inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Products that you think are total CRAP

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/21/08 at 1:28 pm

Have you ever had repeated bad experiences with a certain brand of product (could be anything...clothing, appliances, etc.) due to either inherent bad design or poor quality, enough to it where infuriated you to the point where you swore you'd never buy a product from that manufacturer again?

I have two examples that come to mind:

Bic disposable razors. Those things totally shredded my face when I tried to shave with them. Seems like every other day after I got done shaving I'd end up leaving the house with at least 2 or 3 wads of toilet paper stuck to my face. (I still buy Bic lighters though, they seem to be the best disposable lighters out there.) I switched to Gillette a few years back and never have had any trouble with them.

Timex watches. Back in the 80's, Timex commericals used to say that their watches "took a licking and kept on ticking."  That's a bald-faced lie. Timex watches are junk. I used to buy them mainly as "work watches," but they'd usually last maybe a year at most and either the band would break or they'd fall apart. After going through 4 or 5 of them I finally got fed up about 5 or 6 years ago and bought a Casio G-Shock which, although it's a little beat up now, has held up very well and I still wear it to work to this day (with the original battery no less).

Subject: Re: Products that you think are total CRAP

Written By: whistledog on 05/21/08 at 6:28 pm

I agree on Timex Watches. 

Durabrand portable CD players that you can get at wal-mart.  They play mp3 CDs which is good, but most times, a CD will skip, or not read properly.  Total garbage.  I'll stick with the well-known brand names

http://www.lenoxx.com/CD%20Personals/IMAGES/cd968set.jpg

Written By: woops on 05/21/08 at 6:50 pm

"That's Easy" button  ::)

Written By: Dagwood on 05/21/08 at 7:17 pm

Durabrand anything sucks.  I bought Durabrand computer speakers and they lasted a month.  When I bought a portable DVD player, I asked the cashier about what he thought was the best.  He told me never to buy Durabrand.  They get more complaints on that brand than the others.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/21/08 at 10:46 pm

I think a lot of Radio Shack merchandise is crap. I have heard from others that it is junk and it breaks and doesn't last long.

Written By: Gis on 05/22/08 at 6:52 am

Maybelline mascara! it's always shouted about as being this amazing cult product and it's sheeshe.

Written By: whistledog on 05/22/08 at 7:21 am

Durabrand anything sucks.  I bought Durabrand computer speakers and they lasted a month.  When I bought a portable DVD player, I asked the cashier about what he thought was the best.  He told me never to buy Durabrand.  They get more complaints on that brand than the others.

I had a feeling all Durabrand products were garbage.  They are always quite cheap in stores, and generally the cheaper the price, the crappier the product

Written By: wsmith4 on 05/22/08 at 10:40 am

Yep, in most cases the old saying holds true that "you get what you paid for".

You want crap, walk into any Big Lots! store and take a look around... 1000's of square feet of the most worthless crap on Earth.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/22/08 at 11:52 am

Yep, in most cases the old saying holds true that "you get what you paid for".

You want crap, walk into any Big Lots! store and take a look around... 1000's of square feet of the most worthless crap on Earth.

For once I will have to agree to disagree with ya Bill. I have found great deals on a lot of name brand items there (paying TONS less than the regular retail price). Maybe it depends on the area (maybe not all stores are the same, or as nice)...but our store has some great deals.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/22/08 at 12:00 pm

The only thing I won't buy on the cheap end are batteries.  I find they don't work as well as name brand.

Product that is crap - speedo brand flip-flops.  They must have been designed by sadist. 8-P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/22/08 at 12:53 pm

A lot of crap products have the words "Made in China" on it.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 05/22/08 at 2:46 pm

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTefhwzTVIIcEAHGajzbkF/SIG=13f2oamc2/EXP=1211571952/**http%3A//img.epinions.com/images/opti/bd/e6/Kaboom_Shower_Tub_and_Tile_Cleaner-resized200.jpg

Written By: whistledog on 05/22/08 at 2:54 pm

The only thing I won't buy on the cheap end are batteries.  I find they don't work as well as name brand.

Product that is crap - speedo brand flip-flops.  They must have been designed by sadist. 8-P

In some cases though, the cheap batteries work great.  At a liquidation store here, they sell discontinued Radio Shack batteries at 99c for a pack of two.  7 hours of non-stop playing my CD player at work, 2 batteries will last me over 2 weeks :o

Written By: ninny on 05/22/08 at 3:07 pm

Some people swear by the store but I think most things at Aldi's are crap.

Written By: Howard on 05/22/08 at 3:07 pm

Hercules Hook.

Written By: whistledog on 05/22/08 at 4:49 pm

Hercules Hook.

But Billy Mays swears by them ;D

Written By: Step-chan on 05/22/08 at 4:53 pm

Cat

That is definetly true.

Written By: Step-chan on 05/22/08 at 4:55 pm

That depends on which items in general you're talking about.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/22/08 at 6:05 pm

packing tape dispensers and that clear tape you use to seal boxes. when the tape comes off of the cutting edge and sticks to the roll, I have a heck of a time finding the end

Written By: Bobby on 05/22/08 at 8:02 pm

Those electronic JML pest shields you plug into a socket that target cockroaches, mice and rats   - needless to say they don't work.

Written By: Howard on 05/23/08 at 6:28 am

But Billy Mays swears by them ;D

He screams when he talks.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/23/08 at 1:35 pm

All my mechanic friends tell me never to use Pennzoil when I get my oil changed. They say it gums up the engine.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/23/08 at 1:50 pm

All my mechanic friends tell me never to use Pennzoil when I get my oil changed. They say it gums up the engine.

What about the Chevrolet's small-block V8?  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/23/08 at 2:33 pm

What about the Chevrolet's small-block V8?  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Actually I drive a Ford.

And I always use Valvoline.  ;)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/23/08 at 10:57 pm

In some cases though, the cheap batteries work great.  At a liquidation store here, they sell discontinued Radio Shack batteries at 99c for a pack of two.  7 hours of non-stop playing my CD player at work, 2 batteries will last me over 2 weeks :o

Radio Shack always has good stuff.  I was talking Dollar General generic batteries.

Written By: Jessica on 05/24/08 at 12:28 am

Maybelline mascara! it's always shouted about as being this amazing cult product and it's sheeshe.

L'Oreal's Telescopic mascara is way awesome. It's expensive as hell, but man oh man, does it ever work.

For once I will have to agree to disagree with ya Bill. I have found great deals on a lot of name brand items there (paying TONS less than the regular retail price). Maybe it depends on the area (maybe not all stores are the same, or as nice)...but our store has some great deals.

This is true. I went to a Big Lots in Indiana and it was full of junk and just downright disgusting. Then when we started shopping in Illinois, I decided to be adventurous and go into the Big Lots in Bedford Park. That store is well kept, and I found a ton of name brand cereal for like $1 a box. I also found different spices and things for really cheap.

Amen.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/24/08 at 12:39 am

Cat

So true. Ditto Taiwan.

Ant

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/24/08 at 2:46 am

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c235/badfingermike/officespaceTom.jpg    I had a great idea once...

Tom Smykowski:  It was a "Jump to Conclusions" mat. You see, it would be this mat that you would put on the floor... and would have different CONCLUSIONS written on it that you could JUMP TO.
Michael Bolton: That's the worst idea I've ever heard in my life, Tom.
Samir: Yes, this is horrible, this idea.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c235/badfingermike/jumptoconclusionsmat.jpg

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/24/08 at 3:17 am

Cat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Swzbt76wBM

Written By: Howard on 05/24/08 at 6:28 am

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c235/badfingermike/officespaceTom.jpg    I had a great idea once...

Tom Smykowski:  It was a "Jump to Conclusions" mat. You see, it would be this mat that you would put on the floor... and would have different CONCLUSIONS written on it that you could JUMP TO.

So,why doesn't this work? ???

Written By: Red Ant on 05/24/08 at 12:27 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Swzbt76wBM

They should put Chinese spammers in those cars instead of expensive crash test dummies.

Lots of good lists, everyone.

Ant

Written By: Jessica on 05/24/08 at 12:47 pm

I love that movie. Reminds me of the office I used to work in. And yes, I did want to kill the fax machine. ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/25/08 at 1:50 am

I love that movie. Reminds me of the office I used to work in. And yes, I did want to kill the fax machine. ;D

One of the Bobs: "Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately."

Peter: "I wouldn't say I've been...missing it, Bob."

My favorite line from the whole movie.  ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/25/08 at 4:00 am

it's a great movie, and the characters are like so many real people that many of us work with

One of the Bobs: "Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately."

Peter: "I wouldn't say I've been...missing it, Bob."

My favorite line from the whole movie.  ;D
that's a very funny line during Peter's the interview with the Bob's  ;D 

so I'm thinking tomorrow night, I may have to watch Office Space

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/25/08 at 5:12 am

We have this coffee machine at work that's always screwing us out of money or giving us the wrong stuff, and we always talk about how we wish we could take it outside and beat the hell out of it with baseball bats.  >:( ;D

Written By: Howard on 05/25/08 at 6:34 am

Flowbee.

Check for new replies or respond here...