inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How Will It All End??

Written By: haleym8826 on 06/13/08 at 11:25 pm

As some of you may or may not know there is a rumor that the world will end in the year 2012. I myself do not believe that it will happen in thta year or anytime soon for that matter but hey, no one can know for sure right.

Even though i do not believe such rumors i still thought the topic was really interesting, and so i decided to make this thread for everyone here on the boards. this is the place for you to express your prediction, realistic or completely out of this world. Will aliens take over. will we crash into the sun and suffer a firey death or will we just slowly become extict allong with the other species on earth. Put it all her and talk over with your friends.

Subject: Re: How Will It All End??

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/13/08 at 11:25 pm

nobody knows when the world will end. If it does..it does. :-\\

Written By: haleym8826 on 06/13/08 at 11:31 pm

that swhat I am saying no one knows for sure. These people walk around screaming out dates like they no for sure and end up getting the world all hyped up on panic when its all just a load of bull. but still It would be nice to how people think it would go down.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/13/08 at 11:32 pm

that swhat I am saying no one knows for sure. These people walk around screaming out dates like they no for sure and end up getting the world all hyped up on panic when its all just a load of bull. but still It would be nice to how people think it would go down.

I know..I hate when people do that. ::)

Written By: haleym8826 on 06/13/08 at 11:37 pm

That wasn't even the only one i heard either. There was another one that was predicted by the mayans. They put out a date for the apocolypse but they keep date a different way than we do so I have know idea when they expect it to happen according to our time. either way it's a load of bull.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/13/08 at 11:38 pm

That wasn't even the only one i heard either. There was another one that was predicted by the mayans. They put out a date for the apocolypse but they keep date a different way than we do so I have know idea when they expect it to happen according to our time. either way it's a load of bull.

ya, I think I heard about that too. Even though it's a bunch of crap..it's still spooky to think of sometimes. :o

Written By: haleym8826 on 06/13/08 at 11:41 pm

Yeah it is. You hear about something like that and afte a while you put it out of your mind and continue with your life and next thing you know your friend says something about it and you start thinking about it again. It is like a constant reminder that no matter how happy or sad your life is there is going to be a time eventually when we will all die.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/13/08 at 11:47 pm

I believe, my world will end, when I take my last breath.  Nothing more complicated.  I'll probably die of a heart attack because of various factors, and it will probably be sooner then I'd really like it to be, because generally I'm enjoying life right now.

There have always been major events that have killed many people, be it natural disasters, disease, famine, rioting, war, just to name a few.  Whole societies have collapsed, many that seemed that would last forever.  Some have been extensively recorded in history, others...there is still alot of things we just don't know.  Our current society should not be expected to be any different.

It always makes for good speculation to think something catastrophic will happen to wipe out everything that we know now, and maybe that is possible, you always need to factor in unexpected things.  I'm sure if you'd talked to Krushchev in the early 60s, and told them by mid-90s their empire would be just a breath of what it was then...He'd have thrown his shoe at you.  Russia seems to be making a comeback now, so who knows what's to happen?  Can't really be predicted from what I see. 

Written By: haleym8826 on 06/13/08 at 11:54 pm

I believe, my world will end, when I take my last breath.  Nothing more complicated.  I'll probably die of a heart attack because of various factors, and it will probably be sooner then I'd really like it to be, because generally I'm enjoying life right now.

There have always been major events that have killed many people, be it natural disasters, disease, famine, rioting, war, just to name a few.  Whole societies have collapsed, many that seemed that would last forever.  Some have been extensively recorded in history, others...there is still alot of things we just don't know.   Our current society should not be expected to be any different.

It always makes for good speculation to think something catastrophic will happen to wipe out everything that we know now, and maybe that is possible, you always need to factor in unexpected things.  I'm sure if you'd talked to Krushchev in the early 60s, and told them by mid-90s their empire would be just a breath of what it was then...He'd have thrown his shoe at you.   Russia seems to be making a comeback now, so who knows what's to happen?  Can't really be predicted from what I see. 

Good point BookMistress.I mean other peoples prediction are completely fascinating even if some are a little far fetch but how many of them can really be labled as a far fetched prediction. i mean we already have so many predictions from science, from all of the different religions, and there are things that people just come up with. These are the things labeled as far fetched just because most people have the same idea in their head of how it will happen. but what if they are wrong and this  person with this "Crazy" idea isn't so crazy after all. We never can really know. Predictions is all we have

Written By: Howard on 06/14/08 at 6:40 am

Nothing you can do about it if the world ends.

Written By: haleym8826 on 06/14/08 at 10:32 am

Nothing you can do about it if the world ends.

bope all we can do is wait for it to happen

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/14/08 at 12:09 pm

Wasn't the world supposed to end sometime in the last century?  Doomsday prophets have had so many different dates for the end of the world. The earth would have been destroyed 200 times over if they were all right.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/14/08 at 5:18 pm

The world will end at 10. Details at 11.  :D ;D ;D ;D

William Miller said that the world was going to end around 1844-while he never actually gave a date, someone else did and all his followers believed it. They gave away all their Earthly possessions, donned white robes and climbed on roof tops & trees so the trip to heaven would be shorter. (I am not making this up. I did my undergraduate honor's thesis on this).

I too, have heard that the Mayans set a date for the world to end-Dec. 21(?) 2012. It could just be that that date is when a new era/clock will start (since they used a clock to measure years rather than a day like we do). People have been speculating that the world will end since the beginning of time. I think in today's age, we will know if the world will end because how I think it will happen will be:

1. Some idiot with his finger on the bottom will do it (hopefully, he/she will be stopped before that happen-like the president of the U.S. or Pakistan or even North Korea).

2. There will be some disease that would wipe out a good portion of the population but hopefully, the science community will come up with a way to stop it before it totally wipes everyone out.

3. An asteroid/comet will hit the Earth but hopefully, the science community will be able to divert it before it hits. 

4. The Sun will die out-but that is not supposed to happen for another billion years or so-give or take.

I can't imagine any other reason for the world to end-unless we are invaded by UFOs. 

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 06/14/08 at 5:36 pm

To quote Stephen King....This is the way the world will end, not with a bang but with a whimper.

2. There will be some disease that would wipe out a good portion of the population but hopefully, the science community will come up with a way to stop it before it totally wipes everyone out.

Written By: Howard on 06/14/08 at 7:18 pm

bope all we can do is wait for it to happen

any moment now...

Written By: haleym8826 on 06/14/08 at 9:04 pm

The world will end at 10. Details at 11.  :D ;D ;D ;D

William Miller said that the world was going to end around 1844-while he never actually gave a date, someone else did and all his followers believed it. They gave away all their Earthly possessions, donned white robes and climbed on roof tops & trees so the trip to heaven would be shorter. (I am not making this up. I did my undergraduate honor's thesis on this).

I too, have heard that the Mayans set a date for the world to end-Dec. 21(?) 2012. It could just be that that date is when a new era/clock will start (since they used a clock to measure years rather than a day like we do). People have been speculating that the world will end since the beginning of time. I think in today's age, we will know if the world will end because how I think it will happen will be:

1. Some idiot with his finger on the bottom will do it (hopefully, he/she will be stopped before that happen-like the president of the U.S. or Pakistan or even North Korea).

3. An asteroid/comet will hit the Earth but hopefully, the science community will be able to divert it before it hits.  

4. The Sun will die out-but that is not supposed to happen for another billion years or so-give or take.

I can't imagine any other reason for the world to end-unless we are invaded by UFOs. 

Cat

Wow. it is truly amazing what some people will do in the light of something that has a very large chance of being fake.It just goes to show that humans are easily persuaded.

Right now I would say that your first three theories are most likely. The third however depends on the size. If the comet is big enough then yes it could very well end the world but if is smaller then it could just end up being a repeat of the dinosaur era.

Written By: Howard on 06/14/08 at 9:27 pm

It will end when I say It'll end. >:( ;D

Written By: Powerslave on 06/14/08 at 11:00 pm

I too, have heard that the Mayans set a date for the world to end-Dec. 21(?) 2012. It could just be that that date is when a new era/clock will start (since they used a clock to measure years rather than a day like we do).

December 21, 2012 is when the current Mayan long calendar ends. It doesn't mean it's the end of the world. It just means that era has ended and a new one starts the next day. Our calendar ends every December 31, but that doesn't mean the world ends. Silly.

4 billion actually. :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/15/08 at 4:40 am

How will it end?  Nothing is over until we say it is!  >:(  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO6LVE_P-A8

Written By: Howard on 06/15/08 at 5:45 am

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/21/31389898_759a3485d2.jpg

Written By: danootaandme on 06/15/08 at 5:48 am

I DID IT MYYYYYY WAAAAAAYYY    ;D

Written By: Howard on 06/15/08 at 5:51 am

I DID IT MYYYYYY WAAAAAAYYY    ;D

singing like Frank Sinatra?

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 06/15/08 at 5:55 am

I've done my own investigating about the end time rumors and what I have found is actually quite troubling. I won't get into it all here, but what I will say is what I have discovered is like having a thousand piece jigsaw puzzle fall right into place before my very eyes. It's almost as if all the odd news going on in the world has a very common thread, from the incredible climate change taking place before our very eyes, to the unbelievable increase in fuel prices and the rationing of food, particularly rice, to the seed vault in Norway and the billion dollar thermal telescope the US had installed in Antarctica and the Vatican's involvement with a powerful telescope in Arizona. The end of the Mayan calendar is only the beginning (The Mayans were incredible astronomers, who knew things about our galaxy thousands of years before we re-discovered the information). There is so much more to discover and I am finding out more each and every day. As far as a specific date goes for the end of time, no one will ever know that date. I would tell everyone to go with their hearts and by their own instincts. Like animals who can sense when a storm or earthquake is about to hit, people have this same instinct as well. What is your heart telling you now? I know what mine is telling me...

Written By: haleym8826 on 06/15/08 at 10:54 am

I myself think that we, the inhabitants of the world, are going to be the downfall of it. If no then I think that we will last couple thousand more yeras. lol

Written By: Howard on 06/15/08 at 3:36 pm

I myself think that we, the inhabitants of the world, are going to be the downfall of it. If no then I think that we will last couple thousand more yeras. lol

If I can see the future for another 1000.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/08 at 3:39 pm

I blame the Mayans for all this.

Written By: Howard on 06/15/08 at 3:40 pm

I blame the Mayans for all this.

What did they do?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/15/08 at 4:38 pm

What did they do?

Most likely invented a calender with an option for doomsday.

Written By: haleym8826 on 06/15/08 at 8:22 pm

What did they do?

they started setting dates for the apocolypse

Written By: Howard on 06/15/08 at 10:28 pm

When's the apocolypse?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/08 at 2:20 am

When's the apocolypse?
When you see four horsemen in the sky.

Written By: Howard on 06/16/08 at 5:57 am

http://www.jjdillon.com/photos/horsemen.jpg

Ric Flair,Ole Anderson,Tully Blanchard and Arn Anderson.

Written By: ninny on 06/16/08 at 6:12 am

Who's to say it will end.I'm sure we all will be dead by then and so will are children and grandchildren. For all we know it might be millions of years from now...How is it going to end,will Jesus rise from the grave,will there be the 4 horsemen,or will we just blow up in a cloud of smoke,I just don't know.

Written By: Howard on 06/16/08 at 6:19 am

with just one *poof*.

Written By: ninny on 06/16/08 at 6:23 am

with just one *poof*.

Yep the really Big Bang theory

Written By: wsmith4 on 06/16/08 at 1:59 pm

I think it'll happen like this:

First, a shrub
Then a building
Then the whole damn skyline
We'll go up
In a cloud of dust
And it will be the end of ti-ime

Written By: haleym8826 on 06/16/08 at 2:55 pm

I Think it will happen when not a single person in the world is expecting it to happen.

When's the apocolypse?

the mayans scheduled date right now is 12/12/2012

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 06/16/08 at 5:33 pm

I would read about the star called Wormwood from Revelations: 8:7 through 8:12

8:11  The name of the star is called "Wormwood." One third of the waters became wormwood. Many people died from the waters, because they were made bitter.

Written By: haleym8826 on 06/16/08 at 5:50 pm

I would read about the star called Wormwood from Revelations: 8:7 through 8:12

8:11  The name of the star is called "Wormwood." One third of the waters became wormwood. Many people died from the waters, because they were made bitter.

Yes but the book of revelations can only go so far for peopl who share other beliefs

Written By: Step-chan on 06/16/08 at 5:54 pm

9:78566735

Umm... And then frogs appeared before him to give him news. And it was a surprise, for he wasn't prepared.

Okay, I suck at this. Nevermind. ::) :P :D :-\\

Written By: haleym8826 on 06/16/08 at 5:55 pm

9:78566735

Umm... And then frogs appeared before him to give him news. And it was a surprise, for he wasn't prepared.

Okay, I suck at this. Nevermind. ::) :P :D :-\\

nice attempt though. lol

Written By: La Roche on 06/16/08 at 5:55 pm

How will it all end?

I'll finally make the Bratwurst and Braunschweiger Vindaloo I've been threatening to cook for all these years.

Death and pestilence will follow.

Written By: haleym8826 on 06/16/08 at 5:57 pm

How will it all end?

I'll finally make the Bratwurst and Braunschweiger Vindaloo I've been threatening to cook for all these years.

Death and pestilence will follow.

Oh lord help us all.

lol. j/k

Written By: La Roche on 06/16/08 at 5:59 pm

Oh lord help us all.

lol. j/k

Pukka eh.

How will it really end? Some wanker will engineer a disease that will wipe pretty much everyone out. I'll be the sole member of the human race left (just my luck) but then I'll come across a nun training school somewhere in Argentina and have a great time. I can hope, wouldn't that make a great movie!

Written By: haleym8826 on 06/16/08 at 6:02 pm

Pukka eh.

How will it really end? Some wanker will engineer a disease that will wipe pretty much everyone out. I'll be the sole member of the human race left (just my luck) but then I'll come across a nun training school somewhere in Argentina and have a great time. I can hope, wouldn't that make a great movie!

Oh Yeah. Thats the next blockbuster there.

The only man to survive a horrid disease finds salvation at an argentinian Nun School

Written By: La Roche on 06/16/08 at 6:04 pm

Oh Yeah. Thats the next blockbuster there.

The only man to survive a horrid disease finds salvation at an argentinian Nun School

Exactly, because they're not nuns yet... so ya know, there'll still about getting some, but they're also young innocent south American beauties.

Booooong!

Written By: haleym8826 on 06/16/08 at 6:06 pm

Exactly, because they're not nuns yet... so ya know, there'll still about getting some, but they're also young innocent south American beauties.

Booooong!

Ther you go.

We just solved the puzzle of how the world die out and discovered how to re-populate too!!

Written By: La Roche on 06/16/08 at 6:07 pm

Ther you go.

We just solved the puzzle of how the world die out and discovered how to re-populate too!!

Cushdy.

Written By: Howard on 06/16/08 at 6:49 pm

Yep the really Big Bang theory

No,The Big Fart Theory. ;D

Written By: haleym8826 on 06/16/08 at 6:51 pm

thatd be a pretty smelly end of the world ???  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 06/16/08 at 6:57 pm

thatd be a pretty smelly end of the world ???  :-\\

Just Light A Match.  ;D

Written By: haleym8826 on 06/16/08 at 6:57 pm

Lol. Problem solved.

Written By: Howard on 06/16/08 at 6:59 pm

Question is,How Will it All Begin?

Written By: haleym8826 on 06/16/08 at 7:03 pm

Well Satan's Dad and I discussed this and we decided that after it ends there will be one guy who survived and a school of soon to be nuns. If he can make it to the nun school before they are officially nunified then he can help repopulate the world. Thats how it will all begin...again

Written By: Howard on 06/16/08 at 7:09 pm

It'll begin when Jesus Christ will come down and save us.

Written By: haleym8826 on 06/16/08 at 7:10 pm

But other people may believe otherwise

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/16/08 at 7:22 pm

Speaking of the world ending, have you seen this 30 second commercial currently airing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aLSjwH8LeQ

I get the humor in it, but it's kinda really scary to think about it so visually.  I was never a fan of those end of the world movies like Stephen King's The Stand, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrNNeUgg-wI

Written By: haleym8826 on 06/16/08 at 7:42 pm

Speaking of the world ending, have you seen this 30 second commercial currently airing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aLSjwH8LeQ

I get the humor in it, but it's kinda really scary to think about it so visually.  I was never a fan of those end of the world movies like Stephen King's The Stand, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrNNeUgg-wI

yeah i have seen that commercial before and it is scary to see the world like that

Written By: Step-chan on 06/16/08 at 7:49 pm

nice attempt though. lol

I've been reading ahead on a certain manga series... Which is what that post was based on. :D

Written By: haleym8826 on 06/16/08 at 7:53 pm

I've been reading ahead on a certain manga series... Which is what that post was based on. :D

its gotta come from somewhere right?

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/16/08 at 10:34 pm

Who knew that the re-legalization of the distillation of absinthe in the United States was a sign of the apocalypse?

I did.  The instant I dipped my tongue into the stuff.  I was tasting licorice for an hour after just one sip.  And at 70% (140 proof) alcohol by volume, even when suitably diluted by drizzling it over a filigreed spoon, one sip's plenty.  The alcohol draws all the flavor components straight into your tongue; after the fiery pain subsides, you'll be tasting licorice and anise for the next half hour.  Definitely an after-dinner drink, and while it's a fun novelty with friends, it's a real pain to try and pair with food.

Oh yeah.  End of the world.  Take your pick; there's an apocalypse for every taste at Exit Mundi.

Written By: Step-chan on 06/16/08 at 10:58 pm

its gotta come from somewhere right?

Yeah.

I have youtube to thank for my thoughts going in that direction. :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/08 at 1:57 am

I Think it will happen when not a single person in the world is expecting it to happen.

Just in time for Christmas?

Written By: Howard on 06/17/08 at 7:07 am

And I'll be 38.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/08 at 9:01 am

Will it be worth sending out the Christmas Cards that year?

Written By: haleym8826 on 06/17/08 at 10:46 am

\I dont know if they will make it. We might have to really celebrate christmas in July!!  :D :D :D :D

I will be 20. Not even old enough to drink before the world ends.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/08 at 11:14 am

\I dont know if they will make it. We might have to really celebrate christmas in July!!  :D :D :D :D
Why not celebrated two Christmases in 2011?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/08 at 11:15 am

I will be 20. Not even old enough to drink before the world ends.
I will make up for those who cannot partake in the drink at the time.

Written By: Tia on 06/17/08 at 11:22 am

well that's what friends are for! to get schnookered for those who cannot.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/08 at 11:26 am

well that's what friends are for! to get schnookered for those who cannot.
I better start stocking up the drinks cabinet right now.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/17/08 at 11:44 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1RrEAroZbw

Cat

Written By: Howard on 06/17/08 at 10:26 pm

I hope so.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/18/08 at 12:37 am

I'm making up for it right now!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/18/08 at 1:52 am

Who knew that the re-legalization of the distillation of absinthe in the United States was a sign of the apocalypse?

I did.  The instant I dipped my tongue into the stuff.  I was tasting licorice for an hour after just one sip.  And at 70% (140 proof) alcohol by volume, even when suitably diluted by drizzling it over a filigreed spoon, one sip's plenty.  The alcohol draws all the flavor components straight into your tongue; after the fiery pain subsides, you'll be tasting licorice and anise for the next half hour.  Definitely an after-dinner drink, and while it's a fun novelty with friends, it's a real pain to try and pair with food.

Oh yeah.  End of the world.  Take your pick; there's an apocalypse for every taste at Exit Mundi.

Absinthe looks so pretty, I once had some cough syrup that looked just like it.  Horrible stuff.  (I still remember the taste, and it's been 30-odd years).  ;D

What I find amusing is they used to put cocaine in Pepsi and Coca-Cola and use it at soda fountains for a "pick-me-up" but they would outlaw absinthe.  Strange.  I would swear they still put coke in diet coke, I drink so much of that darn stuff that I have to be addicted for some reason.  Just for the taste of it?  Yeah right.  ;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/18/08 at 2:28 am

Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice.

What I find amusing is they used to put cocaine in Pepsi and Coca-Cola and use it at soda fountains for a "pick-me-up" but they would outlaw absinthe.  Strange. 

Nobody said prohibition had to make sense.  In fact, it's more profitable if it doesn't make sense.  (You didn't think we wanted those laws to be obyed, did you?  There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws...)

All the politicians say that there's a new way coming to town,
Ah, but I ain't seen nothin', nothin' to stop this frown.
'Cos it's guns to the left, dollars to the right,
Down the barrel of an Armalite.
  - Danielle Dax, The Id Parade, (from Blast the Human Flower, 1990)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/18/08 at 3:08 am

Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice.

Nobody said prohibition had to make sense.  In fact, it's more profitable if it doesn't make sense.  (You didn't think we wanted those laws to be obyed, did you?  There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws...)

All the politicians say that there's a new way coming to town,
Ah, but I ain't seen nothin', nothin' to stop this frown.
'Cos it's guns to the left, dollars to the right,
Down the barrel of an Armalite.
  - Danielle Dax, The Id Parade, (from Blast the Human Flower, 1990)

Ah yes, it's always more tempting to do something, if you are told not to do it or told to not even think about doing it.  Heck, for most people that is as much of a green light to do something as just having no rules at all.  Rules are made to be broken (unless you are a goody two shoes (like me)  :P

Written By: Howard on 06/18/08 at 6:17 am

The world will never end,It'll just keep revolving.

Written By: Rex on 06/18/08 at 12:40 pm

How will it all end? The Texas Rangers will win the world series.

The universe will not be able to contain such an impossible outcome and will therefore simply cease to exist.

Written By: wsmith4 on 06/18/08 at 12:44 pm

Not true.  One day, the sun will explode and our little planet will vaporize.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 06/18/08 at 7:10 pm

at the sound of my voice.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/20/08 at 2:31 am

at the sound of my voice.
You will tell it to stop!

Written By: Howard on 06/20/08 at 6:07 am

You will tell it to stop!

Should I scream real loud?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/20/08 at 1:26 pm

Spinning silently in space.

Written By: Howard on 06/20/08 at 3:10 pm

Spinning silently in space.

up in orbit.

Written By: Johnny_D on 06/22/08 at 10:53 am

http://www.imheavyduty.com/wp/wp-content/images/music/REMItsTheEnd.jpg

Song by R.E.M., "It's The End Of The World As We Know It" ---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eyFiClAzq8&feature=related

Is the world going to end in 2012 A.D.?  Yes.

Did the world already end in 2012 B.C.E.?  Yes.

Is the world ending right now in this present moment?  Yes.

Did the world already end in the previous present moment?  Yes.

The apocalypse occurs in each present moment. Subatomic physics has proven that the persistence of form that we all take for granted on the macro-level of our human perception is an illusion. The literal meaning of the word apocalypse comes from the Greek word "apokalypsis", which can be translated as "the lifting of the veil" or "that which is revealed". In Western culture, the word apocalypse has taken on the additional meaning of "the end of the world as we know it". Combining those meanings yields this new meaning: the ongoing ending of form as we know it, realization of which reveals the impermanence of all forms and lifts the veil of the optical illusion of the apparent persistence of form that we all take for granted every day of our lives.

Written By: Tia on 06/23/08 at 2:09 pm

^ so really, the universe will only actually end on the macro level when it stops continually ending on the micro level?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/23/08 at 7:21 pm

^ so really, the universe will only actually end on the macro level when it stops continually ending on the micro level?
maybe you can have a dream about the end time since you've been having weird vivid dreams lately.

Written By: Howard on 06/23/08 at 7:27 pm

Who knows when it'll end.

Written By: Johnny_D on 06/24/08 at 10:06 am

The distinction between macro level and micro level is an artificial distinction, used in the present context to draw the reader's attention to the limits of non-technologically-enhanced human perception.

Macro-to-micro is an undifferentiated continuum, not an absolute boundary between opposites. The ongoing transformation of forms in the universe occurs throughout the whole of that entire continuum.

It basically comes down to this: in this present moment, we see a set of configurations of energy that we label "the universe".  In the next present moment, all of those configurations have been destroyed forever, and a completely new set of configurations is seen, since energy is in constant flux.  It is possible for humans to fail to perceive this fact, due to the hypnotically persuasive optical illusion of configuration-persistence.

Written By: Howard on 06/24/08 at 10:21 am

When the fat lady sings.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/08 at 7:06 am

When the fat lady sings.
In that case I do not wish to hear her sing!

Written By: Howard on 06/25/08 at 9:51 pm

In that case I do not wish to hear her sing!

Then it should end.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/26/08 at 5:46 am

Then it should end.
It will all be over then.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/26/08 at 6:05 am

When the fat lady sings.

Hey!  My singing isn't that bad!  >:(  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/26/08 at 6:14 am

Hey!  My singing isn't that bad!   >:(  ;D
We speak of a different lady singing.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/26/08 at 6:26 am

Oh okay!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 06/26/08 at 6:41 am

The opera singing fat lady.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/08 at 2:17 am

The opera singing fat lady.
Not all opera singers are fat.

Written By: Howard on 07/02/08 at 7:11 am

Not all opera singers are fat.

Some of them are skinny.

Written By: Watcher29 on 07/03/08 at 1:47 pm

If bad opera were the sign of the world's ending, then it has already ended.
If it has already ended, then we are all dead.
If I am dead and *this* is the afterlife I get, I am damn disappointed.

Written By: Red Ant on 07/03/08 at 7:00 pm

"Some say a comet will fall from the sky.
Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves.
Followed by faultlines that cannot sit still.
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipsh*ts.

Some say the end is near.
Some say we'll see armageddon soon.
I certainly hope we will cuz
I sure could use a vacation from this

Stupid sheesh, silly sheesh, stupid sheesh...

One great big festering neon distraction,
I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied:

Learn to swim."

From Tool's "Aenima".

I'm not one for doomsday predictions, but I think the world as we know it will end when easy sources of petroleum run out.

Ant

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/03/08 at 8:18 pm

The sky will collapse with a thunderous bang, everything disintegrating in a huge conflagration

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/03/08 at 10:26 pm

The World Is Coming To An End And YOU MAY DIE.

It will end when the Pleasure Saucers will have come to take all who have paid their $30 (eternal salvation guaranteed, or triple your money back!).  This will happen on X-DAY XI, July 5, 2008, at precisely 7:00 AM local time, or my name isn't J.R. "Bob" Dobbs.

Now I'll admit that we may have been wrong about the originally-prophesied date of July 5, 1998, and we may have been wrong for every July 5th thereafter, but by Dobbs, we promise this time it'll be different.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/04/08 at 3:35 am

The World Is Coming To An End And YOU MAY DIE.

It will end when the Pleasure Saucers will have come to take all who have paid their $30 (eternal salvation guaranteed, or triple your money back!).  This will happen on X-DAY XI, July 5, 2008, at precisely 7:00 AM local time, or my name isn't J.R. "Bob" Dobbs.

Now I'll admit that we may have been wrong about the originally-prophesied date of July 5, 1998, and we may have been wrong for every July 5th thereafter, but by Dobbs, we promise this time it'll be different.
7:00 AM local time, but which local time where?

Written By: Howard on 07/04/08 at 5:52 am

The sky will collapse with a thunderous bang, everything disintegrating in a huge conflagration

everything? :o

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/07/08 at 12:02 am

7:00 AM local time, but which local time where?

As a point of doctrine, local time everywhere.

And since I'm still here to write this, and you were still here to ask this, July 5, 2009.  Everyone claiming 2008 was tarred and feathered and invited back for next year's devival.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/07/08 at 12:04 am

everything? :o
yes... everything, so we better have a Real Life Meeting and a big bash/party before it's too late  8)

Written By: star80 on 07/07/08 at 1:06 am

The world will never end according to the biible.  It will be destroyed by fire as we know it, but who can say when.  I do know that this rumor has been around for centuries.  I watched a documentary on the Antichrist and it seems that is a bunch of malarky also.

Written By: Howard on 07/07/08 at 7:03 am

yes... everything, so we better have a Real Life Meeting and a big bash/party before it's too late   8)

sounds good,are you coming?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/08 at 1:11 am

The world will never end according to the biible.  It will be destroyed by fire as we know it, but who can say when.  I do know that this rumor has been around for centuries.  I watched a documentary on the Antichrist and it seems that is a bunch of malarky also.
That sounds reassuring.

Written By: Howard on 08/05/08 at 7:47 am

We'll all still be here when the world ends.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/08 at 8:30 am

We'll all still be here when the world ends.
Online, when it happens.

Written By: Howard on 08/05/08 at 5:52 pm

Online, when it happens.

You mean,online will blow up? :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/08 at 5:55 pm

You mean,online will blow up? :o
We will all be virtually together when it occurs

Written By: Howard on 08/05/08 at 5:58 pm

We will all be virtually together when it occurs

That I hope so.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/08 at 5:58 pm

That I hope so.
...or at home with our loved ones.

Written By: Howard on 08/05/08 at 5:59 pm

...or at home with our loved ones.

Yes,our loved ones are very important.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/08 at 1:37 pm

Yes,our loved ones are very important.
We share every together.

Written By: Howard on 08/06/08 at 6:32 pm

We share every together.

memories are very important.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/08 at 4:12 am

memories are very important.
Memories are made of this

Written By: Howard on 08/07/08 at 6:23 am

Memories are made of this

I thought it was "Sweet Dreams"?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/08 at 8:26 am

I thought it was "Sweet Dreams"?  ???
When it does happem we will not know what has hit us.

Written By: Howard on 08/07/08 at 8:16 pm

When it does happen we will not know what has hit us.

We'd be unconscious.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/08/08 at 2:41 am

We'd be unconscious.
But there will still be a point we will be all conscious

Written By: Howard on 08/08/08 at 6:12 am

But there will still be a point we will be all conscious

Which point is that?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/08/08 at 6:17 am

Which point is that?  ???
The point of consciousness will be up to the point of not knowing what has happened.

Check for new replies or respond here...