inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Misconceptions about stereotypes

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/09/08 at 9:48 pm

I was just thinking about how people assume things about certain people and the way that they are.  For instance....this is something I can relate to....voluptuous (overweight) people. Here are a few that just irk me...

1.) Fat people DO not like to wear stripes, polka dots, huge floral prints, etc. Whatever fashion designer had this bright idea must have been someone that was thin.

2.) Not all fat people are out of shape. I happen to exercise regularly and I don't eat like a pig....why I am still overweight is another thing. Not all of us sit in front of the TV stuffing our faces with cookies and candy. I detest that.

3.) Most of us really hate how we look to begin with. Staring, giggling, making fun...pointing out the obvious (ex. Wow...you are fat!) doesn't help. You aren't informing us of another wonder of the world. We already know that we are fat...we don't need reminded of it daily.

4.) It is really downright rude to say something like, "Oh, she's pretty...for an overweight girl" This is NOT a compliment of any kind.

5.) Just because someone is fat doesn't mean that they want a second helping, bigger portions, double burger, extra fries, etc. Don't assume that just because someone is big...that they want/need more food.

6.) It's not cool to make fun of a fat person that is trying to exercise. I have never had this happen to me...but I've seen it before..where an overweight girl is attempting to jog or walk or something..and people actually have the nerve to make fun of them. Um...aren't they trying to better themselves by exercising?

7.) Not all fat people want to lose TONS of weight and look like someone like Calista Flockhart (Ally McBeal). Most of us want to just be a healthy weight...not look like Twiggy. Repeat after me: curves are good. ;)

Anyway...I'll think of more later...or you want to add more..feel free. You get the idea of the thread...it can be about any group/stereotype/etc.

Subject: Re: Misconceptions about stereotypes

Written By: Jessica on 06/09/08 at 9:57 pm

I was just thinking about how people assume things about certain people and the way that they are.  For instance....this is something I can relate to....voluptuous (overweight) people. Here are a few that just irk me...

1.) Fat people DO not like to wear stripes, polka dots, huge floral prints, etc. Whatever fashion designer had this bright idea must have been someone that was thin.

Lord, you don't know how much I hate that. I am so glad places like Lane Bryant and The Fashion Bug exist.

2.) Not all fat people are out of shape. I happen to exercise regularly and I don't eat like a pig....why I am still overweight is another thing. Not all of us sit in front of the TV stuffing our faces with cookies and candy. I detest that.

This is true. I exercise and try to eat healthy. The only thing medically wrong with me is my blood pressure.

3.) Most of us really hate how we look to begin with. Staring, giggling, making fun...pointing out the obvious (ex. Wow...you are fat!) doesn't help. You aren't informing us of another wonder of the world. We already know that we are fat...we don't need reminded of it daily.

I'm guilty of staring and pointing and giggling back at them. Pisses people the hell off, but if you're going to start it....well, what can I say? :D

4.) It is really downright rude to say something like, "Oh, she's pretty...for an overweight girl" This is NOT a compliment of any kind.

I generally roll my eyes at this one.

5.) Just because someone is fat doesn't mean that they want a second helping, bigger portions, double burger, extra fries, etc. Don't assume that just because someone is big...that they want/need more food.

This is an unfortunate fact of my family. It doesn't matter if you're fat or thin, they'll still try to force feed you. I don't think I've ever encountered it in restaurants though.

6.) It's not cool to make fun of a fat person that is trying to exercise. I have never had this happen to me...but I've seen it before..where an overweight girl is attempting to jog or walk or something..and people actually have the nerve to make fun of them. Um...aren't they trying to better themselves by exercising?

I've had it happen to me. This is why I exercise late at night in our gym or I do the tapes in my condo. I just feel really uncomfortable trying to do my thang when other people are around.

7.) Not all fat people want to lose TONS of weight and look like someone like Calista Flockhart (Ally McBeal). Most of us want to just be a healthy weight...not look like Twiggy. Repeat after me: curves are good. ;)

Hell no. I want to get back to a size 14/16. That's good enough for me. Any skinnier and I'd look horrible.

This is a good topic. I can't think of any off the top of my head right now, but I definitely had to chime in on your example. :)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/09/08 at 10:01 pm

How about nerds?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/09/08 at 10:04 pm

How about nerds?

nerds RULE! :)

I've had it happen to me. This is why I exercise late at night in our gym or I do the tapes in my condo. I just feel really uncomfortable trying to do my thang when other people are around.

Hell no. I want to get back to a size 14/16. That's good enough for me. Any skinnier and I'd look horrible.

I hate exercising in front of people too. I normally do my exercise tapes in my house. I have a friend who is giving me her treadmill...so I am so happy about that. I just feel more comfy by myself. :)

Also...I only want to get back down to like a 12/14...I know what you mean..any smaller..ugh, I look horrible.

Written By: whistledog on 06/09/08 at 10:12 pm

How about nerds?

Nerds are a good example.  The typical nerd wears black glasses with tape in the middle, has a pocket protector in their shirt pocket, and often wears suspenders and a bow-tie.  Movies and TV depict this in stuff like "Revenge of the Nerds" and Steve Urkel on "Family Matters", but i've never seen it in real life

But a nerd can be definitive of anything, whether it be someone who has a love of something that you wouldn't normally expect, say Star Wars lovers, or Trekkies, etc ...

Written By: whistledog on 06/09/08 at 10:14 pm

nerds RULE! :)

I hate exercising in front of people too. I normally do my exercise tapes in my house. I have a friend who is giving me her treadmill...so I am so happy about that. I just feel more comfy by myself. :)

Also...I only want to get back down to like a 12/14...I know what you mean..any smaller..ugh, I look horrible.

I hate exercising infront of people as well.  I used to go to the gym all the time, but I always felt like I was on display .. the fat guy on the treadmill trying to get pencil thin.  Basically that's what I was trying to do, but I didn't want people thinking that lol

Nowadays, the only exercise I do is jogging around my neighbourhood.  My goal is still to be pencil thin, but at the rate I'm going, I'll get there by 2056 :\'(

Written By: Gis on 06/10/08 at 2:54 am

Nerds are a good example.  The typical nerd wears black glasses with tape in the middle, has a pocket protector in their shirt pocket, and often wears suspenders and a bow-tie.  Movies and TV depict this in stuff like "Revenge of the Nerds" and Steve Urkel on "Family Matters", but i've never seen it in real life

But a nerd can be definitive of anything, whether it be someone who has a love of something that you wouldn't normally expect, say Star Wars lovers, or Trekkies, etc ...
Well said sir! People are always shocked that Himself is a Star Wars geek as he looks so 'normal'  ::)

Written By: ladybug316 on 06/10/08 at 12:09 pm

Italians!  Despite tv portrayal, all Italians are NOT related to the mob (as my family can attest).

I'm also Irish and I hate beer.  I cannot tell you how many times people have found out my name was Shannon and wanted to fill me with Guiness!  8-P

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/10/08 at 1:27 pm

I have read and also learned from my nutrition course I took last year that just because people are overweight doesn't mean they're unhealthy. They've even done several measurements - comparing someone who's thinner to someone who's overweight and sometimes the overweight people were often healthier. I, myself, am somewhat thin, but you'd never know looking at me that I have high cholesterol! Sometimes even the thin people have misconceptions, too. But, still, I totally feel for you and I wish people could educate themselves enough to not be so ignorant of such stereotypes!

Written By: Howard on 06/10/08 at 2:41 pm

And they think that Jews are cheap,Well that's not true!

Written By: Green Lantern on 06/11/08 at 8:02 pm

Repeat after me: curves are good. ;)

"Curves are good ! Curves are good ! ..........." ( < Thinks .... "yes a nice handful of 'curves' would go down well !"  ;D  ).

Nowadays, the only exercise I do is jogging around my neighbourhood.  My goal is still to be pencil thin, but at the rate I'm going, I'll get there by 2056 :\'(

You must be  a SLOW jogger. 2056 .... for you to get there ?  ???  .... Well, if it takes you THAT long to jog around your neighbourhood, can't see you'll be doing much eating during that time.  Reckon you've got a GREAT chance of being 'pencil thin' !    8)

:P

;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/12/08 at 10:46 am

And they think that Jews are cheap,Well that's not true!

My dad is. He washes out paper cups to reuse them again. But that is not a Jewish thing because my husband is also a cheapskate.

Cat

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 06/12/08 at 10:20 pm

Here's a few more to add in, here:

-It is always assumed that Jewish males are all doctors, lawyers & politicians. My old band's guitarist, Steve, is a Photography teacher @ Butte Comm. College.

-It is assumed that Scandinavians are both perpetually happy & semi-brainless. Being a grandson of a Swedish woman, I can honestly say that she was a stern, intelligent and often humorless woman.

-Disabled people are universally acknowledged as "leprous and should be avoided like the Plague". I knew a few people who, like me, were physically challenged and were cool as HELL!

-Not all nerds/geeks, or to use a term from my day- "Bios", dress with suspenders, Pocket Protectors and Hush Puppies, and eat Peanut butter & mayo sandwiches. A "geekish" buddy of mine actually CAN hold her liquor, and dress fairly fashionably!

-Not all "fat" people are desperate, when it comes to sex. We larger people DO actually have standards. (Plus, it generally takes about 4X more booze to get us drunk...don't ask how I know.)

Written By: Howard on 06/12/08 at 10:24 pm

My dad is. He washes out paper cups to reuse them again. But that is not a Jewish thing because my husband is also a cheapskate.

Cat

Wow,my Father reuses stuff almost all the time too.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/12/08 at 11:53 pm

Italians!  Despite tv portrayal, all Italians are NOT related to the mob (as my family can attest).

I'm also Irish and I hate beer.  I cannot tell you how many times people have found out my name was Shannon and wanted to fill me with Guiness!  8-P

Then there's the old saying that Germans are ridged and can't tolerate change or anything disorganized.  My Mom is the opposite of it.

Written By: Green Lantern on 06/13/08 at 12:23 am

Then there's the old saying that Germans are ridged and can't tolerate change or anything disorganized.  My Mom is the opposite of it.

They might've been 'ridged' when they were in the trenches and probably marked in all kinds of ways ..... but I suspect you meant rigid ? 

:P  ;)

Sorry to mention the trenches. Whatever you do ............ DON'T ....

http://fashiontribes.typepad.com/main/images/fawlty_towers_2.jpg
Don't mention the war !    :D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/13/08 at 1:42 am

They might've been 'ridged' when they were in the trenches and probably marked in all kinds of ways ..... but I suspect you meant rigid ? 

:P  ;)

Sorry to mention the trenches. Whatever you do ............ DON'T ....

http://fashiontribes.typepad.com/main/images/fawlty_towers_2.jpg
Don't mention the war !    :D

Jeez, remind me not to type when I'm getting tired.

Yeah, they're still a bit emotional about that war that happened in the last century.

Written By: Green Lantern on 06/13/08 at 9:20 am

Jeez, remind me not to type when I'm getting tired.

Yeah, they're still a bit emotional about that war that happened in the last century.

Well, you do have to understand .......... that Britain (and I was born there)... has won SOD all, sporting wise since the 1966 world cup (football/soccer) .......until VERY recently .......... when they won the Rugby world cup. The nation went ballistic. Even better, was beating Australia, to reclaim the 'Ashes' ........... in cricket. So, ...... the UK goes ape over such events. Up until very recently ........... mentioning the 'war'.......... was about the ONLY thing .... other than the world cup, ......... that they could claim to have had ANY success in !  So, they/ the papparazi newspapers in Britain, would love to stir up some 'jingoism'  in the hope of sellling newspapers along the way ........ by depicting world cup socccer heroes in WW1 helmets, ready to face the old enemy .......... 'Germany' ...... in a fight to the death !    ::)    ;D

The Germans, quite rightly, would rub in .... that this was about the ONLY thing (other than 66 soccer cup) ...that Britain had managed to achieve.......... whilst Germany ........ had become the European economic 'superpower' !  So, Britain ....... stick THAT up your pipe .......... and smoke it !    :P      :D    ;D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/13/08 at 1:37 pm

Well, you do have to understand .......... that Britain (and I was born there)... has won SOD all, sporting wise since the 1966 world cup (football/soccer) .......until VERY recently .......... when they won the Rugby world cup. The nation went ballistic. Even better, was beating Australia, to reclaim the 'Ashes' ........... in cricket. So, ...... the UK goes ape over such events. Up until very recently ........... mentioning the 'war'.......... was about the ONLY thing .... other than the world cup, ......... that they could claim to have had ANY success in !  So, they/ the papparazi newspapers in Britain, would love to stir up some 'jingoism'  in the hope of sellling newspapers along the way ........ by depicting world cup socccer heroes in WW1 helmets, ready to face the old enemy .......... 'Germany' ...... in a fight to the death !    ::)    ;D

The Germans, quite rightly, would rub in .... that this was about the ONLY thing (other than 66 soccer cup) ...that Britain had managed to achieve.......... whilst Germany ........ had become the European economic 'superpower' !  So, Britain ....... stick THAT up your pipe .......... and smoke it !    :P      :D    ;D

Riots have been known to break out during rugby matches that make WW2 look like child's play.  Britain should have mentioned the fact that they helped start nations such as India.

Written By: Tam on 06/13/08 at 1:50 pm

Skinny women are not conceited and full of themselves! Surprising enough, we see flaws in ourselves too. Personally, I want to gain some weight because I think too skinny is nasty.

A male dressing in urban street wear does not make him a thug!

Tattoos on a woman does not mean they are easy or trashy!

Some men marry overweight women because they know she will never find someone else to cheat on him with! ... bogus!!!!!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/13/08 at 2:39 pm

Skinny women are not conceited and full of themselves! Surprising enough, we see flaws in ourselves too. Personally, I want to gain some weight because I think too skinny is nasty.

A male dressing in urban street wear does not make him a thug!

Some men marry overweight women because they know she will never find someone else to cheat on him with! ... bogus!!!!!!

I was going to mention that but you beat me to it. We know where that came from.  ::)

Cat

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 06/13/08 at 6:21 pm

And, as I'm sure our Northern brethern would tell us, 'A', that not all Canadians say 'A' after everything, 'A'?

I'm also sure they aren't just throwbacks from the 1970s, 'A'.

Written By: Howard on 06/14/08 at 9:13 am

or meaning they're tomboy-ish.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/14/08 at 9:49 pm

or meaning they're tomboy-ish.

Tomboys ROCK! :D

Written By: danootaandme on 06/15/08 at 5:41 am

Once again I had to explain, yes, people of color do tan  ::).  I am soooo tired of the "ooooh nice tan I am almost as dark as you" joke.  No,  you're not, so smear on some more Ban de Soleil and get back out there  ;D

Written By: Howard on 06/15/08 at 5:43 am

people who have a "better than you" syndrome thinking they have more money,better job and better parents. ::) >:(

Written By: danootaandme on 06/15/08 at 5:47 am

Miserable snots, usually have issues trying to make there lives seem better than they are.  I worked with a whole office full of people like that.  Once you get to know them you find they really envy you because people who really have good jobs, good parents, and enough money aren't trying to convince you they do.

Written By: Howard on 06/15/08 at 5:54 am

Miserable snots, usually have issues trying to make there lives seem better than they are.  I worked with a whole office full of people like that.  Once you get to know them you find they really envy you because people who really have good jobs, good parents, and enough money aren't trying to convince you they do.

Someone I used to know (ex)always or sometimes made fun of my job never knew how it felt to do outside work(be in my shoes),but always complained about her 9-5 clerical job and come home,has to cram 4 hours worth of things to accomplish before she goes to sleep at either 9 or 10. ::)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/15/08 at 7:04 am

Once again I had to explain, yes, people of color do tan  ::).  I am soooo tired of the "ooooh nice tan I am almost as dark as you" joke.  No,  you're not, so smear on some more Ban de Soleil and get back out there  ;D

I've been told that people of Sephardi decent don't get sun burn.  I proved that person wrong after 8 hours on the beach.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/15/08 at 10:29 am

I've been told that people of Sephardi decent don't get sun burn.  I proved that person wrong after 8 hours on the beach.

Ouch!  but it did prove the point  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/15/08 at 11:08 am

At the end of summer one year, someone remarked how dark Carlos was and he turned to a friend who has VERY dark skin and said, "Yeah, but I wanted to get as dark as him". His friend laughed but the person who made the remark didn't know how to respond.

Cat

Written By: Green Lantern on 06/15/08 at 11:11 am

At the end of summer one year, someone remarked how dark Carlos was and he turned to a friend who has VERY dark skin and said, "Yeah, but I wanted to get as dark as him". His friend laughed but the person who made the remark didn't know how to respond.

Cat

Was the person who made the original remark ........................... O. J. Simpson ?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/15/08 at 12:01 pm

Was the person who made the original remark ........................... O. J. Simpson ?

Nope-she was a white woman.

Cat

Written By: Green Lantern on 06/15/08 at 12:11 pm

Nope-she was a white woman.

Cat

Well, I did have a sneaking suspicion !      8)      ;)    ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/15/08 at 12:28 pm

Blue-collar Midwesterners do not all love George W. Bush.

Written By: Howard on 06/24/08 at 10:58 am

Mexicans are poor.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/24/08 at 1:03 pm

Hard work guarantees success.  Serious misconception.

Written By: tv on 07/03/08 at 1:18 pm

I think this is like a misconseption but why If a woman is built "Full figured" is she called big? I have realized as a guy in my late 20's that some women are just built like that(full figured) it doesn;t mean that they are nessecarily "big".

Written By: adagio on 07/03/08 at 4:27 pm

I think this is like a misconseption but why If a woman is built "Full figured" is she called big? I have realized as a guy in my late 20's that some women are just built like that(full figured) it doesn;t mean that they are nessecarily "big".

Most don't realize that.  It's good that you did at your age. :)

Written By: Step-chan on 07/03/08 at 6:10 pm

That all anime fans and gamers are either rail-thin or morbidly obese.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/03/08 at 10:16 pm

hugs to you! :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/03/08 at 11:54 pm

All Black people can dance; hence, my loving hubby.

Can I add something without being chewed out because I don't mean to be offensive.

All fat/big/full-figured women do not have curves. Sorry, but it had to be said.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/04/08 at 5:26 am

All fat/big/full-figured women do not have curves. Sorry, but it had to be said.

I've gotten bigger, but it is more like lumps, not curves  ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/04/08 at 5:31 am

middle-class people are considered poor.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/04/08 at 2:24 pm

Anyone who is interested in cemeteries is goth.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/04/08 at 4:29 pm

middle-class people are considered poor.

People have misconceptions as to who is actually middle class, working class, working poor, and poor.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/04/08 at 4:35 pm

Anyone who is interested in cemeteries is goth.

I have always loved cemeteries, and I have never been goth, but people have always thought it a bit weird.

Written By: Howard on 07/04/08 at 4:54 pm

People have misconceptions as to who is actually middle class, working class, working poor, and poor.

I may be middle class and I was never considered a rich mother fudger but I'm making money because I want to work,get out there,meet people and create a life for myself and maybe with someone else too.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/04/08 at 7:14 pm

I have always loved cemeteries, and I have never been goth, but people have always thought it a bit weird.

I've been ask if I was into the occult. ::)  My response was . . . nope just history.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/05/08 at 5:36 am

I may be middle class and I was never considered a rich mother fudger but I'm making money because I want to work,get out there,meet people and create a life for myself and maybe with someone else too.

There lies the misconception.  You are probably not middle class, you are probably working class. I say that because I don't know how much your parents have.  If they aren't well into the six figures a year, then they are working class.  For some reason we in the United States do not want to call ourselves working class.  Everyone with a job, even if it is minimum wage, thinks they are., and identifies themselves with, people making 10 times what they make. 

Written By: Howard on 07/05/08 at 5:38 am

There lies the misconception.  You are probably not middle class, you are probably working class. I say that because I don't know how much your parents have.  If they aren't well into the six figures a year, then they are working class.  For some reason we in the United States do not want to call ourselves working class.  Everyone with a job, even if it is minimum wage, thinks they are., and identifies themselves with, people making 10 times what they make. 

My father is retired and My Mother is an on-call teacher's aide for the summer.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/05/08 at 5:49 am

My father is retired and My Mother is an on-call teacher's aide for the summer.

Working Class, all the way.

Written By: Howard on 07/05/08 at 5:50 am

Working Class, all the way.

I'm the only one bringing home the bacon right now.

Check for new replies or respond here...