inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Masculine or Feminine?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/25/08 at 11:25 pm

So...here's a question? Do you consider yourself to be more masculine or feminine? Are you a girly girl? A manly man? or the total opposite?

I never realized how masculine I was until recently. I mean...I've never been a girly girl. I don't really like dressing up (I only do it when I absolutely have to..like holidays or weddings, or funerals..that's about it). I feel more comfortable in comfy clothes....not like I dress like a guy ( I don't)...but still.  I DO however, love the look of guy's clothes (just not on me). Sometimes I wish I could be a guy (at least for a little bit)...to be able to wear their clothes/fashions.

I have been noticing little things though. I'd rather hang around guys (I feel more comfortable around them), I could consider myself to be somewhat of a "tomboy"...but not to the point where I am dressing like a guy or SO into sports and stuff.

I am not very "lady-like" at all. I talk like a drunken sailor when I get mad, sometimes...and I have noticed lately that I even sit like a guy (I actually found myself taking a chair, turning it backwards and sitting/straddling on it). :o

I don't cross my legs like a lady....it's just weird and uncomfortable.

I guess I'm kinda happy that I am raising Vaughn instead of a girl..because I feel much more comfortable having burping contests with him..than I would playing dress-up with a girl. LOL.  Don't get me wrong though..I love girl's toys (Barbies, dolls, etc).

It's funny though because even though I act like a guy sometimes..I've always been attracted to guys who act like guys. You would think that it might be the opposite, but it has never been.

Now, don't get the wrong impression folks..I'm not a butch or anything....but I just have been noticing my masculine characteristics lately.

So, what about you?

Subject: Re: Masculine or Feminine?

Written By: Tam on 05/25/08 at 11:33 pm

I definitely lean more towards masculine!

A tomboy to the core, I play all kinds of sports even if I suck at them!

I prefer to wear comfy clothes too as opposed to feminine ones! I hate PINK!! Love browns and tans and blues and blacks and sometimes a little bit of red! Prefer mens shoes over womens - in fact all my Jordan's but one pair are men's. I have men's clothes, polos and shorts! I prefer "boy shorts" for undies, rather than cutie panties! 8-P

I drink with the boys and keep up with them, my mouth is as vulgar as one can get, (thus why Andrea calls me a trucker) I prefer hanging out with the guys than the girls, have gone to strip clubs with the guys, and check out women with the guys... pointing out the ones that are hot, or have nice butts or boobs etc...

Yeppers - I am definitely more masculine - but LOVE LOVE LOVE being a woman who can truly hang out with the guys - and love my husband to death! Wouldn't trade any of it EVER!!!

;D 8)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/26/08 at 12:18 am

I definitely lean more towards masculine!

A tomboy to the core, I play all kinds of sports even if I suck at them!

I prefer to wear comfy clothes too as opposed to feminine ones! I hate PINK!! Love browns and tans and blues and blacks and sometimes a little bit of red! Prefer mens shoes over womens - in fact all my Jordan's but one pair are men's. I have men's clothes, polos and shorts! I prefer "boy shorts" for undies, rather than cutie panties! 8-P

I drink with the boys and keep up with them, my mouth is as vulgar as one can get, (thus why Andrea calls me a trucker) I prefer hanging out with the guys than the girls, have gone to strip clubs with the guys, and check out women with the guys... pointing out the ones that are hot, or have nice butts or boobs etc...

Yeppers - I am definitely more masculine - but LOVE LOVE LOVE being a woman who can truly hang out with the guys - and love my husband to death! Wouldn't trade any of it EVER!!!

;D 8)

I'm kind of like that too.  Ever notice that men have no problem saying what's on their mind to you.  However most women are kind of stand offish.  I know I'm a woman, but it's so easy and comfortable being "one of the guys".

Written By: Tam on 05/26/08 at 12:50 am

I'm kind of like that too.  Ever notice that men have no problem saying what's on their mind to you.  However most women are kind of stand offish.  I know I'm a woman, but it's so easy and comfortable being "one of the guys".

Definitely!! My one best friend will actually call me to bitch about his girlfriend and the other ones - they just spill as if I were one of them!

What I like the most is the honesty that I actually get from them. If I say "does this look ok?" they will tell me the truth - no questions asked!! ;)

Written By: Gis on 05/26/08 at 12:56 am

Hmm, I'd say I'm right down the middle!  I prefer jeans to a skirt but I don't mind dressing up and *LOVE* clothes. I HATE pink with a passion but there are other girlie things I like. I'm quite practical and hands on but I do have pathetic helpless moments.  ;D

When I grew up there weren't any girls my age so I ran round after my brother and his mates, so on the one hand whilst I don't curse like a trooper, I can if I need too and I'm very comfortable in male company (once I get over initial shyness.) As I've got older I have gained so brilliant female friends and feel right at home having a girlie night in or out too and will quite happily have a night of dancing round my handbag.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 05/26/08 at 5:41 am

I'm a manly girl or a girly man. ;D

Written By: Step-chan on 05/26/08 at 12:55 pm

I'm somewhere inbetween... have some masculine traits and some feminine.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/26/08 at 1:08 pm

I am definitely more feminine. I don't consider myself a girly girl and never really had been. When I was in school, I used do always wear blue jeans and tee shirt or a sweater. But usually about once a year I would wear a dress and it would shock the s**t out of people. The funny thing, I still do that. Blue Jeans most of the time but once a year, I dress up-make-up and all which I don't normally wear. Yeah, I have long fingernails but I can't remember the last time I wore nail polish. (I think it may have been at my wedding.) Most of the time, my nails are very uneven and are in need of filing. But, I am not afraid to get my hands dirty if need be. I do also love long hair.

I am woman hear me roar: Meow, d@mnit.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Howard on 05/26/08 at 4:41 pm

I am all man,the last time I checked down there. ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/26/08 at 5:08 pm

I am all man,the last time I checked down there. ;D

There is more to being a man than just that.

Cat

Written By: ninny on 05/26/08 at 5:17 pm

So true,I get along better with guys more than women.Even with my in-laws I would rather sit and watch sports,than go and sit and talk with all the ladies,maybe because I was a tomboy growing up,or I'm not interested in what they are talking about.
Heck the only time I dress up is if someone dies or gets married,and my sons graduation,but that was summer so I wore sandals instead of heels.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/26/08 at 5:38 pm

I'm somewhere inbetween... have some masculine traits and some feminine.

Carlos wants me to let everyone know that he reveals in his feminine side. My mother once told me that if a man has to worry about his masculinity than he has something to worry about.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/26/08 at 10:25 pm

Have any of you girls ever been accused/thought of as a lesbian...just because you happen to be more masculine?

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/26/08 at 10:34 pm

I'm a Jewish, liberal masculine feminist, just like Jerry Springer. ;D

Seriously though, despite that I'm a straight guy I never felt like "typically manly" in almost any of the traditional ways. I'm not macho and tough (and I'd rather look cute friendly and nonthreatening than like a badass who could win a fight), I enjoy stuff like shopping, and I relate to women really well in the sense of "being friends" and conversationaizing. I like the arts and geeky stuff more than competing, sports or monster truck shows.

Even though I've always liked girls and had crushes pretty far back in my memory, it was more in the sense of wanting to have them as a girlfriend and not as some hornball who's only concerned with their looks. I also resent the way alot of men act, especially since it's considered standard to be that way. Just little simple things like calling women "bitches" or complaining about them in a basic sense.

Now for the record, I get along with lots of guys and I think they're cool to have as buddies, but even as a kid I never quite felt like "one of them". For instance when my mom and her friends would go to the mall or something, to me that was more fun than being around my dad and his buddies playing cards (although I do like that too, and I actually enjoy bowling and golf as sports!).

Written By: Step-chan on 05/26/08 at 10:37 pm

Carlos wants me to let everyone know that he reveals in his feminine side. My mother once told me that if a man has to worry about his masculinity than he has something to worry about.

Cat

I'm not worried. ;)

I just accept both areas.

Written By: coqueta83 on 05/26/08 at 11:13 pm

I like to think of myself as a little of both. I like to dress nicely, but also love to wear an old t-shirt and jeans.

Written By: audkal on 05/26/08 at 11:56 pm

Have any of you girls ever been accused/thought of as a lesbian...just because you happen to be more masculine?

YES--but it was a combination of having a short haircut and being a bit more masculine in general anyway.

I've always been a tomboy, probably because I grew up with 3 brothers and no sisters.  They always welcomed me, but in their own ways (catching frogs/bugs/turtles, fishing, hunting, arm wrestling, etc.)  I always cried when my mom would make me wear a dress.  I very rarely ever played with dolls, I preferred horse figurines and a toy barn to a Barbie and a doll house.

I think I seem to get along better with guys too!  I wear make-up but don't dress overly feminine.  I'll wear pink at times, but only if the particular shirt/sweater suits me well.  I tend to wear a lot of black though (black jeans, almost always wear black Converse sneakers).

Written By: Howard on 05/27/08 at 7:09 am

There is more to being a man than just that.

Cat

Oh Yeah,Show Me!  ;D ;)

Written By: KKay on 05/27/08 at 7:20 am

i am a t-shirt and jeans girl, but the details make it more feminine...and, face it, sometimes you can't escape your figure- which automatically makes things look feminine.  i'm a little bit of a tomboy (apparent at band practice) but I think the girly girl comes through.  i'm not a frills, in pink and perfume kinda girl, but i'm definately a girl.

Written By: Howard on 05/27/08 at 7:21 am

i am a t-shirt and jeans girl, but the details make it more feminine...and, face it, sometimes you can't escape your figure- which automatically makes things look feminine.  i'm a little bit of a tomboy (apparent at band practice) but I think the girly girl comes through.  i'm not a frills, in pink and perfume kinda girl, but i'm definately a girl.

Oh Yeah,prove it.  ;D ;)

Written By: KKay on 05/27/08 at 7:28 am

Oh Yeah,prove it.  ;D ;)

it's too early in the morning to be so randy, howard! ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Tam on 05/27/08 at 7:59 pm

I have many times.
I think the reason is because a lot of people still go by the stereotype.
I wear windpants and hoodies, ball caps and sandals. Apparently that screams "Look at me!!!! I am GAY!!!!"
Not to mention that apparently if you wear a ring on your thumb, you are claiming you gayness without having to say a word. ::) ??? And yes, I do wear a thumb ring.....

Written By: KKay on 05/27/08 at 8:47 pm

YES--but it was a combination of having a short haircut and being a bit more masculine in general anyway.

I always wear my hair really really really short.  but i think if you like how you are in what youre' wearing...then you're at your best!

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/27/08 at 10:14 pm

Oh Yeah,prove it.  ;D ;)

Well...to put it simply, it's how you act and who you feel you fit in with. Not just what you literally are.

Really though, in all honesty I think it's cool that the lines are kinda blurred on both sides. In the sense that women are more casual and like "guy stuff", and on the other hand, guys like me who are kinda in touch with their feminine side or get along with girls really well. When stuff like that happens, it's like you get the sense people aren't afraid to be who they really feel inside, and surface stuff like gender itself isn't as much of an issue or a stereotype.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/27/08 at 11:10 pm

I have many times.
I think the reason is because a lot of people still go by the stereotype.
I wear windpants and hoodies, ball caps and sandals. Apparently that screams "Look at me!!!! I am GAY!!!!"
Not to mention that apparently if you wear a ring on your thumb, you are claiming you gayness without having to say a word. ::) ??? And yes, I do wear a thumb ring.....

oh, I totally wear one too...have for years! w00t...go us! ;D

Written By: Tam on 05/27/08 at 11:18 pm

oh, I totally wear one too...have for years! w00t...go us! ;D

If I could I would give you more karma ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/27/08 at 11:21 pm

If I could I would give you more karma ;)

here's one for you, girl! :)

Written By: Midas on 05/27/08 at 11:26 pm

I'm a manly girl or a girly man. ;D

http://boozeandbooks.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/hans_franz.jpg

I'm likely a mixture of both, if we're talking about the stereotypical definitions of. 

Written By: Tam on 05/27/08 at 11:32 pm

http://boozeandbooks.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/hans_franz.jpg

I'm likely a mixture of both, if we're talking about the stereotypical definitions of. 

You know Midas - I can see that. ;)

From some of the conversations we have had, I could definitely see myself having you as a best friend. 8)

Written By: audkal on 05/27/08 at 11:56 pm

I always wear my hair really really really short.  but i think if you like how you are in what youre' wearing...then you're at your best!

Totally agree!  I still rarely wear skirts/dresses but I do feel more confident when I wear make-up.  I just figured short hair didn't suit me well anyway, plus I'm growing it out to donate it.

Oh gosh, I didn't know that, lol, but I wear a thumb ring all the time too!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 05/28/08 at 7:16 am

It's only 8am.

Written By: Midas on 05/28/08 at 7:30 pm

You know Midas - I can see that. ;)

From some of the conversations we have had, I could definitely see myself having you as a best friend. 8)

Thanks Tam.  That's the nicest thing anyone's said to me today. :)  I owe you karamel - I have to wait 24 hours or something. 

It's only 8am.

Karamel!  :D ;D

Written By: Bobby on 05/28/08 at 8:00 pm

Another interesting question from Erin . . .  :)

I am definitely masculine but show a sensitive side, I doubt sensitivity has to equate to being femine though.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/28/08 at 9:45 pm

Another interesting question from Erin . . .  :)

I am definitely masculine but show a sensitive side, I doubt sensitivity has to equate to being femine though.

aww..thanks Rob. :)

Written By: KKay on 05/29/08 at 8:01 am

I have to wear formal biz gear for work....skirt, jacket, heels.  i definately feel the ways you dress impacts the way you act.

when i'm off i guess i'm kinda fem/masc in that i'll do jeans and t shirt, but i always have low rise bell bottoms.  always.  maybe some straightleg, but they are girls' pants.
tops...t shirts, but i never wear one that doesnt' fit right. none that are too big. i like when things fit. so i guess it's a feminiine look.

Written By: Gis on 05/29/08 at 10:39 am

No?? That's bizarre!

I wear a thumb ring quite often too, infact i wear LOADS of rings so waht does that mean??  ;D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/29/08 at 3:12 pm

Hmm, I'd say I'm right down the middle!  I prefer jeans to a skirt but I don't mind dressing up and *LOVE* clothes. I HATE pink with a passion but there are other girlie things I like. I'm quite practical and hands on but I do have pathetic helpless moments.  ;D

When I grew up there weren't any girls my age so I ran round after my brother and his mates, so on the one hand whilst I don't curse like a trooper, I can if I need too and I'm very comfortable in male company (once I get over initial shyness.) As I've got older I have gained so brilliant female friends and feel right at home having a girlie night in or out too and will quite happily have a night of dancing round my handbag.  ;D

I think I'm kind of in the middle as well...but I'd say that I probably lean more towards the 'feminine' side insofaras I love pink clothes and makeup and nice strappy sandals...(though I mostly wear shorts and knit tops).

Like you, though, I'm much more comfortable in male company.  I grew up with two older brothers and used to love hanging around them and and checking out their friends whom they'd bring over to the house.  ;)  I never curse out loud (only under my breath if I've dropped something on my foot, for instance)...and the idea of belching or passing gas around others (as a lot of guys do) totally disgusts me.  :P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/29/08 at 4:42 pm

When I was about 15-16, I had this (male) friend who said to me, "I think of you as a boy. I mean, I know you are a girl but I think of you as a boy". I was like, "Um..thanks a lot.  :-\\ "

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/29/08 at 7:36 pm

Ha... Today Vaughn asked me if I could say the alphabet and spell his name while burping...of course, I obliged. ;) ;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/30/08 at 12:28 am

I'm a girly girl with a sailor's mouth.

Check for new replies or respond here...