inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: GM hasn't a Clue!

Written By: Shacks Train on 05/30/08 at 2:47 am

Seems like trouble for the automaker as It can't stem the slide & like others US auto  makers has begun a slip down the slope perhaps to The END!
With the introduction of foreign car manufactors offering "Better" everything & rising prices who can blame the consumer for wanting a better deal!..Cheap as they are KIa offers a starter car for under 10k where the big 3 start way beyond that!Too bad they never thought of economy as fuel prices rise!
So Does the Sun!

Heres a suggestion for a future model for the newly unemployed GM executive!

Subject: Re: GM hasn't a Clue!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/30/08 at 3:00 am

Seems like trouble for the automaker as It can't stem the slide & like others US auto  makers has begun a slip down the slope perhaps to The END!
With the introduction of foreign car manufactors offering "Better" everything & rising prices who can blame the consumer for wanting a better deal!..Cheap as they are KIa offers a starter car for under 10k where the big 3 start way beyond that!Too bad they never thought of economy as fuel prices rise!
So Does the Sun!

Heres a suggestion for a future model for the newly unemployed GM executive!

I respectfully disagree.

Today I test drove a new Chevy Malibu and I loved it. Granted it was right around 20 grand and I probably can't afford it right now, but it's the best family car Chevy has built in decades and I think it stands up to anything Japan has to offer. Not to mention that with a Kia, you probably get what you pay for, if you know what I mean.

It was all I could do to keep from buying it outright today, but I'll probably wait a couple years and buy a used one.

As far as the domestics go, I think Chrysler is probably in the most trouble.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/30/08 at 4:12 am

I respectfully disagree.

Today I test drove a new Chevy Malibu and I loved it. Granted it was right around 20 grand and I probably can't afford it right now, but it's the best family car Chevy has built in decades and I think it stands up to anything Japan has to offer. Not to mention that with a Kia, you probably get what you pay for, if you know what I mean.

It was all I could do to keep from buying it outright today, but I'll probably wait a couple years and buy a used one.

As far as the domestics go, I think Chrysler is probably in the most trouble.

I'm with you.  Let's face it, the everyday buyer looks at color and popularity, not what is under the hood or performance. 

Written By: Red Ant on 05/30/08 at 9:44 am

I respectfully disagree.

Today I test drove a new Chevy Malibu and I loved it.

Which aspect did you like better: the uncomfortable ergonomics or the transmission that constantly shifts gears with the slightest load change?  :D

We rented a Malibu for a week earlier this year. I didn't see or drive 20k worth of car. ymmv...

I agree with ya Chrysler is in the most trouble. Their 2.99 gas deal is a joke in my book.

Ant

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/30/08 at 12:53 pm

So Does the Sun!

er, Kia is KOREAN car manufacturer... and if I remember my history of that region well enough, I'm willing to bet they despise the Japanese like the Chinese do.

the American car manufacturers deserve a big hit in their bottom line.  The US gov't bailed their worthless butts out during the eighties, and they went and blew the advantages given them again.

I can't see myself in another American built car anytime soon.

Written By: Shacks Train on 05/30/08 at 10:45 pm

Jap stuff in the 60s was poor quality & didn't last very long for any of their imported goods , But now the shoes on the other foot (Frank Zappa's line in Flakes)
"All we got heres American made...its a little bit cheesy but its nicely displayed!"
I don't understand why , when japanezee imports offered longer warrt......The Big 3 didn't match or better the offers?????
I bought a 2001 Taurus...It had a mistake from the factory with the oilpan gasket..Lucky for me I can replace that cause the labour was $600. to replace said gasket.....$34 buck for the part....No silicon on the gasket caused it to spit out!I contacted Ford & asked them to at least pay for the part...They said sorry for the F>>>up but refused to admit responcability for the part......Thats the straw that broke the camels back for me ....I'll never buy a Big 3 car ever again!........Funny out of all the cars I've owned the Chyrslers had the best reliability..All my GM stuff were a big waste of time......I bought a new 6000SUX & no end of troubles.......You'ld think with gas what it is one car MFg would get the break through with a true economy car!.Hybrids are too much money to justify the purchase !...& if you own a boat or trailer you got to buy a gas-PIG!.......cars of the 70s would do all that & were so simple to fix & maintain & now you damn near have to have a computer science degree to understand whats wrong.....Most common complaint is that "service engine soon" idiot light.So just disconnect your negative terminal off the battery wait 30 seconds & replace......Computer resets.(will not harm anything!)..Light goes off..Think of it as this you always pay to get the dealwership to fix things..For that they charge????
If buss... is slow they can make the computer bring that light on sooner (nothing wrong)
They just need the service money
They should give the cars away cause they are all angineered to make the money off parts & service!
Thats the American Way!
The Japs are the worlds best students........say no more Toyota #1 in the world today!
While the big 3 were "drivin that train ...high on coccayne"
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Shacks Train on 05/30/08 at 10:51 pm

footnote to "Chucky G I didn't say KIA was jap just mentioned them

Speaking of THEM we had a rental of a small car of theirs & I thought of it as .sure it 10k but.This is a car you would grow to hate as the years went on.The Back windows wouldn't even open & if you use "air" on those cars you might as well be driving a pick up as they eats the gas if airs on!
& Why don't auto MFGs offer a power amp & subs????
I rather get a Hummer than drive one!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/30/08 at 11:52 pm

Which aspect did you like better: the uncomfortable ergonomics or the transmission that constantly shifts gears with the slightest load change?  :D

We rented a Malibu for a week earlier this year. I didn't see or drive 20k worth of car. ymmv...

I agree with ya Chrysler is in the most trouble. Their 2.99 gas deal is a joke in my book.

Ant

Did you rent one of these?

http://www.automedia.com/NewCarBuyersGuide2007/photos/2007/Chevrolet/Malibu/Sedan/2007_Chevy_Malibu_ext_1.jpg

Or one of these?

http://www.velocityjournal.com/images/stk/2008/ch2008malibu22013082m.jpg

Because I'll agree, the last Malibu was totally lame.

The new one is awesome.

Written By: Shacks Train on 05/31/08 at 12:53 am

we had a Grand pris 2009 & wern't impressed.Smaller compared to Tarus
& thristier

Check for new replies or respond here...