inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why do you suppose they keep showing the same movies repeatedly over the years

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/22/08 at 11:25 pm

Why do you suppose some movies are shown many, many times on television over the years, while others are rarely seen?

I was thinking about a movie that I heard was good (but had never seen) and thought "Well why have I never seen that movie?"  It's because I rarely (if ever) have seen it in the listings on television.  The Commitments was about a group of everyday Irish? kids/young adults forming a band that sang Motown? stuff.  I'd always meant to get around to watching it, but since my hearing is pretty bad, I'd need to read closed captioning if I were to even hope to get the story/plot of the movie. 

Subject: Re: Why do you suppose they keep showing the same movies repeatedly over the years

Written By: Gis on 06/23/08 at 6:54 am

Interesting you say that as I often find in books on movies they mention 'classics' in certain genres which I have never seen because they are never shown. yet as you say certain films, and not necessarily good ones, are repeated again and again.

Subject: Re: Why do you suppose they keep showing the same movies repeatedly over the years

Written By: Howard on 06/23/08 at 6:55 am

A Christmas Story.

Written By: wsmith4 on 06/23/08 at 9:08 am

A Christmas Story.

Profound.

I think they show them again and again based on ratings.  People watch them... I notice "My Best Friend's Wedding" is on TV a lot... And then of course there are the classics like Sound of Music and Mary Poppins :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/23/08 at 11:23 am

It has to do with royalties. Some movies can be shown with the networks/channels paying little or no royalties. Others, they have to pay a huge chunk of change. So they have to decide what is cost efficient. If you have a block buster movie that they know will fetch a lot of viewers, sponsors are willing to pay for it-but if it is some obscure movie, sponsors are less apt to take a chance on it.

The bottom line is that it has to do with the bottom line. Money makes the world go round.

Cat 

Written By: ninny on 06/23/08 at 12:57 pm

I really don't mind if they show the classic movies every year,you know at least once a year you can see The Wizard Of Oz,The Sound of Music,and of course all the Christmas Classics,I use to love watching movies on TCM channel..What I get iritated with is the pay channels like Cinamax,I think in the past week my husband and I could of watched The Shining or The Departed 6 times each,They need more movies.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/23/08 at 9:45 pm

Why are there so many about weddings?  It's depressing, considering the divorce rate!
::)

Written By: Howard on 06/24/08 at 10:36 am

Why are there so many about weddings?  It's depressing, considering the divorce rate!
::)

You mean Wedding movies?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/26/08 at 1:42 am

It has to do with royalties. Some movies can be shown with the networks/channels paying little or no royalties. Others, they have to pay a huge chunk of change. So they have to decide what is cost efficient. If you have a block buster movie that they know will fetch a lot of viewers, sponsors are willing to pay for it-but if it is some obscure movie, sponsors are less apt to take a chance on it.

The bottom line is that it has to do with the bottom line. Money makes the world go round.

Cat 
It makes cheaper television viewing for the televisiion company.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/08 at 2:30 am

It makes cheaper television viewing for the televisiion company.
The same applies to Jessica Fletcher.

Written By: Howard on 07/02/08 at 6:53 am

Maybe it's because they have nothing else to show on television anymore.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/04/08 at 2:15 am

Maybe it's because they have nothing else to show on television anymore.
True!

Written By: Howard on 07/04/08 at 4:33 pm

True!

The holidays are a factor.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/09/08 at 5:54 am

If it is not cheap movies it is sport on tv.

Written By: Howard on 07/09/08 at 6:50 am

If it is not cheap movies it is sport on tv.

Like Tennis,Bowling,Wrestling and baseball.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/10/08 at 3:00 am

Like Tennis,Bowling,Wrestling and baseball.
Horse racing is the mainstay over here, but we do have The Open Golf Championship on in a few weeks time.

Written By: Howard on 07/10/08 at 7:24 am

Horse racing is the mainstay over here, but we do have The Open Golf Championship on in a few weeks time.

What about Football?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/02/08 at 4:07 pm

What about Football?
Sky TV has the rights to the Premiership

Written By: Howard on 08/02/08 at 4:35 pm

cause it's the summer season and tv viewership is down.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/02/08 at 5:18 pm

cause it's the summer season and tv viewership is down.
...and the children are home from school.

Written By: Bobby on 08/02/08 at 5:46 pm

Good point. I'm sure old dependable films are cheaper to dish out to the masses than a blockbuster movie. I'll never forget that Disney's Dumbo was a staple for Christmas in the UK 1980s, pretty much a yearly occurance and The Sound of Music is becoming synonymous with the Christmas holidays . . .  ::)

Subject: Re: Why do you suppose they keep showing the same movies repeatedly over the yea

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/02/08 at 9:21 pm

The very best christmas movie ever made was The Ref with Denis Leary, and then Bad Santa with Billy Bob Thorton.
Christmas story used to be my fav.

Written By: Howard on 08/03/08 at 5:55 am

...and the children are home from school.

and they're going to be watching the same films over and over.

Subject: Re: Why do you suppose they keep showing the same movies repeatedly over the yea

Written By: Bobby on 08/03/08 at 7:10 am

The very best christmas movie ever made was The Ref with Denis Leary, and then Bad Santa with Billy Bob Thorton.
Christmas story used to be my fav.

I heard good things about Bad Santa. I may have to watch it for a laugh.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...