inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I could teach others about....

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/28/08 at 8:37 am

Let's suppose that someone told you that they wanted you to teach a class to others specifically on a topic that you were passionate about. I'm not talking about something you obtained a degree in...basically I am speaking of perhaps a hobby of yours...something that you have loved to learn about and would be totally able to share/teach with/to others.

I would be able to teach others about....

Buying and Selling on Ebay
The Titanic
Roadside Attractions and Rt. 66
Creating mosaic themes for Myspace
Urban Exploration
Raising a boy (baby--to small child, so far)
Creating unique jewelry
The art of thrift/antique shopping

I will think of more later. :)

Subject: Re: I could teach others about....

Written By: adagio on 05/28/08 at 10:08 am

So are you going to teach the art of antique shopping?  That's one thing I adore.  I have an almost  houseful of them right now.  I lucked out, hower, They were passed on by my ancestors, so I didn't have to buy these.

Written By: wildcard on 05/28/08 at 10:33 am

Buying and Selling on Ebay

I'll take this class

I can offer

bowling
juggling
drawing
magic

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/28/08 at 10:41 am

So are you going to teach the art of antique shopping?  That's one thing I adore.  I have an almost  houseful of them right now.  I lucked out, hower, They were passed on by my ancestors, so I didn't have to buy these.

I would love to! I've always wanted to become so knowledgable....like those folks on "Antique Roadshow"...how cool would that be?

I'll take this class

I can offer

bowling
juggling
drawing
magic

wow...that would be neato to juggle? How long have you been doing it?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/28/08 at 12:15 pm

Coins.

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/28/08 at 1:53 pm

I think I could teach anyone here how to drive a semi-truck.

Written By: wildcard on 05/28/08 at 1:57 pm

wow...that would be neato to juggle? How long have you been doing it?

I lost count.  I'd have to say  it took me about a year to get real good control throwing balls.  Some people can just do it.  I can only do three balls.  Anyone who can drop something can juggle scarves.  I have some devil sticks but don't do as well with those.  Never was able to do pins but I know how to throw and catch them sometimes. Rings are just like balls except you'd throw and catch them differently.  

Written By: karen on 05/28/08 at 2:14 pm

orienteering
Scouting in the UK
how to make Welsh cakes
camp fire songs
how to make a marshmallow holder toasting fork
how to make a paper angel for the top of your christmas tree

Written By: adagio on 05/28/08 at 2:26 pm

I would love to! I've always wanted to become so knowledgable....like those folks on "Antique Roadshow"...how cool would that be?

I wonder how long it takes them to study to know all that stuff by sight?

Written By: Howard on 05/28/08 at 3:36 pm

cart collecting.  ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/28/08 at 9:39 pm

I wonder how long it takes them to study to know all that stuff by sight?

I've often wondered that myself. I wonder if they know ahead of time what will be on the show...so that they have time to study a bit?

Written By: adagio on 05/28/08 at 11:35 pm

Must be that.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/29/08 at 12:34 am

Personal Finance.

The cure for poverty isn't money, it's education. Unfortunately, it's possible to completely screw yourself up long before age 18, never mind 21 or 25. If they only taught personal finance in grade school (let alone high school), kids'd have a much better chance of not making those kinds of mistakes.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/29/08 at 12:58 am

I could do Goodwill shopping too :) we could do it together. :) I could just do stuff on saving money and all in general (I'm Jewish so I'm always looking for bargains, lol).

Let's see, what else off my head:

Mainstream music
General human behavior and the ability to understand people
Feeling like an outsider and trying to turn it around and be positive (I'm still learning that myself though, to be honest)
Pop culture history, especially anything about the 1980s and '90s
Technology and computers, to a certain extent
Being able to relate to the opposite sex (in my case, cute girls lol)

I'm sure I could think of more.

Written By: Gis on 05/29/08 at 1:18 am

I've often wondered that myself. I wonder if they know ahead of time what will be on the show...so that they have time to study a bit?
No they have no idea what will turn up on the day. When people arrive at the show they have to check in and show what they have brought. The peopl on the desk who do this are also Antique experts and so they are the ones who first spot the potential of items for the show.
The only things they know about before hand are the large furniture items which the show arranges to view at the house and if they decide it is worth showing they will transport it in.   

All the experts on the show work 9-5 in auction houses and have for most of their working life so they do indeed have that much knowlege on their subject.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/29/08 at 8:16 am

No they have no idea what will turn up on the day. When people arrive at the show they have to check in and show what they have brought. The peopl on the desk who do this are also Antique experts and so they are the ones who first spot the potential of items for the show.
The only things they know about before hand are the large furniture items which the show arranges to view at the house and if they decide it is worth showing they will transport it in.   

All the experts on the show work 9-5 in auction houses and have for most of their working life so they do indeed have that much knowlege on their subject.

that would be so cool! 8)

Written By: wildcard on 05/29/08 at 10:32 am

Let's see, what else off my head:

General human behavior and the ability to understand people
Feeling like an outsider and trying to turn it around and be positive (I'm still learning that myself though, to be honest)

Technology and computers, to a certain extent

Mentioned a couple I could probably ad to my list.

I know A little more then nothing about computers so I might want to take the class in that.

Written By: Howard on 05/29/08 at 3:08 pm

How to succeed on the job. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/31/08 at 7:38 am

I think I can teach IT Skills to others, but I do full back on the technical words.

Check for new replies or respond here...