inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Arrests At Tube Party Before Drinking Ban Commences

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/01/08 at 6:15 am

From BBC News Online

The alcohol ban on London's transport system has started, after a night of partying on the Underground during which 17 people were arrested.

Six stations had to be closed as thousands of people gathered on the network in advance of the ban.

Passengers are now barred from having open containers of alcohol on the Underground, London buses, Docklands Light Railway and trams.

Union leaders have described Mayor Boris Johnson's policy as "half-baked".

The drinkers gathered on tube trains and station concourses for a last drink hours before the ban came into effect on Saturday night

The party, mostly on the Circle Line, was dubbed the Last Round on the Underground.

It had previously been widely advertised on social networking and other internet sites.

The party began in a celebratory mood, with many people in good spirits and anticipating a good night.

But four Underground drivers, three other staff members and two police officers were assaulted, when trouble flared.

Several trains were also damaged and withdrawn from service.

Police said what should have been a fun event came to an "unfortunate" end.

Liverpool Street Underground station was closed for several hours to ease overcrowding.

Other tube stations closed by police were Euston, Euston Square, Aldgate, Gloucester Road and Baker Street.

Transport for London's Director of Transport Policing and Enforcement, Jeroen Weimar, said the new policy on alcohol was a reasonable one.

"We are encouraging our passengers to show a bit more respect and to be more considerate and involve other people's views and other passengers' views as they make their journeys," he said.

Subject: Re: Arrests At Tube Party Before Drinking Ban Commences

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/01/08 at 9:54 am

I was not there!

Written By: Gis on 06/02/08 at 6:12 am

My friend went to see Bruce Springsteen and got caught up in it all trying to get home, she finally got in at 3am!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/02/08 at 11:13 am

My friend went to see Bruce Springsteen and got caught up in it all trying to get home, she finally got in at 3am!
I was told today that Bruce Springsteen has been the best player at the Emirates Stadium (Arsenal Football Club's ground) all season.

Written By: Gis on 06/02/08 at 1:49 pm

I was told today that Bruce Springsteen has been the best player at the Emirates Stadium (Arsenal Football Club's ground) all season.
  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...