inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: They know nothing of our "world"

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/17/08 at 5:33 pm

I was thinking about how the internet is like a whole little "world"..with many different communities here and there. We here at inthe00's represent only a minute fraction of the myriads of other groups/communities in the virtual world. I was also thinking about how some people (mainly the elderly) know not a thing of this "world".

I think of my own grandparents...they don't own a computer, they wouldn't know the first thing about starting it up, logging onto the internet. I mean you might as well blindfold them and drop them in the middle of nowhere, because that is how it would be if you handed them a computer and said, "GO."

I think of all of the possibilities out there, the things to experience and learn, the people to meet....all of this enabled by being on the internet...and they don't know about any of it...yet, they are very content.

I also think back to when I was younger and didn't have things like the internet. Of course I never knew about anything like that..so I had nothing to compare it with...but things were so simple back then..and we were content.

Children of today though are exposed to the net at a very young age. Vaughn loves to go on the computer already, and you wouldn't believe how computer savvy he is at the young age of 6 (although he's been going online to play games since he was like 2-3). It's a different world now for the youth..compared to how it was when we were young. When they grow up to be the "elderly"..things will be so different than they are now.

Subject: Re: They know nothing of our "world"

Written By: ladybug316 on 06/17/08 at 10:29 pm

About 10 years ago my friend's 3 year old was introduced to the computer at preschool and I thought "don't 3 year olds just bang on the keyboard without any comprehension of what it is they're doing?" - HA!  What the hell did I  know?!

Now it's my daughter's turn to impress me with her computer savvy (she's 5) and we have older relatives that think she's a genius because she can "type", send emails, and navigate herself around a heap of websites (Starfall and Brainpop are awesome for the little ones.)

I think computers are like most everything in life, it's best to learn young when you're fearless.  Kids have no concept of how they can screw stuff up with the computer, whereas someone older is afraid to "break the thing". 

I wonder what I'll be intimidated by in 40 years....

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/17/08 at 10:30 pm

About 10 years ago my friend's 3 year old was introduced to the computer at preschool and I thought "don't 3 year olds just bang on the keyboard without any comprehension of what it is they're doing?" - HA!  What the hell did I  know?!

Now it's my daughter's turn to impress me with her computer savvy (she's 5) and we have older relatives that think she's a genius because she can "type", send emails, and navigate herself around a heap of websites (Starfall and Brainpop are awesome for the little ones.)

I think computers are like most everything in life, it's best to learn young when you're fearless.  Kids have no concept of how they can screw stuff up with the computer, whereas someone older is afraid to "break the thing". 

I wonder what I'll be intimidated by in 40 years....

I know what you mean Shannon. BTW..thanks for the links, we'll check them out! :)

Written By: ladybug316 on 06/17/08 at 10:33 pm

Here are the links.

http://www.brainpopjr.com/
http://www.starfall.com/

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/17/08 at 10:35 pm

Here are the links.

http://www.brainpopjr.com/
http://www.starfall.com/

thanks girl! :)

Written By: ladybug316 on 06/17/08 at 10:45 pm

Sure thing :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/08 at 2:38 am

People can still just view only, but to contribute is our little world.

Check for new replies or respond here...