

It's already online.  There is various youtube videos (conspiracy-type) about the handshake and other gestures.  ;D

Written By: Davester on 05/20/08 at 8:51 pm

That's the one.  The whole clip is funny.  Karma atcha...

Did he say Vietnam..?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/20/08 at 9:11 pm

That's the one.  The whole clip is funny.  Karma atcha...

Did he say Vietnam..?

Yup

I hadn't heard that before.

Written By: Davester on 05/20/08 at 9:29 pm

Ok so to bring the British stiff upper lip thing into this you only shake hands when introduced to someone new or when you meet someone for the first time in ages. The majority of Brits wouldn't dream of doing something so unrestrained as bump hands!  ;D

Seriously I've never seen it either, but as you say maybe it's a bloke thing, as a woman of a certain age I tend to kiss cheeks but only if the other person is comfortable with it.

To add to the handshake thing ALWAYS beware of the person who grips your hand and won't give it back!

Yeah a handshake used to be, for me, greeting an old friend/acquaintance or as a formality.  We shake hands alot more, now.  Usually I'll shake with most of my friends and close acquaintances at our first encounter of the day.  A cameraderie thing, I guess, "I'm okay, you're okay..."  I never refuse an outstretched hand...

I'm way too shy to greet a woman with a peck on the cheek.  I know she'd recoil.  A personal space violation thing...

Lately, as a counter to all the knuckle bumping, I've been slapping five with some people.  I really should stop that...

Written By: Green Lantern on 05/20/08 at 11:22 pm

I never refuse an outstretched hand...

Let's see.

http://www.humeseeds.com/bean_fva.jpg
Nice !

http://www.rosehart.com/Products/Limoges/Wine/chianti.jpg

VERY nice !

BUT ..... I can't help feeling there's  'SOMETHING' missing !      :-\\

I never refuse an outstretched hand...

AHA !   ::)

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/3442/lecterhandshake2ts8.jpg
Yes, Davester ... having an old friend over for dinner .... you're MORE than welcome ... to join us !    :)

Written By: Davester on 05/21/08 at 1:11 am

Let's see.

http://www.humeseeds.com/bean_fva.jpg
Nice !

http://www.rosehart.com/Products/Limoges/Wine/chianti.jpg

VERY nice !

BUT ..... I can't help feeling there's  'SOMETHING' missing !       :-\\

AHA !   ::)

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/3442/lecterhandshake2ts8.jpg
Yes, Davester ... having an old friend over for dinner .... you're MORE than welcome ... to join us !    :)

You're a madman, Mr. Mister..!

Written By: Green Lantern on 05/21/08 at 1:29 am

You're a madman, Mr. Mister..!

I'll take that as a compliment, Davester ! 

:P

;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/21/08 at 2:50 am

this one is a personal favorite of mine, one that me and my old best friend Buster used to have down pat.
the "Top Gun"; this method begins like a regular high five, however upon meeting up top, both high-fivers continue to swing their arms downwards until they meet again in a "low five". we got it from the movie Top Gun

we always just called it "Top Gun"  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAopLTK4qVs

Written By: Howard on 05/21/08 at 6:29 am

The worst handshake would have to be the limp wet noodle one.

Check for new replies or respond here...